2014 NASCAR Race Review and Results

Garrett Duke

Did they rename this race? I don't seem to remember it being called Duck Commander 500 previously.

Last year the race was controversially sponsored by the NRA. For the previous eleven years the race was the Samsung/RadioShack 500 (2002–2006), the Samsung 500 (2007–2009) and the Samsung Mobile 500 (2010–2012). This year it's being sponsored by the family from Duck Dynasty!

Duck Dynasty stars to sponsor NASCAR race at Texas

Just in case anyone's wondering, today's race has been officially postponed due to rain. It will now take place tomorrow (Monday) at noon.

Am I the only one to see the irony in having a race sponsored by Duck Commander postponed by conditions that are sometimes described as "nice weather for ducks"! ;)

Well I say they come up with a new sponsor for this race then if the weather suits the Ducks. Something dry and warm. Maybe Sunblock can sponsor the Texas races?

Boy I am really failing this week. I didn't get to qualifying and didn't update on the dang weather. Just been bummed out about it...and had family over so a bit sidetracked.

As Rosco would say...Bad news, bad news! Race has been postponed til tomorrow at new on your local Fox station.

And to top it off...I have to work tomorrow so I won't be able to watch the race. Will try to write up a review whenever I get home tomorrow night upon what I read. (Do have to work at my part time job tomorrow night so will do my best...) Hope I will read about Jeff Gordon winning them six shooters. :D Perhaps this rain delay is so I can't jinx my Hendrick boys. ;)

Well Garrett, I hate to jump in here again, but I got to see most of the postponed race. I will admit I forget that postponed races start closer to the posted time, so I missed the first few laps. In this case the noon start suited my time zone, but it'll be a different story next week in Darlington when the 6:30 PM start means the racing will probably get under way around midnight my time!

The race started under caution. From what I've read, a couple of the drivers were allowed to make a pit stops to reset cowl flaps without losing their positions. The green flag racing didn't last long because Junior hit the turn 1 wall on lap 13 and spent the rest of the race in the garage. Jimmie Johnson's car picked up damage from the debris and got a flat tire a few laps later which put him two laps down.

The next section of the race was mainly led by Tony Stewart who was fighting with Kevin Harvick for first place. Because of the previous day's rain, there was a competition caution at lap 50. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. had made his way up to 20th before the caution, but after it he quickly dropped to around 28th where he spent most of the rest of the race.

There were green flag pits stops around lap 100, and NASCAR decided that a second competition caution wasn't needed. Tony Stewart dropped down the top ten allowing Brad Keselowski to take the lead with Denny Hamlin close behind. During this time, Jeff Gordon had been quietly making his way up the top ten, and managed to take the lead a couple of times before the halfway point. A few laps later, Denny Hamlin picked up a pit road penalty, but he managed to stay just outside the top ten.

There was another caution on lap 176 as Kurt Busch slid into the infield and left debris on the track. Jeff Gordon won the fight off pit road, but soon lost the lead to Brad Keselowski. Kurt Busch had another slide on lap 220, bringing out another caution.

There's not much to report for the next 100 or so laps. Then, just as Joey Logano was about to take the white flag, Kurt Busch hit the wall at turn 2. All the leaders pitted, and Brad Keselowski picked up a penalty for exiting too quickly. Trevor Bayne and Micheal Annett also got penalties for pitting too early. Jeff Gordon, who'd been running about 6th, gambled on only taking two tires, and came out in the lead. After the green flag he only held the lead for a short time before Joey Logano swept past and went on to take the green-white-checkered finish.

