New Troubles for the New Guy: Bosses Redemption

1hellraiser

After John, and Bo found out they were father and son, things settled for a while. John had rented himself a small Apt. near Cooters garage, (it was still named Cooters, the boys never changed it) and stayed usually wrist deep in crankcases. His old black mustang was destroyed after making the bridge jump, John was fine, but the Old muscle car, took too hard of a beating, and was basically crushed. After being nursed back to health, by Chance and Kristy, he decided to had to get back on the road. So, John, Bo jr., and Jake went car shopping. After going thru the junkyards, and car lots, all they found was rats, 4 legged and 2 legged. In a moment of defeat, John called his old racing partner to see if he had any leads. Of course this lead nowhere. They went to, a dark junkyard that no one had been to in years. Hoggs Auto Retreat, after walking around in there, for an hour, he came upon a 1973 yellow roadrunner, that looked like it was in rough shape, but the body was there, and the frame was in good shape. He decided to rescue this vision of lovlyneess. Since the junkyard was vacent he didn't what to do, so he did the next best thing, he called his father at the garage. He pulled out his cell phone, and rang him up. After explaining the situation, Bo jumped in the truck came out for a visit. Him and Jake, got the engine to turnover, but the spark was way out of tune, and the rats ate the wires. Bo showed up, to the Junkyard, "God, boys I ain't been here since me an Luke were your age, well lets see the car." They move and Bo see's the Roadrunner, sitting there as if a ghost of the past. "You know John, you have a rough way to bring back memories", Bo exclaims. "This was Daisy's car, before she got the jeep, it was destroyed in a wreck, over 20 years ago...." Bo trails off in disbelief. "Dad, maybe it is a different car, Plymouth must have made thousands like this", John explains. "One way to find out, I had left my probation paperwork in the trunk, if it is here, then I'll know". Bo then goes over to the trunk, and with a moan of a prybar on metal, it opens. Bo, looks thru the trunk, and sees nothing, besides a toolbox, and a newspaper, from 1982. "This is strange, the toolbox belonged to Uncle Jesse, I remember he lost it after the car crash", he opens the tool box, and finds Jesses old tools. "This car was destroyed, I know it was I saw the crash, hell I was in the crash, I better call Luke". Bo calls luke and tells him meet him at the junkyard, when an old haggard looking man walks thru. He was short, fat, and wearing a white suit. Bo looks over, and almost faints at the sight of Boss Hogg. "Boss is that you, no wait, a minute you died 10 years ago, I was a pallbearer" Bo gets cut off, "No Bo it's me, I been hiding here for 10 years, I was rebuilding the car here, as something to do. You see I faked my death, to save the lives of the people of hazzard. I had gotten myself in over my head, with a Syndicate family. I was trying to make one last try, to get some syndicate attention, when I caught them trying to run guns, thru hazzard. I knew that if they made it, there would be no stopping them. So I turned them into the Atf, and I had faked my death. If I hadn't God only knows what would happened. So, Rosco brings me out some food each month, I still run the county but thru him. I decided to run it honest, now because after so many years of seeing what I was doing to everyone I knew, I just couldn't do it anymore. I'm sorry to hear about Jesse, he was a good man, actually, he knew I was here to, I made him swear, not to tell anyone. He kept me up you and Luke, I'm glad to see you boys back in hazzard, where you belong." Just then Luke pulls up, He does a double take, as he sees the roadrunner, and Boss. "What the hell is this, the cars was destroyed, and your dead. Boss tells Luke everything that had happened. "By the way, Bo, if you want you can have the roadrunner for the kid here" Bo takes the keys. "Boss, Would you like to come to town, and see it again" Luke asks, Boss accepts, his offer, and gets in the truck.

• 2 weeks later...

As they circle town, old Boss began to cry, Luke dropped him off at the police station. He let Boss walk in. Luke pulled up as Bo, was unhooking the roadrunner. I don't believe it, the Boss is back, and the roadrunner. Luke exclaims, as they push the car in the garage. In the police station was a different story, Rosco, was sure suprised to see his old boss. As Rosco drops his coffee, "Rosco, you numbskull" Boss cries outs, and gives him a hug. Well things are different now, nice and honest, Jesse Duke is gone, Cooter is a goverment official, and Bo, and Luke are married with kids. Damn, I cant beleve it." Boss excliams. "Only one thing is different, J.D. Hogg you are under arrest, for insurance fraud. You see when you died, I had an policy on you for 10,000. I collected it. You always thought I was stupid, Boy you were wrong. I didn't watch you for all those years to get nothing. Sure I ran Hazzard honest, but all of the 50% of 50% you gave me, got me nowhere. With Lulu, and Jesse gone, there is no one to fight for you. Bo and Luke wouldn't now because they have families, and their kids, are nothing like them, only in looks and a little driving talent. Now hazzard is just to tame, and people don't care." Rosco told him, as Boss was shaocked and a little impressed. But as Rosco, was putting the cuffs on him, he shook loose, and knocked Rosco, down. With that he ran to the garage, for help. {part III, is coming would be easier but looks like I got no help with this one, some kind duke spirit :-? }

• 2 weeks later...

