CB radios on TDOH

There have to be some CB radio enthusiasts out there- anyone ever pay attention to the CB radios used on the show? I'm sure somebody has pegged the kind used in the General Lee, but what about other characters? The patrol cars, Jesse, Cooter, Daisy, etc.? Also, the CB base stations at the Duke farm, etc.

I'll start off: I have only looked into one, and that is the base station used in Cooter's Garage. Its a radio shack REALISTIC TRC-432 NAVAJO CB base station (with the brand name blacked out with black tape). From what I can tell, its the same kind throughout the series, but I could be wrong on that. He does use a couple different types of microphones though.

Mark

:previous:

That explains why I saw this yesterday :).

RadioShack.jpg

The stores traded under the name "Tandy" in the UK, but they've been gone for a while now. I found this on Wikipedia:

"Tandy stores in the UK sold mainly own-brand goods under the 'Realistic' label and the shops were distinguished on the high street by continuing to use written sales receipts and a cash drawer instead of a till as late as the early 1990s. Staff were required to take the name and address of any customer who made a purchase, however small, in order to put them on the company's brochure mailing list, which often caused disgruntlement.

In 1999 the UK stores were acquired by Carphone Warehouse, as a part of an expansion strategy that saw the majority of the Tandy stores converted to either Carphone Warehouse or Tecno photographic stores. By 2001 all former Tandy stores had been converted or closed."

I used to read hi-fi magazines in the '80s, and I still remember the review of a piece of Tandy equipment that said something like "Whoever named this amplifier 'Realistic' must come from a different universe to me".

Clearly the Radio Shack products were not a 'product placement' or otherwise 'permission granted' brand to be seen on the show as the name was blacked out. I haven't researched it (yet), but I get the impression that many different brands were used without regard to brand name. Its common practice to block out/remove the branding on items that might be visible on screen unless there is a specific 'clearance' to use a specific brand.

I believe a Cobra brand CB was in The General, but I'm not sure if the brand name was visible, or folks just figured out which brand it was.

Mark

Its common practice to block out/remove the branding on items that might be visible on screen unless there is a specific 'clearance' to use a specific brand.

I know this is a little off topic, but I was watching the "making of" DVD extras from the 'Back to the Future' movies last week when the subject of product placement came up. They commented that Shell would have given them more money than Texaco to be on the gas station in the town square, but Texaco's logo and the general style of their gas stations gave a better contrast between 1955 and 1985. They also mentioned that California Raisins wanted product placement in the first movie, but they couldn't find a good place to put them. In the end they put the name on the park bench where the hobo was sleeping. At that point the producers didn't know that California Raisins had given $50,000 for their name to appear, and the California Raisins people threatened to sue when they saw the movie. In the end I think they just gave the money back. Although the money helps out, the producers were of the opinion that product placement caused too many compromises, and it's better just to get permission and co-operation (e.g. supply of uniforms and signage etc.).

It is interesting that Dukes more than most '80s TV shows seemed to go to great lengths to hide brand names. Rolls Royce is one of the few I remember hearing, and they probably figured that sales wouldn't be affected by the mention. Maybe things changed as they went along - at the beginning of 'Knight Rider', KITT is a Trans-Am, but in later seasons he's always referred to as "a black T-top".

The product placement stuff (especially for little things) doesn't happen as much on series TV as it does in features- there simply isn't time week to week to do much other than get a name 'cleared'. Its always easier to just hide the name. One common trick is turning cans/boxes away from camera (like in a grocery store).

As for Knight Rider, I think they went away from calling it a 'Trans Am' because they wanted KITT to seem unlike any other car.

Back to Cooter's CB: here is reference shot:

16366885177_b1b42bc7eb.jpgCooter's CB by mommydawn2000, on Flickr

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
On 2/10/2015 at 5:57 PM, Mark B / Scooter Davenport said:

There have to be some CB radio enthusiasts out there- anyone ever pay attention to the CB radios used on the show? I'm sure somebody has pegged the kind used in the General Lee, but what about other characters? The patrol cars, Jesse, Cooter, Daisy, etc.? Also, the CB base stations at the Duke farm, etc.

I'll start off: I have only looked into one, and that is the base station used in Cooter's Garage. Its a radio shack REALISTIC TRC-432 NAVAJO CB base station (with the brand name blacked out with black tape). From what I can tell, its the same kind throughout the series, but I could be wrong on that. He does use a couple different types of microphones though.

Mark

I found this screen shot in season 5 in enos's patrol car. It is a General Electric 40 channel. I don't remember the model number but it is for sale on EBay. Most of the vehecle ran the Sharp 40 channel and the early general had the Cobra 78X. Boss had a Pace in his Convertible. Anyway, i know this is a old thread but just saw it. 

20200217_015753~2.jpg

3 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Stupid cell phones have made life so boring. Kids nowadays have no idea how much fun CBs were. That's why I always get the walkie talkies out when my grandkids are around. It helps them understand a little. 

Lol, that's awesome to hear! My wife and I baby sit a good friends little boy. She is a single mom and he does not get much guy time so when we babysit him I always break out the walkie talkies and he absolutely loves it. We also makes forts and run race cars down the steps. Anyway, it is a lot of fun for him and me talking the radio.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/12/2015 at 2:19 PM, HossC said:

I know this is a little off topic, but I was watching the "making of" DVD extras from the 'Back to the Future' movies last week when the subject of product placement came up. They commented that Shell would have given them more money than Texaco to be on the gas station in the town square, but Texaco's logo and the general style of their gas stations gave a better contrast between 1955 and 1985. They also mentioned that California Raisins wanted product placement in the first movie, but they couldn't find a good place to put them. In the end they put the name on the park bench where the hobo was sleeping. At that point the producers didn't know that California Raisins had given $50,000 for their name to appear, and the California Raisins people threatened to sue when they saw the movie. In the end I think they just gave the money back. Although the money helps out, the producers were of the opinion that product placement caused too many compromises, and it's better just to get permission and co-operation (e.g. supply of uniforms and signage etc.).

It is interesting that Dukes more than most '80s TV shows seemed to go to great lengths to hide brand names. Rolls Royce is one of the few I remember hearing, and they probably figured that sales wouldn't be affected by the mention. Maybe things changed as they went along - at the beginning of 'Knight Rider', KITT is a Trans-Am, but in later seasons he's always referred to as "a black T-top".

Gilligan's Island(1964-1967) did this. The Skipper's black hats and Mr. Howell's white hat were former Lancaster Uniform Cap Co. Brand 1929-2011. But the Lancaster Brand Established 1929 Los Angeles CA. ASK THE MAN WHO WEARS ONE labels were left plain blank. They were gold color as on the catalog of Lancaster hats products. But had all the writing left off on the show.

37 minutes ago, Skipper Duke said:

Gilligan's Island(1964-1967) did this. The Skipper's black hats and Mr. Howell's white hat were former Lancaster Uniform Cap Co. Brand 1929-2011. But the Lancaster Brand Established 1929 Los Angeles CA. ASK THE MAN WHO WEARS ONE labels were left plain blank. They were gold color as on the catalog of Lancaster hats products. But had all the writing left off on the show. This also happened with Alan Hale Jr.'s Midway Cap Co. Brand Skipper hat in the 1st TV Reunion Movie Rescue From Gilligan's Island(1978). The Midway name was not present inside the movie cap.