The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

38 minutes ago, Roth Potter said:

That is not something everyone has standard in their car? :crazy:

I even thought that comes standard with all cars now, especially since most company's when you get a new car have a courtesy package which includes them.

I don't think it's unusual to carry jump leads here, but it's a long way from standard. Each country has its own rules and practices. Many European countries require drivers to carry a warning triangle in their car, but in the UK and Ireland they're only recommended (along with a first-aid kit, fire extinguisher and spare bulb kit). The spare bulb set is a little dubious as many bulbs are difficult to change by the roadside nowadays. I had to remove my rear light cluster recently to replace a brake light, and my brother's old car needed several bits of trim removed to access the headlights (all with breakable clips!).

Of course, the most well-known European car accessory of the moment must be the yellow hi-vis vests which are mandatory in France. They have been used by the gilet jaune protest movement since the end of last year in a bid to get a better deal for motorists on various issues (the protesters have also destroyed about 2/3 of the speed cameras in France).

Jumper cables are not standard in any car here however it is a dealer sold option. Definitely will be picking up a set this weekend though. Did the taxes the other night and out of our refund we will now just have $50 leftover after repairs for both cars. Knock on wood hope these are the last car repairs for the rest of the year besides oil changes. 

We officially got down to -11 Fahrenheit with windchills near -50 although @ two local news channels their equipment readings were -15 for the low temp. One channel did a month long temperature prediction for February and said we could possibly have another polar vortex near the end of the month.

Dang Mother Nature can't make her mind up, high 30's yesterday, high 50's forecasted(possible new record high) for this evening and 20 degrees for tomorrow. 

Got the new battery put in Tuesday, let the mechanic handle that since the wife's car is like the Enterprise D from Star Trek Next Generation. Then went to the store to buy new wiper blades only to find out only one brand would fit without spending half an hour fiddling with an adapter, thank you gm engineers for making even the easiest things to change a pain in the butt chore. Of course only one auto store in town carried them besides the dealerships and they were about the same price as the dealership minus the installation charge. 

2 hours ago, Meadowmufn said:

We got 6" of snow last night. More is expected tomorrow and 8-12" of snow predicted for Tuesday. We've never gotten this much snow ever. We're not going anywhere for a while...

Do what your friendly neighborhood drunk/car salesman would do...snuggle up inside with a blanket and binge watch TDOH!!!   ( I'm not a real drunk I just play one on TV! :)  )

On 2/9/2019 at 6:20 PM, Meadowmufn said:

We got 6" of snow last night. More is expected tomorrow and 8-12" of snow predicted for Tuesday. We've never gotten this much snow ever. We're not going anywhere for a while...

On 2/9/2019 at 6:20 PM, Meadowmufn said:

I saw that on the national news. As long as you've got your DOH videos and your electric is still on you'll be fine. Keep us updated .

• 2 weeks later...

Had an interesting weekend... Had to deal with an ant invasion Saturday. Guessing the neighbors in the apartment behind us had the same problem Friday as we heard a lot of noise from them that night. Had to take all the pots and pans out from the kitchen cabinet below our countertop and sprayed some organic ant repellent along the back of the cabinet and around the pipes as that was how they were getting in. Spent Sunday morning cleaning all the pots and pans to put back in the cabinet. Had 60+mph winds Sunday so that made watching tv fun as we've cut the cable cord and use an antenna. Only 1 channel came in clear and unfortunately it wasn't fox so watching the race was interesting 5 seconds at a time :lol: as could only get about 5 seconds of continuous video before it would turn pixelated for a few seconds then back and forth etc... At least our power never went out and there wasn't any tree damage here this time.

• 2 weeks later...

An amateur-ish pipe bomb was found at one of the local parks last weekend :o luckily the bomb squad was able to defuse it. It's one of the last things you'd think about looking for around here, kind of scary. Hope no others are found and I hope they catch the person who left it there. 

8 hours ago, Spike said:

An amateur-ish pipe bomb was found at one of the local parks last weekend :o luckily the bomb squad was able to defuse it. It's one of the last things you'd think about looking for around here, kind of scary. Hope no others are found and I hope they catch the person who left it there. 

That's serious stuff. I'm glad no harm was done. Hopefully they'll catch the person before anything worse happens. Let us know if there are any new developments. Nothing new around here except way below average temperatures for early March. Lake Erie may be awhile before it thaws out. 

I tell ya it doesn't pay to have nice vehicles. Last weekend my car was hit in a parking lot and this weekend the wife's. Of course there were no notes :angry:. At least the damage should be able to be buffed out on both cars although it sounds like something is broke behind the bumper on my car. 

36 minutes ago, Spike said:

I tell ya it doesn't pay to have nice vehicles. Last weekend my car was hit in a parking lot and this weekend the wife's. Of course there were no notes :angry:. At least the damage should be able to be buffed out on both cars although it sounds like something is broke behind the bumper on my car. 

Ouch....sorry to hear that. 

sorry to hear about that! Around here, I wouldn't have a nice car! It's too dangerous....takes people 2 spaces to park, stop lights and stop signs are optional ( if you don't want to stop...don't!), and " I " always have the right of way! They're still arguing about what that mirror ,hanging from the ceiling, over the dashboard is! I can't tell you how many times, people have pulled directly in front of me ! It does keep your reflexes sharp though! You learn not to assume anything! ( e.g. " They see me",  " They'll stop!")

Sometimes living in a suburb that allows certain farm animals has its days... Yesterday while going to check the mailbox I seen a black chicken or rooster chasing one of my neighbors into their car :lol: . By the time I got back to my place to get my camera it disappeared. We have these condos next to the apartment complex so I'm guessing it came from over there.   

I saw a flock of wild turkeys this evening back in the garden. It's been a long time since I've seen a whole flock.....all winter I think. I have seen tracks of a flock in the snow. Sunday we saw a bald eagle. That's not really rare anymore but the cool thing is that it was carrying something. Couldn't tell what it was, small red squirrel maybe. 

8 hours ago, Spike said:

Sometimes living in a suburb that allows certain farm animals has its days... Yesterday while going to check the mailbox I seen a black chicken or rooster chasing one of my neighbors into their car :lol: . By the time I got back to my place to get my camera it disappeared. We have these condos next to the apartment complex so I'm guessing it came from over there.   

Hey!...remember...it's gotta be PC! What you mean is African American chicken or rooster!  ;)

Edited by Hobie Harkins

8 deer replaced the turkeys this evening. It hit 70 degrees so I was sitting on the deck and saw them coming through the trees before walking into the garden so I froze perfectly still and they slowly walked toward me, grazing  along the way and eventually got real close to me and stayed there for about a half hour. When they're that close you have to move in super slow motion if you want to scratch your face. We're supposed to get snow this weekend so the March roller coaster rolls on. In fact, I hear thunder now. 

I'm sure everyone knows that today is St. Patrick's Day, so I went to see the local parade this afternoon. Last year, the parade clashed with an important Ireland rugby match, so numbers were down, but this year there was a good crowd until a rain shower about 10 minutes before the end. I thought Roger would like this tractor from near the back of the procession. As far as I can tell, it's from around 1950, and the company that made it is still in business in Boston (that's Boston, Lincolnshire, England - the place that Boston, Massachusetts is named after).

OldTractor.jpg

It also reminded me of the time that the Dukes painted the General green to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. ;)

GreenGeneral0223.jpg

OK, that wasn't the real reason (it was in 'Southern Comfurts' to save y'all searching), but the Dukes did visit Ireland in the animated episode 'Boss O'Hogg and the Little People'.