The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

After the job I did last week I have newfound respect for Disaster cleanup crews and ASPCA/Humane Society volunteers. That was the first and last time I will ever do a job like that unless it's for my own home. To top it off I just got paid the regular rate not double like I was expecting, but after getting chewed out for one of the other guys that was hired B.S. I just wanted my paycheck so I could get the heck out of that horror, didn't check the amount till I got home and that made me even madder. Last night was the first night that I actually slept more than 3-4 hours in a row since last Monday, got a full 8hrs. Every time I closed my eyes last week I was right back in that nightmare. I even took melatonin and zzzquill but that didn't work. Told my buddy don't ever bother call me for a special job like that again as I will not do it especially for that amount of money. Still can't get the smell out of my nose, every now and then a whiff of it pops in and I just spray air freshener till I smell that instead, I even febreezed the hell out of my car twice to make sure the smell is out of there.

Don't know if the Dukes of Hazzard is going to be on MeTV soon but this morning during the commercial break on the Beverly Hillbillies they played the Dukes theme song with Bo's yeehaw and the sound of one of the General's jumps, unfortunately the video feed went black as that came on so I don't know if it was one of their ads for an upcoming classic show being added to the lineup or one of MeTV's online quizzes advertisement. I checked their website and social network sites but there's nothing on the Dukes.  

Circle network has been running old HeeHaw reruns a few times a day, I doubt they are the full episodes but it seems like they are sticking with the original shows commercial break schedule. Shows these days you are lucky to get 5 full minutes of entertainment between commercials but it seems they are airing about 15 minutes of HeeHaw before a commercial break. They also have the Jeff Foxworthy show on there.

Edited by Spike

I think we've had less than half a dozen mornings this winter where I've had to scrape the frost off my windshield, but it was still -2°C when I went out at about 9.30am yesterday. My backyard gets very little sun at this time of year, and I think the frost lasted all day on my shed roof.

I'm not sure if you use this term over there or not but over here we would say that "you jinxed yourself". Also, if we are bragging about not being sick (or getting a speeding ticket....or anything bad like that) we say "knock on wood".... and actually knock if wood is around. Do you say either of those?

4 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I'm not sure if you use this term over there or not but over here we would say that "you jinxed yourself". Also, if we are bragging about not being sick (or getting a speeding ticket....or anything bad like that) we say "knock on wood".... and actually knock if wood is around. Do you say either of those?

We use both of those expressions over here.

4 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Hey Hoss, was the death of Christopher Tolkein a big deal over there? It didn't get much attention over here. I've become a pretty big Lord of the Rings fan these past several years. 

I read that he'd died last week, but with the fires in Australia, impeachment hearings in the US and Harry & Meghan stepping back from their royal duties in the UK (and an election being called in Ireland), I don't think it grabbed many headlines. There's a short BBC article below:

'First Middle-earth scholar' Christopher Tolkien dies

If you have someone else change the oil in your vehicles make sure they know just how much to put in. My dad got an oil change back in late November at a nearby tire store since he had gotten a free oil change coupon from them when he had one of the tires fixed there. Well it turns out they put 2 quarts too much oil in his Cruze. 2 weeks ago it developed a misfire and of course my dad, Mr. Procrastinator, let it go till my wife got his brother involved after our weekend plans got derailed. Anyways my uncle had him take it to his mechanic and it needed new spark plugs because they were completely black from the over abundance of oil. Mechanic also did an oil change and fixed another thing that was related to a recent GM TSB bulletin. Hopefully there's no other issues that will pop up from that oil change. I think that 2nd free oil change coupon from that tire store will go unused lol. 

We got about 4-5 inches of snow from that same storm Roger, though the snow we got was the wet heavy kind before it turned over to sleet and then rain. That was a pain in the back to shovel, luckily just had to do 2 driveways this time. Just glad my winter coat is waterproof, the rest of me got soaked though from the rain and sleet. This weekend's weather forecast looks similar but the local tv meteorologists keep saying it's going to be mostly rain but that's what they said last week before the storm.

Here's the Circle tv network website https://www.circleallaccess.com/ 

On 1/27/2020 at 10:22 PM, RogerDuke said:

Am I the only one who will be happy when January is out of the way? It's my least favorite month. 

Nope you're not the only one. This has been one lousy January. Made plans for every weekend this month only to have them go kablooey every weekend either because of weather or car troubles. Was gonna go to the movies Sunday but the mysterious coolant leak in my car finally became a bigger leak and one of the Good(for a)years on the wife's car was half empty. Mechanic should have my car fixed tomorrow and then we get the fun of going back to the tire shop Sat. morning with her car to see why the tire won't hold air. If we could afford too I'd buy a new set of tires, sick of dealing with the goodyears that are on it. 

On 1/29/2020 at 10:40 PM, RogerDuke said:

Wow! I just realized that I don't even know what kind of tires I have. That's a bit embarrassing. 

Maybe you've got a set of 4  " Babaloon" tires!  :)  ( you remember that line don't ya?)  Hey Spike, let us know how it turns out!

On 1/29/2020 at 10:40 PM, RogerDuke said:

Edited by Hobie Harkins