2015 NASCAR Race Review and Results

Garrett Duke

:previous:

Danica's 7th place was a great result, but it was from two weeks ago. Here's the full results from the Duck Commander 500 from the Texas Motor Speedway.

1. Jimmie Johnson

2. Kevin Harvick

3. Dale Earnhardt Jr

4. Joey Logano

5. Brad Keselowski

6. Jamie McMurray

7. Jeff Gordon

8. Kasey Kahne

9. Martin Truex Jr

10. Carl Edwards

11. Denny Hamlin

12. Ryan Newman

13. David Ragan

14. Kurt Busch

15. Ricky Stenhouse Jr

16. Danica Patrick

17. Greg Biffle

18. Trevor Bayne

19. Aric Almirola

20. Austin Dillon

21. AJ Allmendinger

22. Clint Bowyer

23. Matt Kenseth

24. Tony Stewart

25. Kyle Larson

26. Sam Hornish Jr

27. Casey Mears

28. David Gilliland

29. Brett Moffitt

30. Chris Buescher

31. Michael McDowell

32. Landon Cassill

33. Alex Bowman

34. Matt DiBenedetto

35. Cole Whitt

36. Mike Bliss

37. Alex Kennedy

38. Josh Wise

39. Justin Allgaier

40. Michael Annett

41. Paul Menard

42. Ryan Blaney

43. J.J. Yeley

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if Garrett's doing a review of last week's race from the Bristol Motor Speedway, so I thought I'd post the results of the Food City 500 in Support of Steve Byrnes and Stand Up to Cancer.

I didn't see the race, but I know it was badly delayed by rain. Matt Kenseth turned his pole into a win, with Garrett's Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon close behind. In fourth was Ricky Stenhouse Jr with (I think) his best finish of the season so far. There was also another top ten finish for Danica Patrick (I think she's just trying to prove Hobie wrong ;)).

1. Matt Kenseth

2. Jimmie Johnson

3. Jeff Gordon

4. Ricky Stenhouse Jr

5. Ryan Newman

6. Tony Stewart

7. Kyle Larson

8. Justin Allgaier

9. Danica Patrick

10. Austin Dillon

11. Paul Menard

12. Clint Bowyer

13. Aric Almirola

14. Jamie McMurray

15. Kurt Busch

16. Dale Earnhardt Jr

17. Brett Moffitt

18. David Gilliland

19. Sam Hornish Jr

20. Alex Bowman

21. Matt DiBenedetto

22. Michael McDowell

23. Michael Annett

24. Carl Edwards

25. Chris Buescher

26. Denny Hamlin

27. Cole Whitt

28. Trevor Bayne

29. Martin Truex Jr

30. Greg Biffle

31. Mike Bliss

32. J.J. Yeley

33. Alex Kennedy

34. AJ Allmendinger

35. Brad Keselowski

36. Casey Mears

37. Kasey Kahne

38. Kevin Harvick

39. Josh Wise

40. Joey Logano

41. David Ragan

42. Jeb Burton

43. Landon Cassill

Qualifying for this week's race, the Toyota Owners 400 from Richmond takes place in a few hours. The race is tomorrow (Saturday) at 7 PM ET. In the preview show at NASCAR.com, Chris Rice is tipping Jeff Gordon for the win this week.

Hey, you guys would've gotten a big kick out of this! This guy , some Yankee or something, from California, who was from who knows where, who now lives in Nashville and is on a talk show locally, commented on one of the races, when someone mentioned Kevin Harvick. He said he had no idea who Kevin Harvick was and then he later said he wished he' never said anything, because so many people called him and got down on him for not knowing who Harvick was!! LOL!!! :) I thought it was funny!! ( I bet he knows now!! :) )

I was going to post the result of last week's rain-delayed Toyota Owners 400 from the Richmond International Raceway on Friday, but the software upgrade prevented that.

The race was won by Kurt Busch, who led 291 of the 400 laps.

