The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

So I was flipping through the streaming channels this morning and came across a show called zombie house or zombie flippers or something. I ended up watching almost the whole episode and I don't know if their other episodes show them in a better light but this one showed what not to do when 'flipping' a house. They bought a house that needed substantial renovating because they had a buyer already lined up to buy it when it was done. One thing they should have gotten done first was the last thing they repaired which was the leaking roof. First thing they did after demo was plumbing then drywall. One of the flippers turned the water main back in without realizing the plumbing wasn't finished in one of the bathrooms so the bathroom got flooded :lol:. Since the roof wasn't fixed it leaked inside when it rained so they just painted over the water stains on the new drywall. They had a big oak tree cut down but the company left a couple of logs behind for a 2nd load pickup but the one flipper flipped out because he scheduled sod for that day. So two of the flippers ask one of the subs if they can load the logs on his Blazer, guy says yeah, big mistake. The flippers ended up totalling the Blazer trying to load one of the logs with the log mover. 3rd week into the quick flip they find out the buyer has some past financial issues and backed out, you'd think they would have had the buyer show them a pre-approval letter or something from the lender. Now that they're selling it themselves they store a bunch of staging furniture in the garage and since the roof wasn't fixed yet an overnight rain shower leaked into the garage ruining all the staging furniture as well as drywall in the garage which they had no choice but to replace this time. When they finally get the roof replaced they went with the cheapest bid and you could definitely see that in the sped up video when the roof guys left 1/2 inch+ gaps between some of the 4x8 osb sheets. I feel sorry for whoever bought that house.

16 hours ago, Spike said:

So I was flipping through the streaming channels this morning and came across a show called zombie house or zombie flippers or something. I ended up watching almost the whole episode and I don't know if their other episodes show them in a better light but this one showed what not to do when 'flipping' a house. They bought a house that needed substantial renovating because they had a buyer already lined up to buy it when it was done. One thing they should have gotten done first was the last thing they repaired which was the leaking roof. First thing they did after demo was plumbing then drywall. One of the flippers turned the water main back in without realizing the plumbing wasn't finished in one of the bathrooms so the bathroom got flooded :lol:. Since the roof wasn't fixed it leaked inside when it rained so they just painted over the water stains on the new drywall. They had a big oak tree cut down but the company left a couple of logs behind for a 2nd load pickup but the one flipper flipped out because he scheduled sod for that day. So two of the flippers ask one of the subs if they can load the logs on his Blazer, guy says yeah, big mistake. The flippers ended up totalling the Blazer trying to load one of the logs with the log mover. 3rd week into the quick flip they find out the buyer has some past financial issues and backed out, you'd think they would have had the buyer show them a pre-approval letter or something from the lender. Now that they're selling it themselves they store a bunch of staging furniture in the garage and since the roof wasn't fixed yet an overnight rain shower leaked into the garage ruining all the staging furniture as well as drywall in the garage which they had no choice but to replace this time. When they finally get the roof replaced they went with the cheapest bid and you could definitely see that in the sped up video when the roof guys left 1/2 inch+ gaps between some of the 4x8 osb sheets. I feel sorry for whoever bought that house.

Murphy's Law.....lol.....this Murphy guy was he a race car driver?

(Hmm, that was from One Armed Bandits, wasn't it?) 

5 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Murphy's Law.....lol.....this Murphy guy was he a race car driver?

(Hmm, that was from One Armed Bandits, wasn't it?) 

According to wikipedia the "law" itself goes back to writings of Augustus De Morgan in the 1860's though others have also 'coined' the term or a similar one throughout history. Murphy gets attached to it in the late 1940's early 1950's during high speed g force testing at the Edwards air force base when Edward Murphy developed sensors read zero after a test. Whether Murphy said it or one of the other scientists is still up for debate.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

According to wikipedia the "law" itself goes back to writings of Augustus De Morgan in the 1860's though others have also 'coined' the term or a similar one throughout history. Murphy gets attached to it in the late 1940's early 1950's during high speed g force testing at the Edwards air force base when Edward Murphy developed sensors read zero after a test. Whether Murphy said it or one of the other scientists is still up for debate.

I'm not sure how much those zombie flippers were suffering from Murphy's Law and how much was just poor decision making. It sounds like it was a little of both. 

