The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

How can it be possible to vote straight Republican if the person is gay? Seriously though, There are a lot of people who vote for someone just because the candidate is black, female or gay. Those are the people who always complain that discrimination is wrong yet have no idea that they are guilty of it themselves. 

3 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

How can it be possible to vote straight Republican if the person is gay? Seriously though, There are a lot of people who vote for someone just because the candidate is black, female or gay. Those are the people who always complain that discrimination is wrong yet have no idea that they are guilty of it themselves. 

I didn't mean straight as in a person's sexual orientation, I meant straight Republican ticket as in they only vote Republican. Maybe it's only an Ohio saying lol.

On 4/25/2021 at 8:20 PM, Spike said:

I didn't mean straight as in a person's sexual orientation, I meant straight Republican ticket as in they only vote Republican. Maybe it's only an Ohio saying lol.

I  knew what you meant. I was just being goofy.

I was on the way to a high school baseball game this afternoon, listening to the classic country radio station and they played the Dukes theme song. I smiled at every note. And after it was over I turned the radio off to keep the song in my head. Every once in awhile you have a moment where the Dukes of Hazzard feels brand new again. I love those moments.

Edited by RogerDuke

Tuesday I transformed a bare concrete front porch/patio with four planters. In two large round pots at the east and west corners I planted large Elephant Ear bulbs which should get about 5-6 feet tall for a bit of privacy with a surround of Petunias which will hopefully drape over the side. In between those large pots I placed two rectangular raised garden bed planters with various flowers. Then I surrounded the area with a small plastic picket fence, it's not the size I would have chose but it's what the homeowner wanted. I'm looking forward to seeing it in a month or so when the plants have filled in. 

Was our 17th anniversary yesterday. Since we're vaccinated we went to the movie theater for the first time since 2019. Seen Godzilla vs Kong, good action packed movie though some of it was predictable. Only four other people showed up, of course they picked the same row to sit that we did lol but they were quiet. Theater's got to be losing money airing a movie for just 6 people though. Wouldn't surprise me that at least one of the 3 local multi-plex theater's will be closed permanently within the year.

Have a good weekend.

7 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

We watched the movie Iron Lady today. Wow! Like her or not Margaret Thatcher was one tough cookie. I was surprised that there wasn't one mention of any member of the royal family. I get that they are two totally different things but it still surprised me.  

A while back I seen a documentary on her on the local PBS station. She didn't take crap from nobody. It was said that her and the Queen had a contentious but mutually respected relationship.

:previous:

I have a vague memory that Margaret Thatcher opened my junior school while she was Education Secretary (it was a few years before I went there, but there was a picture on the wall). It was soon after this that she acquired the nickname "Margaret Thatcher, Milk Snatcher" because she abolished the free milk which schoolchildren used to receive in the '70s.

The satirical puppet show 'Spitting Image' overlapped the latter half of her time as Prime Minister, and showed how they thought she viewed her cabinet with this famous sketch:

5 hours ago, HossC said:

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Roger, and especially considering the day. Mother's Day was in mid-March over here, so I didn't know that yours was today.

By strange coincidence, she went into the nursing home on this day too (May 9 2018). It wasn't Mother's Day that year but close to it. When they told us a few days ago that she was near death, my wife somehow knew she would die on Mother's Day. 

These cyberattacks are getting pretty serious. The gas stations here are pretty low. I bet they'll be out tomorrow. They are telling people that is wrong to "panic buy" and fill your tank up. That makes sense and sounds socially responsible but the alternative is to run out of gas. I hope my daughter can get home from Virginia for the funeral. I got the yard mowed today. 

8 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

These cyberattacks are getting pretty serious. The gas stations here are pretty low. I bet they'll be out tomorrow. They are telling people that is wrong to "panic buy" and fill your tank up. That makes sense and sounds socially responsible but the alternative is to run out of gas. I hope my daughter can get home from Virginia for the funeral. I got the yard mowed today. 

It's the new way to wage war. They hit hospitals, one towns water cleaning system etc... I recommend watching Live Free or Die Hard. It may be a movie but some of it is for real happening right now. Company's need to take responsibility and keep their computer systems, firewall and anti virus up to date and teach their employees not to click on non-work emails or links.

I'm not surprised about the panic buying of gas, look what happened to toilet paper last year. I don't think you have anything to worry about Roger, you being in western Pennsylvania probably get gas and petroleum from Ohio.

5 hours ago, Spike said:

I'm not surprised about the panic buying of gas, look what happened to toilet paper last year. I don't think you have anything to worry about Roger, you being in western Pennsylvania probably get gas and petroleum from Ohio.

I see that Tuesday's average gas price was $2.98/gallon. If it keeps going up, it won't be long before you're paying half as much as we do (current price approx $6.70/gallon)!

Yesterday was fun... Trailing arm snapped while the wife was out running errands leaving her stranded. She called a friend who has AAA so it could at least get towed back home. Dispatcher goofed up the address and sent the driver to the wrong place. After 90 minutes my wife called AAA again asking where the tow truck was and was told "nobody was there" to which my wife replied I've been stranded here for the past 2 hours I haven't gone anywhere and was told it would be about 6:30 till another truck could be dispatched to her. She found a number to the tow company our mechanic gave us and called that and he was there within half an hour and towed it to the mechanics. I don't know if AAA is short handed or what but with service like that I'm glad I didn't waste money on a membership this year. 

Not too get to political but an interesting thing happened in Connecticut last week... A high school student got arrested for a social media post about a classmate. The charge was ridicule on account of creed, religion, color, denomination, nationality, race and 2nd degree breach of peace. According to the article there were no threats made in the social media post, just disparaging racist remarks. Will be interesting to see if they can actually get a guilty verdict out of this considering the 1st amendment aka Freedom of Speech. If they do get a guilty verdict I'm sure this will be taken to the supreme court eventually.