The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

Was going to start on a small shoe rack project today but the local Lowes was sold out of the wood I needed yet the website said that they had plenty of stock. I just wish that just one time that any store's website would list the correct amount of stock of any product, I understand that it will always be off a little from shoplifting but it sure is frustrating sometimes. Guess I'll just try another day to see if they get some in one one of the trucks this week.

Looking forward to checking out the first day of the farmers market this afternoon. Just have to remember to bring my mask and not touch things like I normally would do. 

Edited by Spike

I really like this thread. It's always nice to see how everybody's doing. We finished the flooring we were replacing. It was tough work but was worth it. It's raining today so I won't get outside to do firewood. That's good since I could use the rest. I'm watching dirt bike races now that I recorded. Supercross is jamming a lot of races into 3 weeks to get caught up. 

7 hours ago, Meadowmufn said:

I'm sorry to say, the law finally caught up to them Duke boys. Saw this while monitoring regional police activity because we had some looting and a small riot about a mile from our house.

VEH PURSUIT
06/01/20 22:14
(SEATTLE - SPD EAST) UPDATE: UNITS WERE PURSUING A DODGE CHARGER, 2 SUBJECTS IN CUSTODY, 1 NON-PD VEHICLE STRUCK, NO INJURIES [WAS133]

I'm a bit concerned. My best friend just moved there. He doesn't have a Charger though so I suspect he is fine 

5 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I'm a bit concerned. My best friend just moved there. He doesn't have a Charger though so I suspect he is fine 

There's a little town a mile down the road from us that had trouble last night. Fights, a few shots fired (no one hit), large crowd. Business owners standing out in front of their businesses armed to the teeth. Larger crowds are expected today. County sheriffs are heading in to support and National Guard is on standby. Oof.

The PD in my hometown in CA got word looters and rioters were planning to hit the mall 2 blocks from my parents' house. It's one of the largest malls in the US and just underwent a $280 million renovation. The PD blocked all entrances, exits, and streets around the mall with buses, garbage trucks, shipping containers, and wrecked cars. They had armored SWAT vehicles and fire trucks inside the perimeter. Seems the looters decided there wasn't anything worth looting there last night. :lol:

Local pd seems to be keeping the looters at bay here. They got word that the last local indoor mall was going to be hit the other night so they shut down all the roads around it. Protests today were peaceful and this time they decided not to March in a main road during rush hour. 

The farmers market was a bust today, only half the vendors showed up even though it was moved to a bigger parking lot this year. Hopefully more will show up in the next few weeks.

3 hours ago, Meadowmufn said:

The PD in my hometown in CA got word looters and rioters were planning to hit the mall 2 blocks from my parents' house. It's one of the largest malls in the US and just underwent a $280 million renovation. The PD blocked all entrances, exits, and streets around the mall with buses, garbage trucks, shipping containers, and wrecked cars. They had armored SWAT vehicles and fire trucks inside the perimeter. Seems the looters decided there wasn't anything worth looting there last night. :lol:

Yea...basically they're just animals and cowards......looters......is that the new name for Thugs now??? ;)   It's great to see you back Mufn....we love you and miss you when we don't see you! ;) 

We just had some excitement in the neighborhood. Some tall guy on drugs knocked on my parents door (a mile away from me) asking for a ride. When my dad said no the guy ran off in the woods behind the house. He ended up at someone else's house and did the same....and another and another. Since we don't get many folks knocking on our doors out in the sticks at night the cops were called in. They ended up looking for him with 4 different cars. I only have one neighbor close to me (different road than my parents) and he called me and said the guy was there and was now coming to my house. When he knocked I didn't answer the door but called the cops to let him know he was here. When the cops came I told them which direction he went. I also called the neighbors in that direction to warn them. No word yet if they caught him. I like helping folks but when when someone is on drugs they can be a little unpredictable. 

6 hours ago, Meadowmufn said:

One thing I find funny about all this is the curfews. Hmm, let me think here. These folks are shooting cops, setting police stations, police cars and business on fire. They're terrorizing, stealing and vandalizing. Do you really think they're going to say "Ah, shucks. I can't do that stuff anymore because I'm not allowed outside past 9:00."

7 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

We just had some excitement in the neighborhood. Some tall guy on drugs knocked on my parents door (a mile away from me) asking for a ride. When my dad said no the guy ran off in the woods behind the house. He ended up at someone else's house and did the same....and another and another. Since we don't get many folks knocking on our doors out in the sticks at night the cops were called in. They ended up looking for him with 4 different cars. I only have one neighbor close to me (different road than my parents) and he called me and said the guy was there and was now coming to my house. When he knocked I didn't answer the door but called the cops to let him know he was here. When the cops came I told them which direction he went. I also called the neighbors in that direction to warn them. No word yet if they caught him. I like helping folks but when when someone is on drugs they can be a little unpredictable. 