Part 3

As Boss ran into the garage, he tackled John, as John went butt over tool box, Boss was panting like a dog chasing Lassie. Jake crawled out from under the Roadrunner. “what the heck is goin’ onâ€, he asks. “Boys listen, that jackass of a sheriff, is after me. He says that what I did was insurance fraud, he put a policy on my life for 10 grand, and when I had left town, he collected, now he’s after me†Boss tells them. “Ok, hide in the bed in the truck and we’ll drive you to the farm, then dad can help sort this out, with John driving, he can shake Rosco†Jake tells him. They jump in the truck and take off. Jake calls Luke on the cell phone, tells him to wait up. As they make the curve out of town, Rosco catches up, he tries to bump the 1985 ford truck off the road. But John, pops the clutch, and slaps the stick into 4th gear. The 351 mill with the straight pipes roar, and with a cloud of dust, the race was on. Rosco, was trying to manuver around the truck, but the crown victoria just wasn’t powerful enough to keep up, but just quick enough, to make him hard to shake. As John, slowed around the corner, Rosco bumped the driver side, of the truck. Causing it to slide out of shape. John recovered the truck quickly, as he made his was back thru the gear range. Rosco, was side by side with the truck. Rosco was trying to bump him off the road. John slammed the brakes and clutch, and let Rosco pass. Rosco curved in front of the truck, John jammed it into 3rd, and popped the nitrous. The truck slammed into the backend of the police car. The sound of thunder echoed, as Rosco, spilled the car into the ditch. He stopped and saw the sheriff, spitting out grass, and dirt. “know what, that move would have made old Dale proud“, John says as he lights his cigarette. They pull into the farm, Bo meets them outside, and sees the damage to the truck, “I see you had a run in with the law huhâ€. “Funny, very funny dad, did Luke tell you what’s goin’ on†John asks. “Yeah, where is heâ€, Bo asks. “In the back, how do you like your bacon, shaken or stirredâ€, Jake jokes. Boss jumps out, as he is shaking the dirt off, â€I see you have your fathers sense of humor, badâ€, Boss replies. Now the boys had told the girls and Daisy, so no fainting would occur. Beth, and Debbie come out to see the commotion. John, walks up to Beth, “It was rough, I think the truck needs a few more horsepower, and a quicker suspension. Rosco, almost caught usâ€. “If I had a dime for every time that Rosco, almost caught your father, and uncle, we’d be awfully rich. It’s just a fact of life, Rosco gets close, he screws up, we nail him to the wall, now get in the house, Aunt Daisy, wants to get her car back, and since she has the title, your in trouble with her†Beth informs him. As he goes in the house, Luke stops him. “Kid, I’ve seen her steamed, your in for long night. By the way, Kylie Mcdowell, stopped by the garage, asking a lot of questions about you. She pretty cute in that sundress, if I was 20 again, I’d go after herâ€, Debbie slaps Luke in the arm and laughs. (balladeer, now for those you who do not know Kylie, she is about 5’4 with redhair, and curves like a bag full of bobcats, with the personality of a apple pie, sweet, and sugary, with a bit of spice) John makes in past the door, as Daisy corners him, he sits in the chair. “Listen here John Duke, you had no right to take that car, your father and uncle destroyed that car. That was my first car, after it was destroyed I thought I’d never see it again, now that it’s back, I want it back. I have a car that I’ll trade you for it, I bought it when I was in North Carolina. I already talked about with Bo, and Luke and they say, even Cooter couldn’t get that car back in shape, for the race. It barely even starts. If anyone should get it, it should be Boss Hogg, because he rebuilt it, he don’t want it, so it’s mine again.†John, just sat there dazed, thinking he got ranover by a mack truck. “Whoa paint, who put hi test in you, relax, I was thinking the same thing, the roadrunner, can’t be redone in a week. Even, with Dad, Luke, Jake, and a prayer there is just too much to be done, and parts are hard to get. It, needs a new tranny, engine which I have, axles, steering assembly, it just needs everything. So, I was going to sit the race out, and work the pits for Dad and Luke. Plus I want to see what the mythical General Lee can do.†John tells her. Now while all of this was going on, Bo, Luke, and Boss were laying out a plan, to get rid of the policy, and to give back the 10 grand to the insurance company. (balladeer:, now ya’ll sit tight it’s starting to get good. Part IV is coming)

• 2 weeks later...

Part Iv!!

