The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

11 hours ago, Spike said:

Offendaphobic :lol: that's a good one. I nominate that for a new word in the Webster's Dictionary.

CNN used to be a great news network way back in the day now it's become way too biased like Fox News. 

Hey, you know, I think you're on to something there.  Offendaphobic- someone who is offeneded at people being offended or someone who is scared of being offended at people being offended! :) 

Finally got some sleep last night, only a few fireworks were shot off nearby. At least it was nothing like this... 

this happened on the other side of town. And people wonder why I say don't move to Toledo. To top it off Ohio legislators just legalized fireworks though the governor has yet to sign the bill.

Had a busy weekend myself. Was planning on relaxing and watching all the races on NBC but ended up only watching the last half of the Cup race Sunday afternoon. Laid a second coat of paint on a lady's patio Saturday after the local home depot worker snookered her and said she needed a 2nd coat even though on the can it says one coat paint. She really only needed a small can of touch up paint to touch up a few little spots where the wind blew a few leaves on after I laid down the first coat a few weeks ago.

Sunday I "helped" (did all the work) my dad with patching the concrete wall by the steps leading to the basement outside door. Not sure which Home store he went to but a goofball worker strikes again, sold him a 50lbs bag of fence post concrete. I didn't feel like going back to the store and getting the correct stuff so I made do, if it holds up good if not I don't care. I only ended up using a few inches of the bag to patch all the areas so a 10lbs or smaller bag would have worked. Wife was real happy about that because I ruined her Sunday plans to hang out with some of her family. I'm getting real sick of every time my uncle mentions this or that needs to be taken care of at my dad's house then my dad whining/harassing me till I do it instead of him doing it himself which he is entirely capable of doing. 

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

Hmm, I haven't been able to log in for 2 days. I thought the problem was with HN but apparently it was with my tablet since everything is fine now and I see that others have been logging in. It just said "This website is not available"

My chrome browser said that too till I cleared the history and cache, I assume it had something to do with the cookies.

I get along great with my mechanic and also consider him to be a friend. We talk about politics a lot and have the exact same views on just about everything so I always like to turn the conversation in that direction if he has time. He's like a lot of older redneck mechanics....he is a bit limited when it comes to some of the higher high tech computers  but besides that, can fix just about anything. 

On 7/8/2021 at 6:37 PM, Hobie Hartkins said:

my mechanic started copping an attitude and overcharging me to get me to leave obviously....don't know what his problem is but I've got another mechanic and he's history! If he ever needs business, he doesn't need to look to me!

Yeah frankly I'm tired of walking on eggshells when dealing with him. My wife called him to ask if she can drop her car off so he can look at it when he got a chance but she didn't even get one word out before he hung up on her after yelling he "doesn't have time to deal with the car." He used to be a nicer guy but lately 9x out 10 you call him you get Grumpy. 

10 hours ago, Spike said:

Yeah frankly I'm tired of walking on eggshells when dealing with him. My wife called him to ask if she can drop her car off so he can look at it when he got a chance but she didn't even get one word out before he hung up on her after yelling he "doesn't have time to deal with the car." He used to be a nicer guy but lately 9x out 10 you call him you get Grumpy. 

In a business like that....that will come back to haunt him one day....just like it will the guy I'm talking about! ( In my head comes an old country song...." Don't come cryin' to me when it's over...."" )

Well, as y'all may have seen, England were in the final of the Euros football (soccer) tournament last night, and lost to Italy when the match ended in a 1-1 draw and went to penalties. For various reasons, the England football team doesn't get a lot of support from outside England, even from the other home nations. Couple this with a feeling that this was their year (it's their first major final since they won the '66 World Cup and the final was in London again), and you didn't have to look far today to find people who were happy with the outcome. Suffice to say, being an Englishman abroad, I've had a day of 'witty' comments and light-hearted digs. Still, it's a young team and there's a World Cup next year...

Sorry to hear that Hoss. England got the first goal so I bet you had your hopes up for awhile there. Were you much of a football player in your younger years? 

I bet I put a smile on your face by not saying soccer. 

I'm watching the home run derby right now. 

Our daughter and her family went home to Virginia today. 

