The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

Woke up early this morning to what sounded like someone dumping buckets of water on the roof. Turned on the local weather radar channel and seen a big blotch if red right above our area. According to the local news In less than an hour we got over 2 inches, possibly 3 inches, of rain, 10 miles west of us got over 5 inches of rain in the same time frame. And the lightning, never seen anything like it, there was so many flashes you could read a book by the light of it. Where we park the cars is sort of a peak in the parking lot luckily so the water never reached our cars, but some of the cars parked in the lower section of the lot had water upto the bottom of the doors. The downpour was so fast that it even moved some of the parking pads into the middle of the parking lot. 

Glad to hear you're ok Hobie :cheers:

Edited by Spike

On 8/25/2021 at 4:37 PM, Spike said:

It was ok getting up there, coming down not so easy, thank god I used to do Yoga everyday which made it easier to balance myself on a not so stable ladder. 

Biggest yard I ever mowed with a push mower was 3/4 acre, had to stop to refuel the mower up to finish the yard, Lady paid me $40 to do it so not bad for about 2hrs work. She ended up selling the house 2 months after hiring me to mow and the new owners were going to have their kids mow so it was nice while it lasted. You know Roger if you get yourself a goat or two and they could take care of the mowing for ya as long as you can keep them from eating everything else in sight. 

When I bought my property in 1979 I did have a goat to clean the weeds out. His name was Nelson. I sold him to a guy up the road named Virgil who ate him. Virgil would eat anything. My yard takes 4 hours to mow with a push mower and another hour if I do all my trails.

8 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

Thanks cousin! I just got finished closing on the sell of my mother's house and now I just have to wait until the middle of Feb. to get the money! ( This is one of the things that has been kept me busy and pre-occupied.)

Did ya make out like a bandit? Or did the bandits get you?

Found out last month this one guy that has annual garage sales we go to got screwed before the housing boom. He sold his cabin on Lake Erie for nowhere near what it was worth because he had some medical bills to pay. The buyer lowballed him and with Covid lockdown beginning he figured he wouldn't get a better offer so he took it. 

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Did ya make out like a bandit? Or did the bandits get you?

Found out last month this one guy that has annual garage sales we go to got screwed before the housing boom. He sold his cabin on Lake Erie for nowhere near what it was worth because he had some medical bills to pay. The buyer lowballed him and with Covid lockdown beginning he figured he wouldn't get a better offer so he took it. 

I was offered 605 but it was taking too long to close ( I'm down to the last few hundred dollars)  and so I went with a 550 offer. The lawyer made out like a bandit!  I had t o pay him 2463 and total closing cost was 37000. I paid out the A$$!! ( although I HAVE walked away...SO FAR with 513....though I have to check on my taxes.) 

8 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

I was offered 605 but it was taking too long to close ( I'm down to the last few hundred dollars)  and so I went with a 550 offer. The lawyer made out like a bandit!  I had t o pay him 2463 and total closing cost was 37000. I paid out the A$$!! ( although I HAVE walked away...SO FAR with 513....though I have to check on my taxes.) 

513 as in $513,000 or $51,300?

Junkyard came and picked up the Cavalier today :( . Sad seeing her go. Wish I could have given it to someone for a parts car but the junkyard gave me an offer I couldn't pass up.

The good weather's holding over here, so we took another trip to the seaside today. We started with a walk around the cliffs, and followed that with a few hours on a nice, quiet beach. I even had another little swim. We finished off the day going along the coast to a place called Youghal. It reminded me of Dukes, because it's pronounced "y'all". :)

23 hours ago, Spike said:

513 as in $513,000 or $51,300?

Junkyard came and picked up the Cavalier today :( . Sad seeing her go. Wish I could have given it to someone for a parts car but the junkyard gave me an offer I couldn't pass up.

$513,000....things are very expensive in down town Franklin and this house is just average.....1800 Sq. Ft.

40 minutes ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

$513,000....things are very expensive in down town Franklin and this house is just average.....1800 Sq. Ft.

:-o I'd be heading to the nearest Ferrari dealership with that check in hand, then again could head to the Chevy dealership and buy his and her Corvette's and still have plenty of money left over. Someone bought a house up the road for half a million but the house also sits on 5+acres of land.

