HazzardNet 2017

RogerDuke

I wish I could come up with new ideas to make HazzardNet more popular again but I'm tapped out. It makes me sad to log in. It's like seeing a relative die. Am I correct in assuming there's nothing that can be done? I wonder how long it can last. This may be our last chance to brainstorm and come up with a 2017 plan to revitalize this place. I wonder if it can survive 2017. For those of you who remain do you have any ideas left? Anything at all? Seeing this once great place being reduced to a word association thread is just too much to bear. What ever happened to the plan to integrate HN with Facebook? Maybe I just didn't understand how it was supposed to work since I'm low tech.

Maybe we should just start saying our goodbyes. I cant imagine this site will even be maintained if hardly anybody is using it. This is painful. I guess I'm guilty too for not logging in as often but every time I do it hurts too much.

I'll post on the FB page and see if anyone wants to sign up and liven this place up a little. I've been super busy at work and have been neglecting most of my websites (and I have quite a few). :( I'm trying to put together a plan to add more content on a regular basis on all my sites. If you guys have ideas, I'm all ears. 

Meadowmufn, now you mention it. I was watching a few Episodes of Knight Rider a few days ago and from one thing comes the next.

I came on a website where they have a page for every episode with trivia, filming locations with adresses and google map, episode scripts, mistakes and episode promotional stuff. I know nothing about creating websites but would something like that be possible? For one it'd be easier to learn stuff about certain episodes as well as removing the things we have now like 'I remember someone ones said this and that but I can't remember the episode' etc.

I think I know the Knight Rider site that you mean, Roth. I worked my way through it while I was watching my box set.

The filming locations have been fairly well covered by myself and others. There are episode guides to the first two seasons on the home page - I updated the first season and drafted the second, although that was a couple of years ago now. I even did the screengrabs for most of season 3, but haven't written much text to go with them yet. Maybe that's a project for the new year! These already include summaries and trivia, but I see no reason why they couldn't be expanded to include mistakes (we've already got seven pages of them here) and quotes (already scattered through the cast/characters section of the forum). They could also list the cast and crew. An alternative would be to start a new forum thread for episodes guides split into sub-threads for each season.

Another way to go would be a Wiki-style extension to HNet. There's one for "CHiPs" (chips-tv.com/wiki), to which I've added many pages, summaries, cast/crew lists, quotes, trivia, screengrabs and locations. The advantage to this is that each episode can have a page with all the information you wanted, and each page can be edited and added to by anyone with a basic knowledge of the Wiki mark-up language. You can also add linked pages for characters, actors, places (e.g. the Duke Farm, the Boar's Nest etc.) and so on. It would almost certainly be to most work for Meadowmufn to set up, but ultimately give the best end result when we've all contributed (IMHO).

Funny you should mention that... I have tinkered around with MediaWiki (what Wikipedia runs on) on the site and may still have it installed in a directory somewhere. If not, I can always reinstall. If you guys are interested in adding some content to the site and sprucing it up a bit, I'll look into getting a wiki ready and 1) seeing if I can tie it into your current logins or 2) if not, getting some sort of secure login so we can make sure the wiki isn't spammed. Perhaps we should move over all the content about the episodes, trivia, etc, from the WordPress install to the wiki and just keep the blog at the root of the site for updates and current events.

Let me know what you guys think.

23 hours ago, Meadowmufn said:

It's alright to complain, Rog. All the PC stuff kind of took the winds out of our sails, unfairly characterizing the show because of a flag. I hope some day the show will be back on the air, but for now, at least we have the dvds and fond memories.

The movie has been on Dish Network at least a couple times the last two weeks. I'm not a fan of it but at least it's a start. I think the channel was IFC or something like that. Politically correct pendulums swing. We may yet get it back. 

9 hours ago, Meadowmufn said:

Funny you should mention that... I have tinkered around with MediaWiki (what Wikipedia runs on) on the site and may still have it installed in a directory somewhere. If not, I can always reinstall. If you guys are interested in adding some content to the site and sprucing it up a bit, I'll look into getting a wiki ready and 1) seeing if I can tie it into your current logins or 2) if not, getting some sort of secure login so we can make sure the wiki isn't spammed. Perhaps we should move over all the content about the episodes, trivia, etc, from the WordPress install to the wiki and just keep the blog at the root of the site for updates and current events.

Let me know what you guys think.

If there's any way a low tech guy can help let me know. 

50 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

If there's any way a low tech guy can help let me know. 

Sure. I have to figure out a few things first like integrating the login with the forum (if possible) and styling it to look like the rest of the site, but once that's done, I'll open it up for folks to play around. I think I already figured out how to restrict editorial permissions using the mediawiki login system so it doesn't get spammed, so that's a good first step. I'll look for some tutorials online to get low tech folks like Rog up to speed. It's really very much like posting to the forum, but there is some unique markup that mediawiki uses you might need to read up on.