The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

21 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

Poor  thugs...or protesters or whatever name they go by now....they don't have anything to occupy their time!

Yeah obviously they don't have jobs. Everyday this week there's been a protest here or there around here. At least they were all peaceful except for one day. 

Roger Duke said

My county had 31 new covid cases yesterday, a new record for us.

If you had protests in that county that's probably where the new cases came from. I expect within two weeks the USA will hit a new peak of covid19 cases especially in cities where a lot of people protested. Wouldn't surprise me if we have a 2nd lockdown soon.

By the end of the month everything should be opened back up here in Ohio including amusement parks. 

Kayaking sounds like fun, last time I was in the water was in a canoe and had a blast. What kind of kayak do you have Roger?

Was a busy weekend for us. From the in laws finding a 5 week old kitten behind the barn of the house they rent in the country and we went and picked it up to find a foster home here and then they decide they want to keep it so we took it back to them today. And my wife's Uncle and Aunt we visited last week needing a ride back home after car trouble. I ended up buying a bunch of plants at this one lady's annual plant sale and clearance plants at a local Lowe's so I'm gonna have a busy day planting them in my pots tomorrow afternoon before dinner.

23 hours ago, Spike said:

Kayaking sounds like fun, last time I was in the water was in a canoe and had a blast. What kind of kayak do you have Roger?

Just cheap Sun Dolphins from Wal-Mart. So, what's up with this latest trend of cities wanting to defund police departments. Don't they understand that if Rosco, Enos and Cletus weren't running around in police cars our favorite show would be downright boring. 

10 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

So, what's up with this latest trend of cities wanting to defund police departments. Don't they understand that if Rosco, Enos and Cletus weren't running around in police cars our favorite show would be downright boring. 

I say let them do it then the ones calling for it will really know what it's like to live in a 3rd world country run by criminals. I know one thing if one of the cities actually does that all the honest hard working people will make a mass exodus out of there right along with a bunch of businesses and stores. I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a mass resigning in the minneapolis police dept. since the protestors are calling for the dept. to be disbanded.

What kind of irks me is George Floyd is being honored like he was a Saint but he wasn't, yet Police Chief David Dorn who was killed trying to stop looters is basically being ignored. He's the one who should be getting a a hero's send-off.

Have to get everything I had planned to do yesterday done today before the rain comes in since the car was in the muffler shop all day yesterday. They forgot to mention on their FB page that they only do drop offs now and don't allow anyone to wait while the vehicles are serviced. Due to the construction around here it took me over an hour to walk back home the long way and of course when I get home they called and said the car was ready :lol:. Told them I'd pick it up when the wife got out of work. Had to postpone a grass reseeding job too today which sucks as it's supposed to be in the mid 90's today. 

Oh man, this is the worst my lower back has hurt in a long time. I have to figure out someway to make my kayak more comfy. Of course it didn't help that I was hauling, splitting and stacking firewood for 5 hours after kayaking yesterday. I'm not doing anything physical today. 

On 6/5/2020 at 10:46 AM, RogerDuke said:

I just found out they arrested 5 people. There was some kind of drug deal gone bad and a girl got beat up in the middle of it all. I'm not sure where the guy who knocked on my door fit in. Usually the most excitement we get in my corner of the sticks involves animals. 

I was listening to police band the night of my last post, when there was supposed to be even a larger crowd down the street. Seems some kid tried to sell a stolen gun to the security guard at the weed shop down the street. He said he wanted to kill a cop and get into a shoot out with them. The guard called the cops and they chased him down the main drag. They stopped him and recovered the gun without incident. Guess the kid really didn't want that after all. I forgot how interesting it was listening to police band. Last time I did that for an entire evening was back around when Dukes was still originally airing.

4 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Oh man, this is the worst my lower back has hurt in a long time. I have to figure out someway to make my kayak more comfy. Of course it didn't help that I was hauling, splitting and stacking firewood for 5 hours after kayaking yesterday. I'm not doing anything physical today. 

I hope you get to feeling better bud! My back  gives me trouble all the time. I have Arthur in my spine and my Dr. isn't in this week! 

22 hours ago, Meadowmufn said:

I was listening to police band the night of my last post, when there was supposed to be even a larger crowd down the street. Seems some kid tried to sell a stolen gun to the security guard at the weed shop down the street. He said he wanted to kill a cop and get into a shoot out with them. The guard called the cops and they chased him down the main drag. They stopped him and recovered the gun without incident. Guess the kid really didn't want that after all. I forgot how interesting it was listening to police band. Last time I did that for an entire evening was back around when Dukes was still originally airing.

It will be a pretty quiet radio if police departments disappear. I'm glad nobody got hurt MM. 

For all the BS that was coming out of all the local weather forecasters mouths all day we were expecting the storm of the century instead of the 2 minute downpour we got. 'Batten down the hatches', 'make sure your flashlights have good batteries' etc.etc... they said. Guess I should be happy we didn't have a bad thunderstorm but we sure could've used more rain than what we got.

14 hours ago, Spike said:

For all the BS that was coming out of all the local weather forecasters mouths all day we were expecting the storm of the century instead of the 2 minute downpour we got. 'Batten down the hatches', 'make sure your flashlights have good batteries' etc.etc... they said. Guess I should be happy we didn't have a bad thunderstorm but we sure could've used more rain than what we got.

We had some pretty bad storms last night. I was real lucky since I didn't lose my satellite signal until a couple minutes after the Supercross dirt bike races. For awhile there I thought for sure I'd miss the last couple minutes. 

My in laws and their neighbors lost power for a while, guess a tree took out a power line out by them. Sandusky seems to have gotten the worst of the wind, blew down one of the older buildings in town, the bricks crushed a few cars but nobody was injured. 