This has been one of the worst weeks of my life physically. I got zero sleep last night. My back hurts no matter what position I put it in. I don't think I'm going to go back to the chiropractor. I'm going to try to get to my family doctor to get x-rays because I know I have a defect in my lower back because of a physical I had in 1979 when I was trying to get a job on the railroad. Whatever the defect was it kept me from getting the job and I haven't had an x-ray on it since then. I'm just not comfortable with getting my back twisted by a chiropractor with that defect in it. I'm so exhausted from a week of lack of sleep. I can't see the doctor today because our furnace is broke down and the repairman is coming but I don't know what time....I guess I'm not going to make it to the Boar's Nest for Daisy's birthday party. 

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

This has been one of the worst weeks of my life physically. I got zero sleep last night. My back hurts no matter what position I put it in. I don't think I'm going to go back to the chiropractor. I'm going to try to get to my family doctor to get x-rays because I know I have a defect in my lower back because of a physical I had in 1979 when I was trying to get a job on the railroad. Whatever the defect was it kept me from getting the job and I haven't had an x-ray on it since then. I'm just not comfortable with getting my back twisted by a chiropractor with that defect in it. I'm so exhausted from a week of lack of sleep. I can't see the doctor today because our furnace is broke down and the repairman is coming but I don't know what time....I guess I'm not going to make it to the Boar's Nest for Daisy's birthday party. 

Jeez Rog....I'll keep you in prayer that you'll come through this okay....

Sorry to hear Roger. Definitely sounds like you need to get an x-ray done.

My wife had a lousy weekend too. Friday she got a near migraine  headache, Saturday she woke up with a bit of a fever along with the headache still. Sunday she woke up with back pain but the headache and fever was gone. She took a couple of the muscle relaxers and had a heating pad on her back most of the day. Today she woke up feeling better though fingers crossed. She was really looking forward to going to the park and getting outside since it was really nice outside this weekend after the brutal cold and snow for most of February.

This talk of Murphy's law reminded me of my wife's ex stepfather. Everything this dude tried to repair blew up, I kid you not :lol: swear to God with my right hand on a bible. The story's my wife tells about him fixing things just makes your jaw drop. When I first got my driver's license the Monte Carlo that was given to me needed a tuneup so my dad always the one to pinch a penny had him come over change the spark plugs, wires and oil etc... Before her ex stepfather touched it the car ran great, afterwards it sounded like a car on its deathbed and could barely move under it's own power. It ended up having to be towed to the mechanics and the mechanic said whoever touched the car shouldn't be allowed near mechanical things lol. 4 out if the six wires were on the wrong sparkplugs is one of the things that stuck in my mind, I don't remember the rest that needed fixed offhand but it ended up costing over $600. That car never really ran the same after that, always had issues with it after that.

Hey guys check your tires this morning there's several recalls on several brands for blowouts. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tires-among-440-000-across-211013695.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/continental-general-barum-tires-recalled-220646338.html

If you happen to have a set on your vehicle inspect them before driving on them.

I just as heard the news about Dr. Seuss books being banned. This is not political correctness. This is literal insanity. Enjoy the HazzardNet while you can. It won't be long before anything related to The Dukes of Hazzard is banned and labeled as hate speech. Owning a DVD of the Dukes will be a crime, punishable by imprisonment. America, Europe and free speech have been given a death sentence by the politically correct forces who control this world. 

Yeah this whole thing is getting out of hand :fryingpan:. Hell I read an article last week that stated caucasians getting tanned is "offensive" and now has a name 'blackfishing' :roll:. So what are caucasians supposed to cover themselves head to toe while outside now so as to not offend anybody. Its funny extreme liberals used to make a stink about churches banning and burning books, now look who's doing it.

On a similar note a local christian school is making headlines for sticking to their dress code and not allowing students wear BLM shirts to school. On Friday's they have casual day but that doesn't mean wear whatever you want. The local news stations have made this the main story for a week now yet never states that the shirts are not allowed because of the dress code, and have nothing to do with racism. I guess some organization is going to show up and protest the school this week.

12 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I just as heard the news about Dr. Seuss books being banned.

The article I read just says that six titles will no longer be published. TBH. I've never heard of any of them. The article also says that some libraries in the UK have moved certain Tintin books to the adult section, so they're not banned or removed - just no longer available to children. Compared to some recent changes/bans, this doesn't seem too over the top to me.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

On a similar note a local christian school is making headlines for sticking to their dress code and not allowing students wear BLM shirts to school. On Friday's they have casual day but that doesn't mean wear whatever you want. The local news stations have made this the main story for a week now yet never states that the shirts are not allowed because of the dress code, and have nothing to do with racism. I guess some organization is going to show up and protest the school this week.