Here's how they all finished (#s in brackets indicate laps led):

1 Joey Logano (108)

2 Jeff Gordon (40)

3 Kyle Busch (10)

4 Brian Vickers

5 Kyle Larson

6 Greg Biffle

7 Matt Kenseth

8 Clint Bowyer (1)

9 Paul Menard

10 Tony Stewart (74)

11 Kasey Kahne

12 Aric Almirola

13 Denny Hamlin (20)

14 Carl Edwards

15 Brad Keselowski (85)

16 Ryan Newman

17 Jamie McMurray

18 Martin Truex Jr

19 Trevor Bayne

20 Marcos Ambrose

21 Austin Dillon

22 David Gilliland

23 AJ Allmendinger

24 Justin Allgaier

25 Jimmie Johnson

26 Ricky Stenhouse Jr

27 Danica Patrick

28 Casey Mears

29 Michael Annett

30 Michael McDowell

31 Cole Whitt

32 Alex Bowman

33 Reed Sorenson (1)

34 Landon Cassill

35 David Ragan

36 Josh Wise

37 Travis Kvapil

38 David Reutimann

39 Kurt Busch

40 Parker Kligerman

41 Dave Blaney

42 Kevin Harvick (1)

43 Dale Earnhardt Jr

According to the unofficial standings, Jeff Gordon now leads Matt Kenseth by four points with Jimmie Johnson down in seventh (although level on points with Junior in sixth).

Thanks Hoss for coming to my rescue...again. I am the ultimate failure this week. I listened to most of the race at work and got home to watch the last five laps or so. Am happy with second, but he really needs that win that he was so close to getting. LOL

I am super excited to see Jeff Gordon's name on top of the point standings...even if it is by four points. But as of right now, the points don't mean NOTHING thanks to NASCAR's new Chase format. I came into this season not liking the new Chase set up and with each race that goes by, the more I don't like it. So for Gordon has had a pretty good and solid season and has been very consistant. But thanks to the new set up they have, that means absolutely NOTHING. Gordon can run second for the rest of the season and not make it into the Chase, because right now, all that matters is WINS. OK I get it, really I do. Wins are important. They always have been and they should be. But, there has to be something said for the drivers that are consistantly good or in the top five or ten race in and race out.

Berfore, if a driver missed a race, it was a huge deal because they had a lot of work to do in order to make the Chase. Now, like Denny Hamlin who missed a race last week, he can make it into the Chase easy. All he has to do is get a win. Which is good for him, I guess because he shouldn't be punished for being hurt or sick by points. But there is also something said about every race meaning something. Every race earning something. Right now a driver can have 20 bad races and a couple of wins and make it into the Chase. The driver who runs consistantly in the top ten for twenty races or so misses it because he doesn't have a win. Just seems so wrong to me.

And DW and the other announcers did make a point last week when Keselowski got mad at Kurt Busch and missed a whole bunch of laps and came out and went after Kurt...that since Keselowski had that one win, he doesn't have anything to lose by going after Kurt. So once they have a win or two under their belt, they are already considering themselves in the Chase and don't have nothing to lose. Even Jr made a statement after his win at the 500...that he feels better knowing he is now in the Chase. One race into the books and he already knows he will be in the Chase. (Which, being a Jr fan, am happy about.) But the fact that one win enters you into the Chase just seems so wrong and well, I don't like it.

Yeah Gordon is in first place in points right now. Yes he is off to a great start to this season. But he is winless. So his great season means absolutely NOTHING without a win to back him up.

As is Johnson at this point.

So I guess for now I will celebrate and be happy with Gordon's points and how consistant he is...and with how he has ran this season so far, I am almost willing to admit that that win is around the corner. But won't be too excited, too happy, or too relaxed about this season until that win comes.

Yeah I am starting to think that Brian France should resign and give me the reigns to NASCAR...I will be glad to point NASCAR back on track to the great sport it is. I will always love NASCAR and will try to find the positive side to it, but it doesn't mean I have to agree to this new point system. And yeah, I pointed out Gordon's season...but I would feel that way no matter who my favorite driver is. And of course...all that is my opinion. Would be glad to hear what y'all think of the new system???

BTW...18 year old Chase Elliot won his first Nationwide Series race at Texas this past weekend. He drivers for JR Motorsports and has done great so far in his rookie Nationwide Series season. He is the son of Bill Elliot who is a retired NASCAR driver. Hendrick has kinda taken Chase under his wing as he moved along in his young racing career. I have been keeping tabs of Chase through Facebook and so forth on how he is doing and am glad to see him in the Nationwide...he seems to have a lot of talent in him. He is also the driver that is said to be the one to take over the 24 car once Jeff Gordon hangs up his helmet and retires from NASCAR. What a sad day that will be...

