Need ideas now!

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm getting a little depressed that the HazzardNet seems to be past its prime. I know we've had ups and downs here but this downturn in posts seems to be a little more serious than the down cycles we've had in the past.

Don't get me wrong, there's still some great things going on here, like Roth and Hoss's behind the scenes thread and Garrett's very active NASCAR threads but overall this place has gotten slower than a snail running on fumes and two flat tires in molasses. We need to find a way to do something about it. Let's use this thread to kick around some ideas.

My first idea is to revive the trivia thread so that's what I'm going to do.

My next idea is a suggestion to the moderators. Is there any way the behind the scenes thread can be moved up to one of the forums toward the top? I suspect that some casual users never scroll down that far and that thread is an amazing asset to the HazzardNet and is of headline quality.

Okay folks let's hear it.

Well, I got one suggestion but I think it's not do-able. There are too many sections on the forum, It sometimes feels like a maze to me. If there would be a possibility to make sub-forums It would be great, for example now all the actors are in one block like thing. I think it would be better if there one block saying cast/characters, you click on it and then you can select which cast/characters forum you want to see, this would make it more organised and user friendly.

The more I think about my post earlier today the more I realize we're dealing with a problem here that is bigger than simply tweaking the forums a little bit to improve them.

My big concern is that interest in the Dukes of Hazzard is fading and that's why we're not seeing as many people log in. There is a chance I'm wrong though. I think the idea was floating around awhile ago that facebook and twitter have taken over and more people have moved to those type of things. This concerns me because I'm not interested in those two things. We have a great thing with our forums and I'd like to see if we can revive it to its glory days. Since I don't understand the facebook and twitter world maybe I'm fighting an uphill battle. Maybe the world of forums is coming to an end. It's a scary thought and that is why I was reluctant to start this post but ignoring the problem won't make it better.

I think the idea was floating around awhile ago that facebook and twitter have taken over and more people have moved to those type of things.

Yeah, for sure Facebook and Twitter "stole" people from various Forums (not only this one). I use Facebook, I have my page and I created one devoted to Enos Strate.... but a Forum is something totally different. In FB you can't talk the same way than in a Forum, in my opinion.

Anyway, Roger, you pointed out something I also was noticing, and that saddens me.

I find scaring the absence of Moderators, for example. I know people are busy with real life, any of us has his real life, but... I don't understand this silence.

You know, I decided to write fanfic thanks this Forum (and thanks to the great Round Robins ongoing) and I remember the great challenges (I had a lot of ideas from them).

I admit I also "abandoned" this Forum for a while (I read the posts but I didn't join in), too much focused in my writing, whereas now I'm finding back the passion for the TV-show, above fanfics.

I'm here since 2007, and, thinking at those times, yeah, this Forum seems now as DEAD. It's sad. :cry:

And I don't know what to do to "revive" it. I keep on skimming it, posting something here and there, and linking my stories, but... it seems it isn't enough.

SO, I'M GOING TO MAKE A PLEA TO GUESTS!!! Come on guys, I know you're out there, looking at old and new posts, several "guests" reaching the Forum every day. UNWEAR THE MASK OF GUEST AND REGISTER TO THE FORUM. Add your posts to the thread you're reading, thought something simple as "I like read it, I was wondering if.... blah blah blah".

Sometimes I feel like if a lot of people are somehow shy or discouraged 'cause they think "I don't know what to say, there are people who think the same things I'm thinking of but they're better than me in saying it, so it's pointless to add my opinion". In effect, I joined this Forum in 2007, after several YEARS spent just reading it 'cause I felt that way (I thought I had nothing to add/say). So, LET US FEEL YOUR PRESENCE and STOP BEING JUST A GUEST.

YOU GUEST, who's just read the thread about Hazzard's map, yeah, YOU, I'm talking to YOU you: what are you looking for? And you, looking for retired Round-Robin... what RR are you looking for? Why? Do you want to see some stories completed?

You all are so right. This page is almost becoming a page lost in the Web. I'm glad I found it and I bet other people are wishing to find something like this. I think this page is also dying down because the show isn't on TV anymore. I wish it was on still.

We need to figure out a way to get the page out to people just because they probably don't know about it.

A lot of the credit for the friendly atmosphere is down to MeadowMufn and her original deputies. As time goes on, we all play a part, but Mufn has been there when someone crosses the line. Even the HNet Facebook page doesn't have nearly the same feel to it.

