The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

I'm sitting here watching the Cardinals vs Rams game. James Conner just scored another touchdown. He was leading the NFL in TDs this year. He went to high school near me. I've talked to him a couple times. The best player in the NHL, Connor McDavid went to the same school (McDowell, Erie Pa) and is friends with my nephew. 

Technology is amazing. I popped in the Hazzardville Horror episode in our new 4k bluray player and wow is that thing great at upconverting dvds to 4k video. The only way the General would look better is in real life. I could even count the buttons holes on Roscoe's and Cletus's shirts. There was only one scene with a bit of judder but I think that was due to the contrast of Daisy's Jeep against the dark background. I think I'm going to have to watch the whole series again just to enjoy it in 4k. 

7 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

The comet was supposed to be just under Venus tonight but of course it was cloudy.

A friend of mine was talking about seeing a comet or something similar earlier in the week.

7 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Covid sure is having a toll on the NFL, NBA and NHL.

Five out of 10 Premier League soccer matches have been postponed due to Covid, as have several international rugby matches.

I got to see some live music tonight for the first time in ages. As part of the local Christmas events there are various acts playing on a temporary bandstand in town. Tonight it was a local family where the father sings, the mother plays piano and the son is an international award winning violinist. Funnily enough, they were the main act when I sang in the cathedral a couple of years back (we joined them on stage for 'Nessun Dorma'), and I've since found out that the mother is the cousin of friends of mine (well, this is Ireland after all!). To top it off, the mother had made Christmas cake for afterwards. :)

Read the craziest review of the Polar Express movie on Amazon. Somebody was actually traumatized watching it :rofl:. I swear these snowflakes these days... I was checking if there was a 4k bluray version available but there isn't.

Got a new pair of glasses Friday though I think they messed up the right lens, it's blurry instead of clear. They said give it a week for my eyes to adjust but I don't see that working. The left lens is great I can see clear out of that better than my old pair. 

On 12/19/2021 at 7:57 PM, Spike said:

Got a new pair of glasses Friday though I think they messed up the right lens, it's blurry instead of clear. They said give it a week for my eyes to adjust but I don't see that working. The left lens is great I can see clear out of that better than my old pair. 

Turns out the right lens was defective. Yesterday while putting my glasses back on while watching the local morning news I noticed something. The news ticker at the bottom of the screen in the right lens was going in a 45 degree angle to the upper right instead of straight across. I grabbed my old pair of glasses for comparison and the right lens in that one the ticker was going straight across like it's supposed to. So it's like my right eye was looking through a funhouse mirror for a few days. That explains the eye pain and headache's I've had all weekend. I took a picture with my phone and it showed the same thing I was seeing so I showed the lady at the eyeglass store yesterday and have to wait another 2 weeks for new and hopefully correct glasses.

Yesterday I finally finished rewiring the vintage ceramic pot belly stove lamp we bought at a garage sale last month. I started the project Monday but had to stop because I had to glue up some broken ceramic chips that broke off around the wiring holes when I was disassembling it. I'm glad I never plugged it in to see if it works because whoever wired it before used 3 different wires. I went to Menards to grab some more parts and rubber washers to protect the ceramic from the brass nuts and threaded rod. I did a little research on it after I found a name on the inside but came up empty aside from a dead link to an eBay listing. I assume from the brittleness of the ceramic and the previous wiring that it's got to be over 30 years old at least. It looks great with the new shade. 

Omicron Covid variant is not to be taken lightly. Neighbor was taken in an ambulance to a hospital yesterday. She never got the vaccine. She's been fighting it for the past few weeks but apparently took a turn for the worse yesterday. Do your research and get the vaccine you think is right for you. We're praying she pulls through and comes back home.

We've being doing antigen tests at work on a weekly basis for the last month, but so far they've all been negative. Pubs and restaurants here now have to close by 8pm. We've been wearing masks in stores and other indoor spaces from the beginning. A friend only got her negative test back yesterday, so at least she'll be able to enjoy Christmas. I got my booster shot on Monday, and other than a slightly sore arm on Tuesday night, I've had no adverse side effects.

I still haven't gotten vaccinated. I've been paying attention to the news and even though they say that people who have had covid should get vaccinated, they also say that it is extremely rare for people to get covid twice. Of the few people who have gotten it twice, it is extremely rare that their symptoms are worse than the first infection. Since I got it in July 2020, I will keep an eye on the data. If a lot of people who got covid before July 2020 are getting it again, I'll get vaccinated. I have to admit I'm a little concerned about mRNA technology, since it has never been marketed before this. Still, I see both sides of the story and would never be critical of anybody who got the vaccine. I hate that people on both sides are villifying the other. 

My uncle and Aunt were going to have all their clan over for Christmas so they bought everyone Covid tests. Their big get together turned into a small one. 3 of my cousins got Covid. 2 got the J&J vaccine and the other is unvaccinated. So far they all just have minor symptoms. 

Wife and I got our boosters today. 

On 12/25/2021 at 10:58 AM, RogerDuke said:

I still haven't gotten vaccinated. I've been paying attention to the news and even though they say that people who have had covid should get vaccinated, they also say that it is extremely rare for people to get covid twice. Of the few people who have gotten it twice, it is extremely rare that their symptoms are worse than the first infection. Since I got it in July 2020, I will keep an eye on the data. If a lot of people who got covid before July 2020 are getting it again, I'll get vaccinated. I have to admit I'm a little concerned about mRNA technology, since it has never been marketed before this. Still, I see both sides of the story and would never be critical of anybody who got the vaccine. I hate that people on both sides are villifying the other. 

One of my wife's coworkers actually got it twice. First time she got it it wasn't bad but the 2nd time, which was probably the Delta variant, kept her in bed for a week. She still refuses to get vaccinated. 

On 12/26/2021 at 7:10 PM, Spike said:

My uncle and Aunt were going to have all their clan over for Christmas so they bought everyone Covid tests. Their big get together turned into a small one. 3 of my cousins got Covid. 2 got the J&J vaccine and the other is unvaccinated. So far they all just have minor symptoms. 

Wife and I got our boosters today. 

One of my wife's coworkers actually got it twice. First time she got it it wasn't bad but the 2nd time, which was probably the Delta variant, kept her in bed for a week. She still refuses to get vaccinated. 

Did she get tested both times?  A friend of mine just said that his 30 year old son just got it for the second time. We're getting quite a bit of snow now. Why couldn't we have had that for Christmas? 

8 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

Did she get tested both times?  A friend of mine just said that his 30 year old son just got it for the second time. We're getting quite a bit of snow now. Why couldn't we have had that for Christmas? 

Yep, both times positive for Covid. 

Booster shot packed same punch the regular shots did. Wife of course had the brunt of side effects again, aches and pain and headache. I had more aches this time than with the other shots.

Still haven't heard anything about the neighbor, we hope she's getting better. 

Finally getting snow here too, unfortunately a few days late but I'm still in the Christmas mood so why not.