The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

I went to a local university to give an astronomy presentation today. It feels good to be back in the swing of things. It's been a rough two years. Students still had classes of course but all the programs available to the public have been closed down until now. It's nice to see people back. I hope it stays that way but there is always a chance we could get another serious variant. 

Finally got some time on the Ninja after going crazy not riding it for a week. It was cold but not enough to stop me. I got a little yard work done too.  It's snowing now. MotoGP racing on TV at 6:00 tonight. Anybody paying attention to March Madness? I haven't been. The Boar's Nest Bears didn't even make the Sweet Sixteen. 

We had a tragedy only a couple miles from me. 3 little kids and their grandmother all killed in a house fire. It happened around suppertime. Normally when that many people die it is in the middle of the night. No reports from the neighbors of explosions or anything. 

At least the Mexicans work unlike some of the other immigrants that have basically been given a green card no ? asked lately.

You're always hearing bout  Mexicans killing peoplle driving drunk. It happened just this week around here! ( middle Tn.) Go see if you can make their survivors understand that!

Edited by Hobie Hartkins

Erie PA made the national news tonight for a school shooting. Thankfully the victim's injuries aren't serious. Really warm today but it's not going to last. Got a lot of outside work done and went for a Ninja ride. Baseball is getting ready to start. My Pirates will finish last again. Hopefully my second favorite team, the Braves, will win the World Series again. 

4 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Erie PA made the national news tonight for a school shooting. Thankfully the victim's injuries aren't serious. Really warm today but it's not going to last. Got a lot of outside work done and went for a Ninja ride. Baseball is getting ready to start. My Pirates will finish last again. Hopefully my second favorite team, the Braves, will win the World Series again. 

Cousin Roger Duke... I am Braves fan too! :)

On 11/25/2021 at 3:52 PM, HossC said:

Thanks, Roger. HazzardNet is very much a team effort by all the Hazzardites.

I hope everyone's enjoying their turkey. I probably won't get any until nearer Christmas when turkey and ham starts to appear on menus. One of the local sandwich shops usually does a turkey, ham, stuffing and cranberry mayonnaise special which I'm looking forward to.

This post needs a yum reaction button ;)

On 4/15/2022 at 11:52 PM, RogerDuke said:

I turned 62 today (Fri). Since I am now eligible to collect Social Security I guess that makes me a senior citizen. I was born on a Good Friday and became an old man on a Good Friday. 

Happy belated Birthday. Hope it was a good one.

Was going to do maintenance on the mowers yesterday but we had lunch with a friend and lost track of time. Didn't get home till 4:30. I'll just get to it next weekend, hopefully the weather will be warmer by then.

On 4/16/2022 at 4:52 AM, RogerDuke said:

I turned 62 today (Fri). Since I am now eligible to collect Social Security I guess that makes me a senior citizen. I was born on a Good Friday and became an old man on a Good Friday. 

And belated birthday wishes from me, Roger (sorry, I was out until late yesterday). A friend of mine turned 62 at the beginning of the month - I should've remembered that you were about 10 days younger.

2 minutes ago, HossC said:

And belated birthday wishes from me, Roger (sorry, I was out until late yesterday). A friend of mine turned 62 at the beginning of the month - I should've remembered that you were about 10 days younger.

John Schneider is your friend? LOL He turned 62 on April 7. 

What a strange day. It snowed here up on Lake Erie, quite a bit in fact. But the ground was so warm that it melted as soon as it hit. That's weird but not real weird for here. My daughter lives in northern Virginia and it snowed enough to turn the place into a winter wonderland....and that is extremely rare for south of the Mason Dixon line in mid April. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cool but beautiful day today and the next two are going to be even better. I put a winter coat on to take the Ninja out but I think a jacket will be enough tomorrow. The dirt track opens tomorrow (Fri) for the first race of the year and the dirt bike track opens for racing Saturday. I won't take the Ninja Friday night because it will be pretty cold coming home at midnight and it's a heavy deer area coming home...always dangerous in the dark. I am taking it to the dirt bike track though, where it will stick out in the crowd pretty well. 

If these Gen Y Z or millennial's, or whatever they want to be called, don't get their act together the USA won't make it to 2100. Don't want to work or the ones that do think $15-20/ hr should be starting pay for entry level jobs. Giving them advice is like talking to a brick wall too as I found out earlier this week as they think they know everything.

There are some good ones out there but there are less and less of them. Every generation in the United States has gotten softer for awhile now and we are treading into dangerous waters now that we have so many people who think that everything should be handed to them. Put them on the farm for awhile. Uncle Jesse will set them straight.

42 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

There are some good ones out there but there are less and less of them. Every generation in the United States has gotten softer for awhile now and we are treading into dangerous waters now that we have so many people who think that everything should be handed to them. Put them on the farm for awhile. Uncle Jesse will set them straight.

Cousin Roger Duke... He sure would! ;)

10 hours ago, Spike said:

If these Gen Y Z or millennial's, or whatever they want to be called, don't get their act together the USA won't make it to 2100. Don't want to work or the ones that do think $15-20/ hr should be starting pay for entry level jobs. Giving them advice is like talking to a brick wall too as I found out earlier this week as they think they know everything.

There a meme that's been going around for a while now that says:

If you think you are smarter than the previous generation...50 years ago the owners' manual of a car showed you how to adjust the valves. Today it warns you not to drink the contents of the battery.

I'm not sure if it's true, but it kinda sums up the situation.

As Spike says, a lot seem to expect a certain level of pay even when they're just starting out. One of the younger guys where I work is constantly asking how much extra he'll get for anything slightly out of the ordinary and wants his gas paid for if he has to drive to a site.

There's another meme that says:

If we all switched to cursive handwriting and manual transmissions, we could cripple an entire generation of idiots.

I've also seen it with analogue clocks added into the list. Having said that, less and less new cars are available with a manual transmission (they've always been way less popular in the US compared to Europe), so do this generation need to know how to drive them? Things move on. There are plenty of things that this generation do in which I have no interest, e.g. paying for something with my phone. Over 50+ years I've developed ways of doing things that I know work. There may be better ways of doing them, but the old phrase about not being able to teach an old dog new tricks rings true sometimes!

20 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Right on cousin Roger! I can take them out to some farms out here and they will do stuff they never dreamed of! Then they'll know what REAL work is!!  ( I know...I'm country and I've dome it!)  

Let me take a moment to vent. I am such a lucky person that I still have both my parents and I am 62. I have to tell you though that it is so painful to see both of them in so much emotional and physical pain all the time. This just gets tougher and tougher every day and will continue to do so until they are gone. I guess it's part of life and I shouldn't complain because it's better than dying young but this is painful. My dad reminds me so much of Jesse in the reunion show. Once a big strong man like Jesse, he now can't even make it to the mailbox. Tough stuff.

Today is a bank holiday in Ireland, and I went to my first car show in a couple of years. I wasn't quite the turnout or era I was expecting, but there were some interesting cars there. There were also some stationary engines and a couple of working miniature traction engines. I'm sure that Roger would've enjoyed the vintage tractors. I know virtually nothing about them, but my friends spent a while looking over several of them and chatting with their owners.

Yesterday I visited the Japanese Gardens & Irish National Stud. They're very near The Curragh, an area of common land known for its horse breeders. Despite the drizzle, the gardens were beautiful, with lots of unusual plants and stepping stones through a stream.