The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

There were just too many choices today. A couple of music legends are playing nearby (although the tickets weren't cheap), there's a country music festival a few miles further away, there's England playing in the cricket World Cup final, there's the Wimbledon tennis final on TV, and the local hurling side have just won a good victory over old rivals.

So what did I do? I attended a couple of events for the National Day of Commemoration which is an annual national event commemorating all Irishmen and Irishwomen who died in past wars or on service with the United Nations. I then went home to watch Lewis Hamilton win the British Grand Prix for a record-breaking sixth time. As you can see from the ceremony photos below, it's a beautiful day here, so I'm going back out to enjoy a bit more of the good weather.

CommemorationCastle.jpg

CommemorationMemorial.jpg

15 hours ago, HossC said:

... there's England playing in the cricket World Cup final ...

England hadn't been batting for long when I wrote the post above, but they ended up drawn on runs with New Zealand. That meant that the match went to a Super Over, which also ended in a draw, so England won by virtue of scoring more boundaries. England are now cricket World Cup champions!

20 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Hottest week of the summer is in our future the next 7 days. 

Yeah it will be a scorcher. On the local news this morning a rep from the one of the local power companies asked people to lower their electric usage between 2pm and 6pm and raise the thermostats to 78 if they have A/C till Monday so they don't have to do rolling brownouts to protect the grid. 

Finally got my car back from the shop yesterday. Found out the mechanic he hired a few months ago suffered a major heart attack last week, hope he pulls through and makes a good recovery. 

Ants sure are tenacious this year, spent Monday night and Tuesday morning spraying and cleaning again, this is like the 3rd or 4th time this year. Just wish the lazy-bleep manager would just hire an exterminator to come out and deal with them. Going to stock up on some bug spray before winter comes.

Try to keep cool guys.

• 2 weeks later...

We've just had a bank holiday weekend over here (the UK has theirs at the end of the month), so yesterday I took myself a few miles down the road to see the Scarecrow Festival. This year was the 10th anniversary, but somehow I'd never heard of it before. When you get to the town, the scarecrows are everywhere. Here's a small selection:

Starting with the top-left and moving clockwise: This couple were on one of the approaches; Toy Story; recreation of the famous New York skyscraper construction photo (I assume); Friends (♫ "I'll bale hay for you"); The Beatles - Abbey Road; Finally, a little dry humor.

Scarecrows1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well things are starting to return to normal for us here. Turns out the ant infestation we had was Pharoah Ants. Tenacious little suckers, they are relentless until you get an exterminator. There is no spray you can buy at Walmart or Lowe's that will keep them out, trust me we've tried several with 0 luck. Finally complained to the manager enough that they hired an exterminator to come out on Jul 27th. Bad news is the exterminator said it's pretty likely the whole building is infested and the manager didn't want to set it up for the rest of the tenants in our building to be out so the exterminator could have sprayed and fogged the rest of the building. I told that to the manager what the exterminator said and they pretty much didn't give a  :censored: . So I'm going to take it upon myself to let every new tenant that moves into our building know that they probably have these little suckers crawling around in their walls. For what good it did the exterminator laid some poisoned bait around the building to try and draw them out and kill the nests but not 5 days later the worst lawn crew to ever have blew most of it away. I even told them twice not to use the leaf blowers where they see the bait piles but I just wasted my breath. Jack:censored: neighbor we've been having issues with thought we were moving out and got so giddy he had to tell one of the other neighbors of course we took the wind out of his sails when we cam home to clean and bring the cat stuff back in :lol:. We wished we could've moved out but since we blew over a grand in car repairs this year that's not gonna happen for another year.

Garden is doing good. Brought in 3 of the 4 carrots I planted and since it's still early enough in the season I planted some more carrots. The Swallowtail caterpillar that was on the carrots turned into a butterfly and flew away a few weeks ago. Bees finally pollinated the tomato's, got over 3 dozen waiting to grow and be picked. Got 4 big cucumbers off the plant so far. And got a couple of pumpkins on one vine. Was hoping we'd have more monarch butterfly's on the milkweed I planted at my dads house but it looks like carpenter ants are taking the eggs off the milkweed before they even hatch. Hope a few survive to become a butterfly.

Scarecrow Festival, that is a good idea, wonder if any place in Ohio does one...

On 8/15/2019 at 11:14 PM, RogerDuke said:

Hmmm, never heard of pharoah ants. I hope they never come around here. Our pumpkins aren't doing very good. The ones that have survived the woodchucks just aren't getting very big. Tomatoes are good though...especially the cherry tomatoes.

From what I've read about them they're everywhere east of the Rockies though they are really prevalent in areas with sandy soil. They are so small you only notice them when either they are crawling on you or you notice that the floor is moving. 

Some heavy thunderstorms dumped over 2 inches of rain and quarter size hail the other night which brings our local total rainfall for the year into the Top 5 on the record list, one local meteorologist thinks we'll set a new record this year. Counted 6 new small cucumbers on the plant before the rain but I can imagine they had a big growth spurt.

Edited by Spike

I've just completed my vintage weekend with a car show. I think they said there were between 800 and 1000 vehicles in the field. A few of them were really old:

VintageShow1.jpg

As far as I know, this is a Nova Sterling, based on a VW chassis. Cathy Bach appeared in a similar car in 'Cannonball Run II'.

VintageShow2.jpg

I think one of our new members will like this row of Morris Minors.

VintageShow3.jpg

I'll finish with the car which won best in show. The owner was actually looking for a new project car when then found a rear end in a junkyard, and turned it into a camper trailer.

VintageShow4.jpg

Other highlights included a row of Jenson Interceptors, an AC Cobra, a few American classics and a mint Lancia Delta Integrale (similar to the one reviewed by Doug DeMuro earlier this week).

You sure lead an exciting life Hoss....always going places and seeing cool stuff.....thanks for posting that Daisy was in Cannonball Run II. I had forgotten that. Every once in awhile the first one will pop up on my satellite tv but I don't think I've seen the second one since it was in the theaters. 

Those are some neat cars. You'd think with the Sterling they would have used a different windshield than one that looks like it came from a truck or van. The annual british car show we have here there's usually a few MGB's towing the back half MGB trailers. Haven't been to a car show yet this year, they've either got canceled due to weather or I've been catching up on work due to the weather. 

I spent the morning finding an oil cap for my dads car since he forgot to put it back on when he topped the oil off this morning. Surprisingly I had to call a few GM dealerships before I found one that had the cap in stock. I just hope he didn't do any major damage to the engine since he drove it till he got back home instead of pulling off somewhere :duh:  knowing something was wrong with it since it was acting like it was going to stall and smoke was coming from under the hood. Wife said we need to move to Alaska or Hawaii that way our parents can't keep bugging us with every little thing :lol: . Don't get me wrong we love them but :censored: every time something goes wrong with a car or this or that we're always the ones to drop our plans and come to the rescue. 

Tallest sunflower finally bloomed, dang thing is 12 feet tall, think I'm going to need to borrow a ladder to get the head off when the seeds are ready. 

37 minutes ago, Spike said:

I spent the morning finding an oil cap for my dads car since he forgot to put it back on when he topped the oil off this morning.

I did that once with my last car. I drove about 30 miles without anything noticeably wrong, but then smoke came from under the hood when I reached my destination. Luckily, the cap was still where I'd lodged it while I topped up, but I'm not sure the engine was ever quite the same afterwards.

That's an impressive sunflower. When I was about 10 we got sponsored to grow sunflowers to raise money for charity through my school. I remember my 10-year-old self thinking they were pretty big, but in reality they were probably no more than 8 feet tall.