1. Kurt Busch
2. Kevin Harvick
3. Jimmie Johnson
4. Jamie McMurray
5. Joey Logano
6. Kasey Kahne
7. Matt Kenseth
8. Jeff Gordon
9. Clint Bowyer
10. Martin Truex Jr
11. Ryan Newman
12. Kyle Larson
13. AJ Allmendinger
14. Dale Earnhardt Jr
15. Paul Menard
16. Chase Elliott
17. Brad Keselowski
18. Justin Allgaier
19. Carl Edwards
20. Aric Almirola
21. Greg Biffle
22. Denny Hamlin
23. David Ragan
24. Trevor Bayne
25. Danica Patrick
26. Landon Cassill
27. Austin Dillon
28. Ricky Stenhouse Jr
29. Brett Moffitt
30. Casey Mears
31. David Gilliland
32. Alex Bowman
33. Michael Annett
34. Reed Sorenson
35. Sam Hornish Jr
36. Cole Whitt
37. Matt DiBenedetto
38. Jeb Burton
39. Alex Kennedy
40. Jeff Green
41. Tony Stewart
42. Josh Wise
43. Joey Gase

This week's GEICO 500 from the Talladega Superspeedway is just about to get started, and HMS has four cars in the top five, with Jeff Gordon on pole.

I only got to see the last few laps of the GEICO 500 from the Talladega Superspeedway, so I can't give much of a review.

Jeff Gordon spent most of the race in the top five, leading quite a few laps, but dropped back when he got pit lane speeding penalty with about 30 laps to go. The "Big One" came on lap 47, with 15 cars being involved. I thought that was going to be the end of Ricky Stenhouse Jr's race, but he was running close to the top ten in the closing laps. Both Ricky and Jeff wrecked with a lap to go, dropping both of them down the order. The race was won by Dale Earnhardt Jr, with teammate Jimmie Johnson close behind. With a few laps left, Ryan Blaney looked set for third, but eventually had to settle for a very creditable fourth. Here's the full result.

1. Dale Earnhardt Jr
2. Jimmie Johnson
3. Paul Menard
4. Ryan Blaney
5. Martin Truex Jr
6. Sam Hornish Jr
7. Ryan Newman
8. Kevin Harvick
9. Denny Hamlin
10. Josh Wise
11. Jamie McMurray
12. Kurt Busch
13. Cole Whitt
14. J.J. Yeley
15. Aric Almirola
16. Alex Bowman
17. AJ Allmendinger
18. Matt DiBenedetto
19. Tony Stewart
20. David Gilliland
21. Danica Patrick
22. Brad Keselowski
23. Justin Allgaier
24. Chris Buescher
25. Matt Kenseth
26. Ricky Stenhouse Jr
27. Bobby Labonte
28. Casey Mears
29. Michael Annett
30. Clint Bowyer
31. Jeff Gordon
32. Carl Edwards
33. Joey Logano
34. Kasey Kahne
35. Austin Dillon
36. Michael Waltrip
37. Greg Biffle
38. David Ragan
39. Landon Cassill
40. Brendan Gaughan
41. Trevor Bayne
42. Kyle Larson
43. Brian Scott

This week it's another Saturday night race. The SpongeBob SquarePants 400 from Kansas starts at 7.30 PM ET.

So the Spongebob Squarepants 400 just ended and it was yet another plagued by rain.

The first 98 laps had a total of three cautions: I missed the first one, the second was a competition caution thrown by Nascar, and the third was a single car spin, after that the race was delayed by 2 hours and 16 minutes for rain.

The next four cautions, totaling nine in the whole race, were one to two cars spinning and bumping and hitting the wall. Nothing real major to report.

Martin Truex Jr lead the most laps tonight at 95 laps and speaking of laps lead, with 15 laps to go Kevin Harvick has lead 1,000 laps (plus a few more since he lead a few after that) this season, which hasn't been done since '95 when Jeff Gordon lead 1000 laps in the first 11 races.

