The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

I kayaked 3 days in a row but the streak will end today....Too many things to catch up on around the house. I have another kayak trip planned tomorrow. No rain forcast for the next few days. Covid numbers back on the rise. Baseball is still scheduled for the end of July but I'm really starting to doubt It.

Might know why the limb fell on my car. Neighbor helped us cut the limb into manageable chunks today. Anyways he was telling us he seen the storm the other night and remarked that he only seen tree limbs move like that in a tornado. That might explain why only certain trees in the neighborhood got damaged while others didn't even lose a branch and why the limb landed on my car instead of the power lines that were directly below it.

Some trees can handle wind better than others. If you want to toast marshmallows and you try to break a small branch off a maple it will bust easily but if you try it with a hickory it just bends. Flexibility is always a good thing in wind. I went kayaking today and have another float planned tomorrow. That will make 5 in 6 days. 

Most of the trees in the neighborhood are maples or various species of pine trees. Thing I can't figure out is the maple in my dad's front yard which has one of its main branches completely dead didn't drop anything during the storm. Yet a few houses down the tree in that front yard lost a big limb which blocked part of the road for the night. Just one of those freak storms I guess.

Get out and enjoy the water before next week's heat wave Roger. 

If you have a garbage disposal do yourself a favor and put an old pan or dish under it just in case it ever springs a leak like the one in our apartment did yesterday. Another tip use some scrap vinyl flooring to cover the area beneath the kitchen sink in case a leak does happen it won't ruin your cabinet.

God I sure could use a drama free day or two of fishing.

14 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Now that's what I call a good way to start a day! Even now that I'm retired I still never watch Dukes when I first get up. I don't know why. I guess I never even thought about it before. 

I can only stand the morning news for about 20 minutes then I change it over to one of the retro tv channels or pop a dvd in. I'm still working my way through Season 4, on disc 7 now. After I finish Season 4 I'll probably pop in a Simsons season set I recently got as a gift. With everything going on lately I need an escape otherwise I'd go nuts.

On 7/10/2020 at 2:57 PM, Spike said:

I can only stand the morning news for about 20 minutes then I change it over to one of the retro tv channels or pop a dvd in. I'm still working my way through Season 4, on disc 7 now. After I finish Season 4 I'll probably pop in a Simsons season set I recently got as a gift. With everything going on lately I need an escape otherwise I'd go nuts.

If you can make it 20 minutes then you're getting in about 19 minutes more than me. Anymore, I just check out the headlines and that's it. TV news used to be informative and it was once REAL NEWS. Now they're  all just a bunch of opinion shows. I do watch all of the local news though. They still do a good job.

I haven't been watching anyDOH episodes lately. Our daughter and her family are staying with us for a week. It's been fun. 

The ring camera caught some interesting stuff over the weekend. Caught the neighbors buddy smoking crack out front and also the buddy's latest addict flousie reaching underneath the fence to mess with our flower garden, hope she enjoyed all the pickers from my cactus patch. I would show the footage to the manager but they don't give a :censored: anyways so I'd just be wasting my time. 

Hopefully we'll be checking out some houses this coming weekend so we can get the heck out of here. Surprisingly the market here is on fire, few houses we both liked got sold before we could even get a tour.

8 hours ago, Spike said:

Hopefully we'll be checking out some houses this coming weekend so we can get the heck out of here. Surprisingly the market here is on fire, few houses we both liked got sold before we could even get a tour.

I sure hope you can get out of there as soon as possible. Hang in there buddy!

The house we checked out tonight was a complete teardown. And the smell in there, either it's mold or a dead animal or both. Can't believe the seller and realtor are passing it off as move in ready. The garage was awesome though and the lot size was nice just needed the weeds and brush removed. 

2nd house we checked out today was better than the first. Only issue is size. All the rooms except for the kitchen are smaller than our apartment. Plus side kitchen has new appliances except for a fridge and the basement has been waterproofed and it has a nice 3 season enclosed back porch. Not sure if either of the "2" bedrooms could fit our queen size bed and have room for one of our dressers. I put 2 in quotations because the 2nd bedroom is only big enough to use as a nursery if we have a kid or just an office. The living room, let's just say if we had company over they'd probably have to sit on the floor or hang out in the kitchen lol. At least it didn't smell like death like the first house did :lol:.

I'm a nervous wreck with everything going on and our lease being up soon and not knowing where we'll live but the wife is cool as a cucumber that everything will work out for us. I hope she's right. Also wish I had her calm everything is going to be ok attitude.

We were told this week by the property manager that we'll just have to deal with the neighbors buddy no matter how long he's going to be here even though in the lease it says visitors are limited to 7 days. So basically he's been given squatters rights so that's :censored: great.

9 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Are you going to look at a third one anytime soon? It's always nice to have a cool wife. My wife keeps her cool better than I do but it sounds like yours has mine beat in the cool department. 

There are a few others we're interested in, they're just a bit out of our price range though. 

Yeah she's great :), almost always thinking positive, ever the optimist. While I'm more of a pessimist. She is a bit more of a hothead though when she gets riled up so I always try to stay on her good side.

Edited by Spike

3 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

It's a bit depressing how slow things are here on the HazzardNet. 

That guy who was reviewing episodes hasn't posted one for a couple of weeks - they normally stimulate a bit of conversation! ;)

I've recently mentioned a few occasions when I've spotted Dukes guest cast members in CHiPs, but this afternoon I got to see a couple of episodes from the first season of Hart to Hart which, like the first season of Dukes, dates from 1979. The first, 'Jonathan Hart Jr.', featured Michael Alldredge (Wheeler in 'People's Choice' and Coogan in 'The Ransom of Hazzard County') as a police lieutenant. The second, 'Death in the Slow Lane', also had a familiar face - Andra Akers (Molly Hargrove in 'Birds Gotta Fly').

Over the last couple of days it's been quite depressing looking up some of these actors on IMDb because I keep coming across people who've died young. In this case Michael Alldredge and Andra Akers were 56 and 58 respectively. It was even worse at the weekend when I checked out a cast member in CHiPs and found she'd been killed by an ex-partner just a month after the episode aired - she was just 22! I suppose it's the luck of the draw - the stars of Hart to Hart, Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers are now 90 and 77 respectively.