Jesse's pickup in 1/24

Andrew D Charger Chaser

This is another one of my models completed the year before. Tough to find Ford pickups of the proper timeframe, and I found an old one on Ebay. In fact, it still had it's original purchase receipt in the box, dated 18 January 1975, almost four years to the day before the series started! So, all throughout my childhood watching the series every Friday night, this kit was sitting somewhere in someone's closet waiting for a 40-something year old me to purchase it and build decades later. I tend to think like that; if you don't, then y'all don't mind me.....

Major bodywork had to be done; the kit depicted a vehicle with lots of side trim whereas Jesse's had none. This had to be ground away with a roto-tool, then sanded and touched up. 

Here are photos depicting all I've just mentioned:

iC0UinB.jpg

ImmHwmj.jpg

BVfWqeW.jpg

Really the toughest modification/improvement was the grill/headlight assembly. The entire thing was thinned from behind, and then what should have been "open air" was cut away. Easiest to do this by drilling TONS of holes and then cutting and connecting the holes.

Side blinkers were also completely drilled out (above the headlights) and then clear resin poured into holes, sanded/polished and painted from behind. Headlights were re-cast in clear resin, although they didn't have to be perfectly clear, as I figured they'd have a good buildup of dust soon. These were not installed until almost the very end of the model's construction.

Once all that was done the frame was primed and finished in Alclad aluminum, then a watercolor wash applied to the recesses. To me a redone grill goes a LONG way in improving a model.

cZSWg6M.jpg

avAWYu9.jpg

tk0eHGk.jpg

Undersides were dry-brushed to bring out dirt and rust. My personal opinion is that 'way too many car builders only make showroom-perfect builds, including vehicles which should have some road wear. Hazzard vehicles DEFINITELY need road wear, and Jesse's mount is a supreme example of this. Plenty of dust must abound!!

Here are underside shots showing wear and tear and rust before the dust was sprayed.

J5ded0z.jpg

H17WOG9.jpg

OijzaDR.jpg

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! 

If I had to pick between two priceless works of art.....the Mona Lisa or this truck...it would be an easy decision. I wouldn't even give Mona a second look. What a great tribute to the show and to my hero Uncle Jesse. Thanks for building it and sharing the story. 

On 7/29/2017 at 4:43 PM, Boss JD Hogg said:

As a model builder I really love this build.

I'm a model builder too...or I used to be....and I always spent great detail on every single bolt head but I never had the artistic skill diisplayed here. When I retire in 3 years I hope to get back into it. Being a builder I can appreciate Andrew's masterpiece.

Edited by RogerDuke

2 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I'm a model builder too...or I used to be....and I always spent great detail on every single bolt head but I never had the artistic skill diisplayed here. When I retire in 3 years I hope to get back into it. Being a builder I can appreciate Andrew's masterpiece.

What type of models did you build?