The next morning arrived. John stumbles out of his room, lighting his first smoke of the morning. He makes his way to the porch, to enjoy the brisk morning air. He is sitting there trying to plot a way to get a car for the race, and help the Boss. Boss walks out of the house, “Morning John, you know your father and uncle had the same look on their face when they had a race coming up. I remember back when they got the General. You see at first it was a wreck, from the junkyard, but in better shape than the car I gave you. They stayed holed up in Cooters garage for days. God I remember when they pulled out, it was beautiful sight. The Rebel flag was waving proud, and the orange just shined in the sun, Jesse was so proud of the boys. He raised them from little boys. He gave up the one thing that made him happiest, just to keep them out of prison. I wish that I would of straightened up, before he got sick, and they left. I miss old Jesse, I know the hell I put your family through, but damnit I loved him like a brother, and the boys like they mine. I was just to greedy to show it. You do remind me a lot of Bo, when he was your age, looks, driving skills, attitude, everything. I feel sorry for the other fathers around here. You know since coming back, I want my county back, Rosco, is just to mean to run it now. Times have changed, after looking on the ride back, I never noticed this but hazzard needs help, we need factories, jobs, daycare. When I get back, that’s what I’m going to do, we have a few old factories that we can rebuild, I still have some contacts, hazzard will thrive againâ€. Just then Daisy walks out, “morning boysâ€, she hands John and Boss, a cup of coffee. “John, if you’ll follow me into the barn I have a surprise for you†John, walks with her to the barn, as daisy opens the door, “I brought this back from capitol city last night, I want to have itâ€. John looks stunned as she takes the tarp off of a 1986 Monte Carlo SS. “Wow, this is a 1986 Monte Carlo SS, nice, look at it, jet black.†He wipes the tears away. He pops the hood open, “this has a 454 with fuel injection.†He lays under it, “Racing suspension, rears, and compition clutch, damnâ€. Daisy tosses him the keys, as he slides in behind the wheel, he notices, a hurst racing shifter, sun tach, and the traditional cobra cb. He primes the engine, and give the key a twist. All of a sudden, 550 horses come to life, the sound of the finely tuned GM motor roars, thru a set of straight pipes running hot from the exhaust manifold. He pops the cb, on to channel 7. He gives the gear range a going thru. As he pulls the sun visor down, a note falls from the visor. “take care of her and she will treat you right, love Aunt Daisyâ€. Just then Bo, Luke, Jr, Beth, Debbie and Jake, come running out of the house. John pulls the car out of barn, and with a cloud dust he circles the General. He looks at Bo and Luke, “your in trouble, I got my carâ€, John exclaims. He gets out, and gives Daisy a big hug. “Hey, Jake wanna give her a run?â€, Jake replies, “Hell Yeahâ€, and climbs in thru the windows. As he is climbing in Beth jumps in “you two be careful, and be back by lunchâ€, They reply “yes Maamâ€. With that they left, Boss looks at the boys, you know just have them tuck in their shirts, and they would be you two 20 odd years agoâ€, Bo smiles, “you know boss we still gotta get you out of hot water with Rosco, I do have an idea, now without a policy, for the insurance, he ain’t got a case against ya. I called Cooter last night after everyone went to bed, and explained everything to him. He is coming in to watch the race, anyway so he has agreed to watch the garage, for a while. He should be there now. “Well Bo, I know where he keeps the important papers, he usually keeps them in his piggy bank, hidden in my old safe at the boars nest. The thing is to keep Rosco occupied long enough, to get the policy.†“That’s no problem, with John and Jake, running around, they can outsmart him, I’ll just give them a shout.†Luke says. “Now wait a minute, with or without the policy, all Rosco has to do, is call the insurance company, and get another copy of it, what we need to do, is to catch him with his pants down. He didn’t do anything wrong, for all he knew Boss was dead, and buried, at least that’s what he told them. We have to get him to admit, knowing Boss was alive, with that he will be just as guilty, and he’ll be jail too. Now the only one who can do that is Boss, but we have to wire him, we only got one shot, that is if Rosco don’t shoot first.†Bo Jr. suggests. “True but we can’t put Boss in that position, because if we do, Rosco will have him under the jail, before you know it, if we can get to Rosco, and get him to talk, were all set. Hey Bo, remember that old Burt Reynolds movie, where he played the stunt man?†Luke asks. “Yeah, didn’t he want a raise, for a car stunt, and he took the director for a ride, he scared the tar out of him, and got his raise.†Bo tells him. “Exactly, but he won’t ride with us, he knows John and Jake to good, but he still trusts Enos, don’t he†Luke smiles, and looks at Daisy. “Luke you cannot be serious, Enos is retired, and his old station wagon don’t scare anyone, but the chickens he tries not to runover.†Daisy tells him. “How about one of the girls here, he’d trust them, and he don’t know that Boss is here. So all we have to do is disable is car, and Beth here, will be there to pick him up in the General, and she will scare the truth out of himâ€, Luke says. “What about me, Luke†Debbie asks. “You don’t have driving ability to scare a frog, you gotta understand, he has ridden with us, (he points to him and Bo), Beth has been driving in the Powder Puff league at the track, she can scare the pants off of him, or maybe charm them off†Luke tells her, (Bo, gives Luke a slap in the back of his head!!) Just then the radio blasts off. “Hey yall on the hazzard net, this is the #1 Hell raiser (Johns handle), I got Rosco, on my backdoor, I can shake him, unless you got different plans, come on backâ€. “Ok Raiser, don’t shake him, let him get close then knock him off the roadâ€. Luke tells him. “10-4 Unc. Can do. By the way, this car is a monster, the General is gonna demoted to private in a weekâ€. Bo grabs the mic, “Keep talking like that, your gonna be grounded before the race, kid.†“The only reason you would ground me is because your scared of the General, getting beatenâ€. John shot back. After the cb exchange, John got down to business. As the Monte Carlo, was racing down the dirt road, Rosco, began to fall back, John spun the car around and headed toward Rosco. As they sped, toward each other, neiter him or the wily old sheriff, would break, and turn. The Monte Carlo, was shifted into 4th gear, and was approaching 110 mph. They kept getting closer, John could see the look fear in Rosco’s face. “I have been fighting them Dukes, for over 30 years, this time I will not back down, this time they will go in the ditch.†Rosco thought. Now they were about 30 feet away from each other, “Jake he ain’t braking†John shouts out. Just then, Rosco, spins the wheel to the left, and drops the car in the ditch. “Lost sheep 1 and 2, this is the #1 Hellraiser, mission accomplished, dropped him on Higby pass, and the car, has two flat tires, and the radator head butted a tree. He aint going nowhere.†Beth, jumps in the general, and heads off for Higby pass. (Balladeer:, doncha just love when a plan comes together, sit tight for part 5.)

• 2 weeks later...

Part 5

Beth, goes for the General, but Bo stopped her. “If he sees you in the General, he’ll smell a rat. Why not take John’s truck, he may recognize it, but not as much as the old Generalâ€. She grumbles on how she never gets to drive the General, but she gets in the old Ford pickup, and starts it up. “Why are all of his vehicles, so damn loud. I swear he is so much like Bo, it is scaryâ€, she thinks. She takes off, and passes John’s Monte Carlo, he radios in, “Beth, me and Jake are goin to the garage and tune up the car, you guys need anything while I’m thereâ€. “A step ladder to get out of this fool truck would nice John, by the way pick up some food for tonight, the Boss ate us out of house and home. Also since your staying at the house, move your stuff, into Jakes room, and put your tools at the garage. “Hey hell raiser, this is Bo Peep, there is no sense in tuning up the car, you won’t win. The General is the best car everâ€, Bo tells him. “If it’s so great then why did a mustang beat him, I know he ain’t that great, just luckyâ€, John tells him. Beth pulls up to Rosco, and stops the truck. “Hey sheriff, wanna a ride into town†she asks. “No, just call Bo or Luke, and get the wrecker, out here, I scuffed her pretty hard. I tell you, that John, is a mean piece of work, I was chasing after him, then he spun around, and we played chicken, then he spun it back, and knocked me here. I don’t know, he just drives like nothing I ever saw, and that black car, was just plain evil. Bo’s gotta settle him down, or else he’ll be in trouble one day. “, Rosco groans, as he gets in the truck. “I can’t call the boys, because they took the wrecker, into Hatchopee, to get parts, for the race coming up.†Beth told him. Rosco, is getting upset, “Listen, I know a shuck and jive, better than anyone. The general don’t need parts from Hatchopee, because they keep a stock of parts there. Plus they has a truckload of parts from Nashville last week. If I can’t talk to them, then I’ll give you the message. I know Boss is at the farm, tell them that I aint looking for him anymore, him and I are getting to old for this stuff anymore, all I want is Boss back in office, and no more scams, or schemes. If you want give him the message, if not don’t but I’m not after him anymore“. With that she dropped him off at the station house. She drove over to the garage, She walks in and sees the Monte Carlo, on the rack. “Just finishing her off, made sure everything is tight and ready, that way we can bury the General, in a cloud of dust and gravelâ€. Jake tells her. Listen boys, Rosco told me he don’t want Boss, I gotta get a hold of Bo and Luke. John grabs his cell phone, and gives it to her. As she calls the farm John starts the car, and tunes it to a fine growl. “Boys lock up the garage, we gonna have a family meeting, this time I’m riding in the carâ€. Beth tells them. John tosses Jake the keys to the truck, and follows them home. They pull into the farm.

At dinner she tells the group the news about what Rosco said. “I don’t know, he is backing off to easily, something’s up, I just gotta know what it is.†Boss says. Just then Rosco, pulls up in his white cruiser. The boys, begin to run for the cars, Enos meets them at the door. “You boys just listenâ€. Rosco, walks in and grabs a seat. He looks into Bosses eyes. “J.D., we are just too old and ornery for this back stabbing and stuff. What say we just call it a truce, and that’s the end. The county’s yours again†Boss looks at him, and sees something he hasn’t seen in almost 30 years, honesty, and a look of truth. With that they shake hands. Boss looks back, at the Dukes, “You boys have a race to win, the winner not only gets the trophy, but the Roadrunner, keys, title, and all. I’ll even pay to have it rebuilt. John, looks at Daisy, and says “Your on, J.D., after all, we’ll need another mopar in the family, after the General, loses, and gets put to pasture, with all of the other, retired race horses.â€. “You have no idea, what your doing, by insulting the General“, Bo, tells him. As Rosco and Boss, leave Bo, looks at John, “how about a race to settle the score, then we’ll start on a fresh slate, for the race. The loser, has to eat Luke’s firehouse chili. From here to the garage and back. Besides I am getting sick and damned tired, of hearing you talk bad about the general. You told me that you used to race, well so far you’ve been good, but I wanna see how good you really are.†John lights up a cigarette, and thinks it over. “your on, by the way it’s no disrespect towards you, or Luke, but since I got here, all I heard was General this and General that, and I wanna race the bestâ€. Then John looks at Bo, “But since Dale sr. is gone, you’ll doâ€, He laughs and slaps Bo on the back., (Balladeer, them two, are so alike it’s scary, hang on part six is coming)

• 2 weeks later...

Part 6

After he slaps Bo on the back, Bo just gives him dirty look, and growls “You know what, I raced Dale for many years, the first time, was back in 1983, when he ran for Wrangler, in a blue and yellow chevy, he was tough, dangerous and the best. Then later, in the black Goodwrench, and let me tell you, there is nothing, more scary, than seeing that car coming at you, because you knew you were in for a long and usually bad day. And, to see you, a punk kid, compare himself to a legend like that is downright stupid. For one you will never be as good, two, I will never be as good, and three no one will be as good. So get your butt in that car, and lets see what you got. Racing in Bama, is one hell of a lot different than hazzard.†Luke tries to cut him off, but knowing how competitive Bo is, he realizes there is just no use, just then a voice rears back, “Didn’t we used to tell you that, back when you were 20-25, that were nowhere near as good as Richard Pettyâ€, Bo and Luke look back, “Cooter Davenport, how in the hell are you,†Bo yells out. “Pretty good, I see race season around here is as rough as always, Cooter says. John’s cell phone rings, and it is Kylie, asking him, if he would like to meet her for a piece of pie, at the diner. “I gotta invite for a piece of pie, so lets settle this on the track, all I gotta say is, I may never be as good as Dale, but I know, that I can shut the General downâ€. With that he sped off to pick up Kylie.

