The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

On 11/2/2021 at 6:33 PM, HossC said:

I don't know what it's like in the US, but our fuel seems to go in price a couple of times a week at the moment. The post I'm quoting was only two weeks ago, and yet it just cost me almost €1.72/litre to fill up - that's $7.54/US gallon at today's rates!

Our fuel seems to have gone up about 5% in the last week. I filled up on Saturday at €1.88.9/litre, which comes out at almost $7.80/gallon. There were reports on the radio of a gas station somewhere in Ireland charging €2/litre ($8.25/gallon). How are you guys doing?

21 hours ago, HossC said:

Our fuel seems to have gone up about 5% in the last week. I filled up on Saturday at €1.88.9/litre, which comes out at almost $7.80/gallon. There were reports on the radio of a gas station somewhere in Ireland charging €2/litre ($8.25/gallon). How are you guys doing?

Here we shot up above $4 a gallon overnight. It was in the $3.40's last week. The morning news showed a gas station in California was at $6.95 for regular but they have a special blend and pay the highest state taxes on fuel. We were thinking about getting out and doing some road tripping this year now that most of the Covid restrictions have been lifted but if prices are going to be above $4 or possibly $5 looks like we'll just stick close to home. 

It turned out to be the Crankshaft sensor on my car. They also changed the fuel filter and cleaned the throttle body. And luckily while it was there the brake line bursted. They were moving it out of the shop when it happened so they replaced that too. Glad it happened there instead of when one of us was driving it. Total bill was $450. 

Feeling better this week. Took a Covid test and it came back negative. Lost my voice for 3 days, wife enjoyed the quiet :lol: . Throat still hurts a little and nose is still leaky but at least the sinus pressure is gone. Hope everyone has a good week.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

It turned out to be the Crankshaft sensor on my car. They also changed the fuel filter and cleaned the throttle body. And luckily while it was there the brake line bursted. They were moving it out of the shop when it happened so they replaced that too. Glad it happened there instead of when one of us was driving it. Total bill was $450.

That's about what I paid a couple of weeks ago to get my car through its annual roadworthyness test. In my case I needed rear shocks and a few other bits and pieces - the price includes the cost of the test. I still may need to replace the sensor that reads the key fob. I've gone to my spare key, and it's behaving better at the moment.

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Feeling better this week. Took a Covid test and it came back negative. Lost my voice for 3 days, wife enjoyed the quiet :lol: . Throat still hurts a little and nose is still leaky but at least the sinus pressure is gone. Hope everyone has a good week.

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I have a sore  throat too. Yesterday they knocked me out and stuck a device down my throat to look at my heart. I have a valve that will need replaced someday and they have to keep an eye on it. It looks like the valve isn't yet bad enough to need replaced but I do need a different test to look at it better. It's called a cardiac MRI. I sure hope covid is behind us.....at least the worst of it......it might never be completely behind us. 

On 3/7/2022 at 9:57 AM, HossC said:

My neighbor went to get gas yesterday. The big tall sign said $4.09. He went to the pump and it said $4.19. He looked up at the big sign and it still said $4.09. He started pumping and looked up again and it was $4.19. 

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

My neighbor went to get gas yesterday. The big tall sign said $4.09. He went to the pump and it said $4.19. He looked up at the big sign and it still said $4.09. He started pumping and looked up again and it was $4.19.

The place where I filled up on Saturday is now charging €2.09.9/litre ($8.66/gallon) - I nearly had a heart attack when i saw the sign!

On 3/8/2022 at 12:40 PM, RogerDuke said:

I liked this one guy that worked at a store gas station, he'd warn you before changing the price. He'd come out and yell "ya got 5 minutes then the price goes up so hurry up and fill up". Unfortunately he doesn't work there anymore, he went on to greener pastures. 

I am definitely not a spontaneous person but I stepped out of character and cancelled the order for my dirt bike that is taking forever to get here and bought a bike they had in stock. It is my first new bike and my first sport bike, a 2022 Ninja 400. Not exactly a redneck bike but I'll probably trade it in next year for a dirt bike. I just want to experience one for awhile. It wasn't any more expensive than the dirt bike I have been waiting for.

On 3/9/2022 at 10:06 PM, RogerDuke said:

You folks will probably laugh at this, but just to keep my astronomy skills sharp, every Jan 1, I start going through my annual checklist that includes every constellation and major Solar System object....

And no, I'm not making this up....