Logano was penalized not once but twice in the pits, first for his gas man, who was going to make a chassis adjustment, jumping over the wall too earlier, and second for entering pit lane when it was closed. In the post race interview he said it was totally his fault. He thought it was open and didn't realize it wasn't.

Side note: Erik Jones made his first Sprint Cup start during this race (he's only 18 and was taking over the 18 car for Kyle Busch while he's still out with two injured feet) slammed the wall to bring out the seventh caution and apologized to the crew stating the car got out from under him and he lost control.

Final results:

1. Jimmy Johnson

2. Kevin Harvick

3. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

4. Jeff Gordon

5. Joey Logano

6. Matt Kenseth

7. Brad Keselowski

8. Kurt Busch

9. Martin Truex Jr.

10. Ryan Newman

11. Aric Almirola

12. Greg Biffle

13. Jamie McMurray

14. A.J. Allmendinger

15. Kyle Larson

16. Sam Hornish Jr.

17. Kasey Kahne

18. Paul Menard

19. Casey Mears

20. Carl Edwards

21. Clint Bowyer

22. Austin Dillion

23. Michael Annett

24. Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

25. Matt Dibenedetto

26. Ty Dillon

27. Danica Patrick

28. Josh Wise

29. Landon Cassill

30. Justin Allgaier

31. Trevor Bayne

32. David Gilliland

33. David Ragan

34. Brett Moffitt

35. COle Whitt

36. Michael McDowell

37. J.J. Yeley

38. Joey Gase

39. Tony Stewart

40. Erik Jones

41. Denny Hamlin

42. Jeb Burton

43. Alex Bowman

Jimmie Johnson leads the Chase standings with three wins and Martin Truex Jr. leads in points with 63 more than Jamie McMurray and Jeff Gordon third in points. So far only 8 drivers have wins this season.

Next week it's the All-Star race in Charlotte, North Carolina starting at 7 p.m. eastern on Fox Sports 1. (I will be missing this race however, as long as it doesn't rain and delay it, due to going to see a late baseball game that starts at the same time.)

Thanks for the review, Lizzy. I was following the race up until the red flag, but had to call it a night at that point.

Erik Jones may have hit the wall later in the race, but he managed to lead a lap during one of the earlier cautions.

Speaking of young drivers, Formula 1 has 17-year-old Max Verstappen as a full-time driver this year.

• 1 month later...

So incase anyone was wondering (I guess we've all been slacking on this) here are links to the results from every race between the all star race and last week's race at Daytona.

Allstar race:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/standings/results/2015/nascar-sprint-allstar-race.html

Coca cola 600 from Charlotte:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/standings/results/2015/cocacola-600.html

Fedex 400 from Dover:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/standings/results/2015/fedex-400-benefiting-autism-speaks.html

Axalta 'We Paint Winners' 400 from Pocono:

http://espn.go.com/racing/raceresults/_/series/sprint/raceId/201506070007

Quicken Loans 400 from Michigan:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/standings/results/2015/quicken-loans-400.html

Toyota Save-mart 350 from Sonoma:

http://espn.go.com/racing/raceresults/_/series/sprint/raceId/201506280008

And last weekend's (technically yesterday's) Coke Zero 400 from Daytona:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/standings/results/2015/coke-zero-400-powered-by-cocacola.html

Next week we go racing in Kentucky at the Quaker State 400 at 7:30 pm eastern time on NBCSN. I will do my best to catch this race and update you guys for anyone who misses this since it's not on basic cable.

So incase anyone was wondering (I guess we've all been slacking on this) here are links to the results from every race between the all star race and last week's race at Daytona.