Glad he wasn't violent. Hope the cops nabbed him too.

We have an addict around here that has stepped up his game since some of the police don't care to bother with him. He used to knock on doors and ask for money "for gas" but now just breaks into cars in the parking lot if he sees change in them. He used to just come around at night but now he's doing it during the day. Heard from one of the neighbors that he broke into someone's car and they caught him and tried to keep him here till the cops showed up but he escaped just a few minutes before the first officer got here. 

One thing I like about the ring doorbell security camera is it picks up movement from farther than I thought it would. It picks up movement in the parking lot even though it's not facing the parking lot.

7 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

One thing I find funny about all this is the curfews. Hmm, let me think here. These folks are shooting cops, setting police stations, police cars and business on fire. They're terrorizing, stealing and vandalizing. Do you really think they're going to say "Ah, shucks. I can't do that stuff anymore because I'm not allowed outside past 9:00."

Right.

It's unfortunate, but not surprising, the bad seeds are hiding in with the peaceful protestors so everybody gets lumped in with the troublemakers when they attack and loot. What I seen yesterday on the news is what more peaceful protestors should do, they were trying to stop some of the non-peaceful protestors and pointed them out to the officers. Like in Nascar Cautions breed Cautions, Violence will just be met with more Violence and so on. But as long as the protests are peaceful their message will be heard better as the news won't have any violence to cover.

Edited by Spike

Got some gardening done yesterday. Planted the 6 Coleus plants I bought at the farmers market, 2 in the garden and 4 in various pots. Still have a few pots that need plants so I'll be stopping by nearby greenhouses this weekend. Some dang varmint got into the corn at my dad's so now I'm down to 3, hope I can find a few corn plants at the greenhouses. 

Protestors will try to block traffic during rush hour in one of the busiest intersections in one of the suburbs tomorrow. That ought to be interesting to see on the news tomorrow night. I'll be surprised if that stays peaceful with all the traffic that flows through there. Then again mother nature might put the kibosh on the protest as there's a chance for t storms tomorrow afternoon.

On 6/3/2020 at 7:25 AM, Spike said:

Glad he wasn't violent. Hope the cops nabbed him too.

I just found out they arrested 5 people. There was some kind of drug deal gone bad and a girl got beat up in the middle of it all. I'm not sure where the guy who knocked on my door fit in. Usually the most excitement we get in my corner of the sticks involves animals. 

On 6/3/2020 at 7:43 AM, Spike said:

Right.

It's unfortunate, but not surprising, the bad seeds are hiding in with the peaceful protestors so everybody gets lumped in with the troublemakers when they attack and loot. What I seen yesterday on the news is what more peaceful protestors should do, they were trying to stop some of the non-peaceful protestors and pointed them out to the officers. Like in Nascar Cautions breed Cautions, Violence will just be met with more Violence and so on. But as long as the protests are peaceful their message will be heard better as the news won't have any violence to cover.

Great post Spike! 

On 6/5/2020 at 1:49 PM, RogerDuke said:

What are those?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ColeusColeus

They can get surprisingly big in the right growing conditions, ones I had last year got 3 1/2 feet tall.

The protest got rained out before they made it to the busy intersection. Bet that made all the rush hour travellers happy lol. 

Edited by Spike

So that's what they are! We have some of those around here!

The protest got rained out before they made it to the busy intersection. Bet that made all the rush hour travellers happy lol.

Poor  thugs...or protesters or whatever name they go by now....they don't have anything to occupy their time!

I took my grandson kayaking in Conneaut Ohio yesterday. We went right beside a 1000 foot freightliner called the Edgar B Speer. It was so cool to be floating in the water right beside something that huge. My county had 31 new covid cases yesterday, a new record for us. Beautiful day so far. I'm going on a solo kayak trip today and watching dirt bike races later. 

Our next phase of easing of lockdown starts tomorrow. I was walking around the town this afternoon, and a lot of the high street stores look like they're ready to reopen. Unlike the UK, the same doesn't apply stores at indoor shopping malls which have to wait for now.

Erie County Pennsylvania just got denied going into the green phase. On one hand our county exectuve campaigned for it. On the other hand she kept saying how bad our numbers are and how nobody is social distancing. I guess the governor listened to her doomsday talk. Where I come from that's called shooting yourself in the foot. 

3 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

We're open everywhere but of course I live in the real life Hooterville...Sparta Tn. ( Do NOT judge the south by this town!)

If it weren't for all my family here I'd definitely move south...actually I'd move to the closest location I could find to the original Dukes farm.