The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Looks like we're S.O.L., relatives won't loan us the money for the houses we showed them so it looks like we're stuck here for few months more, that is if the management renews our lease which doesn't look like that's happening either since we haven't gotten our renewal papers yet.

What really ticks me off is the relatives keep saying "omg you guys got to get out of there" yet when we asked for help we get a no. 

I think I need to go out into the woods and just break some branches to get rid of the anger that's boiling within me right now.

We checked out a couple of houses. One isn't on the market yet but seems nice from the outside, the roof looked excellent from the outside. 

The other one was definitely a handyman's special. Garage needs to be taken back the the studs if not more depending on the bug damage. House was a little better but still needs some work. Front cement porch needs to be jackhammered and redone. Also needs a new electrical panel etc.etc.etc...

Went for a walk at the park today and used this new phone app Seek by inaturalist. Identified 3 plants on our walk. The app also can id bugs too if they stand still for you anyways.

Also stopped at an estate sale this morning and scored a helluva bargain on some neat things. In the barn/garage was a beer and liquor bottles collection that had to be seen to be believed. They were 3 shelves full, and these shelves were the full length of the garage, and when he ran out of space on the shelves he hung them from the rafters. And here's the kicker, he didn't drink. The family don't know why he collected all these bottles. There were vintage bottles from USA, Mexico, Canada, England, Ireland, Scotland, Germany, France, Russia, Spain, aw heck probably all of Europe. We were there over an hour just looking at them.

Just once I would like something to go right this year, JUST ONCE, but apparently that's just too much to ask for!

Some local Boss Hogg outbid us on a house yesterday, willing to pay cash on the barrel. Unfortunately that was our last, best chance to get out of this :censored:hole apartment this year since our lease is up in 3 1/2 weeks. 

Wife and I went back to that estate sale from the weekend before and bought a few more jars and bottles. I grabbed all the remaining light blue Ball Mason jars. The wife grabbed a few more interesting liquor bottles and old syrup bottles. Some of the Mason jars I think had moonshine in them at one time, when we opened a couple of them they had a real strong odor :lol:

I seen a diy on turning Mason jars into light fixtures so that's my plan for a few of the jars, at least when or if we get a house. 

Troublemaker next door went on a screaming rant early yesterday morning about blowing somebody's brains out and just so happens one of the other neighbors was outside with her dog. She of course made a quick dash for her door. I doubt she will but I hope she called/calls and complains to the manager. 

I've had it with people telling us 'you guys got to move out of there' but are not willing to help us. Since it's been so long since they last rented they don't understand that some places want 2 months rent, or a few hundred dollars for a security deposit or a rental application. Then there's money for renting a moving truck. And we're trying to save money so we can put a larger down payment on a house so we can get better mortgage loan. If we move now we'd probably blow through everything we've saved so far. Of course we'll see if we still have a place to live this week, the wife contacted upper management about the issue here so we'll see if our lease renewal will be accepted or if we'll get booted out and they keep the troublemaker who doesn't even ''live'' here.

I did hit an amazing hole in one at minigolf this morning. Found a regular golf ball off to the side of the 13th hole so I put it on the putting square and hit it, it bounced off the rock hazzard then the putting green wall and then bounced into the hole. I wish the wife would have recorded that because I'll probably never do that again lol. 

4 hours ago, HossC said:

I love the way you spell hazard as hazzard even when when it's got nothing to do with the show! That's a true fan :).

LOL.....I'm so used to spelling it with 2 Zs I didn't even catch that Hoss! It just looks weird with one....unless you live in Hazard Kentucky.....which my autocorrect switched to 2 Zs until I changed it!

4 hours ago, Spike said:

I did hit an amazing hole in one at minigolf this morning. Found a regular golf ball off to the side of the 13th hole so I put it on the putting square and hit it, it bounced off the rock hazzard then the putting green wall and then bounced into the hole. I wish the wife would have recorded that because I'll probably never do that again lol. 

Sweet! 

9 hours ago, HossC said:

I love the way you spell hazard as hazzard even when when it's got nothing to do with the show! That's a true fan :).

:lol: I didn't even realize I did that when I posted hahaha. Surprised my phone's auto-correct didn't catch it :lol:

If you haven't upgraded your router in the last 5 years let me tell you it's worth getting a new one. Our old one, made in 2012 according to the sticker on the bottom, was having issues keeping up with all the tech connecting to the wifi so we got a new one from our ISP. What a difference, browsing the internet is faster, streaming doesn't intermittently pause to buffer and now I can watch hd Nascar race streams instead of having to watch 480p ones. Watching the last hour of the truck race stream yesterday in hd without any buffering pauses was great. 

• 2 weeks later...

Think I seen a shooting star/meteorite this morning while watching the wife leave for work. Seen a bright flash way up in the sky, thought it was a light from a plane coming or going from the nearby airport at first but there wasn't any more light flashes after that.