Allstar race:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/standings/results/2015/nascar-sprint-allstar-race.html

Coca cola 600 from Charlotte:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/standings/results/2015/cocacola-600.html

Fedex 400 from Dover:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/standings/results/2015/fedex-400-benefiting-autism-speaks.html

Axalta 'We Paint Winners' 400 from Pocono:

http://espn.go.com/racing/raceresults/_/series/sprint/raceId/201506070007

Quicken Loans 400 from Michigan:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/standings/results/2015/quicken-loans-400.html

Toyota Save-mart 350 from Sonoma:

http://espn.go.com/racing/raceresults/_/series/sprint/raceId/201506280008

And last weekend's (technically yesterday's) Coke Zero 400 from Daytona:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/standings/results/2015/coke-zero-400-powered-by-cocacola.html

Next week we go racing in Kentucky at the Quaker State 400 at 7:30 pm eastern time on NBCSN. I will do my best to catch this race and update you guys for anyone who misses this since it's not on basic cable.

The Quaker State 400 from Kentucky under the lights.

For this race Nascar made a change to the rear spoiler and shortened the height. Drivers had been complaining that with the tall spoiler there was no downforce or grip when they were behind another car. With a shorter one there is more grip and drivers can use it to slingshot around.

The first caution at lap 19: the 98 of Josh Wise and the 23 of JJ Yeley got together and sent the 98 into the wall. Little bit of damage but nothing big. Since it was before the competition caution at lap 32 the cars that wanted to could come in and make adjustments and change tires but no fuel is allowed until the competition caution.

Lap 32 brings out Nascar's competition caution, the second caution of the night, so Nascar can look at the tires and see how they're wearing, which is a big thing with all the bumps in the track in turn one. Denny Hamlin caught speeding on pit road and was penalized so he went a lap down during this caution.

Third caution at lap 85 or so: 27 of Paul Menard hit the wall and Jimmy Johnson was having problems with the rear of his car and they were talking about adding some cross weight.

Lap 99: Kurt Busch slipped and got loose in the corner and spun himself around

Fifth caution: JJ Yeley bumped and rubbed against the wall causing debris to fly up a bit. Keslowski lost 9 positions on pit road under this caution from 1st to 10th because the front tire carrier tripped over his tire and took a tumble in front of the car. Once the jack dropped Keslowski started to go unable to see the tire carrier and bumped into him. Also because the tire only came loose when Brad bumped the man Nascar has not penalized him for a loose tire. Also during this caution Jamie McMurray was entering his pit box right in front of Jeff Gordon and bumped into the jackman from Jeff's team. Both men were unharmed due to the low rate of speed both cars were doing.

Sixth caution of the night: Dale Jr. smacked the wall and complained his breaks aren't working. The pedal was to the floor but the car wasn't slowing down. Side noet he was having trouble with his breaks all through the first part of the race, having forgotten to turn the break fans on. This keeps the breaks cool and keeps the break fluid from boiling and not working right.

Seventh caution a few laps later: it started with the 1 of Jamie McMurray bumps a little into the 14 of Tony Stewart and he gets out of the gas. That caused the 17 of Ricky Stenhouse to get into the 26 of Jeb Burton and then the 14 hits the wall as well as the 83 of Matt DiBenedetto.

Eighth caution yet a few more laps later: debris in turn four

and more debris in turn two this time for caution number nine

Caution 10 with 60 laps to go: Danica Patrick hits the wall and spins but was only one that spun some right side damage. Denny Hamlin won the race off pit road in front of Kyle Busch who has been leading the most laps so far.

11th and final caution of the night, once again 10 laps later: Kyle Larson cuts a left rear tire and touches the wall.

11 cautions breaks the previous record of 10 on that track

Not much to say about Jimmy Johnson or Jeff Gordon tonight except they ran a solid race in the middle of the pack.

Dale Jr. was plagued by brake problems all night while Keslowski was plagued by pit road problems all night but thanks to his fast car he more than makes up for it.

Kyle Busch lead the most laps tonight at  laps. He and Brad Keslowski were battling for the lead most of the beginning of the race. Then towards the end Kyle battled Joey Logano for the end. Other leaders include Denny Hamlin, Carl Edwards, and Kyle Larson who lead from the pole thanks to a rained out Qualifying and having the fastest car in practice.