The management of these apartments is so stupid. Had to make an emergency maintenance call because our kitchen faucet sprung a leak. Maintenance guy installed a new faucet but had to Jerry rig the hoses because the ones that came with the faucet weren't long enough and he couldn't just go to Lowe's, Home Depot etc... to just get longer ones. They can only use what's in the storage shed if it ain't there then you're S.O.L. till they can order it and it gets delivered. And now the Jerry rigged hoses are leaking so got to wait till our regular maintenance guy gets in tomorrow to see if he can fix it.

26 minutes ago, Spike said:

:-o I'd be heading to the nearest Ferrari dealership with that check in hand, then again could head to the Chevy dealership and buy his and her Corvette's and still have plenty of money left over. Someone bought a house up the road for half a million but the house also sits on 5+acres of land.

The management of these apartments is so stupid. Had to make an emergency maintenance call because our kitchen faucet sprung a leak. Maintenance guy installed a new faucet but had to Jerry rig the hoses because the ones that came with the faucet weren't long enough and he couldn't just go to Lowe's, Home Depot etc... to just get longer ones. They can only use what's in the storage shed if it ain't there then you're S.O.L. till they can order it and it gets delivered. And now the Jerry rigged hoses are leaking so got to wait till our regular maintenance guy gets in tomorrow to see if he can fix it.

OR.......I could save it, put it with what I've got and never have to work another day in my life!! ( What do you think I'm fixin' to do? :)  )

6 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

I'm like 'ol Jesse. I wouldn't leave if they gave me a billion. I bought my property in 1979, the first year Dukes came out and it is just as much a part of me as my arms and legs are. 

On 8/29/2021 at 10:24 PM, RogerDuke said:

I'm like 'ol Jesse. I wouldn't leave if they gave me a billion. I bought my property in 1979, the first year Dukes came out and it is just as much a part of me as my arms and legs are. 

Normally you'd be right but Franklin has gone straight to Hell. When Saturn moved in and all the GM trash came down here,m they brought ma, pa, the kids, grandma , the dog etc. etc. NOW....we're overcrowded, overtaxed and congested, takes forever to get anywhere....used to take 10 min. tops. Most everybody was dirt poor and didn't care because nobody knew...it didn't take money to live there.. But now..... 

On 8/31/2021 at 7:28 PM, Hobie Hartkins said:

Normally you'd be right but Franklin has gone straight to Hell. When Saturn moved in and all the GM trash came down here,m they brought ma, pa, the kids, grandma , the dog etc. etc. NOW....we're overcrowded, overtaxed and congested, takes forever to get anywhere....used to take 10 min. tops. Most everybody was dirt poor and didn't care because nobody knew...it didn't take money to live there.. But now..... 

My Saturn was made there. They were actually good reliable cars till some dipstick beancounter at GM decided to force Saturn to share platforms, engines and transmissions etc... with the other brands and the Ion is what came out of that and ruined the reliability. 

9 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

They call that progress Hobie......but old rednecks like us know it's just the opposite.

Exactly! Progress is just a buzz word to sell what they're trying to do to the country and the world!  It should be spelled with quotes, " Progress". Is it REAL progress??  If so, is that the kind you want to make? You can progress over the side of a cliff!! ( But do you want to??)

13 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

Exactly! Progress is just a buzz word to sell what they're trying to do to the country and the world!  It should be spelled with quotes, " Progress". Is it REAL progress??  If so, is that the kind you want to make? You can progress over the side of a cliff!! ( But do you want to??)

Kind of like Daisy's car progressed over the cliff.....( you guys remember the name of it....Hoss?....??)

3 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

Kind of like Daisy's car progressed over the cliff.....( you guys remember the name of it....Hoss?....??)

2 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

Kissing Cliff????  

Well remembered, Hobie. The closed captions actually leave out the "g", so it's Kissin' Cliff, but you'd never know that by listening. The boys were planning to double back on old Tar Road, but we all know what happened!

On 9/2/2021 at 1:48 AM, Hobie Hartkins said:

You can progress over the side of a cliff!! ( But do you want to??)

The word progressive has evolved.....and now whenever I hear them use it in a political sense I always say "oh, you mean progress toward destroying America?" That's exactly what they want to do. One of their weapons is censorship, for example: taking the best show  to ever grace a TV screen off the air and censoring the most famous car to ever drive the face of the Earth. 

Edited by RogerDuke

14 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

The word progressive has evolved.....and now whenever I hear them use it in a political sense I always say "oh, you mean progress toward destroying America?" That's exactly what they want to do. One of their weapons is censorship, for example: taking the best show  to ever grace a TV screen off the air and censoring the most famous car to ever drive the face of the Earth. 

8 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

AMEN! Cousin!!