Silverstone Truck Racing Festival

Roth Potter

It's to late to tell you when this is because it was yesterday...

Anyway, yesterday on Sunday we went to Silverstone as it was close to where we were on vacation. I've never seen a race on a real circuit before so I was quite exited. I've been to the Hockenheimring and the Nurburgring before but not on a raceday.

As you probably noticed already, it was raceday of truck racing. Went in there, walk to a nice spectator area and sat down. They had Country music through the speakers in which most had some form of truck reference in them. Best part was, when I had only sat down for 1 second the dukes theme started playing! :D Also heard smokey and the bandit and Convoy through the speakers. There racing was great and close. Beside the trucks there were also Legends races and a sort of NASCAR Vauxhall Pickup serie. Also a great truck show was there including american trucks but I didn't have enough time to look around them as they were all gone when the racing was over.

Here are two pictures my father took with his camera at Copse.

19839822094_a3e507b3b7_b.jpg

20436227226_84a69e18ea_b.jpg

Edited by Roth Potter

Thanks for the pictures, Roth. The only motoring event I've been to at Silverstone was the 2003 British Grand Prix, although I did run around the circuit during a hail storm in the early '80s (and being an old airfield, it was quite exposed!). I haven't been back since they changed the layout a few years ago.

Regarding the truck racing, I've seen it on TV a few times and it looks pretty exciting. When I was in London, one of the teams used to keep their truck outside an industrial unit near where I worked.

Thanks for the pictures, Roth. The only motoring event I've been to at Silverstone was the 2003 British Grand Prix

That's the race with the priest running across the track wasn't it? Good thing that ended well.

Looks like fun!

It was! The music was good as well, especially with the Dukes theme playing the second I sat down.

That's the race with the priest running across the track wasn't it? Good thing that ended well.

My mistake - it must have been the 2002 race that I went to because the Arrows team was still racing. I watched it from near Stowe corner, i.e. the far side of the track from the start/finish straight as it was at the time. You're correct that the priest ran across the track during the 2003 race.