Back up there. I thought points do mean something? The way I read the rules in the chase format was the top 15 drivers with the most wins get the first 15 slots and then the 16th slot goes to the driver with the most points after 26 races? so points are still kinda important.

maybe I'm wrong but that's the way I read it.

Kevin Harvick has just claimed pole for the Bojangles' Southern 500 at Darlington - he was also quickest in practice 1. Just for a change, Brad Keselowski starts all the way back in fifth! Garrett, I'm afraid it's mixed news for your drivers - Jeff Gordon starts in ninth, but Jimmie Johnson failed to make it through the first round of qualifying. Jimmie starts in 26th, two places ahead of Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

Lizzy, you've probably told us already, but which driver(s) do you go for?

Here's the full lineup:

1 Kevin Harvick

2 Joey Logano

3 Aric Almirola

4 Marcos Ambrose

5 Brad Keselowski

6 Jamie McMurray

7 Ryan Newman

8 Kyle Busch

9 Jeff Gordon

10 Denny Hamlin

11 Paul Menard

12 Martin Truex Jr

13 Kurt Busch

14 Brian Vickers

15 Dale Earnhardt Jr

16 Clint Bowyer

17 Kyle Larson

18 AJ Allmendinger

19 Greg Biffle

20 Austin Dillon

21 Carl Edwards

22 Kasey Kahne

23 Tony Stewart

24 Justin Allgaier

25 Matt Kenseth

26 Jimmie Johnson

27 David Gilliland

28 Ricky Stenhouse Jr

29 Josh Wise

30 Michael Annett

31 Casey Mears

32 David Ragan

33 Danica Patrick

34 Alex Bowman

35 Landon Cassill

36 Dave Blaney

37 David Stremme

38 Parker Kligerman

39 Ryan Truex

40 Reed Sorenson

41 Travis Kvapil

42 Cole Whitt

43 Joe Nemechek

Only David Reutimann failed to qualify.

Remember y'all, this is a Saturday race at 6:30 PM ET on Fox.

For the past couple years I've been a fan of Kyle Busch. I've started pulling for Austin Dillon this year as well. He's been doing pretty good for being a Sprint Cup Rookie.

You're right. Austin Dillon has been driving well this year, as has fellow rookie Kyle Larson. I still have to think twice to remember that JPM is no longer driving the #42 car :).

Thanks Hoss for covering once again. Yeah I am happy that Gordon will start in the top ten...but disappointed to see Johnson start way back there. HOpefully he will have a fast and strong car to get up there tonight.

Dillon is having a strong year so far...which I am happy with since he is on my money fantasy NASCAR league. Him and Larson. ;) Plus I have my Hendrick boys...and Edwards. They all better have good years. :D

Lizzy - you are right about the points, but unless Gordon can stay at top all regular season long without a win, he doesn't have much of a chance. No matter how good or consistant he is. He has had a solid year so far so I don't see him going winnless, but just feel that NASCAR has put too much weight on wins and not enough on consitancy. I understand wins are important and each driver should go out there for the win...NASCAR shouldn't have to put such weight on wins to motivate the drivers to win. If that makes sense.

Talking about rookies...y'all see who won his second race in a row in the Nationwide Series? CHASE ELLIOT is the youngest driver to win at Darlington. He got his first win in Nationwide last week...and backed it up Friday night with another win. Am super excited for Chase and to see him doing so well. That kid's got talent!

Lizzy - you are right about the points, but unless Gordon can stay at top all regular season long without a win, he doesn't have much of a chance. No matter how good or consistant he is. He has had a solid year so far so I don't see him going winnless, but just feel that NASCAR has put too much weight on wins and not enough on consitancy. I understand wins are important and each driver should go out there for the win...NASCAR shouldn't have to put such weight on wins to motivate the drivers to win. If that makes sense.

I can see the point of making drivers try to get wins (F1 gives 25 points for first and only 18 for second to try and acheive this), but a few more consistent drivers should be rewarded too.

They're playing with the points in F1 this year too. The last race has taken place in Brazil for the last few years, but this year the season finishes in Abu Dhabi and the race scores double points. Bernie Ecclestone (the boss of F1) wanted the last three races to score double, but the plan received a unanimous "no" vote at a meeting earlier this year.

