The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

It reminds me of what I tell people. I'm lucky I haven't been picked up by the police......for Public Poverty....violating people's eyes and giving small children emotional complexes! I'm so poor they've got a picture of me  on the dart board at the Church Mouse bar, across town!  I'm being held in contempt ....!! By Church Mice!!

It's pretty hot up here in Pennsylvania. I'm heading to the dirt track tonight for the first time this season. I suppose it's time to check out the schedule at the local dirt bike track too. I've only had my dirt bike out once all year. It is definitely overdo for an oil change. Any weekend plans for you folks? 

I got the weekend off from mowing since we haven't had rain in over a week here so I'm looking forward to just relaxing and watching the COTA Nascar races. Also nurturing a plant back to life that I bought on clearance from a store today, I already soaked it in rain water which perked it up a bit. 

Y'all have a good weekend.

Lately I've been bingeing videos on the Project Farm channel on YouTube. It's nice to see some honest comparison tests on various products from a good old country boy. 

Did some zen gardening yesterday morning, that helped drop my stress level. 

Weather wise we might set two records this week. Forecasters are saying we might set a new high temp tomorrow and a new low temp Friday morning. 

• 2 weeks later...

Checked out a new park over the weekend. It was nice besides the noise, It was next to the airport and turnpike. The 180th was out doing maneuvers, those F16's are really loud. Did see a turkey, oriole, rare Karner Blue butterfly and some neat wildflowers. Those rare minutes of absolute quiet besides the birds made it feel like we were way out in the boony's especially considering the parking lot only had two spaces so it must be a rarely visited park.

We also went to the farmers market downtown. First time we've been there since our grandparents took us as kids. Omg was it packed, I'm assuming it was because everyone wants to get out of the house and do anything after last year. On the way home we drove by the zoo and the traffic was a nightmare. Even though the zoo's sign said the parking lot was full people were still lined up about a mile in both directions trying to get in. I can imagine the staff there had a long day Sunday.

Anybody else do anything interesting this past weekend?

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Anybody else do anything interesting this past weekend?

I can believe the queues. A friend and I went to the local boot sale on Sunday (the definition of boot sale varies, but this one has indoor and outdoor stalls mainly filled with traders, but there are also a few families selling off their old stuff). It was a hot day, so I guess a lot of people had the same idea. We had a small queue to get in, but nothing prepared us for the 50 minutes it took to get out of the car park. We didn't even move for 30 minutes.

I spent the afternoon back in town chatting to friends over coffee and ice cream and enjoying the sun.

22 hours ago, HossC said:

I can believe the queues. A friend and I went to the local boot sale on Sunday (the definition of boot sale varies, but this one has indoor and outdoor stalls mainly filled with traders, but there are also a few families selling off their old stuff). It was a hot day, so I guess a lot of people had the same idea. We had a small queue to get in, but nothing prepared us for the 50 minutes it took to get out of the car park. We didn't even move for 30 minutes.

I spent the afternoon back in town chatting to friends over coffee and ice cream and enjoying the sun.

Boot sale? Almost sounds like what we call here in the states a flea market or swap meet. 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Boot sale? Almost sounds like what we call here in the states a flea market or swap meet. 

When I first encountered boot sales it was in the UK. Maybe once a month in the summer, ordinary people would drive to a field and sell their old stuff out of the boot (trunk) of their car, normally with a folding picnic or wallpaper table to display their goods. You never knew what you'd find as the people changed each time. The one I went to on Sunday is probably about 90% traders in vans, so there's not much variety week to week. I sometimes buy bits and pieces, and it's a good place to get a huge range cheap low-end tools.

I think you're right that flea market or swap meet would be your equivalent, although aren't swap meets usually more specialized?

On 5/23/2021 at 9:15 PM, RogerDuke said:

We had the grandkids so it was another busy and fun weekend. They wear us out but they are always fun. This new puppy is wearing us out too. She finally has gotten to a point where she'll sleep through the night. 

Reminds you of the kids way back when I'll bet! :)  

4 hours ago, HossC said:

When I first encountered boot sales it was in the UK. Maybe once a month in the summer, ordinary people would drive to a field and sell their old stuff out of the boot (trunk) of their car, normally with a folding picnic or wallpaper table to display their goods. You never knew what you'd find as the people changed each time. The one I went to on Sunday is probably about 90% traders in vans, so there's not much variety week to week. I sometimes buy bits and pieces, and it's a good place to get a huge range cheap low-end tools.

