Forum Software Update

Meadowmufn

I upgraded a few of you into Veterans tonight. If you've been here a few years and have a good number of posts under your belt, PM me and I'll upgrade you too. If you're a newbie, stick around, you'll get there. ;)

"Boss, I can't just go 'Poof! You're a veteran.'"
"Go 'Poof!' or you're fired!"
"Poof! You're a veteran!"

:awesome:

9 hours ago, Meadowmufn said:

Ok, Hoss, I fixed the colors on quotes, the "Edited" text, and the ipsType_SectionHead. The "Edited" text CSS is also used for signatures, so I didn't want to make it too light. Let me know what you think.

The colors are looking good now.

8 hours ago, Meadowmufn said:

Annnnnd... I just figured out how to get back our square avatars. :D

I was just starting to get used to the round avatars, and updated mine so that it wasn't cropped, but I do prefer the square ones. Also, all the existing avatars were uploaded with the assumption that they'd be square, so some worked better than others as circles.

Now I'm going to try living with new look for a bit longer before I make any more requests :). Thanks for all the work you've put in, Meadowmufn.

I noticed that there is no space between the word 'Location' and the actual location under the avatar.  Maybe have a colon between the two as well.

I also liked when the members' 'Birthdays' section was on the right side and not at the bottom as it is now.   

Edited by Boss JD Hogg

6 hours ago, Roth Potter said:

Great job on the square avatars, not a fan of the round ones either. Can you change Veterans to Veteran though? As it displays under the name.

Ok, fixed the group names to take off the "s".

Roger, I'll be putting together a thread with instructions on some of the common features. I hope that'll help you out.

Question: Do you guys like the "Featured Posts" on the main forum page or do you think I should create a separate tab in the menu bar for popular posts? The reason I ask is that I don't want to clutter up the main forum page with 10+ featured threads. If I move it to a separate page and reachable via a tab on the menu bar, I can add a lot more featured threads for everybody's various projects. Or, I suppose I could create a menu item just for everyone's projects. Let me know what you guys think!

I'm sure the problem is with my lack of computer skills and not the updates. I'm on a regular computer at the moment and it's fine. I'm just struggling with the new tablet. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. I can't thank you enough MM for founding and maintaining HN for all these years. You are truly my hero. (well, you're third after God and Uncle Jesse)

12 hours ago, Meadowmufn said:

Question: Do you guys like the "Featured Posts" on the main forum page or do you think I should create a separate tab in the menu bar for popular posts? The reason I ask is that I don't want to clutter up the main forum page with 10+ featured threads. If I move it to a separate page and reachable via a tab on the menu bar, I can add a lot more featured threads for everybody's various projects. Or, I suppose I could create a menu item just for everyone's projects. Let me know what you guys think!

I think the "Featured Posts" section takes up a little too much space at the moment. On my screen, the word "Forums" is only just visible at the bottom of page before you scroll down. Is it possible to reduce the items to a single line each? Otherwise, I think that four items would be about the right number, but I'd hate to decide what to leave out. Is there any way to display a random selection of four from a larger group of around ten?

Another option could be to put the "Featured Posts" in the sidebar instead of the "Recent Posts". Now that we have the "New Posts" menu item and the ability to create custom activity streams, the "Recent Posts" area seems less necessary.

On an unrelated issue, there doesn't seem to be a "Members List" option in the new forum.

I've just noticed something strange in the Hazzard Square thread (nothing new, I hear you say :wink:). Take this post as an example - it looks like the quotataion marks have changed into strange characters, e.g. that appears to be “Roger’s Drug Storeâ€. I know I could edit them manually, but is there any way to do a global replace? I expect there are other posts affected by this.

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2016 at 9:48 AM, HossC said:

I've just noticed something strange in the Hazzard Square thread (nothing new, I hear you say ;)). Take this post as an example - it looks like the quotataion marks have changed into strange characters, e.g. that appears to be “Roger’s Drug Storeâ€. I know I could edit them manually, but is there any way to do a global replace? I expect there are other posts affected by this.

I'll look into that. There's probably a way to do a global replace, but I'll have to do some research.

16 hours ago, Meadowmufn said:

I just did an upgrade to the forums. It went so smoothly (right from the control panel) that now I'm really nervous. LOL. Let me know if you guys see any errors, issues, or weirdness.

I see that there's a new bar above the activity streams which lets you refine your search. It seems to work fine, but the white background doesn't really match the HNet color scheme.

On a separate issue, since the switch to IP.Board, I've noticed that the posts are no longer numbered (each thread used to start with #1). Does anyone else miss this?

• 1 year later...

Mufn, 

I've kinda been updating some stuff for my profile, and I seem to have found a few glitches... which probably weren't noticed by anyone because most people aren't updating that type of stuff - I had to update my email and such and want to update my avatar.

To properly view anything under your user settings (and to change settings - email, password, etc), you have to change the theme from the one of the two customs to the forums software default.

I've been in the process of updating stuff after a LONG hiatus due to a busy life.

Also, can anyone tell me where to update my avatar?? I haven't seemed to have found it yet and i've been looking all night (I haven't been able to sleep).