Well...I missed the first two hundred laps last night of the race, but did get to watch the last half of the race. Darlington is known as earning it's stripes and it earned at least nineteen if not more throughout the night. Including Kasey Kahne who was leading the race when I turned it on and had to take it to the garage later on. Paul Menard had a rough night as his tire caught fire at one point and then later on caused another caution...can't recall why. I assume he hit the wall as well.

Jeff Gordon sounded like he had a solid car last night but he was better on the long run and was HORRIBLE at restarts last night. He led some laps but fell back at the end of the race to finish seventh. Jimmie Johnson started 26th and came back to contend for the win only to come up short.

For the first time this centurty, the winner won from the pole. Kevin Harvick won from the pole with a dominant car. I am not sure at the moment am sure he got the max points yesterday. And this being his second win of the season he is pretty much garaunteed into the Chase.. Eight races in and already in the Chase...

Clint Boywer surely didn't make any new friends last night with Kurt Busch...as he spun him into the wall and ended his night. Kurt was obviously mad and according to the announcers so was Bowyer as he accused Busch of lifting. Though from what I saw it looked like Bowyer spinning Kurt Busch out. Hopefully for Clint's sake that the weekend off will calm Kurt off before Richmond. Though if memory serves me correctly,(I may have a faulty memory, but not when it comes to NASCAR. LOL. I remember Kurt taking Gordon out a few years ago saying it was for what happened several races earlier...) I am pretty sure Kurt has a good memory when it comes to things like this and he is a driver who is not afraid to give a little pay back. Personally I am not a fan of either driver (Clint or Kurt) but do have to take Kurt's side in this incident. There was no need for that to happen...

Here is the official results:

1. Kevin Harvick

2. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

3. Jimmie Johnson

4. Matt Kenseth

5. Greg Biffle

6. Kyle Busch

7. Jeff Gordon

8. Kyle Larson

9. Tony Stewart

10. Ryan Newman

11. Austin Dillon

12. Clint Bowyer

13. Carl Edwards

14. Marcos Ambrose

15. AJ Allmendinger

16. Jamie McMurray

17. Brad Keselowski

18. Casey Mears

19. Denny Hamlin

20. Ricky Stenhouse Jr

21. Josh Wise

22. Danica Patrick

23. Justin Allgaier

24. Aric Almirola

25. Landon Cassill

26. Brian Vickers

27. Martin Truex Jr.

28. David Gilliland

29. Alex Bowman

30. Parker Kligerman

31. Kurt Busch

32. David Ragen

33. Travis Kvapil

34. Joe Nemechek

35. Joey Logano

36. David Stremme

37. Kasey Kahne

38. Cole Whitt

39. Reed Sorenson

40. Ryan Truex

41. Paul Menard

42. Michael Annett

43. Dave Blaney

Well NASCAR has an off weekend next weekend for Easter. I hope you all will have a great Easter. :) Next race will be at Richmond in two weeks...

And as a positive note...Gordon is still number one in points going into the off season. Though the announcers and I think Gordon said during the post race show last night that he needs to win to get in...and that first in points right now means little when it comes to the Chase. :( But for the time being, I will stay positive and be happy with the points at this moment of time. At least for a couple of weeks he'll be first in points. :D

• 2 weeks later...

The qualifying for tomorrow night's Toyota Owners 400 got rained out tonight, so the starting lineup is being based on the times in practice 1. That means pole for Kyle Larson who will lead the field at the green flag, even though he doesn't get an official Coors Light Pole Award.

Garrett, I'm afraid that points-leader Jeff Gordon starts back in 25th (he was 14th in practice 2), but his HMS team mates Jimmie Johnson and Dale Earnhardt Jr start 10th and 13th. Lizzie, you've got Kyle Busch starting 19th and Austin Dillon back in 27th. Ricky Stenhouse Jr starts two places behind Austin Dillon.