Also 4 of the top five cars (all but Joey Logano) are Joe Gibbs Racing teammates. The last time four teammates pulled this off was at Michigan in Aug of 08.

1. Kyle Busch

2. Joey Logano

3. Denny Hamlin

4. Carl Edwards

5. Matt Kenseth

6. Brad Keslowski

7. Jeff Gordon

8. Kevin Harvick

9. Jimmy Johnson

10. Kurt Busch

11. Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

12. Aric Almirola

13. Trevor Bayne

14. Jamie MCMurray

15. Paul Menard

16. Greg Biffle

17. Martin Truex Jr.

18. David Ragan

19. Clint Bowyer

20. Ryan Newman

21. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

22. Sam Hornish Jr.

23. Casey Mears

24. Justin Allgaier

25. Austin Dillon

26. AJ Allmendinger

27. Kasey Kahne

28. Landon Cassill

29. David Gilliland

30. Michael Annett

31. Alex Bowman

32. Brett Moffitt

33. Tony Stewart

34. Danica Patrick

35. Kyle Larson

36. Reed Sorenson

37. Cole Whitt

38. Will Kimmel

39. JJ Yeley

40. Alex Kennedy

41. Jeb Burton

42. Matt DiBenedetto

43. Josh Wise

Next week it's on to Loudin, New Hampshire for the New Hampshire 301, Sunday July 19th at 1:30 on NBCSN.

If anyone wants to do this next week because by the time I get home it'll be over I'll appreciate it.

P.S. I don't know why that last one double posted.

P.P.S. I hate live streaming the race on NBCSN. Every time they go to commercial it just goes to a picture of their logo with a note that says "Programming will resume momentarily" with the same six or so lines of music, which after a while gets very annoying. Whose idea was it to give NBCSN the rights to broadcast the race? Why oh why couldn't they just broadcast it on NBC? It's like they don't want people to watch the race at all. Whoever's brilliant idea this was isn't so brilliant. The ONLY good part about this channel is that they only went to commercial during the cautions.

• 2 weeks later...

Uh, well because no one else posted it here are the results for the New Hampshire 301

http://espn.go.com/racing/raceresults/_/series/sprint/raceId/201507190010

Once again Kyle Busch won. That makes this fan very happy. For anyone keeping track he is currently 33rd in points and 58 points behind 30th in the standings. There are only 7 more races until the chase so he'll have to keep performing well to make it.

Next week (and I mean this coming Sunday) the 26th it's on to the Brickyard 400 from Indianapolis Speedway in Indiana once again on NBCSN at 3:30 Eastern.

He should not have been given a waiver to begin with. If he wins the championship this year it will just prove how big a joke Nascar is since the Chase for the Championship started. "You can sit out 1/3 of the season and still win the championship"  :wacko:  

But it wasn't his fault he had to sit out 1/3 of the races. It was Nascar's fault. If they had put safer barrier all around the race track it never would have happened. Yes I know he's taking a risk by getting behind the wheel but it's up to Nascar to make sure the tracks and the cars are as safe as they can be. Anywhere that a car traveling more than 100 miles per hour can hit a wall that wall should be reinforced to absorb most of the hit.

He knew the risk when he got behind the wheel of the Nationwide car just like Tony Stewart knew the risks when he broke his leg in a Sprint car wreck in 2013. But why should Kyle Busch get a waiver for missing 11 races? Missing 5 races should be the limit if even that many, anymore too bad you don't get a waiver. Brain France is turning Nascar into the biggest Motorsport Joke, even worse than the F1 Mercedes follow the leader Races. 

Brain France is turning Nascar into the biggest Motorsport Joke, even worse than the F1 Mercedes follow the leader Races. 

Well, today's Hungarian GP sure didn't turn out like that. A win for Ferrari, and Red Bull filling the other two podium places. Mercedes could only manage sixth and eighth in an incident-packed race.