After pulling up at the Hazzard diner, Kylie meets him outside. She is wearing a pretty blue faded cotton dress, and her red curls are bouncing up and down. John gets out of the Monte Carlo, that he has named the Admiral. As John kicks the dirt off of his boots, he walks up to her. “Hi, there I’m John Duke, you must be the Girl who keeps calling me.†He steps back to light a cigarette. “I’m, Kylie Mcdowell, and I’m the one who keeps calling because you don’t answer your phoneâ€. John, stunned by her gall, (no woman has ever talked back to him) “It’s hard to get a signal outhereâ€. He says shuffling his feet, on the sidewalk. They walk into the diner, as they walk to the nearest table, John pulls out Kylies chair. “Hi, Kyl.. Ur uh yall what can I get for yaâ€? The waitress asks. “She know you, Kylieâ€? John asks. “We went to school together, she kinda watches over me, but she ain’t had time since the Boss came back. She keeps running food over, he says he missed home cookin’. She replies, as she steal a smoke from John’s half empty pack. “Easy there kid, the last person who tried that, is still eating jello“. He scolds. “Got a light†she shoots back. John mumbles, “want me to smoke for ya tooâ€. The food arrives, John has his usual, burger and fries, with a cup of coffee. She has a chicken sandwich, with the crusts cut off, and a coke. They eat up, and begin to talk again, “So you said the waitress watches over you, whyâ€, John asks? “Well I have a rough run when it comes boys, the last one thought I was a punching bag, and the one before that, thought I was his motherâ€, she replies. With a pained look on his face John offers her a smoke. “I had it rough to, my last girlfriend, left me for her ex boyfriend, and the one before that was a nut job, she thought I was a walking wallet.†They, begin to soften their look towards each other. “So how do you like Hazzard?. She asks. “It’s nice, but I been here for 2 months and have 6 tickets, Rosco must love me. The people are real nice too.†John replies. “So Daisy, told me that you and Bo get along like 2 peas in a pod, except, for the last weekâ€. “Yeah the race, has put a strain, on the family, its just that I am so tired of hearing General Lee this and General Lee that, it’s like the car is God around hereâ€, John tells her. “Well, he is Bo and Luke have been running him for about 30 years, them and that car have saved the town, saved people, kept people from going to jail, and putting people in jail. You see around here we love tradition, and that car, is tradition for us. There’s even a rumor, where Jake was conceived in the backseat.†She says while slurping her coke. “Well, in a few days Me and the Admiral, will break tradition, speaking of the car, wanna go for a ride?†John stumbles over, he knows he’s falling for her, because he offered her a ride in his car, he never did that for no girl before. “Sure, wanna go to, Bexton fields?â€, Kylie asks. “Sure, but I gotta get some gas and smokes, and check in quick.†John, slaps a 10 on the table, and lightly takes her hand, to lead her to the Admiral.

John opens the passinger side door, for Kylie, then he slides over the hood, and jumps in the window. Kylie thinks to herself, “a little too much like Bo, well then Jake is carbon of Lukeâ€. John pops the clutch, and the Admiral roars to life. They take off for the Garage, for gas, and John has to break into his tool box, for 2 packs of cigarettes and a spare lighter. John, pulls in and meets up with Cooter. “Hey young Duke, whats goin onâ€? Cooter asks as he’s filling up the car. “Nothing much, going to Bexton Fields, for a bit, John replies as he grabs the smokes. “Bexton, huh pretty quiet place to talk†Cooter says with a wink. “Nothing like that, I want things to go slow." John tells him, and gives him a 20 for gas.

(Balladeer - the only thing that goes slow in Hazzard, is Boss paying his taxes, sit tight part 7 is coming)

• 3 weeks later...

Part 7

John stirs up dust as he kicks the car, out of the garage. He muscles it on to the main road. He grabs the cb mic, “Break 7, this is the 1hellraiser, anyone home on the farm?†Static crackles for a second or two, “Hey hell raiser, you got Luke here, what’s goin on?†John shoots back, “Not much, me and Kylie, are going for a Sunday ride, how’s things going over there?†“Ok, were all gathered around the TV, watching the race, it looks like Jimmie Johnson, got it again.†Luke tells him. “How’d Jr. do?†John asks almost to scared to ask. “He came in 3rd, not bad, but he’s still off track. He ran loose all day, and Talladega, is a bad place to do thatâ€. Luke Tells him. “10-4 on that uncle, Me and Kylie, are gonna pull off, by the field, for a bit. Ya’ll need anything?†John comes back. “No, just take it easy on her son, she’s a good kid. And, uh don’t name him after me.†Luke, jokes with him. Kylie, takes the mic, “No danger of that, there’s enough jackasses, in the world without another Luke Duke.†Kylies tells him laughing. Just then, the radio breaks in, “She gotcha pegged, huh Luke? By the way John, if you want bring her by for dinner.†Debbie breaks in, as she’s coming back from the grocery store. ( Balladeer: for, those who missed it, the Dukes quit farming, because of low profits, and more mouths to feed…. Damn inflation!)

