The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

32 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

Hang in there Spike. Whenever something bad happens that means you're due for something good. 

I hope you're right. I hit another deer and my insurance dropped me! As far as bad luck, Spike, let me tell you, I have 2 cars in case one breaks down. Once BOTH broke down at the same time!   ;(

Deer around here have become overpopulated because nobody hunts anymore and the Game Commission is too stubborn to do what they do in other states and sell more doe permits to the folks who still do. That means that more people are hitting them with their vehicles. I think the only deer I ever remember seeing on Dukes was the big buck that Jesse bumped into in the swamp. 

Here's my weekend in a nutshell... Wife's car ended up getting a nail in at least one of the tires, possibly two tires as I heard 2 pops, while we were on our way to one of the local business's birthday freebies Saturday and the toilet tank cracked so came home to a wet bathroom floor. I guess silver lining is we don't have to pay for a new toilet and while I waited at home all day yesterday for the maintenance guy to show up I went through some stuff and ended up finding a Jeff Foxworthy dvd I bought at a garage sale a few months ago. Maintenance guy put in a rush order for the new toilet and bandaged ours and put a bucket underneath it, just hope it doesn't take months to get here like everything else has so far that needed replaced here. Good thing wife hasn't put out a swear jar otherwise I'd be broker than Uncle Jesse after paying the mortgage to Boss Hogg :lol: , I think i went through every known curse word this weekend, at least the english ones lol. At least the Jeff Foxworthy dvd put us in a better mood last night.

I seen a big doe last week when I was out for a walk. One of my wife's coworkers hit one a few weeks ago, funny thing is she had enough time to stop but her excuse was 'i thought it'd get out of the way' her husband wasn't too happy with her. If you do hunt and eat the deer meat be careful as there is a nasty parasite that is infecting the deer that can get passed to people and other animals. I forget what it is as I only heard about it on the local news back when it was deer season, they said to make sure to only eat well done venison and don't throw raw meat to your dogs. 

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Spike. If you end up putting up an outhouse make sure the arrows aren't the dynamite ones. And I wouldn't leave my car magazines in there just in case. I wonder if you are talking about chronic wasting disease. Southern Pennsylvania has had some cases but I haven't yet heard of any up here by Lake Erie. Deer are overpopulated enough. If hunters stop hunting because they are worried about the safety of the meat, deer will become even more overpopulated. 

Yeah that might be it Roger, It'll only take a matter of time till the whole USA population of deer gets the disease, I just hope it won't be as devastating as the white nose fungus affecting Bats. 

People think I'm nuts when I say that my birthday is cursed :lol:  then I tell them a few of the weird things that have happened to me on or around my birthdays over the years. Then they usually ask me either how many mirrors I broke or who put a hex on me haha. I've noticed a pattern though I seem to only have bad luck on even birthdays, odd numbered ones are usually pretty good.

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

People think I'm nuts when I say that my birthday is cursed :lol:  

My dad's birthday is April 14 and mine is April 15. The Titanic struck the iceberg on April 14 and sank on April 15. Abe Lincoln was shot on April 14 and died on April 15. The Notre Dame fire was on my birthday this year and April 15 is the day taxes are due in the US. 

I didn't want to post earlier in case I jinxed the weather, but I've just got back from a barbecue. In the end, the weather was mainly good, although there were a few showers. Of course, we now have a beautiful sunny evening.

The barbecue was billed as a Festival of Cultures, with people from various different local communities coming together for a family fun day. It was good catching up with several people I know through my old job, and people from other places that I haven't seen for a while. There was even a current and ex-local councillor there. I think they ended up with some food left over, even though I did my best to eat the chicken, sausages, corn, pasta, salad etc. I'm sure it went to a good home!

It's only just over a week since my last barbecue, and I think the area where I live are planning one for later in the summer.

On 6/30/2019 at 4:37 PM, RogerDuke said:

I'm glad you had fun Hoss. I just got back from a kayak trip. It was a lake that I've driven by several times but had never been on before. Fun stuff!

Sounds like you're feeling better, Rog. Glad to see that.

I had a little setback what with going hyperthyroid from overmedication, but my doc adjusted my dosage and I'm doing better. Not looking forward to going back to work next week! LOL.

I'm glad to hear you got that adjustment made MM. I'm learning a lot about Lyme but one thing's for sure...the medical community has a lot to learn too. There are a lot of disagreements amongst the experts.

Does anybody have any exciting weekend plans? Have you folks from across the big pond been following the World Cup? 

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

Have you folks from across the big pond been following the World Cup? 

I assume you mean the Women's World Cup in soccer (and not the current Cricket World Cup where England are through to the semi-finals ;)). The USA continue to have a strong team, and beat England's Lionesses the other night. Now the USA are up against Roth and Lemmamoon's Netherlands in Sunday's final. England play Sweden tomorrow night in the play-off for third place.

Is soccer finally becoming popular in the US? I'm sure the success of the women's team has helped to raise its profile.

•  
3 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Have you folks from across the big pond been following the World Cup? 

Is soccer finally becoming popular in the US? I'm sure the success of the women's team has helped to raise its profile.

Yes it is. We have a pro soccer team in Nashville. ( I live right outside there.)

On 7/5/2019 at 2:35 PM, HossC said:

Roth and Lemmamoon's Netherlands in Sunday's final. 

That's pretty cool that we have two active members from the Netherlands when they are in the Final. Soccer is very popular with American kids who play but still has a long ways to go if it wants to challenge American football, baseball, basketball or even hockey on a professional level in popularity.

Well, congratulations to the USA for their win. England only managed fourth.

Roger, I can see why soccer would be popular with American kids. The only equipment you need to play is a ball. Then you can go to the park and use the proverbial jumpers (sweaters) for goalposts, and you have a game. It may last 20 minutes, or I've seen them go on all afternoon with people coming and going. There may also be the attraction of playing an truly international sport. The four that you mentioned are still predominately played in North America (although MLB played their first competitive fixture in Europe just over a week ago with a game in London). The USA women's soccer team can now say that they're the best in the world (again).

On 7/5/2019 at 1:35 PM, Hobie Harkins said:

I hope you're doing better Muffin! We were really pulling for you! ( You're our favorite supreme commander! ;)   )

Thanks. My thyroid issues seem to resolving, but now I seem to have some sort of virus. Oof. It'll be nice to be completely healthy again.

Enjoy every day you get on this big blue & green marble, you never know how long or short of time you will get to enjoy it. Two of our acquaintances passed away last week. One of our nice senior neighbors finally succumbed to cancer after a long battle, on a side note be sure to have your pets in your will or be sure to have a friend or relative ready to take care of them so they will at least be taken care of instead of being sent off to the pound which unfortunately his dog was sent too. We also lost someone that was more than an acquaintance but we weren't best of friends but dang does it hurt to know that such a young lady so full of life is gone before she even gets to live a half of it. She just got married last year and got a job she loved to do which was being a nurse and taking care of other people. We met her at her previous job at a local video store and when she mentioned about her wedding my wife went out that day and got her a couple of wedding gifts and they were friends since then. Hug your loved ones every chance you get. 

To end this post on a good note we have a few butterfly caterpillars on our plants, found a swallowtail caterpillar on our carrots and several monarch caterpillars on the milkweed I planted at my other garden at my dads.