Well, today's Hungarian GP sure didn't turn out like that. A win for Ferrari, and Red Bull filling the other two podium places. Mercedes could only manage sixth and eighth in an incident-packed race.

About time a different team won  :tup: just might see if I can find a replay of the race on youtube this week when I have some free time.

• 1 month later...

Okay time to update again.

The Brickyard 400 from Indianapolis:

http://espn.go.com/racing/raceresults/_/series/sprint/raceId/201507260012

The Windows 10 400 from Pocono:

http://espn.go.com/racing/raceresults/_/series/sprint/raceId/201508020011

Cheez-it 355 from Watkins Glen:

http://espn.go.com/racing/raceresults/_/series/sprint/raceId/201508090013

Pure Michigan 400 from Michigan (obviously):

http://espn.go.com/racing/raceresults/_/series/sprint/raceId/201508160006

And finally last week's race

Irwin Tools Night Race from Bristol:

http://espn.go.com/racing/raceresults/_/series/sprint/raceId/201508220016

This weekend is off and next weekend they will be racing from Darlinton at 7 pm on September 6th Live on NBC. I find this very weird because September 6 is the day before labor day in the U.S. and there's nothing going on this weekend.

The chase standings as they sit with two races left until the contender round are according to Nascar.com and ESPN.com :

1) Jimmy Johnson, 4 wins and 792 points

2) Kyle Busch, 4 wins and 433 points

3) Joey Logano, 3 wins and 865 points

4) Matt Kenseth, 3 wins and 753 points

5) Kevin Harvick, 2 wins and 908 points

6) Dale Earnhardt Jr, 2 wins and 819 points

7) Kurt Busch, 2 wins and 713 points

8) Brad Keselowski, 1 win and 793 points

9) Martin Truex Jr, 1 win and 771 points

10) Denny Hamlin, 1 win and 712 points

11) Carl Edwards, 1 win and 666 points (I was almost afraid to type that)

12) Jamie McMurray, 0 wins and 696 points

13) Ryan Newman, 0 wins and 683 points

14) Paul Menard, 0 wins and 674 points

15) Jeff Gordan, 0 wins and 672 points

16) Clint Bowyer 0 wins and 655

The next back from that is Aric Almirola with 620 points.

Three big names out of the chase this year Greg Biffle (19th), Kasey Kahne (18th) and Tony Stewart (27th). However there are still two races until the contender round of the chase and any one of them could still win a race so we'll have to wait and see.

• 1 month later...

Okay, time for another update.

The Bojangles' Southern 500 from Darlington:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/standings/results/2015/bojangles-southern-500.html

The Federated Auto Parts 400 from Richmond:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/standings/results/2015/federated-auto-parts-400.html

Which left the standings:

1) Jimmy Johnson

2) Kyle Busch

3) Matt Kenseth

4) Joey Logano

5) Kevin Harvick

6) Dale Earnhardt Jr

7) Kurt Busch

8) Carl Edwards

9) Brad Keselowski

10) Martin Truex Jr

11) Denny Hamlin

12) Jamie McMurray

13) Jeff Gordon

14) Ryan Newman

15) Paul Menard

16) Clint Bowyer

Then it was on to the three races in the Challenger round:

The myAFibRisk.com 400 from Chicagoland:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/standings/results/2015/myafibriskcom-400.html

The Slyvania 300 from New Hampshire:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/standings/results/2015/sylvania-300.html

and today's AAA 400 from Dover:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/standings/results/2015/AAA-400.html

This leaves Matt Kenseth, Denny Hamlin, Kevin Harvick, Joey Logano, Carl Edwards, Martin Truex Jr, Kurt Busch, Jeff Gordon, Brad Keselowski, Kyle Busch, Ryan Newman, Dale Earnhardt Jr all in for the contender round.

Jimmy Johnson, Jamie McMurray, Paul Menard, and Clint Bowyer were all knocked out of the chase.

Up next it's the Bank of America 500 from Charlotte on Saturday the 10 of October on NBC at 7 pm ET.