1:18 Scale General Lee

Phil

I'm planning on making a General Lee for a 1:18 Scale RC Car that I have....

Actually, I have a few of these Cars, and am planning to make something for each of them....more on that later, possibly....

Anyway....getting back to The General Lee....mine won't be 'Screen Accurate', by any means, but, I will at least *try* to make mine as accurate as my skills will allow

To that end, I have a question to start off with....probably more, as I go....

When I was looking through Google Images for Decals etc., I saw a number of results with a Race Flag as well....is this just a Marketing thing, or was this actually on The General Lee?

Here's an example of what I'm taking about here:

s-l300.jpg

And here:

69gldk-4.jpg

8 minutes ago, Meadowmufn said:

They were on the back of the General at the end of One Armed Bandits as Bo drove off with Jill Rae Dodson and the kid who was in the back seat "squirtin' flies" with soda.

So....was it just for that one time, or was it a regular thing?

Hey Phil....Welcome to Hazzard County. It sure is nice to meet a new friend and fan of the show. I think it is likely that those flags were only on the first episode but there is a distant bell ringing in my head telling myself that I saw it briefly on another one of the Georgia episodes....probably not though. I'm always looking for an excuse to watch an episode or two so thanks for giving me one. We hope you become a regular here on the HN Phil. I'll get back to you if I find it. 

On 11/18/2017 at 6:19 PM, HossC said:

:previous:

The crossed flags seem to be popular with people who build replica General Lees, maybe because of the affection in which they hold the Georgia episodes. Personally, I like them, but I wouldn't consider them essential.

Very well said Hoss. The General Lee is the most recognizable car in history so it doesn't really matter if you put them on or not. It's just a matter of personal taste. If you put them on and later regret it, it might be tough to take them off but if you don't put them on you could always do it later. 

3 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Very well said Hoss. The General Lee is the most recognizable car in history so it doesn't really matter if you put them on or not. It's just a matter of personal taste. If you put them on and later regret it, it might be tough to take them off but if you don't put them on you could always do it later. 

Fair enough then :-)

When I get around to making mine, I'll leave the crossed-flags off

You're right, Hobie. The kid is Jason Lively, and he returned to Hazzard as Rod Moffet in "The Boar's Nest Bears". Two years after that, he played Chevy Chase's son in "National Lampoon's European Vacation".

Technically, Ernie Lively is Jason's stepfather. He was also in "One Armed Bandits", as Dobro Doolan. The part you're referring to is Longstreet B. Davenport, who showed up for three episodes in the second season. His final appearance was as Clyde, the Guard in "The Ransom of Hazzard County". NB. Ernie's first four appearances were credited as "Ernie W. Brown".

Another question I have (for now, anyway....there's bound to be others as I go....), is about the Bull Bar....

I've seen photos with and without the Bull Bar, and, with the ones with, there appear to be different styles....is there a 'definitive' Bull Bar for The General Lee?

The General always had a nudge bar, but there were two different types. The one used in earlier shows was a stock item (I think it was designed for pickups) which was welded to the front bumper. In later shows, they moved to a wider custom nudge bar which was welded directly to the chassis. The second one was obviously much more practical, but many fans find the original narrow bar more aesthetically pleasing, even it it did fall off in some episodes. The screengrab below is from the beginning of "My Son, Bo Hogg".

NudgeBar3_0315.jpg

4 hours ago, HossC said:

I use an image host to post my pictures (although I can't recommend the one I use), so I don't know what limit you hit. Hopefully MeadowMufn will see your question.

The picture you posted shows the wide nudge bar. The earlier one was about a foot shorter.

You mean Photobucket?

I've seen too many issues with that for me to even be vaguely interested in using it :-/

I'll look around to see if I can find a decent, and free, option....otherwise, when I've finished my General Lee, I may well have to delete this Topic in order to allow me to post photos of my finished Car :-/

On 22-11-2017 at 9:53 AM, HossC said:

The one used in earlier shows was a stock item (I think it was designed for pickups) which was welded to the front bumper.

Are you sure it was welded? I think I read somewhere that they were bolted on. I don't have a picture of that but I have a picture of a replica which is yet to be put on the car where you can see how they would mount it.

24733972018_b895b1cacb_o.png

And I also use Flickr. All the pictures I have posted on here are hosted on that website. By now that is 1800+ pictures for free.

The replica nudge bars like the one you posted are bolt on items, but I believe the narrow ones in the show were welded. Take a look at www.lostgenerallee.com where they were trying to work out if they had a screen used General Lee (bolding by me):

As we recently annouced - the Smith Brothers of General Lee fame are in the middle of restoring the second "Lost General Lee" car found in a California movie car junkyard several years ago. While there is no confirmation on GL number or specific episode these cars were used in - this second car has some unique features that may make it more recognizable amongst the early (and small) fleet of General Lees used in the first couple of seasons.

For one, the car has evidence of a small pushbar welded to the front bumper. The use of small front pushbars dominated the first couple of seasons of "The Dukes of Hazzard" - so this would seem to relate this surviving car to the first couple of seasons.