I wonder what the specific rule is. F1 stopped Lewis Hamilton wearing overtly political messages at races, but BLM T-shirts are fine.

We are certainly heading down a slippery slope and it is quite troubling. I can see a future where even if you try to look up Dukes of Hazzard it won't even come up on any search engines because the ban will be that thorough. It won't happen anytime soon but at the rate culture is being chipped away it will happen. I can't even watch TV anymore. I get it. There should be equal rights for everybody. I'm all for that. Anybody who is not for equal rights for everybody is an idiot. What I'm sick of is constantly being vilified for being a straight white man. I don't want to be treated better than anybody but I'm sick of being treated worse. 

7 hours ago, HossC said:

I wonder what the specific rule is. F1 stopped Lewis Hamilton wearing overtly political messages at races, but BLM T-shirts are fine.

The school has a strict dress code policy. Usually the students wear suit and ties Monday-Thursday. T shirts and hoodies I presume are not allowed on Fridays even though it's casual day. 

Had a long day...first the oil line going to the turbo on my dad's car sprung a leak. Got too listen to his "woe is me I don't know what to do" schpiel. Then tried to mediate deal with him and the neighbor but that is going swimmingly. This stems back from when my dad's tree fell in the neighbors yard and destroyed one if her arborvitae bushes. She wants it replaced but my cheapskate dad doesn't want to pay for it. Got a pounding headache from dealing with all that BS today.

3 hours ago, Spike said:

The school has a strict dress code policy. Usually the students wear suit and ties Monday-Thursday. T shirts and hoodies I presume are not allowed on Fridays even though it's casual day. 

Had a long day...first the oil line going to the turbo on my dad's car sprung a leak. Got too listen to his "woe is me I don't know what to do" schpiel. Then tried to mediate deal with him and the neighbor but that is going swimmingly. This stems back from when my dad's tree fell in the neighbors yard and destroyed one if her arborvitae bushes. She wants it replaced but my cheapskate dad doesn't want to pay for it. Got a pounding headache from dealing with all that BS today.

Do what I do and what they used to do at the NASCAR races......take a couple BC....they'll fix you right up fast! Unfortunately they've been my best friend lately!!

Have you guys heard about how back in the '70's in the south,  BC powders had a cult like following in and around NASCAR. I wonder how that happened and also, if that played a part in Petty's BC sponsorship? Or if Petty's BC car played a part in the popularity of the powder?

Edited by Hobie Hartkins

11 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

Do what I do and what they used to do at the NASCAR races......take a couple BC....they'll fix you right up fast! Unfortunately they've been my best friend lately!!

Have you guys heard about how back in the '70's in the south,  BC powders had a cult like following in and around NASCAR. I wonder how that happened and also, if that played a part in Petty's BC sponsorship? Or if Petty's BC car played a part in the popularity of the powder?

BC? Some of us yankees don't get all the Southern fix ya up potions in store's up here. I took an Aleve with my dinner and thankfully the headache went away before bedtime.

14 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

can a car still run if the turbo isn't working? It seems to me that I was told once that it could. Maybe it depends on the kind of car it is. It certainly couldn't go as fast if it wasn't getting as much air

Yeah a car can run without a turbo at least the older cars could I don't know about newer ones with all the software controlling everything. Found out yesterday the oil line leak is another common issue with Chevy Cruze's :roll: with the 1.4l engine. Maybe he should have gotten a n.a. motored car. 

4 hours ago, Spike said:

BC? Some of us yankees don't get all the Southern fix ya up potions in store's up here. I took an Aleve with my dinner and thankfully the headache went away before bedtime.

Yeah a car can run without a turbo at least the older cars could I don't know about newer ones with all the software controlling everything. Found out yesterday the oil line leak is another common issue with Chevy Cruze's :roll: with the 1.4l engine. Maybe he should have gotten a n.a. motored car. 

I thought so. Years ago I bought an old Volvo wagon that the previous owner had replaced the supercharger on. He said it would have run without it though. It cost him $1500 for the new turbo and a year later I only paid $2000 for the car. It ran great for years....eventually the body rusted out.