What's with the Vin# on this General Lee?

webmillions

before 1981 there was no standard as to vin format or length. It could be anywhere from 11-17 characters in length. As far as I know and from what I've found on DMV.org most vins contain both numbers and letters. It also says the places to look for a vin is:

1)At the front of the engine block. This should be easy to spot by popping open the hood, and looking at the front of the engine.

2)At the front of the car frame, near the container that holds windshield washer fluid.

3)At a rear wheel well. Try looking up, directly above the tire.

4)Inside the driver-side doorjamb. Open the door, and look underneath where the side-view mirror would be located if the door was shut.

5)At the driver-side doorpost. Open the door, and look near the spot where the door latches, not too far from the seatbelt return.

And

6)Underneath the spare tire.

3, 4, 5 and 6 would probably work for this car.

Also when you do find the VIN there are plenty of sites that allow you to check online for free. The NICB.org and CARFAX being two of them. Though I think Carfax has to be on cars made after 81.

Looking at the pictures you posted in another thread, the car is identified as a 1970 model. As far as I know they only used '68 and '69 models on the TV show. Regarding the VIN, and to add to Lizzy's information above, 1968-70 Chargers should have a 13 digit VIN that contains letters and numbers. The information below which appears in italics is from dodgechargers.tripod.com:

First Character: car line (Model)

Second Digit: price class (Submodel)

Third and Forth Digits: body stlye

XH29 is most likely for this car.

Fifth Character: engine type and size

G, L, N, U, V or R for 1970.

Sixth Digit: model year

For 1970 it should be 0.

Seventh Character: assembly plant

A, B, E or G.

Eighth to Thirteenth Digits: serial number

These always start from 100001.

For 1968-70 Chargers, the site says that the VIN plate "was located on the instrument panel's left-hand side all three years and for all models and body styles." I'm not sure what this tells us about the number you have, but it doesn't look like a correct VIN.

• 3 weeks later...

That is not a manufacturer VIN number. It could be that it has been issued a new VIN by a State. That has been known to happen when a car is a theft recovery, or when someone builds one from a shell that does not have its original dash/VIN plate, or other circumstances like that.

Jason