The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

My elderly mom has also become like that. It's pretty sad to see, especially since they don't have a very big house. It's hard to believe how clean and organized she used to be. Both of my parents are in bad shape. I like to think positive and be grateful that they made it to their 80s but it sure hurts to see them in so much pain, both physically and mentally. 

7 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

My elderly mom has also become like that. It's pretty sad to see, especially since they don't have a very big house. It's hard to believe how clean and organized she used to be. Both of my parents are in bad shape. I like to think positive and be grateful that they made it to their 80s but it sure hurts to see them in so much pain, both physically and mentally. 

Unfortunately my dad's always been a bit of a hoarder. It's never gotten to the extreme point that are on those Hoarders shows where there's only a small path throughout the house. But it would probably take about a month to go through everything in the house and garage to make sure there's no hidden money or valuable antique or comic or Playboy book. Last week reminded me why I'd rather not go through the stuff with him because his greedy side comes out, if he thinks anything is worth money it's got to be his even if it's mine. In his haste to move a stripper into my old bedroom years ago he just threw a bunch of stuff in boxes without marking it and threw it in the 3rd bedroom. When I got home that day last week I told the wife id rather just sell the whole room and let someone else go through it all instead of dealing with the stress and angst.

And speaking of Playboy did y'all catch the news yesterday on the latest cover model :crazy:, good lord what is this world coming too. 

On 9/30/2021 at 1:21 AM, Spike said:

Heads up about the latest Windows update it may take your PC or laptop a long time. My wife's laptop was stuck on the Wait just a moment screen for about an hour and a half now it's stuck on the Getting Windows Ready screen. Good luck.

I finally let Windows install its update tonight. I'm not sure exactly how long it took because I left the room, but it was under 10 minutes. Maybe I've still got the big one to come. :-o

1 hour ago, HossC said:

I finally let Windows install its update tonight. I'm not sure exactly how long it took because I left the room, but it was under 10 minutes. Maybe I've still got the big one to come. :-o

That's good. 

I read today that Windows will be rolling out the 11 upgrade soon for free if they deem your computer worthy :roll:. You can still install it if they think your PC can't handle it but you'll have to download an ISO file and either put it on a dvdr or USB drive to install it, and for updates this way you will most likely have to re-download the updated iso and install it. The other catch is you have to have a Microsoft account. 

5 hours ago, Spike said:

That's good. 

I read today that Windows will be rolling out the 11 upgrade soon for free if they deem your computer worthy :roll:. You can still install it if they think your PC can't handle it but you'll have to download an ISO file and either put it on a dvdr or USB drive to install it, and for updates this way you will most likely have to re-download the updated iso and install it. The other catch is you have to have a Microsoft account. 

I smell B.S.!  ( Bovine Scatology!)

Looks like summer ends this week. Forecast for Saturday and next week is lows in the 40's and highs in the 60's. I'll most likely bring my non native succulent's back in the house Saturday. I think this is the longest I've ever left them out, I usually have to bring them in at the end of September. 

Had to change one of the taillight bulbs so I ended up getting Sylvania Zevo led bulbs yesterday. The regular incandescent bulbs are now made in China and you can tell, last set I bought years ago were made in USA or mexico. The led ones were just a bit brighter than the incandescent ones and filled out the reflective area better plus they come on a few milliseconds faster. 

It's a good idea to stock up on stuff. I'm hearing many stories of current and future shortages. It's a tough call because stocking up on stuff with potential future shortages seems irresponsible to society but not providing for your loved ones is irresponsible to your family. Baseball is down to 5 teams. The Red Sox and Astros will battle for a World Series appearance and the Braves will battle the winner of the Dodgers vs Giants Thursday night.

It's a good idea to stock up on stuff. I'm hearing many stories of current and future shortages. It's a tough call because stocking up on stuff with potential future shortages seems irresponsible to society but not providing for your loved ones is irresponsible to your family. Baseball is down to 5 teams. The Red Sox and Astros will battle for a World Series appearance and the Braves will battle the winner of the Dodgers vs Giants Thursday night.

Stocking up isn't irresponsible, that's just being smart. Stocking up after you've already stocked up is irresponsible to society. Had to stop my dad from going to Sam's club every week during lockdown because he would buy another pack of paper towels or toilet paper after we found out he had 4 packs of each already. My old bedroom is his stock room now. He has about 2 or 3 years worth of toothpaste, at least a year's stock of paper towels and toilet paper and garbage bags, enough cereal and oatmeal to probably feed a family of 4 breakfast for a few months etc...