They pull up to the field. John climbs out of the car, and walks around to open Kylies door. He takes a blanket out of the back a boom box, handheld cb, and a six pack of Coke. They walk hand in hand, to the middle of the field. John spreads the blanket, on the ground. He tosses her a pack of smokes and a lighter. He chugs ½ a can of soda. “We’ll use this as an ashtrayâ€. John tells her. They sit down, on the blanket. “John, not to bring up a bad subject, but do you miss Alabama?†Kylie asks. “A bit, (he’s fumbling with the radio, to pull in the local station) but the farm was sold after my mom died, my grandparents died a few years ago, so I had no reason to stay. If I kept with my friends, I’d a been in prison, or the ground. They all ran shine, most of them got caught, and the one’s who didn’t went to work in the mill, for minimum wage. Neither, was a life that I wanted, so, I drove out here, to meet my father, and my new family. There got it (he got the radio fixed)â€. John tells her. The radio comes in clear, playing the newest Tim McGraw song. “Did, you run shine?†Kylie asks. “I took a few runs, with the money I made, went to keep us going, and to fix the mustang. I quit, after seeing a revenue agent, blow up my best friends car. He pulled out his gun, and shot the gas tank. He was so close to his car, that both him and my friend went up in flames. I decided then it was enough reason to stop.†John explains. “Are you on the runâ€, Kylie asks, as she lights up a cigarette. “No I made peace, with the sheriff, in Hueytown, he said that he knew that, we didn’t have any money, and had to make it somehow, so he gave me a fine. I paid it, then left town. The sheriff, was a nice guy, he never forgot what it was like to be poor. Enough of my sob story, how about you?†John tells her. “Well my father was a trucker, and my mom was a barmaid that worked with Daisy. They left for Arizona, and forgot to comeback, so I got sent to the orphanage. I went to school, with Jake. Daisy used to take me on Saturday afternoons, and get our hair done, watch movies. I even got to hang out with Bo and Luke, a few times. Then when I turned 18, I took a job in the hospital, in the maternity ward. That straightened me out. Then I tried to be good, but being a little young, you don’t make the right calls in life, and got my 2 idiots of ex boyfriends. (Kylie changes the subject trying not to tear up) You got it good, Bo is so cool, and Luke is nice, I just like to bust his chops a bit.†Kylie tells him. “Well one thing is sure, we both been put through hell, but heres to a new day. Maybe we can make heaven together.†John tells her. He leans in for a kiss. She backs him off. “Nobody kisses me unless they are my boyfriendâ€. Kylie warns. “You got it, just remember I am not like the other 2. I don’t hit women, and I don’t need a mother.†John warns her back. “You know that old song, ladies love outlaws? Waylon must of sung it about you. She whispers, as they lean in for a kiss. After about 30 seconds of kissing they break free. “You wanna come over for dinner, it is Daisy’s turn, so were in luck.†John asks. “Sounds like fun, lets radio in and find out what is for dinnerâ€. Kylie grabs the hand held, “Daisy, John and I are wondering, whats for dinner.†Kylie asks. “Ham, and fried potatoes, with macaroni salad.†Daisy replies. “Cool were on the wayâ€. John tells her. They bundle the stuff up and head back to the Admiral, and take off for the farm.

As they pull up Jake and Luke are working on the Trans am, that Jake is driving in the race. John skids the car, by the hood of the classic Pontiac. “Jakey, what’s this, I thought you were my wheelmanâ€, John asks. “I was, but I just made enough money to get the entry fee, so, I’m racing the Trans am, and I have Bo jr. as my wheelman.†Jake tells him. “Oh well, one more car to pass, ain’t nothing†John then parks the Admiral, next to the General. He walks in holding the hand of Kylie. Daisy looks over, and notices, but doesn’t anything. Bo walks in from the living room, “Kylie, haven’t seen you in months looks like you and John are getting along.†“We are Bo, actually were going steady, “ Kylie, bursts out. John just blushes and shuffles his boots on the floor. “That was quick. Bo, why don’t you and John go and get me a loaf of bread at the storeâ€. Daisy says as she shoo’s them out. John and Bo, leave. They jump in the General, “there’s a loaf of bread on the table, why are we going to the store?†John asks in a confused tone. “That’s code for girl talk, and trust me you wont wanna be in the room, they are going to talk about you, Daisy is motherly that way. Don’t be worried, she is a pro at this. She broke in Beth, and Debbieâ€. Bo explains.

“Kylie, John has been through a lot, be careful with him. He may seem like all car talk, but his heart isn’t nuts and bolts. You had it tough too, I know. But just remember, you both are damaged goods. So take it slow.†Daisy, tells her. “Oh, I know, he had it tough but I can handle him. I’ve seen his type before. But, I don’t wanna rush, the last time I rushed, look what happened.†The girls giggle.

Meanwhile, while coming back from Rhuebottom’s, Bo told John the same thing. “John just take it easy with her, she’s like an old car, partially hurt, and in need of major tlcâ€. “I know, I plan to. The last one hit like a hurricane, an left just as much damage.†John tells Bo. They stop at the garage, to pickup some tools for the race tomorrow. “You ready for the race tomorrow, it’s gonna be a tough ride.†Bo asks. “I should be, the problem is I’ll need a wheel man though. Jake, and Jr, are running together, I was planning to take Jake. I need someone who knows the layout of the area better than me. I was thinking of asking Mace Davenport, but he has his own car, and Derrick Jones is with him. I really wouldn’t ask Kylie, because she isn’t hot on the idea of me racing, plus of something happens I’ll never forgive myself. It, looks like I might have to sit this one out. You and Luke, are running together, and Daisy, Beth, and Debbie are doing the concession.†John tells him. “John, tell me, do you and Jr. get along ok.?†Bo asks. “Well we seem to be ok, he really don’t talk to me much, I guess I been so focused on the car and the garage, I lost track, of people.†John tells him. They power slide into farm. They jump out the car, and walk in the house. “Where have you two been, dinner’s been waitinâ€. Debbie asks. “We, had to get bread, and leave for the Daisy’s speech to Kylieâ€. Bo tells her. They sit down for dinner. (Balladeer- the race is tomorrow, John needs a wheelman. The boy needs help.)

• 3 weeks later...

