How do i ID if my charger is a real General lee??

Joe69charger

Hi all i'm new on this sight, I bought a 69 charger a few years ago and bought it up from down south. I just got it out of storage a little bit ago to do a frame off resto and found under all the layers of paint the first one over the stock collar is General lee orange.... my car also has what's left of a tan interior so it got me thinking i should see if i can find out if it was on the show or not before i build it.

Any one know if there was a list of vins for the cars used or not? my car is not bent so i don't think it was jumped but other than that i'm not sure.

Thanks all,

Joe

I was not able to figure out how to upload picks, it said something about them being too big.... i might be a younger guy but i'm a wrench turner not a computer guy.. lol

Roger, I thought you were our new expert on posting images ;).

Like Boss JD Hogg said, the best way is to sign up with an image host. Most offer free hosting of some kind. I use Photobucket, but they seem to be suffering for an increasing number of technical issues.

BTW. Welcome to HNet, Joe.

There is no list of which specific chargers were used. However all or almost all of the Chargers used on the show were bought second hand. At one point it is even said that they used helicopters to fly over places so they can spot Chargers and aks if the owner might consider selling it to them!

Most Chargers on the show were only repainted on the outside as they were jump cars and only used for one scene. They might've used some in the factory color but I highly doubt they bought them new. Remember the 1969 Charger was already a 10 year old car by the time Dukes of Hazzard actually aired.

ok thank you guys, i'll try to figure out how to get some pictures up later. Ok my car was originally copper and then right over that it was sprayed "single stage orange" no primer or clear coat and was not jambed, they also didn't take off the wheel well trim they sprayed over that too and there taping wasn't great cause there is a tap line and orange on the windshield trim and in other places. there is also over spray in the door jamb where some got threw between the quarter and door. so what i'm thinking is, who ever painted it probably didn't know how to prep the car or there plan was a really quick job. there is 2 more layers of paint over that, blue one and then a primer one, lol this car has been a few different collars so far in it's life.

I remember I was in a school bus garage in Fredonia New York when the Dukes were still being filmed in the mid eighties  and a school bus mechanic was telling me that the makers of the show advertised for wanting to buy Chargers in most newspapers across the country. When I doubted him he pulled out the local paper and showed me. Of course that didn't prove they advertised everywhere else but it sure made a dramatic point. He owned a late 60s Charger and wasn't happy that he was having trouble finding parts because of the show....he was a Dukes fan though!