The price of some products have really gone up. I did the grocery shopping Friday, since we had plans for the weekend and it was raining all day so I wasn't going to be mowing, and got a bit of sticker shock on some of the groceries. Some of the items have increased by a dollar or more within the past few months. 12 pack of soda is now $6, month ago it was between $4.50-5 depending on the store. Store brand spaghetti sauce went from 99 cents to $1.30-1.50. Bread went up about a quarter. Gas shot up around here as well last week, you're lucky if you can find a station under $3 a gallon now, highest price is $3.59.

Mother nature flipped the switch on the weather. Went from 70's and 80's Thursday to the 50's for high temps over the weekend. Expecting our first frost this Friday night. 

22 hours ago, HossC said:

I don't have much sympathy - I filled up with unleaded last night at €1.67/litre. If my sums are correct, that's about $7.33/US gallon.

Ouch. If prices got that high here I bet people would riot lol. Looking at the European excise tax rate it looks like Ireland citizens pay about $2.54 in excise tax per gallon, UK about $2.76 per gallon then you also have VAT taxes on top of that and like the USA I imagine you guys have local taxes added as well. For comparison in the USA excise tax is just 18.4 cents per gallon, Ohio adds another 38.5 cents per gallon in taxes for a total of 56.9 cents in taxes no matter the price of fuel. 

For the amount you guys are taxed I hope your road's are great. I wouldn't mind paying a little more in fuel tax if the roads had a lot less potholes here. 

6 hours ago, Spike said:

Ouch. If prices got that high here I bet people would riot lol. Looking at the European excise tax rate it looks like Ireland citizens pay about $2.54 in excise tax per gallon, UK about $2.76 per gallon then you also have VAT taxes on top of that and like the USA I imagine you guys have local taxes added as well. For comparison in the USA excise tax is just 18.4 cents per gallon, Ohio adds another 38.5 cents per gallon in taxes for a total of 56.9 cents in taxes no matter the price of fuel. 

For the amount you guys are taxed I hope your road's are great. I wouldn't mind paying a little more in fuel tax if the roads had a lot less potholes here. 

Someone sent me a video last week of an independent TD (member of parliament) giving a speech to Dáil Éireann (the Irish parliament) about the breakdown in fuel prices. He said that out of every €100 of petrol (gas) sold, €39.92 goes to the manufacturer, €3.08 goes to the retailer, and €57.00 goes to the government, despite the government not having any involvement in the manufacture or selling of the fuel.

Added to that is the way they try to tax older, less economical cars off the road. The other day I was reading YouTube comments about what a bargain E39 5-Series BMWs are a the moment. It's true, I can buy one for around €3k, but the road tax on the 3.0 litre gas model is €1,400/year. The tax scale was changed in 2008, so older cars with big engines are harder to sell when they get to this price level. The exception is "vintage" cars, i.e. ones that are 30 years old or more. I could tax, for example, an old Mustang with a massive V8 engine for €56/year. Of course, I'd still have to fill it with heavily taxed fuel!

BTW. There are still plenty of potholes in the roads.

On 10/18/2021 at 7:59 AM, Spike said:

The price of some products have really gone up. 

If you can find it at all. Nobody wants to unload ships. Nobody wants to drive trucks. Nobody wants to work in stores. The government pays folks too much to stay home. Those people being lazy just laugh at the people who do work. 

The Braves had a chance to take a 3 games to none lead but blew it in the eight inning by giving up 4 runs. 

If you can find it at all. Nobody wants to unload ships. Nobody wants to drive trucks. Nobody wants to work in stores. The government pays folks too much to stay home. Those people being lazy just laugh at the people who do work. 

Wait and see....ol' Hobie will be proven right! The work shortage is manufactured , so  how are they going to get materials moved, sold, tyransported, worked, etc. BRING MORE MEXICANS IN SO WE'LL ALL BE HAPPY!  :)  

6 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

Wait and see....ol' Hobie will be proven right! The work shortage is manufactured , so  how are they going to get materials moved, sold, tyransported, worked, etc. BRING MORE MEXICANS IN SO WE'LL ALL BE HAPPY!  :)  

At least the Mexicans work unlike some of the other immigrants that have basically been given a green card no ? asked lately.