PART 8: RACE DAY…….WE HOPE

After dinner John took Kylie back home, then he went to the garage to tune Admiral up. He knew he was going to pull an all nighter. He stops at Hogg-mart for some beer and cigarettes. Then he went to the garage to start his night of hell. It was a very hot night for some reason, and the clouds were an ugly shade of yellow. John has seen this before, he knew a storm was coming, and coming quick. He turned the cb on, and put it on the weather band. In an robotic voice, “For the counties of Choctaw, Hutchie, Fulton, and Hazzard, we have a severe thunderstorm warning. Gusting winds, within the range of 60 to 65 miles an hour, with hail, and severe downpours are expected. Do not go outside, or travel during this event. Heavy lighting is expected.†John lightly cusses, and thinks, he better call the farm, and warn them. He picks up his cell phone, and rings them up, “Dad, listen there is a heavy storm coming the nightly chores are done, try to keep everyone inside. “A storm huh, where is it now?†Bo asks calmly. John puts the phone near the speaker of the cb, and Bo hears this message “For the counties of Choctaw, Hutchie, Fulton, and Hazzard, we have a severe thunderstorm warning. Gusting winds, within the range of 60 to 65 miles an hour, with hail, and severe downpours are expected. Do not go outside, or travel during this event. Heavy lighting is expected.†“Well it’s sounds ugly, be careful in that garage. That old tin roof, is old, and not that strong. John there’s something I’ve wanting to say. (Bo pauses to collect his words) I’m real proud of you, and you staying with us. I’m sorry I missed out, on you growing up.†John, wipes away a tear, “Same here dad, don’t worry I ain’t grown up yet. What you say after the race, we take off for a while and do something?†“You pick the date and time, and I’ll be there. Just remember, what ever happens with that race is racing and not personal†Bo tells him. “Same here pal†John chuckles. “Dad, do you think we should tell Mr. Hogg, about the storm, that way he can get the message out on the TV, and radio?†John asks. “I’ll care of that, you just get that car ready†Bo tells him. John hangs up with Bo, and gets back to the car. After tuning the carburetor, and fighting to fit the new belts. He hears a clap of thunder that sounds like God, coming down from the mountain. As he takes the front tire off, his cell phone rings. “John, this is Kylie, storms scare the stuffing out of me, can I come over and stay there with you?†Kylie asks, as if she’s scared out of her wits. “Um, yeah come on over, better get here quickly. We have a shower, and bed if wanna sleep here and get ready for the race. Oh yeah, can you pick up some sandwiches from the diner, and a jug of coffee?†John tells her, distracted by the front brake he’s looking over. “Ok baby, I’ll bring some clothes, and food. I’ll bring a few packs of cigarettes, I think I’ll need themâ€. She tells him. Just then the wind really begins to pick up, and raining lightly. John, goes back his brake job. He finishes the front side, as he rolls the tires over to the bead breaker, his cell phone goes off again. He mutters, “I hate cell phones, (he answers), hello†“hey Johnny boy, I’m in Hazzard County, mind if I come over and grab a beerâ€. A strange voice tells him. “Jamie….Jamie Bush, you old outlaw, I’m at a garage in the middle of town It’s called Cooters garage. Good thing you called, we need to talkâ€. John tells him. John thinks to himself, that Jamie is the perfect wheelman. He then walks over to the chair, and turns on the radio, as he goes down the black highway in his memory, he lights a cigarette, and opens a beer.

“God, Jamie Bush, we used to run whiskey back home. He’s as big as a house, but a better driver you never ask for. He was 6’5 and 300 pounds of driving talent. I remember him grade school, as shy kid, always sitting by himself, usually reading a truck book. His father was a big time trucker, and always had stories from the time he went on the road with him. He always swore he would be a trucker just like his dad, but the poor kid, just never got it right on the road test he would always choke. He might not have made it with 18 wheels, but with 4 wheels, he passed the test first shot. He was the first of our friends to get his license. He drove this old beat up, GMC pickup. He was so proud of that truck. He used to fix every weekend in my barn. He was either messing with the engine, or tranny. One night, he put a new stereo, he thought he would be as cool as those city dudes. Until he put his big thumb thru the eject button, try to change sides of the tape. We got him into running shine with us, because his family like mine was dirt poor, and he needed the money. He loved the driving challenge, but the night he got caught he was mess. The federal agents, messed him over pretty hard. By the time he was tried, the agents had him beaten from stem to stern. The case got tossed, because they didn’t read him his rights, and the shine in the truck, was destroyed in the chase so they had no evidence. They ended up keeping his truck though. I think was more upset about that then anything else. The last I knew, he was working at the lumber yard loading the trucks, and milling lumber.†John is startled, by Kylie’s voice. “Baby you ok, you look like you were of in la la landâ€. She asks in a concerned voice. “Yeah, my friend Jamie is coming over for a bit. He’s a good guy.†John takes the food and coffee, and puts it on the desk. He then takes her by the hand, and leads her up to the old apartment. “Well sweetie here it is, le’ cooter’s shack. We have all your modern convience’s here. Couch, chair, bed, tv, with the optional cable and remote. Over there is the bathroom, and a hot plate for all of your culinary needs. The maid is by once every ten years, or when the mice are hungry“. John tells her. Kylie, is looking around, and she sees the craftsmen tool girl calendar from 1997, and a wall of beer cans. “This place looks like it could use a women’s touch, and a roach bomb, one thing is sure if we ever live together, you’ll need housekeeping lessons.†She tells him. She gives him a kiss, and shoo’s him outside so she can get a shower.

