Herbie Goes Bananas | Golden Oaks Movie Ranch question

Roth Potter

When I was watching Herbie Goes Bananas some time ago I saw a scene which looked to have been taken on the Golden Oaks Movie Ranch.

11564484986_f1fdc30281_o.jpg

Can you imagine they try to enter this bug in the Brazil Grand Primeo Formula One race?

Then after watching the movie I went to www.imdb.com and in the trivia section it said this "The only classic Herbie film to not be shot at the Golden Oaks Ranch".

From their older movies I know that they used the pond and a tree at the Ranch.

When I saw this scene, which is very short. The mountains look like California while the movie is set in Brazil.

My knowledge about Golden Oaks isn't as good as Valencia Oaks so I was wondering if the people who are reading this can answer the question if this is taken at Golden Oaks or somewhere else in california.

Here are two more screens of the scene just taken behind the little building.

11564725223_32688136e3_o.jpg

11564618044_557b0d4b29_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

Roth, I'm sorry my reply has taken so long, but I've finally watched my way through all four of the original Herbie movies. The DVD extra on 'The Love Bug' actually mentions filming at Golden Oak Ranch. I think the ranch only appears in 'Herbie Rides Again' during flashbacks to the first movie. The Golden Oak Ranch, including the lake, was used again in 'Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo'. I was amused at how many times they went around the old Loews Hairpin near the end of that movie :).

Getting back to your question, the scene you asked about was definitely filmed at Golden Oak Ranch. Here's the plane taking off:

HerbieGB1.jpg

Compare it to this image from Google Earth - the hills are a perfect match:

HerbieGB2.jpg

The makeshift airstrip would have been roughly in the middle of this area. I assume that the barrier to the right of the plane (see my first picture above) was built to try and hide the Antelope Valley Freeway which can be seen in the distance as the plane takes off.

HerbieGB3.jpg

At the time of filming, the area was much more open, as you can see in this 1980 aerial view from.

HerbieGB4.jpg

On a sadder note, the red and white plane used in 'Herbie Goes Bananas' was destroyed in a fatal crash at a Valencia air show in 1984 - NTSB report here.

Roth, I'm sorry my reply has taken so long

Better late then never. :tup:

but I've finally watched my way through all four of the original Herbie movies.

That must have taken some time. :-o

The DVD extra on 'The Love Bug' actually mentions filming at Golden Oak Ranch.

Yes, I've seen that too. There are some very nice pictures of the beetle being suspended above the lake at Golden Oaks.

I think the ranch only appears in 'Herbie Rides Again' during flashbacks to the first movie.

Have you noticed Sheriff Little is in this movie?

The Golden Oak Ranch, including the lake, was used again in 'Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo'. I was amused at how many times they went around the old Loews Hairpin near the end of that movie :).

The lake then probably was in the scene when Herbie gets his girlfriend out of the mud and the time the two crooks drove through the camp.

Yes, it's very funny to see them drive so many times through the hairpin now I am a fan of Formula One. I had have never noticed this before I was a fan of F1. Also, very funny how long the tunnel is too. :wink: There you can see how old this movie really is, the tunnel was gone in 1975/76.

Bernard Fox who played the thief Max in this movie also appears on Dukes as butler Iggins of the Comfurts family in the episode 'Southern Comfurts' S02E23.

Thank you for confirming the the location, I've updated the imdb.com page about it. :)

I didn't expect you would track down the plane used though. :-o Very sad indeed.