The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:16 AM, Meadowmufn said:

Some of my ancestors are from County Down too! We have some ancestors from County Donegal and there are family rumors about County Cork too, but so far no confirmation in my research.

That's awesome! Maybe some of your ancestors were friends of my ancestors!! THAT would be wild! I'm not sure how big County down was/is but I'm sure it wasn't that big, so....who knows??

I had plans to make some pull out shelves for the entertainment center to store our tv series dvd sets today since it was going to be 50 degrees but I felt the onset of a cold/flu so took some cold/flu medicine last night that knocked me out till 8am and even then I couldn't walk straight :lol: . Hope it's a short cold/flu. 

1 hour ago, Roth Potter said:

I thought Fahrenheit wasnt in degrees?

Celsius and Fahrenheit both used degrees - it's Kelvin where they're not used. For example, water freezes at 0°C, 32°F or 273K.

Luckily, 50 degrees Fahrenheit is easy to convert in your head - it's 10 degrees Celsius.

:previous:

I'm old enough to have learned both of the common scales, but have been using Celsius (or Centigrade as we were originally taught it) for many years now.

Some useful conversions are: 0°C is 32°F, 30°C is 86°F and 100°C is 212°F. If you go somewhere really cold it gets very easy because -40°C is -40°F. I'm sure you've got an app to do the conversion, but otherwise you'll need to subtract 32 and divide by 1.8 (subtracting 30 and dividing by 2 gives a good approximation at normal temperatures and is easier to calculate in your head).

I found a 2016 article which suggests that Fahrenheit is now only used by the United States (and associated territories), the Bahamas, Belize, the Cayman Islands and Palau.

Don't forget that your car will measure speed and distance in miles because the United States (and Myanmar and Liberia) are still using Imperial measurements. Of course your gas will still be measured in gallons, but US gallons are only about 3.8 liters instead of the 4.5 liters that used to be in everyone else's Imperial gallon (so the fuel consumption isn't as bad as you thought!). At least you'll only be paying about €0.60/liter, which is about 40% of the price in the Netherlands (even Ireland is cheaper!)

10 hours ago, Spike said:

I had plans to make some pull out shelves for the entertainment center to store our tv series dvd sets today since it was going to be 50 degrees but I felt the onset of a cold/flu so took some cold/flu medicine last night that knocked me out till 8am and even then I couldn't walk straight :lol: . Hope it's a short cold/flu. 

Are you sure you didn't get it mixed up with some of Hobie Harkins Finest?

Hope ya feel better!

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Lord I hope the 1st week of 2019 isn't an omen to how the rest of the year is going to go, if it is I'm going to take a long nap and set the alarm for Dec. 31st 11:59pm lol. 

If you get all the bad luck stuff out of the way in January you will have nothing but good luck the rest of 2019.

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

I hope so. Friday was a lousy day, car broke down, hope it won't cost a small fortune to get fixed. 

Can I ask what's wrong with it? I miss the old cars that you used to be able to work on yourself. Now it's all computers. I will admit though that they have some advantages.

On 1/7/2019 at 10:10 PM, RogerDuke said:

Can I ask what's wrong with it? I miss the old cars that you used to be able to work on yourself. Now it's all computers. I will admit though that they have some advantages.

Beats me. Ran fine going to the Store, ran like crap when I started it to head back home was idling below 500 and almost stalling at red lights. Sunday took it out again to see if it was doing the same thing and it ended up stalling out in the middle of the road, got it restarted and safely ran a red light to get it back home. It's in line at the mechanic waiting to be checked out at the moment. He thinks it might be the fuel pump because what I described is what my dad's previous car did a few years ago, though my dad's old car was 3 yrs older than mine but basically same make and model.

Briefly got out the spring jacket yesterday and enjoyed the mid 50's degree temps but winter came back with a fury today with just a high of 30 and windchills around 20 brrrr and Saturday is forecasted to have 2-4+ inches of snow, will be the area's first measurable snow since last April.

I might have wished a little too hard for snow... Heard on the local morning news on top of the 3 inches we're expecting Thursday night into Friday morning we might get up to 12 inches of snow Saturday.

Over the weekend scored some nice deals at the local Meijer, basically like a Walmart in the Michigan-Ohio-Indiana area, since they are going to remodel the store and need space to move the grocery section too they put half the clothing and shoe section on clearance and an additional 40% off the clearance prices. got a new pair of shoes for $18 orig. price was $60, new winter gloves for $5 and a plaid jacket with sherpa lining for $11. I hope they put the tool section on clearance next :banana:.

11 hours ago, Roth Potter said:

that either means 'I dont have to go outside so I wont get stuck' or 'Snow, nothing planned, lets have some fun!'.

Knowing you it is the latter. :D

You know me well. .never turn down an opportunity to have fun. This isn't fun though....our furnace broke down today....not good timing with this weekend storm arriving. I think it's just the igniter though. It's 20 years old and this is its first problem. I started a fire in the wood stove. It doesn't heat everything but it's in the basement so it will keep the pipes from freezing. I'm probably going to get a professional to fix the furnace. I wouldn't want the house to end up like the Dukes outhouse.