The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

On 1/23/2021 at 6:51 PM, RogerDuke said:

I just finished the book "Them Dukes! Them Dukes!" It was FANTASTIC! It is loaded with so much information! I did encounter a couple issues, like incorrect birthdays but I would highly recommend this book by Billie Rae Bates. She really is a big time fan. 

Where can you buy it? How long is it? ( I'm not ready right now for a heavy read!)

I'm really going to town on my Vikings TV series. I guess they call it binging. At this rate I will finish all 6 seasons in 2 months. There's a lot of great European history in this series. It's only loosely based on real events so I've been looking stuff up to see if it is accurate. It's hard to believe a bunch of savage Vikings could have terrorized an advanced city like Paris to the degree that they did.....not to mention what they did in England. 

3 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

I'm really going to town on my Vikings TV series. I guess they call it binging. At this rate I will finish all 6 seasons in 2 months. There's a lot of great European history in this series. It's only loosely based on real events so I've been looking stuff up to see if it is accurate. It's hard to believe a bunch of savage Vikings could have terrorized an advanced city like Paris to the degree that they did.....not to mention what they did in England. 

They were probably like the Leftists today. You know, guns and weapons are bad and only savages use those things. We're in a civilized society.  Then they were easily beaten down!

Paris I can understand. France imo was only strong when that little nut Napolean was in control.

This is quite an interesting read https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikings

Its kind of sad that history in school is more an after thought these days. Even when I was in school the only thing I remember learning about the vikings is they raided and plundered and that they discovered North America before Christopher Columbus did.

We mostly got freezing rain overnight, great. I'm beginning to think this winter will be like one we had about 6 or 7 years ago where we had little snowfall till late March early April when we had two big snow falls within a few weeks.

17 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

It's hard to believe a bunch of savage Vikings could have terrorized an advanced city like Paris to the degree that they did.....not to mention what they did in England. 

A episode of the current season of the UK TV show QI put forward the following:

When the Vikings invaded in the 11th century, English women found them attractive because they washed more often than the native British men. The Vikings tended to come without women, so they married English women, upsetting the locals. One monk, John of Wallingford, claimed that Danes cheated by washing. He wrote: "The Danes made themselves too acceptable to English women by their elegant manners and their care of their person. They combed their hair daily and took a bath every Saturday, and even changed their clothes frequently, be which means they undermined the chastity of the wives." Thus there is a theory that all of that stories about Vikings raping and pillaging were written by Englishmen whose wives were taken by more attractive Danes.

I must remember to have a bath on Saturday to make myself irresistible to women. ;)

That is so interesting Hoss. History is an unusual thing. It is always written by people in power and/or changed by them. That is why when I was a kid cowboys were portrayed as heros. Today, they are looked on by liberals as evil, hateful, murdering, rapists and racists. The truth..... as they say.....is usually somewhere in the middle. They weren't all good and they weren't all bad. Most of them were a little of both. Most people have a good and bad nature....devil on a shoulder and angel on the other.

I'm staying up late watching dirt bike supercross races tonight. I've really gotten into them this year. I'm excited about spring so I can get back out again on mine. I'm about due for a newer bike. Might even go with a smaller one. I'm looking at Kawasaki KLX 140. I like a lighter bike on the trails. I always have but especially now that I'm 60 and would have a tougher time pulling it out if it was stuck in the mud. 

On 1/26/2021 at 1:57 PM, HossC said:

A episode of the current season of the UK TV show QI put forward the following:

When the Vikings invaded in the 11th century, English women found them attractive because they washed more often than the native British men. The Vikings tended to come without women, so they married English women, upsetting the locals. One monk, John of Wallingford, claimed that Danes cheated by washing. He wrote: "The Danes made themselves too acceptable to English women by their elegant manners and their care of their person. They combed their hair daily and took a bath every Saturday, and even changed their clothes frequently, be which means they undermined the chastity of the wives." Thus there is a theory that all of that stories about Vikings raping and pillaging were written by Englishmen whose wives were taken by more attractive Danes.

I must remember to have a bath on Saturday to make myself irresistible to women. ;)

That was excellent Hoss!! I didn't know that! Very interesting! Thank you! 

Got another 4.5 inches of snow Thursday night into Friday morning bringing the total in 6 days to 11 inches. Expecting another 2-4 tonight then possibly few more inches Tuesday morning, then right now the forecasters are calling next Saturday "one to watch" which means it could dump several inches of snow or just one inch. My back is screaming from all the shoveling I've been doing. 

Saturday night so I'm watching Supercross dirt bike racing. Tomorrow is the big day for football. We're just staying home.....not because of covid....we usually don't go anywhere for the big game. Probably our coldest night of the year last night. Only a dusting of snow though, added to the 4 inches already on the ground. 

7 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Tomorrow is the big day for football. We're just staying home.....not because of covid....we usually don't go anywhere for the big game.

You obviously mean rugby football, Roger. It's good to know that you'll be staying in to watch Ireland v Wales this afternoon (or morning for you)! ;)

Comic shop sale was a bust, didn't have a single comic I needed to fill my collections. Only thing I got was a paper cut.

Wife showed me this story about a lady who put gorilla glue in her hair who is now thinking about suing Gorilla glue company because it doesn't specifically say not to on the bottle. I guess the $10k she's gotten so far on gofundme isn't enough, must be great to get paid thousands of dollars for your own stupidity. Sad part is she's a teacher :blink:

That reminds me of the time my wife got mad at me because I was talking too much. She put a toothpaste label over the Gorilla Glue and that shut me up for awhile. So I took the toothpaste label off and sued Gorilla Glue because it didn't say anywhere on the tube that I couldn't use it as toothpaste. I got revenge on my wife. I didn't share any of my ten million dollar settlement with her. 

On my way home last night I noticed a senior lady shoveling a path to her mail box so I turned around and stopped to help her. Her son came out to "help" after he seen me. She was 88 years old. Her son said he's got a herniated disc blah blah blah. I thought to myself herniated disc or not there's no way I'd let my octogenarian mother or father shovel snow. For Christ sake the city has a number you can call and a volunteer will come out and shovel your walk or to your mailbox for free.

Keep an eye on your catalytic converters they are the hot ticket item for thieves these days. They're even striking in the middle of the day where people work. Japanese cars seem to be targeted the most.