I think a lull is to be expected when Dukes isn't on TV. Facebook and Twitter have also changed the way that some people get their information nowadays, but a forum is different. I'm currently engrossed in a fascinating thread about the history of Los Angeles and its buildings on another forum. The wealth of information that the body of contributors bring to it is better than any book or single-authored website could ever be, and the same is true of this forum.

I've just passed my third anniversary on HNet, and I think there have only been about five occasions where there was a 24 hour period with no new posts, and many days there are a dozen or more. I don't think that's bad going after 14 years online. We have to admit that, especially since the series came out on DVD, most of the regular questions people have about Dukes have now been answered. Added to that, forums always have "lurkers" who read posts and don't bother signing up. I've done it myself on other forums unless I feel the need to contribute. Including non-members, there are regularly between 100 and 150 people on the forum during US daytime - that's not far off what it was when I joined (admittedly I missed the early years, and the period when the movies came out).

It's great to see that Roger's restarted the trivia thread - I only gave up asking questions due to lack of participation. That's an area where we do need signed-in members.

Overall, I don't see the future as doom and gloom. If someone started airing the show again, it would certainly help, but as long as the current members hang around (and we pick up a few more along the way), we should be OK.

Thanks for all the thoughtful comments.

We seem to have a ball rolling now so let's keep it going and keep talking about this.

It sounds like it's no coincidence that facebook and twitter are peaking at the same time the HazzardNet is coming down. I don't understand how those things work and I'm not really interested but I doubt they'd miss a hundred folks out of the 2 billion that they have so is there any chance you folks who use those two things could get on there and do a little song and dance and try to get folks back here?

On second thought, maybe that violates some kind of internet protocol. Maybe we should wait and see what Meadowmufn thinks of the idea.

I just wanted to chime in here. I'm not gone and I haven't abandoned HNet. I just have very little free time due to my new job. I do have some ideas to revitalize HNet, but unfortunately a number of them rely on version 5 of the forum software which I don't think is quite ready enough yet for our purposes. It will allow me to highlight specific threads on the main forum page and super-customize the site. I think that will help highlight the most interesting content and keep folks interested, perhaps get more folks signing up. Facebook has definitely taken over a bit. I've seen participation on other forums slow because of FB. There is still a place for forums though. FB is good for quick one-off conversations and forums are best for in-depth long term conversations.

One thing I want to do when I have time is to get a chat room up and running again. Since the show isn't currently on tv, I would love to have a once a month chat where we all view our dvds at the same time. I know some of you have done that before. I think we could get quite a bit of participation for that, especially if I advertised it to our 12,800+ Facebook fans.

I appreciate all of you who have kept things going here in my absence. You all are the heart of HazzardNet.

Wow...don't know how I missed this thread. But I do agree...it is very depressing to see the low activity rate on HNet...I have been here over ten years now. Met a lot nice Duke friends...a lot of them have left. Time goes on I guess and life gets in the way. But it is sad to see it being so quiet.

Would a new Round Robin shake things up a bit?

I don't know. I like the chat and DVD thing MM mentioned. You all have added some good insight and ideas. Hopefully we can get things livened up here.

Hey folks, I'm testing out an online conferencing site that might allow us to not only have chat, but allow me to stream Dukes episodes for us to watch together online. Would anybody be interested in helping me test it out this Saturday? Say around 4pm PST? PM me if you're interested! I need more than 5 folks. If Saturday doesn't work, but you're interested, let me know what works for you. Buford and I did a test run tonight and he said it was "pretty cool".

Thanks for everything Meadowmufn. We appreciate all you've done for Dukes of Hazzard fans all over the world since the moment the HN first debuted. I only wish I would have been here since day one.

Things are sure picking up here and it's nice to know that you're in charge. We're certainly in good hands.

I think your idea is awesome. I wish I could help but I'll be at my nephew's graduation party then. It's the only thing I have planned for the weekend so I'm open for other suggestions unless you can get enough folks that I wouldn't be needed.

Thanks for making the HazzardNet the number 01 website on the internet.

Hey, that could be a subtitle for the homepage. "We're number 01"

I don't know if this would help in anyway, but on a dog forum that I am on, they just put down a Facebook like button on the posts. So if you like a post you could like it and it would go on that person's Facebook page if they had one. Like I said, I don't know if that would help any, but it is an idea.

We did have a Facebook Like button for a while. I'll look into adding it back.