He, walks down the stairs and goes outside for some air. As he opens the door, a gust of wind and rain hit him in the face. As he looks up the road, enjoying the cold refreshing rain, he thinks on how he would love to help Kylie dry off. He regains his thoughts, long enough to see a red Dodge Ram, barreling down the street. He thinks nothing of the truck speeding down the road, and he walks back in the garage. He mutters to himself, “Time to get back to workâ€. As he breaks the bead on the tires, he hears an engine rumbling outside the garage. He looks outside, and sees the big red truck come to a stop. The door opens and Jamie, jumps down from the 4x4. Jamie looks like something from a Clint Eastwood western. Tall, lean, with a full beard dark western shirt, dark jeans and big black cowboy boots. Always with his Marlboro, sticking out of his mouth. John motions him inside the garage. Jamie gives him a hug around the neck. John adjusts his neck, “Well, you look the same as you were when I left. How you been?†“I been ok, the lumber yard gave me a vacation finally so I thought, I’d come out here and look you up. By the way you got one hell of a storm coming at’cha. It followed me all the way from the gulf, and it ain’t let up. The cb, has been going crazy, we got roads closed, trees down, wires down all over. The guy in the radio said it should clear up by tomorrow or the next day.†Jamie tells him, as he dries his hair off with a shop rag. “I hope the storm ends quicker than that, I have a race tomorrow.â€. John tells him. “Well, it’s 11:30, and it’s only getting worse, and unless this car has water wings your stuckâ€, Jamie tells John. “Speaking of the race, I need a spotter. My cousin was going to do it, but he decided to race, and my girlfriend won’t do it.†John asks. Jamie thinks it over for a minute “Sure I’ll do it†“Nice truck you got there Jamie, how’d you get that?†John asks. “Well an uncle passed up Michigan, and he left me some cash, so I bought this, and saved the rest. It’s a 2001 Dodge Ram, with a 5.7 Hemi, and all the toys.†Jamie tells him. Just then Kylie comes bouncing down the stairs. John, looks in awe, at his beautiful girlfriend. She was wearing a pink tank top, and blue sweat shorts, cut just above the knee. Her hair was still damp. She jumps from the second step, and lands on Johns back. “Ughhhh, God, what the hell just hit. It felt like a rabid mosquitoâ€. John turns his back, oh it’s you. He shifts her over, and give her a kiss. “Did you miss meâ€, she asks. “No not really, can’t miss what you see in your head all the timeâ€, John replies. Jamie just looks under the hood of the Monte Carlo. He starts to adjust the ignition, and the timing. “Hey Jamie, this pretty little thing here is my girlfriend Kylie†John tells him proudly. Jamie extends his hand, and shakes her hand. “Well is this the car, your running, it’s looks pretty but can it run?†Jamie asks. “Oh yeah it can run, this is nasty, better than the mustang we used to run. By the way the mustang, before you even ask, is destroyed. I tried to do a jump, and wrecked it bad. Damn near wrecked myself.†John tells him. “You dummy, that was good car. Leave it to you†. Jamie shoots back, laughing. “How much work does it need to run, the race?†Jamie asks while he studying the engine. “Actually just need to put the new tires on and rewire the battery to put the box in the front seat with us. So we can use it as a kill switch.†John tells while getting some tools. Just then the radio broke in with a special report, from JD Hogg. “The race for tomorrow is called on account of this storm. We will reschedule it for 3 days from now. Hazzard, will be closed all day that day for the race, so everybody come on out. The first hot dog and, pop is free. If you haven’t heard the news on it yet, take cover, and close the windows. This storm promises to be real bad. Folk in Alabama, are currently without power, and trees are down with wires down too. So everybody please be careful.†Then the radio went back to the Montgomery-Gentry song it was playing.

“Well that tears it up, the race is cancelled, well lets all hang here until it passes.â€, John moans. Jamie, shrugs, and walks to his trick, and grabs his bag. He then walks over to the table, and pours out a cup of coffee. “Hey, Johnny ease up, there hoss. An extra 3 days, is fine, I’ll be able to check the race course. Meanwhile, we can just hang out here for the night.†Jamie consoles him. He ambles up the stairs, for a quick shower. John goes over to the table, and makes a sandwich. Kylie pours him a cup of coffee. “Uh, John, how long have you and Jamie known each other?†Kylies asks trying to break the tension. “Gosh, babe I’ve known him for 20 years. He is the best wheelman, and spotter I ever saw. When we used to run these races back home, we used to switch off. I remember one night were making a run up to Brancton in Tennesee. He was driving, and I was spotting. With about 4 miles to go, he was 5th . He made up the time, he lost fixing a flat, and passed the leader in about 1 mile. The guy he passed, came up and hit the back bumper. Jamie spun the car around, put it in the dirt, went from 1st to 3rd in one shift. He then came up on his right side, and pressed the fender right in. Him and the other car were blocking everybody else. With about 100 yards to go, he slammed the brakes, grabs the gears and brings the car to the other cars left side, about then we were in a hard left curve. I looked in his eyes, and I saw a look of confidence, and ice. He taps the car in the side, and puts him in the weeds. By then the other cars were approaching. With 50 yards to go, he floored the Mustang, and all everyone saw was dust, and gravel. The kid can flat out drive. He has an eye for engines, and can tune them like a fine guitar. When we were kids he grew up, a lot like me. He was poor, but he made out ok. I’d just hate to pay his car insurance.†John tells her. By now Poor old Kylie, was wondering just what she got herself into with John. She, knows he isn’t like what he used to be. But she’s still concerned. “John, do you miss, those days in Alabama?†She asks. “No, just every once in awhile is it’s nice to visit the past. I don’t wanna go back to the old days. I enjoy not looking over my shoulder, and wondering who’s after me. If your thinking, that I’m going back to running shine, your nuts. There’s too much at risk. First thing, is prison, then what would it do to my family, and you. This is just a race. Besides I love you too much to lose you.†John, puts his arm around her shoulder as he tells her. By then Jamie came down the stairs, fresh from his shower. Kylie looked at John in shock. “Did I walk in on something I shouldn’t of†? Jamie asks. John shrugs no, and Kylie looks at John and gives him a kiss. The storm had passed over Hazzard, leaving little damage in it’s wake. Except the dirt roads, are nothing more than mud pits.

John, Jamie, and Kylie, spent the rest of night talking and reminiscing. By the end of the night, Kylie knew John was the right man for her. Meanwhile, John and Jamie, spent the night talking about old times, and people they knew. Kylie, was planning to settle John down, and trying to figure how to do it. All she knew, was it would take time and patients.