Famous quotes about life and people

i1976

Sometimes I stumble on quotes of famous writers that really made me wonder, saying, "WOW it's SO true", and made me ponder on various side of life, learning a lot of myself and of people around me.

I recently found this one: "People who are unable to lie, think that everybody is unable to lie", Kafka.

"In your life you'll meet a lot of masks and few persons", Luigi Pirandello (GREAT italian writer).

Somewhere I read that "any of us looks for something of himself into books". Actually I'm a bit too much into understanding how people relate to each other, what's honesty, what's idealism, what's duplicity, what's opportunism, and so on (how much of it there is in any of us), and it's why I've been so impressed with those quotes, 'cause I've found them totally meaningful and true (... unfortunately :-?). Maybe... we all are masks, especially today, on the web.

I'd just like to share with you quotes from books, movies, songs, and so on; quotes meaningful for you, those kind of quotes that, when you read them, you start, saying "OMG, It's so true!!!". I think some famous writers understood perfectly what life, and human beings, are.

DOH's quotes are allowed, too. ;)

This first one seems to predict the internet and some of my experiences with it :):

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." - George Bernard Shaw

It's easy to doubt yourself once in a while:

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde

Maybe because my age is currently the same as the answer to "Life, the Universe and Everything" I can relate to these:

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

I recently found this one: "People who are unable to lie, think that everybody is unable to lie", Kafka.

Here's what George Bernard Shaw had to say about liars:

"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else."

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Here's what George Bernard Shaw had to say about liars:

"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else."

LOVED these two, especially the first one, ROFL.

Does someone love Peanuts?

Charlie Brown: "What if everyone was like you? What if we all ran away from our problems? Huh? What then? What if everyone in the whole world suddenly decided to run away from his problems?

Linus: Well, at least we'll all be running in the same direction!

[Charlie Brown is behind a tree.]

Charlie Brown: Real love is standing behind a tree so you can see her when she leaves her house. Of course it can sometimes be embarassing. Like when you discover you've been standing on the wrong side of the tree.

ROFL. I LOVE Peanuts (Charlie Brown is my favourite one).

Does someone love Peanuts?

Charles M. Schulz sure did know how to write a good quote. I like this one:

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."

or how about this one?

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from!"

I know Steven Wright is a comedian rather than an author, but I always liked this quote:

"You know how it feels when you're leaning back on a chair, and you lean too far back, and you almost fall over backwards, but then you catch yourself at the last second? I feel like that all the time."

But then we are talking about a man who said this:

"I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it."

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching an episode of the '70s comedy 'Taxi' last night when one of the drivers quoted this as one of the things his father used to say to him. When it was pointed out that George Bernard Shaw said it, it prompted one of the other drivers to ask "Your father was George Bernard Shaw?" :)

You're only young once but you can be immature forever.

(author unknown)

I thought I'd Google this one to see if I could find who did say it. So far I've found it (with slight modifications) attributed to Ogden Nash, Germaine Greer, John P. Grier, Charles Scoggins and Hannah Marks. Most sites suggest one of the first two. It's probably safe to say that the author is unknown. :)

Thanks for looking for the author Hoss. I saw it in a baseball card price guide magazine probably 20 years ago.

Here's one I like that I heard a long time ago and have no idea where I heard it or who came up with it.

It requires a little more thought than the last one.

They can't fire me. I'm not doing anything.

• 3 months later...