Past few weeks I scored 2 old Tyco train sets from garage and estate sales, paid $5 each for them. Will have to see if I can fix the engine in the one set as it was taken apart but if I can't at least I doubled the amount of track I have. I still have the tyco train set I got as a kid too.

It was probably a leftover one from the Perseid Meteor Shower from earlier this month. Strays can last for a couple weeks later after the peak that was on Aug 11-12. Of course it could have been just a loner....most meteors are. Considering that it is still August my bet would be that it was from the Perseids, based in the constellation Perseus and the result of a comet named Swift-Tuttle. 

21 hours ago, Spike said:

Don't know what is going on this morning but glad Hazzardnet isn't affected. Major internet outage going on apparently global wide but only seems to be affecting certain websites or areas. 

A lot of what you see on the internet is a bunch of garbage so maybe that's not so bad. Since the HazzardNet is the best website on the internet, it's a good thing it didn't get affected. MM guards it as fiercely as Miz Tisdale guards the mail. 

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

A lot of what you see on the internet is a bunch of garbage so maybe that's not so bad. Since the HazzardNet is the best website on the internet, it's a good thing it didn't get affected. MM guards it as fiercely as Miz Tisdale guards the mail. 

Ya got that right Roger. I'd say 80-90% of what's on the internet isn't worth looking at.

I woke up and seen there was a few notifications from my ring doorbell, went to see the videos from overnight and found out my internet was out as well as the ring cloud server internet. Our internet didn't come back on till after 10am. Even though I couldn't get on the internet thru my wifi somehow I was still able to stream thru the airyTV app :lol: that was the only tv streaming app that worked, I don't know how or why but glad I was able to watch a few episodes of Andy Griffith before breakfast.

Also found a few odd Dukes of Hazzard gems at the local Antique mall, took some pics of them and will post the pictures later when I get a chance to upload them. WB milked DoH as much as they could back in it's heyday.

Edited by Spike

Visiting relatives out of town didn't go as I'd hoped. Even though it didn't rain at all here it drizzled out there most if the afternoon so we were all stuck inside. Although my mother in law can swear like a sailor nobody else better dare too or else. What set her off this time is when I said 'dang' :lol:. Sometimes I loathe visiting her as sometimes we have to walk on eggshells around her if her meds are out of balance that day, and apparently it was one of those days. So yeah it was a fun labor day weekend.

Last week I was trimming some hedges that was hiding poison ivy so my left arm has a nice itchy rash. I will say I'm not having any issues with people not social distancing around me haha :lol:.

I just love when relatives volunteer me for stuff without even asking if I'm busy. I'm working 2 jobs as it is and on my day off I try to catch up on some sleep and get a few things done here at home. Now I've been volunteered by one of my uncle's to paint my dad's house. Guess I won't be helping one of my paying clients redesign her flower bed since I won't have the time to do the work now :angry:

3 hours ago, Spike said:

I just love when relatives volunteer me for stuff without even asking if I'm busy. I'm working 2 jobs as it is and on my day off I try to catch up on some sleep and get a few things done here at home. Now I've been volunteered by one of my uncle's to paint my dad's house. Guess I won't be helping one of my paying clients redesign her flower bed since I won't have the time to do the work now :angry:

How would it go over if you just told your uncle that you don't have time because you work 2 jobs? How does your dad feel about all this? 

5 hours ago, Spike said:

I hope these aren't the same relatives who wouldn't lend you money for a house recently. You can't earn money if you're doing work for free!

6 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

How would it go over if you just told your uncle that you don't have time because you work 2 jobs? How does your dad feel about all this? 

My uncle already knows we work 2 jobs. My dad is all for it, if he doesn't have to lift a finger to do anything he won't. Funny thing is he's been retired since June so he's had plenty of time to paint but hasn't. Sad thing is his 80+ year old neighbor does more stuff around his property than my dad does on his property and he's only 66. It just really annoys me that he does this helpless and stupid act so everyone will do the stuff he could do on his own.

On 9/9/2020 at 6:23 PM, Spike said:

My uncle already knows we work 2 jobs. My dad is all for it, if he doesn't have to lift a finger to do anything he won't. Funny thing is he's been retired since June so he's had plenty of time to paint but hasn't. Sad thing is his 80+ year old neighbor does more stuff around his property than my dad does on his property and he's only 66. It just really annoys me that he does this helpless and stupid act so everyone will do the stuff he could do on his own.

Is your dad healthy enough to paint? Is he able to climb a ladder? It's always tough to tell a father to toughen up but maybe you should think of a polite respectful way to suggest to him that he has plenty of time to do the job. Of course the danger with that would be him making you feel guilty....especially if he did get hurt. Just keep putting it off and explaining you don't have time....you wouldn't be lying. In several weeks the weather won't be good enough anyways. Maybe you will have more time after winter.