Duck Dynasty

RogerDuke

I have to admit, I'm now a fan of Duck Dynasty. This time of the year I don't watch much TV but I've gotten hooked on these rednecks. For those of you who aren't aware, it's the #1 show on American cable television. It's nice to see there's still shows out there with values similar to those on Dukes. This show has no offensive language or sexual situations and is about as PG as you can get. I suppose I shouldn't say none at all....but hardly any. Despite it's (relative) wholesomeness, it's #1. There is hope for this old world.

My favorite character is Phil. That's probably no surprise since he's the most Uncle Jesse-like character. Although I wasn't very happy when he acted like his grandchildren were an inconvenience.

Any other DD fans out there on the HN?

Sorry Roger, but I don't think it's shown over here. When I Googled 'Duck Dynasty' I got as far as "Duck Dynasty is a reality television series" and decided it's probably not for me. I do sometimes watch shows like 'The Apprentice' (UK version), but that's as close to reality TV as I like to go. Speaking of rednecks on TV, literally minutes after you posted this I saw a trailer proclaiming that 'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo' was finally coming to UK screens. I feel so lucky that I don't have the channel that's showing it.

Don't be confused by the term "reality TV show" Hoss. Situation comedies are making a comeback. I say that because "reality TV" isn't reality anymore. I'd bet a dollar that the folks on Duck Dynasty are using plots written by professional writers. This show is a boatload of fun but I'm certain that these scenes are choreographed just like a sitcom. I don't mind though. I'm not a fan of reality TV either but Duck Dynasty is a situation comedy if I ever saw one.....and it's an awesome situation comedy! I doubt any of the "actors" have had any (or much) acting experience but I'd still define them as actors.

I also should probably retract an earlier statement. After further consideration I wouldn't exactly rate it PG. There are enough situations that a PG-13 rating would be warranted.....not many of those situations, but a few. Most episodes don't have any.

It sure has been a long time since I had this much fun watching television.

I have just seen the second reference to the Dukes of Hazzard on Duck Dynasty. In one episode someone said that the CEO of the company (Willie) acted like Boss Hogg. In another episode they were talking about the local cops (since two of the characters went with them for a "ride along") They then mentioned Boss and Rosco.

Sooo I keep hearing how great Duck Dynasty is, and how it has some really funny moments. Though I was under the impression that it was on the somewhat vulgar side, but after reading what you wrote Roger, I decided I would check it out.

I went to my libraries website to place a hold on the season they have, there is 15 hold requests on it right now!! So it must be quite popular. That means I won't be seeing it for about a month. A week check out period, with three copies available, brings it down to roughly 5 weeks until I can get it.

Hope it is worth the wait! :p

RedneckGirl, You may have noticed from post #3 that I changed my PG rating to PG-13 after reconsidering and seeing a few more episodes. There are indeed a few "vulgar" conversations in there so I apologize if I misled anybody. Still, the PG-13 moments are few and far between.

Don't forget that the first few episodes of Dukes were a little on the PG-13 side but then they realized that the show would succeed beyond their wildest dreams if they cleaned things up. That worked just like planned and caused Dukes to appeal to an even wider audience and thus have an even larger fan base. Shows make money based on the number of viewers and if Duck Dynasty learns the lesson that Warner Brothers learned so well in 1979-80, there's no limit on how popular the show can become.

• 2 weeks later...

Those Robertson boys must be Dukes fans because I continue to find references to our favorite show.

Tonight I was watching an episode where the Robertson wives were having a yard sale while the boys were gone. I had seen this episode once before but somehow this part of one scene went by too fast for me to notice.

During the sale there was a souped up garden tractor that was being driven by a potential buyer......

The garden tractor was orange, had an 01 on the side and said "General Lee" on the front engine cover!

In addition to that, I heard yet another reference to Boss Hogg in a different episode so I think I'm up to counting 5 Dukes references.

• 2 months later...

There's been three episodes of Duck Dynasty so far this season and there's already been two Dukes references. Two weeks ago (hmmm, or was it last week?) Willie called himself Boss Hogg. Last night the boys had two toy woodpeckers that they were racing and they named them Bo and Luke. Considering all the Dukes references they've had in the past I'm sure it's no coincidence.....even though whoever is responsible for putting the words on the screen spelled it Beau. By the way, the woodpecker named Luke won the race.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update for UK members: ITV4 will be showing Duck Dynasty from next Tuesday (October 8th) at 9 PM - the first time it will be available on a non-subscription channel in the UK. It was previously shown on the History Channel (which I don't have).

Duck Dynasty on The History Channel? LOL

Oh well, there's no more educational shows on The Learning Channel, no more educational shows on The Discovery Channel, no more music on Music Television (MTV). Why should there be history on The History Channel?

I don't get the History Channel any more, but they used to show some interesting documentaries. It seems that they changed their programming in 2008. I've just looked up the current schedule, and it consists of Duck Dynasty, Storage Wars, Ice Road Truckers, Ax Men etc. repeated several times a day - makes me quite glad I'm no longer paying for it!

PS. I'm also old enough to remember when Music Television showed music :).

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely love Duck Dynasty, and you guys are right, they certainly do love their Dukes of Hazzard with all the references scattered throughout the show!

It's definitely hilarious and entertaining.

In fact, if any of you are familiar with Twitter, Willie Robertson's Twitter handle is @williebosshog, so that should tell you something right there!

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

It looks like Duke Dynasty is winding down. This is the last season for it. All good things must come to an end. I'll be fine though. The only time I had a tough time with a show ending was in 1985. Back then there was no way for me to see Dukes at all once they were off the air. They ended up getting rerun on a different network (ABC). I couldn't get that channel but then the VCR came out and I had someone record them for me. What an awesome feeling...to be able to watch the Dukes any time I wanted.

One of the UK channels is currently reshowing a series called 'Cradle to Grave, a comedy based around the childhood years of DJ/presenter/author Danny Baker. This is how they portrayed his first encounter with a VCR. In this case he was hooked by 'Rising Damp' on demand rather than Dukes.

1 hour ago, Boss JD Hogg said:

The original Star Trek is one of my all time favorite shows.  I started watching it on a Black & White TV but it does come to life on a Color TV. 

Mine too. Got the Bluray complete set as a birthday gift last year, definitely worth the premium price. When I was young my dad got a color tv set and gave me the old b/w set for my bedroom. I used to set my alarm for Johnny Carson and after his monologue I'd switch over to the local Fox station which would air reruns of Star Trek the same time as Johnny. On school nights I'd have to keep from laughing otherwise my dad would wake up :lol: