The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

I had always wanted to see a bear in the wild. They're pretty rare in my county but when you get into the neighboring counties where there are more hills and woods, they aren't as rare but still not common. Despite living in the country, I went the first 60 years of my life and never saw a bear. Then, it happened on August 16 right in our back yard, there he was with all 3 of my wife's bird feeders on the ground helping himself. We got pictures and videos from the window just 30 feet away. Four days later we were in the neighboring county and saw one that had just been killed on the road. Two guys were standing there looking it over. Then, on August 27 our bear came back to eat more bird feed. Tonight I saw another one trying to cross the road. I got pretty close before he turned around and went back in the weeds. It was about 10 miles from our house. No bear sightings in 60 years and then 4 in less than a month....4 if you count the road kill and the one that came back that was likely the same bear. 

18 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Is your dad healthy enough to paint? Is he able to climb a ladder? It's always tough to tell a father to toughen up but maybe you should think of a polite respectful way to suggest to him that he has plenty of time to do the job. Of course the danger with that would be him making you feel guilty....especially if he did get hurt. Just keep putting it off and explaining you don't have time....you wouldn't be lying. In several weeks the weather won't be good enough anyways. Maybe you will have more time after winter. 

He's healthy enough, just lazy. Thing is my dad and uncles were sort of brought up to 'do for their parents even if they can do it themselves'. Which definitely isn't a bad thing but my dad tries to take advantage of it as much as possible. He either whines till you do it or he plays stupid till you have to fix his 'mistake'. I'm just to the point where it's just quicker to do it myself instead of wasting my time listening to his whining or trying to fix the crap he "screws up". Take his bathroom for example he kept doing little bandaid fixes instead of fixing the broken pipe, he whined to my one uncle till he came over and replaced the pipe and the bandaid fixes.

18 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I had always wanted to see a bear in the wild. They're pretty rare in my county but when you get into the neighboring counties where there are more hills and woods, they aren't as rare but still not common. Despite living in the country, I went the first 60 years of my life and never saw a bear. Then, it happened on August 16 right in our back yard, there he was with all 3 of my wife's bird feeders on the ground helping himself. We got pictures and videos from the window just 30 feet away. Four days later we were in the neighboring county and saw one that had just been killed on the road. Two guys were standing there looking it over. Then, on August 27 our bear came back to eat more bird feed. Tonight I saw another one trying to cross the road. I got pretty close before he turned around and went back in the weeds. It was about 10 miles from our house. No bear sightings in 60 years and then 4 in less than a month....4 if you count the road kill and the one that came back that was likely the same bear. 

You might want to take down the feeders for a while, once a bear finds a food source they will keep coming back to it especially this time of year when they're trying to put on as much weight as they can before hibernating. And be sure to lock the car doors and house doors as well.

6 hours ago, Spike said:

You might want to take down the feeders for a while, once a bear finds a food source they will keep coming back to it especially this time of year when they're trying to put on as much weight as they can before hibernating. And be sure to lock the car doors and house doors as well.

My wife stopped feeding the birds after the second visit. How long do you think she should wait before she starts again? 

I don't know if I have a favorite, and when I looked at a list, I realized that I've only visited a few in the UK. Windsor Castle wasn't too far from where I grew up, so I've been there at least a couple of times. I've also been to Warwick Castle, Tintagel Castle, The Tower of London and the ruins of Corfe Castle and Sandsfoot Castle. There's a vague recollection in the back of my mind of my grandparents taking me to a castle, but that was over 40 years ago and I've no idea which one it was. Nowadays, there's a castle where I live that dates back to the 12th century. I walk past it or through its grounds at least once a week, but I haven't been inside any of the buildings since last year.

Do you have any favorites from your book?

22 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

My wife stopped feeding the birds after the second visit. How long do you think she should wait before she starts again? 

Probably wait till October. Usually wild animals move on if their food source is gone. 

So yesterday I almost hit two squirrels chasing each other in the parking lot so I honked the horn and scared the bejesus out if both of them :lol:. Apparently one of them has a good memory of it, I stopped to check the mailbox today and this squirrel in a tree was giving me the business. I imagine he or she was cussing me out in squirrel language :lol:.

On 9/12/2020 at 5:14 PM, HossC said:

I don't know if I have a favorite, and when I looked at a list, I realized that I've only visited a few in the UK. Windsor Castle wasn't too far from where I grew up, so I've been there at least a couple of times. I've also been to Warwick Castle, Tintagel Castle, The Tower of London and the ruins of Corfe Castle and Sandsfoot Castle. There's a vague recollection in the back of my mind of my grandparents taking me to a castle, but that was over 40 years ago and I've no idea which one it was. Nowadays, there's a castle where I live that dates back to the 12th century. I walk past it or through its grounds at least once a week, but I haven't been inside any of the buildings since last year.