1 Kyle Larson

2 Brad Keselowski

3 Clint Bowyer

4 Kasey Kahne

5 Kevin Harvick

6 Brian Vickers

7 Jamie McMurray

8 Ryan Truex

9 Paul Menard

10 Jimmie Johnson

11 Marcos Ambrose

12 Matt Kenseth

13 Dale Earnhardt Jr

14 AJ Allmendinger

15 Aric Almirola

16 Carl Edwards

17 Joey Logano

18 Ryan Newman

19 Kyle Busch

20 Tony Stewart

21 Kurt Busch

22 Martin Truex Jr

23 Michael Annett

24 Alex Bowman

25 Jeff Gordon

26 Greg Biffle

27 Austin Dillon

28 Denny Hamlin

29 Ricky Stenhouse Jr

30 David Reutimann

31 Justin Allgaier

32 Travis Kvapil

33 David Gilliland

34 Casey Mears

35 Danica Patrick

36 Reed Sorenson

37 David Ragan

38 David Stremme

39 Josh Wise

40 Cole Whitt

41 Joe Nemechek

42 J.J. Yeley

43 Landon Cassill

Weather permitting, the action from the Richmond International Raceway starts tomorrow (Saturday) at 7:00 PM ET. It's live on Fox.

Well Hoss...haven't you heard that it doesn't matter where they start, but where they finish? I turned it on, on lap six...but I heard that Clint Bowyer is back to being Bowyer and wrecked Larson on lap number one...Gordon may have started 26th...he was 22nd when I turned it on. Bet y'all can't guess where he is now...he is now sitting at third on lap 88. So far, so good for team 24...as well as team Hendrick! :D

Well the race has just ended...and well I don't know where to start or how to feel about it. I turned it on on lap six...Kyle Larson had started it and heard that Clint Bowyer wrecked him on the first lap...he came home sixteenth (Larson)...Bowyer ended up finishing dead last at 43rd.

Tires seemed to be an issue. I believe it was Reed Sorenson who had issues where his tire caught fire, got parts of fiery tire on the track...he came back out and had to go to the garage. While did that, Clint Bowyer had the same issues and while his tire was still on fire left pit road only for it wreck him into the wall and take him to the garage. Josh Wise had the same issue as well.

Sorry to say Hoss...Ricky Stenhouse Jr suffered the same fate as his tire caught fire. Though really don't understand him and other drivers why they don't pit when they have an issue. When Stenhouse Jr. had problems they just went into caution and the pits were closed...and if he went to pits he would have had to be held back a lap. So I understand that part of it, but better do that than to wreck your car all up and catch on fire as Stenhouse did. Sorry Hoss...nothing against Stenhouse Jr...Bowyer did the same sort of thing and it just don't make sense to me. Take the consequence of pitting instead of wrecking your whole car as well as risking everyone else and making more cautions. Just sayin'...

Jeff Gordon started 25th and went on to lead the most laps of 173...I am extremely happy of that...but disappointed that he came home second when it should be him in victory lane right now. Second is great and love the extreme effort Gordon and his crew gave today...as always. But when all that matters is wins this year...well it makes it a bit more disappointing. Gordon had a great car on long runs...which is where it probably costed him.

Jimmie Johnson had a couple rounds of tire issues and still remains winless to this season.

The end of the race was beyond crazy to me. Matt Kenseth was leading, Gordon was second, and I think Logano third when Keselowski came up to make himself known by going after Kenseth and Gordon. Kenseth blocked Keselowski (which they all do). Keselowski got mad and bumped into the back of Kenseth. . .letting Keselowski's teammate Joey Logano to get his second win of the season.

After the race Keselowski got MAD at Kenseth and confronted him. Which I don't understand. I am not a fan of either Keselowski or Kenseth, but Keselowski had no reason to get upset at Kenseth. It should have been Kenseth mad if anyone.

