Am I The Only One?

My idea of the perfect place to live and the closest thing to heaven on earth, would be to live in Hazzard. Small, slow, simple, everybody knows everybody, laid back society, etc. etc. I usually watch it when I'm going to bed at night and fall asleep to it. It's very relaxing to see that, after living life all day. I go through the whole series, in order and it takes me better than a year, because I watch the same ones over and over, before I change the DVD. This is one of the few shows I like so much, that I never get tired of seeing it. I haven't seen the latter parts of the episodes in a long time, because I always fall asleep...lol !  If I could stay awake to see them, they would probably be like new episodes to me! :)  Does anyone else do this?

That's right! When I go to my recliner and tell my wife, " I'm going to the Land", she knows what I mean! I'm going to the place I want to live in forever. Hazzard County! Everybody there is who I want there and I can trust everybody there, etc. etc.

As far as Hooterville...it's funny on Green Acres etc. but I'd hate to live there in real life, because the place I live in, is just like Hooterville in real life and it's a living hell! People are dumb as a rock! People are nosey, and can't drive worth a d%^&N!! When you drive in this city ( Sparta Tennessee) you take your life into your own hands! You better hope your reflexes are fast! There's no such thing as stop signs and traffic lights, well there is, but they're optional. If you want to stop, you can but if you don't....don't bother!  Nobody in this town knows what a rear view mirror is for! They will pull right over in front of you!

Yeah Tennessee is fun to drive thru :lol::-o Visited family in Knoxville a few times. I don't have the patience to drive there so I usually let the wife or my dad drive in Tennessee. Though I got to say Ohio drivers aren't much better. Our last trip back up from Tenn. we almost got into an accident as soon as we crossed the Ohio state line with some crazy lady doing 45mph on I-75 and decided she needed to get over 3 lanes, she just put her signal on and started moving over without even looking even though traffic was moving 55-60mph. Thank god the semi behind us had great brakes otherwise we would have been roadkill. To top it off the lady had the audacity to flip us the bird for honking at her, when my wife seen that she stuck her head out the window and went off on her stupid (bleep) when we passed her. 

Oh yea, that reminds me....In this town they don't believe in using blinkers! I always say, if you want to starve to death, open a  blinker shop here, you'll never sell even ONE! why would you buy something you never use. I see somebody using their blinker and say to myself, I bet they're not from here....and when I get closer to see their plate......sure enough! They're form another county or another state! 

Traffic in Tennessee??  Try coming to Orlando!  People from all over the world in rental cars trying to figure out where Disneyworld or the malls are.  And when it rains, they and the locals seem to forget how to drive!

Back to Hobie's original question: No, you are not the only one.  Its great that other folks see Hazzard the same way I do.  Beyond the silly antics of Boss, Roscoe, and Cletus and the impossible feats of the General Lee, you really do get a feel for this show's location.  Despite the best efforts of Hollywood to make a caricature of life in the rural South, there is something genuine and attractive that comes through.  I credit the original spirit in which the show was created plus the ongoing efforts of the cast to infuse the show's characters with some integrity.  Its easy to point out the repetitive nature of the scripts, especially as the show reached 5,6, and 7 seasons.  But to me, every time I tune in is like visiting old friends- you would never complain about doing the same old thing with good friends.

-Scooter

• 11 months later...

I've lived in the same area my whole life and would never consider moving. In fact, I live less than a mile from my parents who thankfully are still kicking. If I didn't have so many deep roots here in northwestern Pennsylvania I definitely would move to as close as I could to the original Duke farm. The grandson of the guy who owned that place used to be here on the HN. I bought a few small pieces of boards from the house when they tore it down. You're right though. You have to work with what you have. Hazzard is a state of mind not a county.

12 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Hazzard is a state of mind not a county.

There's a lot of truth to that, yes.

I was a kid when the show came out; I am a New England native (born Vermont, grew up in NE Massachusetts) and at that time I had never heard southern accents, or words/terms like "ain't" and "y'all." Naturally I started to glamorize the South in my mind with Hazzard as the basis (kid thing, we've all been there). 

Since then I've lived in 6 states including 7 years in Louisiana where I married into the culture. Although I would enjoy visiting Covington (had no idea until WELL into adulthood about the place) Hazzard is, more than anything, a place inside us, a place of extreme decency despite the best efforts of the "Law" and local "Leader."