17 hours ago, HossC said:

Someone sent me a video last week of an independent TD (member of parliament) giving a speech to Dáil Éireann (the Irish parliament) about the breakdown in fuel prices. He said that out of every €100 of petrol (gas) sold, €39.92 goes to the manufacturer, €3.08 goes to the retailer, and €57.00 goes to the government, despite the government not having any involvement in the manufacture or selling of the fuel.

Added to that is the way they try to tax older, less economical cars off the road. The other day I was reading YouTube comments about what a bargain E39 5-Series BMWs are a the moment. It's true, I can buy one for around €3k, but the road tax on the 3.0 litre gas model is €1,400/year. The tax scale was changed in 2008, so older cars with big engines are harder to sell when they get to this price level. The exception is "vintage" cars, i.e. ones that are 30 years old or more. I could tax, for example, an old Mustang with a massive V8 engine for €56/year. Of course, I'd still have to fill it with heavily taxed fuel!

BTW. There are still plenty of potholes in the roads.

Wow just €3 to the retailer, makes you wonder how some of them stay in business. Almost 2/3rds going to the government. Wonder what an audit on your government would show about what all that revenue gets spent on.

The only vehicle's that are a bargain here in the states are ones that belong in a junkyard. Even 20 year old compacts are going for $5,000 or more these days if they're around 100,000 miles or under. 

8 hours ago, Spike said:

Wow just €3 to the retailer, makes you wonder how some of them stay in business. Almost 2/3rds going to the government. Wonder what an audit on your government would show about what all that revenue gets spent on.

It's not hard to see why most gas stations have added convenience stores, delis and coffee shops to supplement their income from the fuel.

8 hours ago, Spike said:

The only vehicle's that are a bargain here in the states are ones that belong in a junkyard. Even 20 year old compacts are going for $5,000 or more these days if they're around 100,000 miles or under. 

I was watching the video below about that very subject last night. A car that had been involved in a crash and then cheaply and very badly repaired. Some of the comments suggest that this is now common practice in some dealers.

11 hours ago, Spike said:

At least the Mexicans work unlike some of the other immigrants that have basically been given a green card no ? asked lately.

The danger  is Not the Mexicans per se....it's ALL the immigrants.!!! 

On 10/20/2021 at 4:51 PM, HossC said:

I was watching the video below about that very subject last night. A car that had been involved in a crash and then cheaply and very badly repaired. Some of the comments suggest that this is now common practice in some dealers.

Oh yeah with the chip shortage driving up prices even on used cars dealerships can actually make a profit on cars that would otherwise go to the junkyard if they have an in house body shop to repair them as long as they can source cheap junkyard parts. If you buy a used car these days definitely get a report on it and have it checked out by a mechanic. 

I brought all but one cactus in Saturday, I figured it would enjoy the deluge of rain today. Yesterday morning the low got down to 35, a few degrees lower than was forecasted so I kind of wish I brought that last one in but it should be fine. 

That's always good advice about getting a used car checked out and especially now. A mechanic just told me some parts are unavailable and that is going to get much worse and could last a year. Can you imagine having a car that needs a vital part but otherwise is fine and not being able to drive it for a year?!

I'm pretty excited about the Braves in the World Series!

That's always good advice about getting a used car checked out and especially now. A mechanic just told me some parts are unavailable and that is going to get much worse and could last a year. Can you imagine having a car that needs a vital part but otherwise is fine and not being able to drive it for a year?!

I'm pretty excited about the Braves in the World Series!

Some parts are now being made in America again. I was checking out automotive light bulbs and see the Sylvania brand is mostly American made now. If you have a reflector type lens I can recommend their Zevo line of led bulbs. 

With the rain we got that finally ended last night we are now close to setting a new record for rainfall in October, right now it's the 2nd wettest October on record but we're forecasted to have another 1+ inches of rain Thursday-Saturday. 

Yesterday for the 4th time this month an Amazon driver left someone else's package at my door. I'm getting sick of dropping packages off to the apartment office so they can contact the person it's supposed to go to. Told the wife maybe we should keep the next one to see if the delivery driver comes back in a day or two to get the package and deliver it to the right address.