Brother in law learned that kittens aren't easy and now I'm trying to find a pet place that will take the little kitten in. The place that was lined up the other day to take it in is now full. Doesn't help that their dog is a mean varmint otherwise they'd probably keep the kitten. Wish their dog was more like Flash and less like Cujo, dang'dest thing is it's the same breed as Flash.

Wife and I went for a walk in one of our favorite local parks yesterday. Being a wet prairie It's mosquito haven when the temps are in the 70's like it was yesterday but we had a new secret weapon. Found this product called Buggy Beds Mosquito Repellent Pouch for $4 each at the store. They passed the first test, not a single mosquito landed on us though it was breezy yesterday so there were less than normal amount of mosquito's out but the ones that were out didn't want to land on us. So far I can recommend them, will have to see how they do in future outings as it says they last up to a month if you keep them in the resealable bag they come in. It was nice not having to take another shower to wash off insect repellent when we got home. The only downside is it appears they repell butterflies too.

The kitten my in laws found will be in a pet foster home this week :) at least it will have a better chance at life than its mother who was hit and killed in front of their place.

I pulled an all-nighter last night doing astronomy and slept most of the day today. I'm hoping for another all-nighter but some clouds are moving in....pretty thin though so I'm not too worried. I'm watching live Supercross dirt bikes right now. They wrap their season up on Sunday.

14 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I pulled an all-nighter last night doing astronomy and slept most of the day today. I'm hoping for another all-nighter but some clouds are moving in....pretty thin though so I'm not too worried. I'm watching live Supercross dirt bikes right now. They wrap their season up on Sunday.

See anything interesting? 

Too much light pollution here at night. Not far away we have this area where a bunch of dealerships are located, almost all the makes are sold except for the ultra luxury and fast exotics. The lights there could make Nascar tracks with lights look dark. Sometimes when the clouds are real low it reflects the light and makes it look almost daylight out in the middle of the night. I've tried taking pics of full moons with my camera but never get a decent shot here.

I didn't see anything I havent seen before. I'm going through something called the Messier list, named after a 1700s French comet hunter. It is a list of the best 110 objects in the sky that are outside of the solar system. I've completed the list twice before but decided to do it again just for fun. I've observed 87 of the 110 since Jan 1. The toughest ones to get are the galaxies in the Virgo Cluster but I've already got those. They built a prison 4 miles from me probably 25 years ago so sometimes in that direction I get the same effect you do with the reflection but for me it's only in part of the sky. It really doesn't hurt my astronomy though since I'm not observing when there are clouds. 

Celebrated my birthday by going minigolf-ing. My game was way off yesterday :lol: only hit a par 2 once. My worst hole was a ten stroke lmao. The wife clobbered me, good thing she didn't want to bet like we usually do lol. We kept hearing a frog call at one hole, I ended up locating it in one of the pond's pipes that's either used to fill or clean it so I broke a stick off a nearby bush and shoved it in the hole, hope the frog climbed its way out. 

Even though the Nascar race wasn't at Sonoma like it usually is on or around my birthday at least it was at another favorite track of mine, Talladega. 

Finally had some rain here, been about 2 weeks since the last measurable rainfall. Chances of rain all week and I hope it does rain most of the days.

I hope you had a great birthday Spike despite getting beat by your wife in putt putt. For what it's worth, my wife usually beats me too. It was nice to get rain since we've been pretty dry too. Got a lot of rain yesterday and the same so far today. I went kayaking on Lake Erie two days ago and couldn't believe how clear the water was. I've never seen it that clear. You could even see bottom if you went out real far. Maybe it was because we hadn't got a lot of rain to stir things up. The rain will help get creek levels up. When they're too low it's hard to kayak. The nice thing about the dry weather is that there hasn't been many mosquitos here. 

Edited by RogerDuke

Usually my score is under par and I win the bets but ya can't win them all even though my competitive :butthead: tries every trick in the book too.

Yeah Erie is only clear when the area tributaries don't get rain for a week or so, unless you go way out into the middle of Erie where the sediment doesn't reach.

Been a long couple of days and I don't know how much more I can take... :censored: neighbor started up with us again. Apparently he doesn't give a :censored: about the law or he figures with all this BLM stuff going on the cops won't do anything to his buddy who is legally not even allowed on the property. :mad::censored:

The storm overnight apparently had some high winds which knocked a really large branch off a big maple onto my 1st car which also happened to be my grandpa's last car that was parked at my dad's property. No resto-modding it now, roof is caved in. Had a lot of plans for that car. Even though a lot family told me to junk it after the transmission was blown I held out since it was a rare two tone factory paint job on an '81 Monte Carlo that I hoped to bring back to a nice shiny luster. Was gonna drop in a LS motor to replace the anemic v6 that didn't have enough power to get out of its own way and also grab a new GM 6 speed auto trans. Was gonna upgrade the brakes to discs at all four corners and grab a set of later Monte Carlo 5 spoke rims. The interior I was gonna chuck the bench seat for buckets, was even thinking of going with a set from a 70's Monte that swiveled, and probably have them upholstered in leather in a tan color to match the interior color. None of that's happening now though :(

Gonna have to make it a triple dose Roger. Battery was dead in my car this morning. At least it was a simple job of replacing it unlike today's vehicles. The old battery I bought back in 2014 so I guess I got my money's worth out of it.

Also found out yesterday that i lost out on a deck job. They decided to go with an epoxy coating company instead. The extra money sure would've been nice right now but at least we got 2 inches of rain the past 48hrs so I'll be busy mowing again.