A Return to Sanity

I've seen two things recently that have given me hope. An article about Ray Kohn's jump in Detroit mentioned that the flag wasn't a big issue since people like Dukes so much. I'm pretty bad with finding stuff on the web but I saw an article about how even the mayor had a picture taken with the General. (If someone can refind that and post the link here I'd appreciate it).

I also opened my Sunday newspaper and saw a section called Parade that has been around in Sunday's paper as long as I can remember. On the front was characters from the TV series Dallas comparing what those stars made to modern stars (adjusted for inflation). Inside was a picture of Bo and Luke with the hood up on the General and no mention of the flag controversy.

Politically correct winds change direction with time and I hope that is starting to happen. I'm not saying that society here in America will make any more TV shows with the flag on it....unless it is in a historical context....but I do think folks have woken up and realized there was nothing racial about the Dukes....or any other show or movie  that showed the flag. Simple logic shows this. If a person watches "Gone With the Wind" they are not watching something that is promoting the return of slavery or justifying it in any way. But sometimes logic doesn't always win out in tragedies like the one that happened in South Carolina. Taking the Dukes off the air and punishing innocent Dukes fans for the acts of a madman was wrong. I get it. Sometimes knee jerk reactions happen. That's human nature. It is my hope that the tide is turning and we will see a return of the reruns someday. It may not happen soon but as the healing continues and we head in the right direction it is possible. It's like old Waylon says "In Hazzard we tend to like happy endings."

Very well said Roger! 

Hogan's Heroes reruns still air.  The swastika is seen in most if not all the episodes.  It's not meant to promote hatred but is rather used in a historical context even though the show is a comedy.  BTW, I happen to like Hogan's Heroes.  Hopefully people will start seeing the Dukes Of Hazzard in the same way and not hold what some madman did against the show.  It's a great show and should be seen.  

I'm watching re-runs of Hogan's Heroes as I type this. Werner Klemperer, the son of a Jew who fled Nazi Germany in the 1930s, only agreed to play Col. Klink on the condition that his schemes didn't work and he ended up looking stupid. Of course, the swastika was an established symbol long before the Nazies appropriated it.

They could've had a Dukes episode dealing specifically with racism. There are a couple of episodes of M*A*S*H on the subject, one where the racist gets his comeuppance and one where the racist reconsiders his views. Having said that, looking back at the way equal rights was handled in 'Share and Share Alike', maybe I'm glad that Dukes didn't tackle the subject head on.

Comparing Hogan's Heroes with Dukes is something I hadn't heard before. It is a good comparison and makes a lot of sense. Many of the founding fathers in America owned slaves and nobody here is proposing that we rewrite history to boycott them and pretend they never existed. People are smart enough to consider the way the thought process of society at that time worked. After the South Carolina tragedy some people forgot that which caused the knee jerk reaction to happened. It looks like we are returning to sanity and society is once again learning that the Dukes of Hazzard is good. Things like this move slow but at least we appear to be heading back to the right direction. 

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:22 AM, HossC said:

I'm watching re-runs of Hogan's Heroes as I type this. Werner Klemperer, the son of a Jew who fled Nazi Germany in the 1930s, only agreed to play Col. Klink on the condition that his schemes didn't work and he ended up looking stupid. Of course, the swastika was an established symbol long before the Nazies appropriated it.

They could've had a Dukes episode dealing specifically with racism. There are a couple of episodes of M*A*S*H on the subject, one where the racist gets his comeuppance and one where the racist reconsiders his views. Having said that, looking back at the way equal rights was handled in 'Share and Share Alike', maybe I'm glad that Dukes didn't tackle the subject head on.

Anything that promotes white or southern culture is anathema to the people who REALLY control the mass media, the country etc. ( Same group of people). If you think they will ever give us an even break...you're wrong! I just heard a preacher talking about Kwanza and how blacks were saying that it was a holiday specifically for blacks and not whites or anyone else. You ever hear anybody on TV talking about how that's a racist holiday or anything like that? What if whites had a holiday like that? ....See the double minded hypocrisy? 

I get what you're saying but I'm fine with Kwanza. If anybody tried to take away Fourth of July because its offensive to British people or St Patrick's Day because it's offensive to folks who aren't Irish then I would be mad. People should be permitted to celebrate their culture as long as they don't take away somebody else's right to do the same. That's what was so outrageous about taking Dukes off the air. It took away the freedom of others to enjoy it.....especially innocent Dukes fans who did nothing wrong. I don't celebrate Kwanza because I don't want to. People who don't like the Dukes because of the flag should just not watch it if they don't want to. Taking freedom of choice away from the folks who wanted to see it was just plain wrong. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If people would just sit back and think and IF they have any common sense, they could see, that the flag, the war, etc. had NOTHING to do with slavery, racism etc. The war was about states rights vs. Federal government " Big Brother"! The people in the wrong won the war and as they say, the winner writes the history!