The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

Man, sorry to hear that Spike....it's a dang shame when honest folks don't even know whether to help or not anymore.

A year and a half ago I witnessed a breakin in progress in the wee hours; I called it in, but the Tucson Police have been so underfunded for decades (dare I say "de-funded) that they didn't have an available unit until 4 hours later.  

Apparently the Neighbors section of the Ring app is useless now. I posted about what I seen last night to alert nearby neighbors and it got removed. Reason given to me was "We are changing what content is allowed in this section due to feedback from users. Previously this content was allowed but it is not now." I wondered why nearby neighbor notifications about anything besides "fireworks noise being mistaken for gunshots" dropped off a cliff the past few weeks. Used to get at least one 'suspicious activity' notification a day from nearby neighbors, now barely see one in a week or two.

8 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I feel bad for cops. The mainstream media treats them like they are the criminals and treats the criminals like they are simply poor misunderstood people who  cops shouldn't be allowed to arrest because they already have a tough enough life. 

I feel for them too. Just because of a few bad apples that shouldn't have been cops to begin with, all of them get villified.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good birthday yesterday. Went to a park to watch the sunrise and see what creatures were out early, mostly red winged blackbirds but the surprise was fish swimming in the ditch that goes through the park. Never seen fish in there before. Then went mini golfing, flipped the rules to most strokes wins :lol: my putting was way off lol. Only complaint is I took advantage of Amazon Prime day and had a local Best buy match the price on a pair of Fitbits but apparently Fitbit is having a software issue at the moment so they're basically $60 paperweights at the moment. If they don't get the issue resolved in a week I'm returning them.

On the weather front we were in a drought locally but the almost 3 inches of rain we got Sunday night-Monday morning really soaked the ground. Our tomato's shot up a few inches taller already. 

Belated happy birthday Spike! It's good to hear you had a good one.

I've been doing a lot of kayaking lately. 

On the sad side, I just heard that a 20 year old from Ohio was killed instantly when his neck was broke in a local Pennsylvania dirt bike race on Saturday. I go to that race track often but wasn't there Saturday. I'm glad I didn't see it. If I would have that would be something that would be tough to get out of my head. I've never witnessed anyone die in an accident. 

On 6/24/2021 at 1:09 AM, Hobie Hartkins said:

I've seen people die....you always remember it.....

I did see a kid just seconds before he was killed. I was in my car turning off the main road onto my road and he was on his motorcycle. We waved to each other. I found out later  that a lady didn't even see him and backed out in front of him just 300 foot away from that intersection. Since she never saw him I was probably the last person to see him alive. 

5 hours ago, Andrew D Charger Chaser said:

Jeez Roger, I would think that would haunt me for the rest of my days....

On the other hand, his last moments were engaged in a friendly exchange, there is that as well.

I've bumped into his family members from time to time but I've never told them that I saw him just seconds before the tragedy. I'm acquaintances with them but not really friends so it just doesn't seem appropriate. I did find out later that the lady who backed into him was from out of town and was just using the driveway to turn around because she was lost.

Fitbits work great now that they put out a software update. Mine said I did 20,000 steps today while mowing, though that might be a bit off as no electronic pedometer will be 100% spot on.

On the way home this afternoon I took a shortcut through a nearby neighborhood thinking it would be safer than the main road after an incident I had yesterday with a jerk in a work van. It was until I came across a few hooligans recklessly riding ATV's doing donuts in the street. The one took off down a side street and the other two about ran into the side of my car as I drove past. Hooligans like this have become a problem in the inner city lately, even blocking traffic for their stupid stunts, and now it looks like they've spread out to the suburbs. 

I'll never forget the motorcyclist I seen on the road with his head split open. My grandma chewed my grandpa out for taking me over to the accident scene. The cop took me over to the body and said "that's why you should wear a helmet when you ride you're bicycle." I don't remember how young I was at the time though, 6 or 7 I think.

We just got back from our daughter's in Virginia. On the Pennsylvania Turnpike on the way home I was being passed by an orange car and looked over and saw a big 01 on the door. And then I noticed it was a newer Charger with a Confederate flag on the top. You guess it. I decided to go after it.....keeping under the speed limit of course......I lost.....but still, not everybody can say they raced a General Lee. It turned on Interstate 99 and headed north toward  Penn State. I think it had New York plates. I wonder if it was heading home after going to Cooter's. 

2 minutes ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

Did it have a Dixie Horn?

You should've  motioned for him to blow his horn! 

I didn't blow my horn because I didn't want him to think I was doing it in protest. I wanted to catch him and give him a thumbs up but i spent all of the race in his dust.....did I mention we stayed below the speed limit? LOL

15 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I didn't blow my horn because I didn't want him to think I was doing it in protest. I wanted to catch him and give him a thumbs up but i spent all of the race in his dust.....did I mention we stayed below the speed limit? LOL

Man, wish I could've seen all that.... 8-)

Edited by Andrew D Charger Chaser

1 hour ago, Andrew D Charger Chaser said:

Personally speaking, I'm offended that people are offended B)

Oh no, it sounds like you are an offendaphobic. Years of therapy and medication can fix that. The first thing you need to do is stop watching Dukes of Hazzard. According to liberals, it is the cause of all the world's problems. I saw it on CNN and they wouldn't lie. 

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

Oh no, it sounds like you are an offendaphobic. Years of therapy and medication can fix that. The first thing you need to do is stop watching Dukes of Hazzard. According to liberals, it is the cause of all the world's problems. I saw it on CNN and they wouldn't lie. 

says Roger.....trying to disguise himself as a leftist liberal!!   :)