If that wasn't exciting enough...back in the garage area, the camera showed Casey Mears grab Australian Marcos Ambrose to pull him aside and was in Ambrose's face...Ambrose didn't have none of it and PUNCHED Casey in the face (and as one of the announcers said, obviously made contact because Mears kinda fell back and came up rubbing his eye.) before their crews started to get into it. And sadly, at this point, don't really know what it was about. I watched the post race show and they talked about it and showed it, but never explained why. I am sure penalties will be handed out on Monday and maybe they will say then...I heard another NASCAR fan say on Facebook (rather read it...) that Ambrose ran into Mears on the race track. But as I said, no one said anything about why on TV...maybe the reporters/announcers didn't even know why. It is extremely surprising to see those two drivers get into it like that (Keselowski is known to get into conflicts and to get upset...so that wasn't surprising. Just surprising to see him get upset when it was him that had acted out on the track, not Matt. My opinion...). Both Ambrose and Mears are very quiet and respectful drivers and never cause any trouble and to see them both fighting each other and with such force is way surprising to me and will be sad to see either driver get punished. Even if Ambrose ran into Mears (and I know tempers are high at short track racing...it was a long night for them I am sure and the end of the race is stressful...) I can't see that as a reason to get as upset as Mears was or seemed to be before he got punched. As I said, Ambrose is an respectable driver...if he did ran into Mears, I am willing to bet it wasn't done on purpose. But obviously...they were both upset at the end of the race. LOL.

Here is the official results to the Richmond race:

1. Joey Logano

2. Jeff Gordon

3. Kyle Busch

4. Brad Keselowski

5. Matt Kenseth

6. AJ Allmendinger

7. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

8. Ryan Newman

9. Carl Edwards

10. Martin Truex Jr.

11. Kevin Harvick

12. Brian Vickers

13. Jamie McMurray

14. Kasey Kahne

15. Greg Biffle

16. Kyle Larson

17. Aric Almirola

18. Marcos Ambrose

19. Casey Mears

20. David Gilliland

21. Justin Allgaeir

22. Denny Hamlin

23. Kurt Busch

24. Paul Menard

25. Tony Stewart

26. Landon Cassill

27. Austin Dillon

28. Alex Bowman

29. David Reutimann

30. David Ragen

31. Ryan Truex

32. Jimmie Johnson

33. Michael Annett

34. Danica Patrick

35. David Stremme

36. Travis Kvapil

37. Joe Nemechek

38. Ricky Stenhouse Jr

39. Josh Wise

40. JJ Yeley

41. Cole Whitt

42. Reed Sorenson

43. Clint Bowyer

I am not a Tony Stewart fan, but do kinda keep an eye on him since he does run on Hendrick engines. Find it sad to see him have such a hard time at the beginning of this season. He missed a lot of time last season due to an leg injury he suffered in a sprint race in Iowa and he has yet to seem to be back to racing like the old Tony Stewart.

Well the tempers may have ran high for a few drivers tonight...but tempers are bound to run hotter next weekend as they go back to restrictor plate racing at Talladega. . .

And despite not getting his well fought for win tonight...Jeff Gordon remains the point leader by five points over Matt Kenseth. ;)

Thanks for the summary, Garrett. I watched/listened to most of the race, but had to give up at around 330 laps in because I was too tired (it was somewhere around 3 AM here!). I saw Ricky's tire problem, and he was already five laps down when I turned the race off. He'd spent most of the race down in the low thirties, so I didn't think it would be his night anyway. I hope his form picks up because he hasn't had a good race for a while.

The end of the race was beyond crazy to me. Matt Kenseth was leading, Gordon was second, and I think Logano third when Keselowski came up to make himself known by going after Kenseth and Gordon. Kenseth blocked Keselowski (which they all do). Keselowski got mad and bumped into the back of Kenseth. . .letting Keselowski's teammate Joey Logano to get his second win of the season.

After the race Keselowski got MAD at Kenseth and confronted him. Which I don't understand. I am not a fan of either Keselowski or Kenseth, but Keselowski had no reason to get upset at Kenseth. It should have been Kenseth mad if anyone.

[...]

Well the tempers may have ran high for a few drivers tonight...but tempers are bound to run hotter next weekend as they go back to restrictor plate racing at Talladega. . .

And despite not getting his well fought for win tonight...Jeff Gordon remains the point leader by five points over Matt Kenseth. ;)

Want to correct you on a minor thing here, Keselowski was four when they restarted the last time as Junior was second and Gordon was third. Gordon hit the brakes coming to the end of pit road after the last caution so he could restart third.

