The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

Found out something new about the wife's car yesterday. Apparently there were two suspension options for it, softer suspension for more of a luxury ride and a sporty suspension. Hers has the luxury ride suspension. I took the car yesterday morning to get the rear springs replaced since the right rear one is broken but the auto parts store shipped the sporty springs to the mechanic. Hopefully they ship out the right springs this time, just sucks that we have to wait another week for them to get in.

Almost didn't make it there yesterday morning. Some crazy :censored: old man was doing 50mph in a 65mph zone on the interstate and decided he needed to get off at the next exit. It was bad enough that this was also where I475 & I75 merge together and he was already in the far left lane. I moved over when I got a break between traffic. He just, uncaring for the speed everyone else was doing, moved on over. The semi on the left of me had to slam on the brakes to avoid running into the back of him then the nut comes over in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes and prayed the semi truck driver behind me was paying attention, thank God he was. And this crazy old fart was driving a tin can death trap Chevy Aveo. In a car like that I wouldn't be taking chances with my life like that. I told my wife about it and she said that same nut almost caused a huge accident a few weeks ago on I475 riding in the fast lane at 50mph. 

Tuesday while heading home I seen a pile of free things set out after a weekend garage sale, scored a his and hers cross country ski's set, even included the ski carrier for the roof of a car. I usually don't stop at those piles as they're usually just junk but seen the ski's so I doubled back and I'm glad I did. Ski's just need some new boot holder things but other than that they're in great shape, no breaks or cracks.

3 hours ago, Spike said:

Almost didn't make it there yesterday morning...

I nearly witnessed a nasty head-on crash last week. We have a lot of tractors on the road at the moment with the inevitable queues behind them. As I was on my way home for lunch, I got stuck at the back of one of these queues. About six cars got past on a straight section of road and then next in line was a semi with a lime tanker. He decided he could pass on the next really short straight, but spotted a car coming the other way as he drew alongside the tractor. The truck must've cut back in with inches to spare to the tractor, and the car had to brake hard and pull into the verge to miss it. The really stupid thing is that the tractor pulled in about 100 yards later to let the traffic past. Knowing the road, I was expecting that, but I guess the truck driver didn't know!

Your two posts remind me of one of the reasons I hate to travel. The only bad traffic we went through was Buffalo. We took the scenic route home though. We stayed at a place called Belhurst Castlle....not a real castle by your standards Hoss but pretty cool by America's standards. We had a dinner cruise out of Watkins Glen, the NASCAR town. It was our silver anniversary. 

5 hours ago, HossC said:

:previous:

I went to another castle today. It was built between the 13th and 15th centuries, and still has a cannonball embedded in the wall from when it was attacked in 1599!

That's very cool! I'd like to visit some castles one day! Especially Dracula's castle. They  have one out  I  840 here in Tennessee. It reminds me of Dracula's castle but it has something to do with  The Renascence fair held there each year.  

11 hours ago, HossC said:

Roger, after visiting the castle yesterday I went to the coastal town of Dungarvan. As you enter the town there's a sign saying that it's twinned with Erie, Pennsylvania - isn't that somewhere near you?

BTW. Dungarvan also has a 12th century castle, but I didn't get to see it.

I never heard of that! ....and I watch the local news every day. Many years ago, Erie adopted Zibo China as it's sister city but this is news to me. Yes, I live in Erie County, 45 minutes from the city.  I'd like to know more about that.

29 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

I never heard of that! ....and I watch the local news every day. Many years ago, Erie adopted Zibo China as it's sister city but this is news to me. Yes, I live in Erie County, 45 minutes from the city.  I'd like to know more about that.

It looks like there's a tie-in with Mercyhurst University. There's an article in The Merciad.

13 hours ago, HossC said:

I have a couple of friends from Romania - I'll have to ask if they've ever visited Bran Castle, which is the castle usually associated with Dracula (despite there being no direct connection).

I think Vlad stayed there only a few months. It's my impression that his main habitation was close by though.