Do you have any favorites from your book?

The only one on your list that is in my book is Windsor. It has such an amazing history. Boldt Castle and Biltmore are the only 2 in the US that made the top 50. We visited Boldt Castle a couple years ago. Other favorites from my book? Hmm, Highclere, Chenonceau, Schloss Schwerin, Neuschwanstein, Peles, Chambord, Leeds.

7 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

The only one on your list that is in my book is Windsor. It has such an amazing history. Boldt Castle and Biltmore are the only 2 in the US that made the top 50. We visited Boldt Castle a couple years ago. Other favorites from my book? Hmm, Highclere, Chenonceau, Schloss Schwerin, Neuschwanstein, Peles, Chambord, Leeds.

Check out our local PBS listings Roger, every now and then they run a repeat of tours of British royalty castles/palaces on their 'Secrets Of' series. The episode which shows the one that Princess Diana's family owned was quite interesting.

9 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I nearly included Chenonceau in my list, but omitted it because it's a château rather than a castle (to me it's more akin to a stately home). I visited Chenonceau in the late-80s, and it was certainly very picturesque.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Check out our local PBS listings Roger, every now and then they run a repeat of tours of British royalty castles/palaces on their 'Secrets Of' series. The episode which shows the one that Princess Diana's family owned was quite interesting.

The Spencer family home: spelled Althorp, pronounced "Awltrupp" - that's the English for you!

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

I'm not sure if there is a clear definition of a castle but for whatever reason the author included it. 

I would've thought that a castle had to have some sort of defensive element against attacks, i.e. thick walls, battlements, a moat etc. Having said that, Highclere Castle (a name on your list and the main filming location for Downton Abbey) is only a large country house, so maybe the definition gets a little stretched.

7 hours ago, HossC said:

I would've thought that a castle had to have some sort of defensive element against attacks, i.e. thick walls, battlements, a moat etc. Having said that, Highclere Castle (a name on your list and the main filming location for Downton Abbey) is only a large country house, so maybe the definition gets a little stretched.

There is a very high percentage of these places that were built on the exact spot that a real castle stood earlier. Or, the remodeling job was so extreme that there is hardly anything left of the original. It could be just a matter of pride too.....like someone who has a pond but calls it a lake. I doubt there are laws against anybody labeling something a castle but I could be wrong. Boldt Castle certainly wasn't built for defensive purposes. The author of this book, Jasmina Trifoni, does appear to be taking liberties with the word castle so I tend to agree with you. 

10 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Cooling down here too. No rain forecast for the next several days and we sure need it. Our well is good but a lot of folks are going dry. 

We actually have a Frost advisory tonight for outlying areas brrrr. Was hoping we would have gotten rain early yesterday morning that was forecasted but nothing reached the ground.

Been a long day... Not sure what the wife did but pulled a muscle or something in her back. Ended up taking her to a local urgent care because she couldn't stand the pain anymore. Gave her a shot and a few prescriptions and told her to stay home from work for the next few days. Doc wants her to come back to do x-rays when she can the pain subsides. Hope it's nothing more than her muscles aching from her overworking herself.

I feel your pain Spike. When cool temps come in September my allergies are at their worst. The last few days have been pretty bad. I don't usually take medicine but since we were around other people I had to this weekend. My wife's father was in the Army in Germany in the late 70s and we get together with her friends (and their husbands) from high school every year so this year we met near Penn State. The actress Julianne Moore went to school with my wife. She showed her to me in the yearbook and she doesn't look that much different than she does today. My wife hasn't spoken to her since high school. Beautiful day today. I slept in and then worked on firewood. Astronomy tonight! 

Was listening to Bob & Tom on the radio this morning and the subject of which tv show would you want to live in if it was a real place came up. One if them answered Gilligan's Island but only with Ginger and Mary Anne, and also the professor because he made all those wacky inventions. Another said Andy Griffith show would be a nice place to escape from all the craziness in the world today. One even said The Simpsons because it would be cool to be yellow :lol:. For me it would be Dukes of Hazzard all the way.

The wife's doing much better today. We did a little bit of garage saleing and stopped at a few stores and the weekly bank run. At the drive thru at the bank this morning we almost seen a fight between an impatient jerk and a foul mouthed guy. Mr. impatient kept laying into the horn for the other guy to move out of the drive thru so they exchanged a few foul words then the one guy put his car in park but I guess decided not to get out and went on his merry way. 

5 hours ago, Spike said:

At the drive thru at the bank this morning we almost seen a fight between an impatient jerk and a foul mouthed guy. Mr. impatient kept laying into the horn for the other guy to move out of the drive thru so they exchanged a few foul words then the one guy put his car in park but I guess decided not to get out and went on his merry way. 

Were there any ramps around? I would have just jumped over them.