Rare and Behind the Scenes Pictures of the Dukes of Hazzard

Hey there Tony! How have you been? I hope you're doing well. You're right about the cars. However there is a price to pay for everything. When thinking about the loss of those cars realize that they weren't the valuable classics back then that they are today. Nobody would make a show today if it meant destroying 300 Corvettes from the 1950s. Also consider what came from losing those Chargers. One of the most iconic televisions shows in human history brought joy to millions (dare I say a couple billion) people for years and here we are 40 years later and many of them are still finding happiness and many fans who haven't even been born will someday enjoy it. Sure, the glory days of Dukes are never coming back and fan numbers decrease with time (like all iconic shows do) but the Dukes will outlive us currrect fans in some form or another. For Charger fans it can be difficult to think about those cars but look at it this way. Their loss led a fellow Charger to climb to the top of the mountain as the most famous and recognizable car in history.....the General Lee. I doubt anything will ever replace it.

5 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

For Charger fans it can be difficult to think about those cars but look at it this way. Their loss led a fellow Charger to climb to the top of the mountain as the most famous and recognizable car in history.....the General Lee. I doubt anything will ever replace it.

The funny thing is, everyone knows 'the General Lee' and its horn. But theres few people, at least over here, who know what a Dodge Charger is. :mellow:

• 4 months later...

Yes, I have them all backed up including a few I've never posted. I didn't know some were hosted on tinypic though, nor do I know which ones.

I'm actually surprised all the others hosted on Flickr are still there are they we're supposedly gonna limit the amount of pictures to 1000 and I had like triple that at one point.

If you can describe a few I'd be happy to post them again with maybe a few new ones. :wink:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 4:10 PM, Roth Potter said:

Yes, I have them all backed up including a few I've never posted. I didn't know some were hosted on tinypic though, nor do I know which ones.

I'm actually surprised all the others hosted on Flickr are still there are they we're supposedly gonna limit the amount of pictures to 1000 and I had like triple that at one point.

If you can describe a few I'd be happy to post them again with maybe a few new ones. :wink:

Could you post all the pics you have of the police cars in various conditions? I am wanting to make a custom poster. Please and thank you

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2013 at 5:06 PM, Roth Potter said:

9109782993_b46a5e0944_o.jpg

9112006832_295633a45e_o.jpg

9112005728_cf1d08931c_o.jpg

Cool old pics of the original Georgia Duke's farm house...obviously it was abandoned even by '87. Sadly it has been torn down, and all that's left now are a couple of the chimneys. :( When they originally started tearing it down they discovered the house had at some point been build around an old Civil War cabin. So, destruction stopped, and the old cabin was left standing...so they could figure out what to do with it or how to save it. Sadly, nothing was ever done and in I think 2011 the cabin itself was finally knocked down...as it was ready to cave in anyway, and they were worried about safety concerns.

3 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

If I was a billionaire I'd buy the place and build an exact replica in the exact spot. 

44 minutes ago, Hobie Harkins said:

Or...if you were Bo Duke ( John Schneider) and hadn't pissed away all your money, you could've just bought it outright and preserved it!

Awesome idea, Roger—I’d build a replica, too! :tup:

But, in all honesty I don’t think much thought was given to the original Georgia locations, once they moved filming to the Warner Bros. studio in Hollywood. However,  one of the special features on the Season 6 DVD set has Ben Jones and Sonny Shroyer returning to Georgia to look at some of the original locations...including the original “town square” & courthouse, train tracks of the General Lee’s very first jump, the college building where the General jumps over Rosco as he hunkers down in fear (as seen in opening credits for show’s entire run), and the original Boars Nest, which ironically is now some kind of church, LOL!  :lol:  But, it would have been nice if somehow the original Duke farm house & barn could have somehow been preserved. 

Edited by MonacoMan

I first posted this aerial view showing the last remnants of the original building in a thread about the Duke Farm.

DukeFarm2011.jpg

Here's a comparison of the area in 1972 and 2019. The Duke Farm is roughly in the middle of the black & white image, with the barn behind. It was pretty isolated back then. Sometime in the '80s, several big houses appeared along the road, and they obviously didn't want a tatty old farm house in their garden.

DukeFarmComparison.jpg

Yeah, the old Georgia farm the Dukes first used I think was even abandoned when they started using it for filming. Later after they went to California and the farm was completely abandoned, it just sat there and slowly deteriorated. Somewhere along the line they decided to tear it down, but discovered that the house had at some point been built around an original Civil War cabin.  

They stopped tearing it down, and left the cabin not knowing what to do with it. However, they let it sit too long, and eventually it started falling in on itself and they had to go ahead and tear everything out. Sad! :( 

On 12/8/2019 at 7:56 PM, RogerDuke said:

It wasn't that long ago this came up before here on the HN and Hoss showed us the thread where this was this discussed. Did you see that Monaco? (the old memory ain't what it used to be.....and the technical skills were never good). Where is that old thread from the grandson of the landowner? 

I’m somewhat new to posting on this site...I figure there’s lots of old threads where some of the things I bring up were discussed in the past. But even when you do a “search”, there’s so much that pops up that it’s hard to tell where everything might be at. ;) 

• 2 months later...