I think you're right that flea market or swap meet would be your equivalent, although aren't swap meets usually more specialized?

Boot Sales.....remnds me of when I go to Walmart to buy my Brahma workboots!

14 hours ago, HossC said:

I do think you are right about swap meets being specialized. I know at astronomy events that is what they are called.

We'll Cancel Culture struck one of the other suburbs. They used to have a day that celebrated former president William Henry Harrison who was also a local 1812 war hero. The chamber of commerce got "woke" this year and changed the rally day name to the hopefully non offensive word "Positive" :rofl:because Harrison either owned slaves or supported it or something, I didn't catch the whole news story on the evening news. Apparently it wasn't as inoffensive as they thought as there is a bunch of pissed off people that are not happy about the name change and have been voicing their opinions on social media and the local news outlets.

There is a classic book called Animal Farm where the farmers oppressed the animals so the animals overtook them. Then the animals had to form a government and the pigs took over and the pigs became just as bad as the humans toward the other animals. It seems like that's where we are heading. Of course the oppression won't be as bad as what white men did but it will still be oppression, nonetheless. The mainstream media, Hollywood, Cancel Culture, wokeness and political correctness all have hatred in their hearts and if you are a white, straight, Christian male, they will stop at nothing to ruin your life. 

After a year hiatus due to covid 19 the British invasion car show was back this year on Sunday. A couple of regulars didn't show up but some new cars did. For the first time in my life I seen a Jensen Interceptor mk III and I got to sit in it :awesome:. The guy bought it at one of them dealership auctions before the pandemic struck. Said it was stored for the past 20+ years. Besides changing all the fluids, a tune up and new brakes the only thing he's modified is a new overdrive transmission to make it a better cruiser. There were a few SCCA race cars and a rare one of 600+/- marque, name escapes me at the moment. Only 3 motorcycles showed up this year, no Morgan's or Aston Martin's though. One guy put a turbo Saab motor in a MGB, another shoehorned a 350 Chevy V8 in one and added Corvette suspension. 

55 minutes ago, Spike said:

For the first time in my life I seen a Jensen Interceptor mk III and I got to sit in it :awesome:.

They're a rare sight nowadays, but I have seen a few over the years, although I've never sat in one. I seem to remember that they came with a 6.3l Chrysler V8, so they're not 100% British ;).

They're a rare sight nowadays, but I have seen a few over the years, although I've never sat in one. I seem to remember that they came with a 6.3l Chrysler V8, so they're not 100% British ;).

This one had the 440ci V8. Even though it's considered a 2+2 there was barely any legroom for rear seat passengers. 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

This one had the 440ci V8. Even though it's considered a 2+2 there was barely any legroom for rear seat passengers. 

For anyone not familiar with the Jensen Interceptor, Top Gear made a spoof '70s show called 'The Interceptors' a few years ago, and each of them drove an Interceptor. The title sequence is below. I notice that the bikini model at 0:19 has to put her legs between the front seats, so it looks like you're right about the rear legroom :).

(For some reason the still image makes it look like the video has been deleted, but the play button works)

For anyone not familiar with the Jensen Interceptor, Top Gear made a spoof '70s show called 'The Interceptors' a few years ago, and each of them drove an Interceptor. The title sequence is below. I notice that the bikini model at 0:19 has to put her legs between the front seats, so it looks like you're right about the rear legroom :).

(For some reason the still image makes it look like the video has been deleted, but the play button works)

At 53 seconds the one model looks like she has her legs to the side of the front seat back. That's a funny video.

I got together with some of my astronomer friends this morning to view the partial solar eclipse. (In parts of Canada it was an annular eclipse. The Moon was too far away from Earth to be big enough to cover the Sun). It was pretty cool. We missed the first 20 minutes of it because of clouds but we were just happy to see it at all. We tried to observe stars the night before but that was cloudy. 

Might have witnessed a burglary tonight. Was chatting with a neighbor and noticed this guy park his old S10 and walk around the parking lot then leave. 5 minutes later he comes back parks next to my car walks to an apartment building clear across the parking lot. Then we hear dogs barking and see him running with a full garbage bag jump in his truck and take off. I called the police but the operator almost made it sound like I was calling on an innocent person. "What makes you think he's doing something?" "What's wrong with parking there and going to another building?" Think next time I'll just see no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil unless it happens to a neighbor I know.