The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:23 PM, RogerDuke said:

And Arnold was called Dutch in the movie Predator.

When I was a kid the bigger boys would grab the smaller ones and put them in a headlock and rub the top of their heads with their fists. It was often playful but it hurt when they pressed hard with their knuckles. They called it a dutch rub. I don't know where the name came from. 

We always called it a " Noogie" . " Keep on and I'm gonna give you a Noogie! "

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:13 PM, RogerDuke said:

I just mowed my grass today for the first time this year. Well, not all of it. This time of year certain parts don't grow as fast. I hope I can get another year out of my mower. 

Wow! Must be nice! We've been mowing our grass here in middle Tn. for a long time now! ( Heat, humidity etc......you know.....!)

I'd love to come down sometime but I don't know about the pretty girl part. My wife might let me ride on the back of Miz Tisdale's dirt bike but that might be the best I'll be able to do....that is if Miz Emma will allow it. I suspect it might be against postal regulations. Plus Uncle Jesse might get jealous. He acts like he doesn't like her but I know he does. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been so long since we brought a new cat in that I forgot how hard it was to get them to get along. Since nobody claimed her we finally brought her home Sunday. We thought our old Male cat was going to be the problem but it turns out 'Prissy'; what I call her since we found out that her name was Priscilla, is gonna be the hater. Hisses and growls at him every chance she gets lol, he just looks at her like whatever and goes back to napping. Hopefully she'll calm down after a few weeks otherwise we might have to re-home her to someone that just wants 1 cat. 

With all the migrating birds I've seen a few different ones at the local parks the last week, got a few pics of an odd woodpecker, red breasted grosbeak and a bird that looked like a sparrow but with markings I've never seen before, also seen an oriole and a few other birds that were quicker than I was to press the shutter button on the camera lol. If you live in an area, especially around the Great Lakes where the bird migrations are happening get out there with a pair of binoculars and enjoy the view.

My daughter is a cat person and I often hear stories about their personalities and how complex they can be when interacting with each other, especially when a new one comes in the family....high drama! Do you see many of those big woodpeckers?....pileated...if I'm spelling it right. 

5 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

My daughter is a cat person and I often hear stories about their personalities and how complex they can be when interacting with each other, especially when a new one comes in the family....high drama! Do you see many of those big woodpeckers?....pileated...if I'm spelling it right. 

We get pileated woodpeckers in our backyard fairly often. We can hear when they land on the suet feeder. CLANG! LOL. We also get downy woodpeckers, hairy woodpeckers, and lots and lots of flickers. I often get woken up to flickers drumming on our siding, which is fiber-cement for that very reason....

pileated.jpg

I see maybe one or two pileated woodpeckers a month so they're not as common around here. They weren't very common when I was a kid either. They fly like they are drunk. I wonder if they hang out at Hobie's house. I bet he's slipping a little of his finest in their water feeder.

My dad has one of those pileated woodpeckers living in a maple tree in his front yard, I think it's pretty neat but one of his neighbors doesn't think so because it put a bunch of holes in one of his sheds :lol: .

Yesterday while walking a path at a local park the wife and I came across a dead Prothonotary or Yellow warbler, looks like a hawk or other predator bird got to it. 

One of the cars is back in the shop, mechanic is chasing a gremlin, same code keeps popping up and he's done almost everything to try and fix it. Car runs fine so can't figure out why the code keeps popping up. 

That's funny Hoss :lol: . I've always wanted a Gremlin but all the nice ones around here are too expensive and the ones that are cheap don't have enough metal to make them roadworthy. A guy in the neighborhood I grew up in had one with a v8, not sure if it was an amc v8 or another brand but it sounded like a beast when he'd drive by. He also had a Pacer with a stock inline 6.

Finally got some pic of the Orioles yesterday at the park's bird feeders. 

Wife an I went garage saleing over the weekend at a nearby neighborhood sales. Scored a 2tb external backup drive for $15, couple of books, some clamps and a couple of tv season dvds and mint never opened till I did Richard and Kyle Petty metal embossed card sets. Was hoping to find a router and maybe a decent table saw but only found not very well cared for and worn out ones and the people selling them thought they were worth their weight in gold lol :roll: . The router had rust on it like it was sitting outside for a while, you'd think they would have at least cleaned the cobwebs out of them as well since they had them priced so high. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wednesday evening I was watching TV and out of the clear blue sky started to get the chills. No matter what I did I couldn't warm up.....and then at times I'm hot and sweating. Thursday morning I noticed a big red patch near my left armpit. I never got better, going from chills to sweating all day so Friday went to the doctor. It looks like an infected spider bite (it' s not a tick bite) so now I'm on antibiotics but still havent made any improvements. I can't stay awake for more than a couple hours. Hopefully the antibiotics will start working their magic soon. It's a small problem compared to what MM is going through but it has been a really rough 3 days. 

14 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Wednesday evening I was watching TV and out of the clear blue sky started to get the chills. No matter what I did I couldn't warm up.....and then at times I'm hot and sweating. Thursday morning I noticed a big red patch near my left armpit. I never got better, going from chills to sweating all day so Friday went to the doctor. It looks like an infected spider bite (it' s not a tick bite) so now I'm on antibiotics but still havent made any improvements. I can't stay awake for more than a couple hours. Hopefully the antibiotics will start working their magic soon. It's a small problem compared to what MM is going through but it has been a really rough 3 days. 

I had a co-worker who had a spider bite. It got really bad, really quick. If it doesn't improve in 24 hours, you need to see another doctor. They put her on prednisone and other drugs. It progressed to a nerve disease and the only thing that cured her was electroaccupuncture. Not saying that'll happen to you, but you really need to push for treatment on this if you don't improve!

My chills and hot flashes improved today but the rash has gotten much bigger. I'll probably go back tomorrow since I also have a lot of soreness in my neck and both shoulders. I'm on Cephalexin. I'm starting to understand why humans have evolved to have a fear of spiders. 

Why would I do that, Roger?

What I will do is relate a story from a comedy gig I was at last night. Australian comedian Adam Hills was pointing out odd things that the Irish say (i.e. things that sound odd to people from elsewhere). One of these was the use of the word "deadly" to mean good, as in "I went out for a meal last night - it was deadly". Adam said that this causes problems when the Irish visit Australia and get told, "See that spider over there? It's deadly."

LOL...we've had something similar over here. Years ago, the word "bad" was used to mean something good thanks to folks like Michael Jackson and Mr T. Now the younger generation uses "sick" and "ridiculous" to describe something that is good. It can be hard to for an old redneck to keep up with. So I guess this means that I should hope that the spider that bit me was deadly, sick, ridiculous and bad. If it was then I should be fine. (fine meaning fine....not the opposite of fine)