Tonight I saw Uranus with binoculars. 

oh Roger....! Just when you THINK you know somebody....!! ;) 

On 3/10/2022 at 11:23 PM, RogerDuke said:

I am definitely not a spontaneous person but I stepped out of character and cancelled the order for my dirt bike that is taking forever to get here and bought a bike they had in stock. It is my first new bike and my first sport bike, a 2022 Ninja 400. Not exactly a redneck bike but I'll probably trade it in next year for a dirt bike. I just want to experience one for awhile. It wasn't any more expensive than the dirt bike I have been waiting for.

Just be careful riding it. God knows why but drivers seem to think motorcycles can stop on a dime. Watched a dashcam video on YouTube last night that gave a riders view of flying through the air after a lady did a U turn right in front of him. Shockingly she didn't get any charges against her and to top it off she was uninsured because of past dui's and was driving her parents Audi. Apparently the insurance on the parents Audi won't cover her driving it because of those past dui's so the motorcycle rider is S.O.L. The rider ended up in a wheelchair for a while but has regained the ability to walk again. 

Yesterday was an interesting weather day. Morning started off snowing temps were in the teens, got about 1/16th of an inch total, then by 1pm the sun was out and in the mid 40's. Today it's supposed to be sunny and 70 degrees. 

Unfortunately it looks like the years of alcohol and drug abuse finally caught up to wrestler Scott Hall aka Razor Ramon. He's on life support after suffering 3 heart attacks after hip surgery. 

Edited by Spike

Unfortunately it looks like the years of alcohol and drug abuse finally caught up to wrestler Scott Hall aka Razor Ramon. He's on life support after suffering 3 heart attacks after hip surgery. 

Edited 9 hours ago by Spike

This shows you how long I've been out of it! I remember Scott Hall from WAY back but didin't know he and Razor Ramone were one and the same!!  :o

14 hours ago, Spike said:

Just be careful riding it. God knows why but drivers seem to think motorcycles can stop on a dime. 

Thanks for your concern. Counting my mini-bike experiences I have half century of safe driving on 2 motorized wheels under my belt but that doesn't mean much when so many idiots are out there. The good news is that I live in the sticks and the most traffic it will see is small towns with only one or 2 traffic lights. I just need to get it out of my system. I don't want to regret never owning a Ninja when I'm old.....ummm older. 

14 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

This shows you how long I've been out of it! I remember Scott Hall from WAY back but didin't know he and Razor Ramone were one and the same!!  :o

It's amazing his career survived the goofy gimmicks that WCW came up with for him such as Gator and later the Diamond Studd before WWF called him up. Vince and the creative team would at least let wrestler's have a say in their character in the WWF unlike WCW at the time. Kevin Nash and the Undertaker as well both had goofy gimmicks in WCW before hitting it big in WWF. 

Scott passed away last night after several hours off of life support :cry:

Since AT&T is turning off 3g network this month tracfone sent my dad a smartphone to replace the ancient phone he had. I had a fun 3+ hours yesterday showing him how to at least make calls on it. Why the :censored: couldn't they have just sent him a flip phone. And he makes everything out to be harder than it actually is and boy did I have a banger of a headache when I got home. He should've been happy they sent him a $100 phone for free and that he finally has a phone that has a signal away from the interstates instead of :censored: the whole time.

11 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I've seen a couple stories about a new covid variant coming out. I haven't heard anything about it being anything to be too concerned about yet. 

I'm supposed to pick up my Ninja on Thursday. 

I hope we don't get that Hong Kong variant that was mentioned on the news the other day. Guess that city is #1 in Covid deaths in the world at the moment.

Happy St. Patrick's Day everybody.

I picked up the Ninja yesterday. All I've ever driven the past 45 years is older beat up motorcycles. It was amazing to ride a sport bike....especially something new. 

Maybe Hoss can figure out how to post a picture of it. It is a 2022 Ninja 400 that is metallic gray/metallic black. If you look up different colors, it is the only one with green stripes on the tire rims. I love it but I think it is only a phase. I plan on trading it in for a dirt bike next spring. I just had to do this once in my life. It is fast!

6 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Happy St. Patrick's Day everybody.

I went to see our St Patrick's parade at lunchtime. It was a smaller affair than usual as the relatively recent lifting of restrictions didn't leave much time for organizing things. Nonetheless, we had a lovely day with blue skies (unlike some other parts of the country). After that, I got to go on the temporary Ferris wheel set up near the castle. We went back after getting something to eat, thinking either the wheel or the vintage carousel might be fun at night, but in the end we just took some pictures. Maybe tomorrow...

Time will tell but you might be right. This latest variant doesn't sound any worse than a common cold but that doesn't mean the next one won't be bad. 

Raining today but my Ninja got ridden 3 days in a row before this. I'm still getting used to it but felt pretty comfortable yesterday. The biggest thing I don't like is that I don't feel like a redneck on it. Oh well, after the novelty wears off I'll trade it for a dirt bike.