Edited by Hobie Hartkins

I scored a bit of gold at a garage sale over the weekend, a Nascar collectible car signed by the King, Richard Petty. It was in a box with other 1:18 and 1:24 scale muscle cars. It didn't have a price on it so I made an offer of $10 for that car and the lady said ok. When I got home I took the car out of the box and seen Petty's signature and my mouth fell on the floor. My wife did a Google search which brought up a current ebay listing for the same car but unsigned going for $140. 

On 8/2/2021 at 5:41 PM, HossC said:

It looks like there's a tie-in with Mercyhurst University. There's an article in The Merciad.

That is interesting Hoss. Erie County also has a university named Edinboro University and their team name is the Fighting Scots. They host a Scottish Festival there every year. Erie County also has a town named Albion. Isn't that what England used to be named?

15 hours ago, Spike said:

I scored a bit of gold at a garage sale over the weekend, a Nascar collectible car signed by the King, Richard Petty. It was in a box with other 1:18 and 1:24 scale muscle cars. It didn't have a price on it so I made an offer of $10 for that car and the lady said ok. When I got home I took the car out of the box and seen Petty's signature and my mouth fell on the floor. My wife did a Google search which brought up a current ebay listing for the same car but unsigned going for $140. 

That is fantastic! Congratulations. I'm real happy for you cousin!

It's been a long week and it's only Thursday. Last night I got a call from one of my mowing clients and was told she's got cancer. Hopefully her kids will step up and at least one of them come up here for a long visit to help her.

I don't know what's going on with my dad but it's driving me nuts. He refuses to drive his car and doesn't want to come out of the house. Me and my wife think he might have road raged the wrong person last week and they scared the :censored: out of him. Lately he picked up a bad habit of making his hand look like a gun and pointing it at driver's that piss him off. Last week he called me and was talking so fast I couldn't understand him. Then he texted he needed some groceries and made up a story about his car not running right. I and my uncle checked his car out and there's nothing wrong with it. Then he said his arm hurts so my uncle tried taking him to a nearby urgent care but my uncle could only get him to go to a pharmacy to do a blood pressure test. Then he needed some groceries yesterday and my uncle told him to just walk up to the Krogers at the corner but apparently now his leg hurts but yet he wants to got for a walk in the park today in my car of course, not his. 

On 7/29/2021 at 11:04 PM, HossC said:

I guess 1880s is historic where you live, Roger. The castle where I live is only about 700 years older than that!

We went to the ruins of an 18th century house today. The interior was destroyed by a fire nearly 90 years ago, but most of the exterior is still standing, and the walled garden is still maintained.

On the way home, we stopped by a dolmen - a megalithic portal tomb dating to between 4000 and 3000 BC. The capstone is thought to weigh about 150 metric tons.

3 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Nice and hot here today and in the forecast. This is the worst year I have seen for mosquitos in a long time.....maybe ever. I guess I shouldn't complain about the heat. It's not California. 

or Tennessee, where it's not just hot, it's damp and thick. I live right beside a huge river so don't get me started on mosquitos!

20 hours ago, HossC said:

We went to the ruins of an 18th century house today. The interior was destroyed by a fire nearly 90 years ago, but most of the exterior is still standing, and the walled garden is still maintained.

On the way home, we stopped by a dolmen - a megalithic portal tomb dating to between 4000 and 3000 BC. The capstone is thought to weigh about 150 metric tons.

I've taken up learning about swords lately. For some reason my interest in old history in increasing.....maybe because I'm getting old. 

3 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I've taken up learning about swords lately. For some reason my interest in old history in increasing.....maybe because I'm getting old. 

There's a sword connection with the castle we visited last week (the one with the cannonball in the wall). It was one of the filming locations for the 1981 movie 'Excalibur'. Despite the story taking place in ancient England, all the filming appears to have taken place in Ireland. In the park next door there's a sword embedded in a stone for visitors to try and remove!