Edited by RogerDuke

Apparently Gypsy is another word on the banned words list, I read a news story yesterday about the Gypsy moth is going to be renamed because the name is now considered super-offensive :rofl:. I think there are better things to worry about at the moment than the renaming of a moth.

My Fitbit said I walked over 15miles while mowing Friday and Saturday. That's about the distance of a walking/hiking/biking trail that connects two nearby parks. That's kind of neat to know in case I ever want to walk that trail.

12 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Were you much of a football player in your younger years?

I played a little at school when I was around 10 or 11, but then did athletics in my early-mid teens. I can't even claim to be a football fan - I watch a few matches during the Euros and World Cups, but otherwise I just keep an eye on the scores so that I can join in conversations!

I took my grandson to a medieval festival today. We go every year but it was canceled last year because of covid. Speaking of which, today is the one year anniversary of my first covid symptom, leading to 2 weeks of sickness. Hey Hoss, you folks dealing with the Delta variant? 

Edited by RogerDuke

Friday we dropped the wife's car off to the new mechanic's. Turns out the RR spring is broke at the bottom perch or whatever you call it. Due to the part shortage we have to wait a week or so for a new set of springs. They were nice guys. We found out the tire place the tires were purchased from never sealed the RR tire either like they said they did. They took the tire off the rim, sanded the bead on the rim and added sealant to the tire. Wife got new front brakes and rotors put on there too. We went shopping while they finished doing the brakes, I got a new phone, looking forward to trying it out when I get all the stuff on this one backed up today. This one just has a quad core processor, new one has an octa core processor. Also my luck with finding clearance deals was still going strong, got a new Levi Sherpa lined jean jacket 60% off and a neat Star Wars shirt 75% off. Wife said she's dragging me shopping with her so my good deal luck nets her some good deals :lol:.

Saturday while mowing I witnessed an accident right in front of the house I was mowing. Teenager was on his phone instead of paying attention to driving, ran into the back of a car that was slowing down in front of him. I called 911 and reported it then went back to mowing. After I got done I waited half an hour but the police didn't show up yet so I went home. I called the lady I mowed for after I ate dinner and she said the cops still haven't shown up. They must have not needed my statement for the accident as they never called me. That pretty much sums up my weekend, yesterday we relaxed after our morning cleaning gig and took a nap.

Roger what was the medieval festival like? I never went to the one across the border in Michigan before but I've been thinking about checking it out this year.

Edited by Spike

15 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Hey Hoss, you folks dealing with the Delta variant? 

We've had over 1,000 new cases a day over the last three days, and about 70% are meant to be the Delta variant. Luckily, there seem to be less deaths and hospital admissions than last year. Indoor dining was supposed to reopen later this month, but that may now be delayed. They seem to think that a lot of the Delta cases are coming from the UK, and the UK is ending nearly all of its restrictions today, against international advice!

I had my second vaccination about a month ago, so hopefully I'm as protected as I can be. Also, where I live is regularly among the counties with the lowest incidence rates.

14 hours ago, Spike said:

Roger what was the medieval festival like? I never went to the one across the border in Michigan before but I've been thinking about checking it out this year.

We had fun. My grandson is 20 and hanging out with him was pretty cool. I used to have him every weekend but we've drifted apart a bit so it was especially nice. We went to one south of Geneva Ohio called The Great Lakes Medieval Faire. It's really awesome but is the only one I've ever been to so I don't know how it would stack up against others. I'm sure some are better and some worse. They didn't do the jousting on horses because they were at a different place thus weekend. 

Ring notification woke us up last night, apparently police were looking for someone last night and they set off our Ring doorbell camera when they were checking around our building. Took me and the wife about an hour or so to get back to sleep. I usually turn the ringer off when we go to bed but forgot to last night.

I watched this episode of The Orville the other day called Majority Rule that mirrored our current Social Media problem even though it was made in 2017. Even though the show is basically a Star Trek The Next Generation spoof that episode was very interesting to watch considering everything that happened in 2020.

New phone is definitely an upgrade from my old one. This one is so much faster, hd videos don't stutter and load at the snap of a finger. Battery lasts a lot longer too, my old one I had to charge every other day, this one just once since Thursday. The new OS is going to take some getting used to though.

We're having one of the wettest July's on record, already double our usual rainfall. I'm not complaining though except when it comes to mosquitos.