The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

10 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

This is a really unusual blizzard. Erie County is the upper left (NW) corner of the state and is on Lake Erie, which often affects the weather with "lake effect" snow. Quite often Erie County is the only county in the state that is under a snow storm alert. With this blizzard, Erie County is the only county in Pennsylvania that is NOT under a winter storm warning. The middle of the state might get 2 feet. 

We got 1/4 inch total :lol: , way far off the 2 inches that was forcasted by the local news stations. At least it looks pretty and we didn't get bombarded by the blizzard like some places. I'd hate to be digging out if 2+feet of snow. 

It's amazing how two different tire stores under the same franchise brand offer night and day service. Had the new used rim I picked up from the junkyard put on the wife's car Saturday. Since we were in one of the other suburbs we figured we'd get it down over there. On the way her car had a strange rearend wiggle every time we hit a bump or dip. Turns out the other three tires needed to be rebalanced again even though the tire store on our side of town "balanced" them a few weeks ago when they rotated them. The car drives fine now. Will be avoiding the tire store on our side of town from now on though.

The covid pandemic closed another local business for good. The local butterfly house will not re-open. Just 10 more days to go till this :censored:year is over with :banana:.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess 2020's not done with me yet... Found out my health insurance was cancelled when my wife was trying to setup an eye doctor appointment for me. We gave up today trying to get it resolved after being on hold and transferred to 5 different people who "couldn't help" for over an hour and a half. Got to love bureaucracy :fryingpan:. I assume it's because I'm named after my dad and since he had a bit of trouble trying to get his social security and Medicare setup earlier this year I'm guessing they're getting us mixed up as has happened in the past.

10 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I'm sorry to hear that Spike. Do you have the same middle name too? Hopefully 2021 will be better but the first half isn't looking like it's going to get off to a good start. Despite the pandemic I had a great 2020....mostly because of retirement. 

Yep same middle name too unfortunately. When he got into a little credit card trouble about 10 years ago my credit became collateral damage I'm assuming due to computer software not realizing we were two different people. The few credit card accounts I had got cancelled even though I never had even a late payment. Of course since they got cancelled my credit took a hit too. That was a fun cluster:censored: to try and clear up.

That's one thing new parents should think about before naming their children after other family members, at least change the middle name.

15 minutes ago, Spike said:

That's one thing new parents should think about before naming their children after other family members, at least change the middle name.

The practice of naming children after their parents seems to be more prevalent in the US than over here, although it's certainly not uncommon. Giving the child the same middle name would appear to be a step too far.

8 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I'm not sure but I think you have to have the same middle name here in the US, in order to officially attach the title "Junior". Is that correct Spike? 

There's more to this than I imagined. From Wikipedia:

In the United States the most common name suffixes are senior and junior, which are written with a capital first letter (Sr. and Jr.) with or without an interceding comma. In Britain these are rarer, but when they are used the abbreviations are Snr and Jnr, respectively. The use of these social terms is governed by etiquette, but not enshrined in law. According to The Emily Post Institute, an authority on etiquette, the term Jr. can be correctly used only if a male child's first, middle, and last names are identical to his father's (current) names. When a male child has the same name as his grandfather, uncle or male cousin, but not his father, he can use the II suffix, which is pronounced, "the second".

In the United Kingdom, the suffixes "Snr." and "Jnr." are rare, and not usually considered part of a person's name as such. Ordinal suffixes such as "III" are generally reserved for monarchs; however, the General Register Office has stated that, whereas it would normally reject a string of symbols or letters that "has no intrinsic sense of being a name" when registering a child, a suffix such as "III" would be accepted. Those who inherit a title of nobility do not use ordinal suffixes, but are distinguished from any ancestors with the same name by their position in the order of succession; for example Arthur Wellesley, 2nd Duke of Wellington is thus distinguished from his father, Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington.

Where I've met people in Ireland who are named after their father, they generally just use a variation of their name, e.g. Michael and his son Mick.

I've just realized that the example I gave above also applies to German racing driver Michael Schumacher and his racing driver son Mick Schumacher. I honestly wasn't thinking of them when I wrote it.

Went junkyarding today. Was looking to get some aluminum rims for my car but those were all gone so I got the last set of steelies for $50. Sucks they had cheap walmart tires on them otherwise I might've just thrown them on the car today but I'll be getting some new tires next weekend. The wife always comes to the junkyard with me and without fail there were a few guys shocked that a woman was there getting parts off a car :lol:.

With the money I saved due to the sale at the JY and a gift card I got for Xmas I stopped at Menards and got myself a new toy, Drill and Impact driver kit. Heard a bunch of those impact drivers at the JY while I was busting the lugnuts loose by hand and told myself I'm getting one. 

5 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

if I told my wife that older cars had carburetors and newer cars have fuel injection she'd look at me like I was speaking a foreign language. She's not exactly the mechanical type. 

13 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

not many women like that! Mine would be..." I'm not gonna do it...YOU do it!"

Yeah I got pretty lucky in the wife department. 

On 1/7/2021 at 8:49 PM, RogerDuke said:

My wife put all the Christmas decorations away today. I'd leave them out all January but marriage is give and take and I put up with her putting everything away. She can't stop me from listening to Christmas music when she's not home though. LOL

Roger....I declare...you're a wild man! You must cruise Hazzard on Friday and Saturday nights! :)

2 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

Roger....I declare...you're a wild man! You must cruise Hazzard on Friday and Saturday nights! :)

I've been known to listen to Christmas music as late as the third week of January. I truly am a rebellious outlaw, not worthy of being a member of civilized society. In 1987, I even drank egg nog 2 days past the expiration date. 

9 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I've been known to listen to Christmas music as late as the third week of January. I truly am a rebellious outlaw, not worthy of being a member of civilized society. In 1987, I even drank egg nog 2 days past the expiration date. 

Roger....you know....I don't know if you're even fit for civilized society! :)  ( even Hobie wouldn't do that! ;) )