HazzardNet Wiki

Meadowmufn

There are a few options for the wiki a few of us have discussed, so I thought I'd put them out there so those interested can talk about it and help make the decision.

1. I can install and customize MediaWiki (what Wikipedia runs on). I may be able to put together a single sign on so folks wouldn't need a separate login from their forums login. This would be the most difficult option to put together and I may not be able to get it to look exactly like the rest of the site.

2. I can set up wiki like pages in the forums. Folks would be able to use their forum login, since it would be a part of the forum. I wouldn't have to customize much at all since it would use the same forum templates. This is the easiest option, but the downside is that the wiki would be a part of the forums and not in a separate wiki directory. I can put together some samples.

3. I can install different wiki software like DocuWiki. I'm willing to try others if anyone has suggestions.

4. I can set up another WordPress install with a wiki template/plugins.

What do you guys think?

My vote is for the MediaWiki option. I think that making the wiki a separate resource would work better (hazzardnet.com/wiki or similar). If you can't make the single sign-on work, we can always use the same username and password that we have on the forum.

Personally, I'm not that bothered if it looks like the rest of the site - most wiki-style sites I read just look like Wikipedia, but HazzardNet customizations are very welcome.

It would probably be best to initially restrict editing access to Veterans, at least until the templates and main pages are in place. After that, it could be opened up.

We'll have to discuss the rough form of the pages when the great opening gets nearer. For the episode pages, I'd suggest: Brief plot (a couple of lines), Detailed plot (a couple of paragraphs), Cast/Crew, Trivia, Goofs, Quotes and Locations. Did I miss anything? We can have a page for each actor and character that requires one, and pages for important places like the Boar's Nest, Duke Farm etc.

Normally it doesn't bother me that I'm not a fan of technology and know little about it (In fact, I still don't even own a cell phone) but when I'm not able to contribute with input that might help in a situation like this I suppose I'm a little disappointed in myself. Oh well, at least I know the decisions are in good hands here. 

Thanks for the input guys. I am kind of leaning toward the MediaWiki option, though I've been playing around with some of the features of InvisionBoard and I'm tempted to just move everything, including the blog, into the forum software and moving the forum to the root of the site. I think what I will do is get things to a point where I can let you guys play around with both and give me more input on which you prefer after actually getting to use the functionality.

I am planning to keep editing just for veterans for now. Besides, I think the only folks who come 'round here anymore are veterans. ;) And I appreciate you guys keeping this place alive. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late, my PC had kind of died and I had to build myself a fully new one but I'm back.

I'll keep it mostly short. Fully agree with was Hoss said. And besides, If you have a full blown wiki it might pull some people back to the site.

However, how would you do pictures? Hosting them on HazzardNet itself would get quite expensive I guess? I'm not saying the plots should have a lot of pictures but if you make an acticle on for example the hazzard postoffice a picture of the office would be nice.

2 hours ago, Roth Potter said:

I'm a bit late, my PC had kind of died and I had to build myself a fully new one but I'm back.

I can sympathize with that. The screen on my laptop is currently being held together with a couple of clamps - otherwise it goes a bright yellowish-green color!

Regarding the images on the Wiki, I'd like to have the title screen and a couple of others for each episode. Pages for characters/actors and locations like the Post Office should also have pictures, but they don't need a huge number (20 or 30 of Daisy should be enough ;)). Most Wiki images appear on their pages as thumbnails with a link to the full size version. Maybe this reduces the bandwidth if most people are happy with the thumbnail.