• 2 weeks later...

You know what Hazzardnet needs right now?

A wake up button! :roll:

I agree with Roger...it is sad to see this GREAT site be so quiet for so long. I mean come on, what's not love?! It even has a great NASCAR thread to help keep you up to date on all the fast and exciting things that are going on in the world of NASCAR... LOL :D

Yep people sure don't know what they're missing...

I know how you feel Garrett. The saddest part for me is missing the people who used to be on but have lost interest. It's hard for me to relate to losing interest in The Dukes of Hazzard because I haven't since 1979.

There have been times in my life that the show wasn't as high on my priority list as other hobbies but it always moved back up after those others came and went.

What is also depressing is how folks from the past will log in occasionally and say they're back and plan on logging in on a regular basis and then we never hear from them again.

I guess that's life though......ever changing.

I'm glad I've met all the nice folks who have come and gone here on the greatest website on the internet. I miss the glory days here.

At this point in time I think that those days will only return if Dukes goes the way of the popular series Dallas and returns to TV. If that ever happens, this place will be so crowded we'll be elbow to elbow in Dukes fans. With the popularity of redneck reality shows, the time seems ripe.

That is so true, Roger. One thing I've realized is that Dukes stopped showing when the flag controversy started and was big. With that, they still show the remake movie on tv even though there is the flag. It confuses me. If they can show the movie, why not the show?

Maybe MeTV needs to pick it up. They have all kinds of old shows like Emergency!, Adam-12, Ironside, M*A*S*H, and many others. It would be perfect. It also fits in with their slogan/channel name, "Memorable Entertainment Television." That would create new fans and bring back the old.

I know how you feel Garrett. The saddest part for me is missing the people who used to be on but have lost interest. It's hard for me to relate to losing interest in The Dukes of Hazzard because I haven't since 1979.

There have been times in my life that the show wasn't as high on my priority list as other hobbies but it always moved back up after those others came and went.

What is also depressing is how folks from the past will log in occasionally and say they're back and plan on logging in on a regular basis and then we never hear from them again.

I guess that's life though......ever changing.

I'm glad I've met all the nice folks who have come and gone here on the greatest website on the internet. I miss the glory days here.

At this point in time I think that those days will only return if Dukes goes the way of the popular series Dallas and returns to TV. If that ever happens, this place will be so crowded we'll be elbow to elbow in Dukes fans. With the popularity of redneck reality shows, the time seems ripe.

I feel the same way, Roger.

Probably it's also because the Dukes stopped showing (fortunately not in Italy, no flag controversy here, so TVs keep on showing it, as actually). I feel the same "abandon" as a fanfic writer: there's a page on Fanfiction.net devoted to the show, and, since two years ago, there were a lot of writers (and reviewers), but along the years there's a drop, and I think for the same reasons you're talking about: life... and other Tv-shows/books and hobbies. You know, from time to time I looked at the profile page of old writers (and readers), and, sometimes I find out they simply stopped writing, and sometimes I realize they're keeping on writing in other fandom (Supernatural, Twilight, Harry Potter, and so on). They're too busy with real life, or they're interested in something else.

I scratch my head asking to myself: "How's possible you're writing for the same Fandom since 2007, and JUST for that fandom?"

And you just gave me the answer: It's hard for me to relate to losing interest in The Dukes of Hazzard because I haven't since 1979. There have been times in my life that the show wasn't as high on my priority list as other hobbies but it always moved back up after those others came and went.

I'm realizing the importance the show has had in my life, since I was a child, and I'm realizing my deep (and maybe childish) affection for a character who's been the FIRST love of my life. :oops:

I've always loved a character (and, beside that character, the TV-show) and I show this love as a fanfic writer, and you love the TV-show showing your genuine love in this Forum, and you, as me, are wondering how people can forget a so deep and genuine love, started so many years ago.

Maybe MeTV needs to pick it up. They have all kinds of old shows like Emergency!, Adam-12, Ironside, M*A*S*H, and many others. It would be perfect. It also fits in with their slogan/channel name, "Memorable Entertainment Television." That would create new fans and bring back the old.

Dukes hasn't been on TV in Ireland for a few years now, and even longer in the UK. One of the UK channels did show The Fall Guy last year, and has just started re-runs of Magnum PI and Kojak. I think the parent company owned the (now defunct) channel that last showed Dukes, so hopefully they'll get around to showing it again at some point in the future.