The reason Keselowski hit Kenseth's rear was because not only did Kenseth block him, which he was also doing to Gordon, gotta give him some props for blocking two cars at once, but Kenseth also ran Keselowski up into the wall. Squeezed him right into the wall. I don't have a problem with him blocking and neither did Keselowski as he said in a post race interview but Brad didn't like being run up into the wall. He wouldn't have been so hot under the collar if Kenseth had won off a move like that but since he didn't win it was just wasn't right. I was totally expecting Gordon to slip under them both when they were bumping and shoving but it seems Logano got the jump instead.

Like you said we're off to Talladega next week and that's all that matters.

Maybe so. I am not a Kenseth fan nor a Keselowski fan so I am not sticking up for anyone...but I don't think Kenseth did anything that any other driver wouldn't have do in his position. Even Keselowski. You get the lead it is your job to protect your lead. Keselowski did put out on Facebook that he needed time to cool off and once did was able to see it more clear or something like that. Which I respect that he was able to come forth and say that. It is easy to react in the heat of the moment...ask Ambrose and Mears. ;)

Tomorrow will be the first knock out qualifying for a restrictor plate...kinda scary to see what will happen. Sadly I don't have cable and my parents' TV broke so will not be able to watch it...so I will be reading up to see where everyone starts I guess. Am looking forward to Talladega.

This week we're back to Sunday daytime racing (which suits me better) with the Aaron's 499 from the Talladega Superspeedway. I didn't get to see the qualifying earlier, so I'm only going by what I've read.

As Garrett said above, this was the first restrictor plate race to use the new qualifying format, and it turned up some unusual results. Brian Scott scored his first pole in his fifth Sprint Cup start. Rookie Austin Dillon starts in fifth (which should please Lizzy), and Danica Patrick is only two places back in seventh. Garrett, it looks like Jeff Gordon's 11th is the best for your drivers, with Jimmie Johnson down in 20th. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. seems to be making a habit of qualifying in the mid-20s - I hope he has a better race this week.

Kasey Kahne and Martin Truex Jr failed post-qualifying technical inspections and will start at the back of the field. More info here.

1 Brian Scott

2 Paul Menard

3 AJ Allmendinger

4 Casey Mears

5 Austin Dillon

6 Ryan Newman

7 Danica Patrick

8 Kevin Harvick

9 Kurt Busch

10 Carl Edwards

11 Jeff Gordon

12 Tony Stewart

13 Brad Keselowski

14 Michael McDowell

15 Aric Almirola

16 Joey Logano

17 Michael Annett

18 Brian Vickers

19 Kyle Busch

20 Jimmie Johnson

21 Matt Kenseth

22 Reed Sorenson

23 Trevor Bayne

24 Ryan Truex

25 Ricky Stenhouse Jr

26 Marcos Ambrose

27 Clint Bowyer

28 Michael Waltrip

29 Kyle Larson

30 Dale Earnhardt Jr

31 Cole Whitt

32 Jamie McMurray

33 Alex Bowman

34 Denny Hamlin

35 Greg Biffle

36 Josh Wise

37 Terry Labonte

38 Justin Allgaier

39 David Ragan

40 David Gilliland

41 Landon Cassill

42 Kasey Kahne

43 Martin Truex Jr

The race is this Sunday at 1:00 PM ET. It's live on Fox.

Well y'all the pre race show is on, on FOX right now. Love the pre race show on FOX...love the FOX announcers. They make it fun and exciting. Guess, once again, that is my petty opinion. . .I wish they'd show all races on FOX.

Aw well....just before we get to racing, I think I will try to overcome my failure in reporting NASCAR's call upon the fight between Marcos Ambrose and Casey Mears after the Richmond race last week. (Sorry...I didn't forget, just didn't get time to get on the computer long enough to write it...)

