Hazzard License Plates

Here's one that I only noticed from watching the HD version of the show. In the flashback scenes from 'Happy Birthday, General Lee', the black Charger already had the CNH 320 license plate when Bo and Luke bought the car from the Capitol City junkyard. In 'Big Daddy', Rosco mentions to Boss Hogg that it takes 30 days to get a new plate from the DMV. That means that the original version of the CNH 320 plate that you see here must have been a Capitol City plate. In the screencap, it seems to have two words in the city/county area that are slightly too narrow to be 'Hazzard County'. The prop master for the show in the later seasons was very good about maintaining continuity with props like license plates, (the early seasons were kind of a mess) so they very likely had a custom set of prop plates made just for this episode.

The-Dukes-of-Hazzard-1979-1985-Black-Cha

One of the plates that I got from the prop house that made the originals had a defect in the county label area. I removed the lettering from that section, sanded and repainted it, and replaced the missing text with a Capitol City label that I cut from red vinyl using the correct font/typeface. Coincidentally, the prop company uses the exact same type and color of paint for these plates that I have already been using for my replicas for several years! Their red details are also a perfect match for the red vinyl I use.

The-Dukes-of-Hazzard-1979-1985-Black-Cha

(Bonus detail: The guy who runs the Capitol City junkyard is Will Hare, who is probably best known as 'Old Man Peabody' in Back to the Future)

Edited by DB537

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, SATB said:

I'm looking for a Buford Tag from Smokey and the Bandit. Do you still make those?

Yes. They are $30 for one plate or $50/pair. Includes US Priority shipping, and I'll send a photo of the plates before payment. I can have some ready to go in a couple of days.

The graphics are all vinyl now. Too many issues with masking and painting them due to the humidity here. The plates will have a clear coat, so you can use them outside on a car.

If anyone needs a Knight Rider plate I also can make the KITT / KNIGHT plates. Graphics are copied from a surviving original prop.

They are also $30/each shipped in the US.

Knight-Rider-KITT-License-Plate-1.jpg

For the Dukes plates, I also have the yellow 1981 stickers and the white 1982 stickers if you need them.

They are weatherproof, fade resistant, and have a really good adhesive backing so they will stay on your plates.

They are non-reflective vinyl, and have a matte finish, like the original paper stickers.

They are 2/$6 for members of this page, which includes shipping by USPS First Class Mail in the US.

91408186_105280191129855_906313677136514

91498418_105277707796770_642891388139287

91342868_105279304463277_243963992490796

91296295_105277337796807_625434894285144

Edited by DB537

• 3 months later...

Links to photos of my new replica 1979-1982 registration decals for the red season 2-5 plates. I have them listed on eBay, username is drb1117.

The photos are a little grainy looking because of my old camera, but the actual print quality is very clean and clear.

These stickers are vinyl. I had them custom made by a sticker company from artwork based on the original props.

They are weatherproof, fade resistant, and have a very good adhesive backing so you can use them outside on your cars.

The 1981 sticker is available with the number 767806 and 726907. Both were used randomly on the original prop plates.

I also have the red 1978 stickers for the season one plates, but haven't got photos of those yet.

1979 License Plate Sticker

1980 License Plate Sticker

1981 License Plate Sticker

1982 License Plate Sticker

I'm working with a company that is making some custom steel cutting dies for the license plate lettering, so that I can make screen-accurate replica plates using the same materials as the original prop makers. I should have some updates on that soon. I received a set of dies recently, but they weren't exactly right, so they are being remade. But I was able to put together a test plate and the results look better than any other replica that I have ever seen.

I'll get the dies for the season 6-7 dark green General Lee & Daisy Jeep plates first. I already have the stickers for the 1983 & Hazzard County lettering for the green plates.

In a few weeks, I'll be receiving additional cutting dies for the '76', 'Hazzard County', 'GOVT', and border pinstriping for the red plates. Later this summer, I'll have the letter dies available for all of the other main character vehicles.

By the end of the year, I should have all the remaining letters and numbers available for any custom plates that you need with the screen-accurate font.

Here are some photos of a green season 6-7 style test plate that I made with the defective dies. I also added a few HD screenshots for reference.

The dies were mistakenly made backward, and they will not cut the edges of the letters from the correct side so that they lay flat on the plate as they should.

The '0' and 'H' dies were also scaled wrong and couldn't be used for the test plate. All of the issues are being corrected and they are sending me new dies soon.

Season 6-7 Replica Test Plate & HD Screenshots

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I never liked the cheap looking plain plastic plates that they used for the '97 reunion.

I made my own version to show what they may have looked like if they'd had more time and the money for some better props.

Alternate Concept for the 1997 Reunion License Plates

This is based on the 1990-1996 Georgia plates. I used a 1992 sticker because Bo and Luke had been away for a few years in the story.

Here's a link to photos of the Boss & Rosco plates I recently made.

Boss & Rosco Plates

I now have all of the steel dies needed to make the plate numbers for the main characters and many of the others also.

I have all of the numbers and most of the alphabet in that style except for a few of the less common letters.

• 1 year later...

New cutting dies for the red border pinstripe pieces have arrived. I have removed the old pieces that did not fit well on these Boss & Rosco plates, and have updated them with the new details. The curved corners are now a part of the cut, and no longer made with straight pieces that have to be bent/creased to fit. 

These are now almost perfect copies of the vintage original prop plates from the 1980s. The paint is a custom matched color that is not available in stores, and I have also been able to verify that the clear coat is the exact same type that was used by the prop makers for the show.

Photo of my updated Boss & Rosco Plates

I have set up a new Etsy shop where my Hazzard plates and other props will be available. My shop has screen-accurate replicas of the Rosco poster from One Armed Bandits, the full-size set of screen-accurate Hazzard County Sheriff car vinyl decals, and high-quality vinyl replicas of every license plate year registration sticker as seen in the show. I will be adding options for custom plates in the near future. I can currently make accurate Hazzard replica plates for any vehicle seen in the show. I have cutting dies for all numbers and every letter except for K, M, Q, V, X, and Z. (Those will be available later this year.) Original 1980s prop blanks are available, but they are hard to get, so they cost more due to their scarcity. I also have modern flat plate blanks with stamped borders, and a limited number of flat plastic blanks. For the red plates, I have dies for 'GOVT', Hazzard County, Chickasaw County, Capitol City, and Atlanta. I also have all of these options plus Savannah as printed clear vinyl decals for the later type green plates, and red HAZZARD decals for season 1 plates.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/HazzardCountyProps

Edited by DB537