NASCAR has fined Marcos Ambrose $25,000 while they fined Casey Mears $15,000...both on probation until May 28th. Which I guess that is better than what I was expecting, but at the same time, feel like it was unnecessary. Both Ambrose and Mears talked before the punishment was handed out and was OK with each other. It was a one time deal. None of the drivers are known for fighting or causing trouble. A warning would have done well...but if they want to punish them, why punish Marcos more than Casey? Sure Marcos threw the punch, but he threw it because Casey shoved him and was yelling at him...he wouldn't have thrown it if Casey hadn't shoved him like that. Besides...all that fighting (not that I agree with this because I don't go for the fighting...) is good for NASCAR. Brings attention to it...just look at the Cale Yarborough fight at Daytona...they still talk about it.

Back to Talladega...Talladega is known as the big one...scary accidents. I pray that everyone will have a safe race today. Gordon has the most wins here for active drivers with six wins...and personally hope gets his seventh today. First he has to stay clear of all the accidents...love Talladega, but could live without the accidents. They get pretty scary...

I will write a post race report when the race ends...

Well I don't know how well my review will be...my TV just went blank with thirty or so laps to go. Perhaps it is for the best. Not a good race for this 24 fan and am not too happy right now.

Danica Patrick led some laps early on...and on the tenth lap or so, Brad Keselowski tried passing her, but didn't clear her and wrecked himself and put him six laps down.

After that, it was pretty calm for Talladega. They even had a green flag pit stop!

But with forty or so laps to go Keselowski (who was 43rd!) had issues or what not and got into David Ragen who took out Jeff Gordon, Matt Kenseth and had at least 20 cars involved. As I said, this 24 fan is not too happy right now, but that is all I will say at the moment of what had happened...

Sorry my review is so horrible right now. As I said, the TV went out and is preventing me from watching the rest of the race. With my man back in the garage really hope JJ or Jr will bring home the trophy. . .bring something good out of this mess they call a race. As much as I love racing and I do like restrictor plate racing to a point...just hate that they become more like demolition derby at points like this. One man's mistake makes everyone pay for it. Just frustrating...but that is Talladega and I am ready to move to the first night race at Kansas next Saturday night.

Well I don't know how well my review will be...my TV just went blank with thirty or so laps to go. Perhaps it is for the best. Not a good race for this 24 fan and am not too happy right now.

Danica Patrick led some laps early on...and on the tenth lap or so, Brad Keselowski tried passing her, but didn't clear her and wrecked himself and put him six laps down.

After that, it was pretty calm for Talladega. They even had a green flag pit stop!

But with forty or so laps to go Keselowski (who was 43rd!) had issues or what not and got into David Ragen who took out Jeff Gordon, Matt Kenseth and had at least 20 cars involved. As I said, this 24 fan is not too happy right now, but that is all I will say at the moment of what had happened...

Sorry my review is so horrible right now. As I said, the TV went out and is preventing me from watching the rest of the race. With my man back in the garage really hope JJ or Jr will bring home the trophy. . .bring something good out of this mess they call a race. As much as I love racing and I do like restrictor plate racing to a point...just hate that they become more like demolition derby at points like this. One man's mistake makes everyone pay for it. Just frustrating...but that is Talladega and I am ready to move to the first night race at Kansas next Saturday night.

Well the dang TV put itself on Sleep for some reason...looks like I missed Jimmie Johnson getting lose and getting into Stenhouse Jr and other drivers. When I turned it on, Carl Edwards who was having tire issues and no where to go, got lose and into other drivers...and with one lap to go, a foot before the white flag dropped, Justin Allgaier caused a wreck...NASCAR finally threw the caution while under white where it finishes the race. Denny Hamlin just won his 24th career Sprint Cup win.

Other drivers right now are unofficial and I need to run out to my parents' house...but thought I would at least recap the end of the race. We are going back to night racing at Kansas next Saturday night...

...looks like I missed Jimmie Johnson getting lose and getting into Stenhouse Jr and other drivers. When I turned it on, Carl Edwards who was having tire issues and no where to go, got lose and into other drivers...

Ricky Stenhouse Jr. was running a solid 10th when Jimmie Johnson hit him. He came back out in about 20th, but was almost taken out by his team mate, Carl Edwards. He finished a provsional 12th, but I felt he should have finished higher after running as high as 2nd in the middle of the race - not bad considering he slipped back to last soon after the start.

I liked the commentators' description near the end when they said that Jamie McMurray had received a whole litter of lucky dogs today :).