2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Point Standings

Garrett Duke

I will posting the NASCAR Sprint Cup Point standings on this thread...as the title suggests. ;) I will most likely do it on Monday or Tuesday seeing how NASCAR makes the point standings official on Monday...they do post them after the race, but they are unofficial.

Just a small summary for the points.

A driver can earn up to 48 points in a single race. They gain a point for each position that they gain...there is 43 drivers that start every race. The winning car will get 43 points, the last car will get one point. Then you can get a point for leading a lap, a point for leading the most laps...and the driver who won the race earns three extra points.

There is 36 point races in a season (The Sprint Unlimited, the Duels, and the All Star race are none point races). The first 26 races are considered the regular season where as the last ten races (starting at Chicagoland) is considered the Chase (kinda like the play off section in football and baseball). The top twelve drivers in points after the regular part of the season makes the Chase. For each win the drivers who make it into the Chase, will earn ten bonus points per win and they will be seeded in that order. For example when the Chase starts the driver who has the most wins in the regular season will be seeded in first place in points...the one with the least amount of wins will come in twelveth...

Meanwhile the other drivers 13 on down in points will continue to race against the Chase driver and go for the wins, but the best that they can finish at the end of the season will be 13th. Most drivers in this position will most likely use this time to experiment new things and work on things for next year.

The season usually starts the fourth Sunday in February at Daytona and end the Sunday before Thanksgiving at Homestead where they will find who won that year's championship.

Brad Keselowski had won last year's (2012) championship over Clint Bowyer and Jimmie Johnson.

With all that said, here is the point standings after the second race of the 2013 season at Phoenix:

1 - Jimmie Johnson

2 - Dale Earnhardt Jr.

2 - Brad Keselowski

4 - Clint Bowyer

4 - Denny Hamlin

6 - Greg Biffle

7 -Mark Martin

8 - Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

8 - Jeff Gordon

8 - Aric Almirola

wc 11 - Carl Edwards

wc 12 - Marcos Ambrose

13 - J.J. Yeley

14 - Bobby Labonte

15 - David Reutimann

15 -Jeff Burton

15 -Paul Menard

18 -Matt Kenseth

19 - Casey Mears

20 -Ryan Newman

20 - Joey Logano

22 -Danica Patrick

23- Tony Stewart

24 -Juan Pablo Montoya

24 -Dave Blaney

26 -Michael McDowell

26 - Travis Kvapil

28 + Jamie McMurray

29 - A J Allmendinger

29 -Kurt Busch

29 + Kevin Harvick

29 +Kasey Kahne

33 -Kyle Busch

34 -Martin Truex Jr.

35 Scott Speed

36 -Michael Waltrip

37 -Terry Labonte

38 -David Ragan

39 - David Stremme

40 -David Gilliland

41 - Landon Cassill

42 - Ken Schrader

WC is the wild card which is the two drivers that are in points 11th through 20th at the end of the regular season with the most wins. Those two drivers will then be pulled into the chase due to just their wins while the top ten are there are by the points from the regular season.

Well here is the official point standings after the Las Vegas race...

1 Jimmie Johnson

2 Brad Keselowski

3 Dale Earnhardt Jr.

4 Denny Hamlin

5 Carl Edwards

6 Mark Martin

7 Matt Kenseth

7 Greg Biffle

9 Clint Bowyer

10 Aric Almirola

wc 11 Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

wc 12 Paul Menard

13 Jeff Gordon

14 Kasey Kahne

15 Joey Logano

16 Marcos Ambrose

17 Kyle Busch

17 Tony Stewart

19 Kevin Harvick

20 Jamie McMurray

20 Jeff Burton

22 Martin Truex Jr.

23 Juan Pablo Montoya

23 Bobby Labonte

25 Casey Mears

26 David Reutimann

26 Dave Blaney

26 J.J. Yeley

29 Kurt Busch

30 Danica Patrick

31 Ryan Newman

32 Travis Kvapil

33 Michael McDowell

34 A J Allmendinger

35 David Ragan

35 David Gilliland

37 Scott Speed

38 David Stremme

39 Michael Waltrip

40 Terry Labonte

41 Ken Schrader

42 Landon Cassill

We are at Bristol next weekend...my favorite track!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow shame on me...I missed a couple of weeks! Will try to do better on updating the points for you. :)

Here is the official point standings after Martinsville:

1 +2 Jimmie Johnson

2 - Brad Keselowski

3 -2 Dale Earnhardt Jr.

4 +2 Kyle Busch

5 -1 Greg Biffle

5 +2 Kasey Kahne

7 -3 Carl Edwards

8 +5 Clint Bowyer

8 - Paul Menard

10 +1 Matt Kenseth

wc 11 -2 Joey Logano

wc 12 +6 Jeff Gordon

13 +3 Jamie McMurray

14 +1 Kevin Harvick

15 -3 Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

16 - Aric Almirola

17 +4 Casey Mears

18 -8 Denny Hamlin

19 +4 Marcos Ambrose

19 -6 Kurt Busch

21 +4 Mark Martin

22 - Tony Stewart

23 -3 Ryan Newman

24 - Jeff Burton

25 -6 Martin Truex Jr.

26 +3 Danica Patrick

27 -1 J.J. Yeley

28 +3 Bobby Labonte

29 -1 Dave Blaney

30 - Juan Pablo Montoya

31 -5 A J Allmendinger

32 - David Ragan

33 -1 David Reutimann

33 +1 David Gilliland

35 - David Stremme

36 - Travis Kvapil

37 +1 Landon Cassill

38 -1 Michael McDowell

39 - Terry Labonte

40 - Scott Speed

41 +1 Ken Schrader

42 -1 Michael Waltrip

43 +1 Scott Riggs

44 -1 Timmy Hill

Well I do believe that I like this point standings the best so far this year...just look who is up to twelveth place from eighteenths! ;) Of course that past sentence is all of my own petty opinion... :D

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the official point standings as of Monday, April 29th, 2013:

1 - Jimmie Johnson

2 +4 Carl Edwards

3 +2 Dale Earnhardt Jr.

3 -1 Kasey Kahne

5 +3 Clint Bowyer

6 -3 Brad Keselowski

7 - Kyle Busch

8 -4 Greg Biffle

9 - Paul Menard

9 +2 Kevin Harvick

wc 11 +1 Aric Almirola

12 -2 Jamie McMurray

wc 13 +1 Matt Kenseth

14 - Jeff Gordon

15 -2 Martin Truex Jr.

16 +1 Ryan Newman

17 +3 Joey Logano

18 - Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

19 +4 Jeff Burton

20 +2 Kurt Busch

21 -5 Mark Martin

21 - Tony Stewart

23 -4 Marcos Ambrose

24 - Casey Mears

24 +3 Juan Pablo Montoya

26 -1 Danica Patrick

27 +1 Bobby Labonte

28 -2 Denny Hamlin

28 +1 Dave Blaney

28 +3 David Ragan

31 +1 David Reutimann

32 -2 J.J. Yeley

33 - David Gilliland

34 +2 A J Allmendinger

35 -1 David Stremme

36 -1 Travis Kvapil

37 - Landon Cassill

38 - Michael McDowell

39 - Terry Labonte

40 - Scott Speed

41 +1 Timmy Hill

42 -1 Ken Schrader

43 - Michael Waltrip

44 - Scott Riggs

45 - Brian Keselowski

(Number on the side is where they are in the standings, the minus/plus sign and numbers are for the positions they lost or gained from last week...and wc means the slot for the wild card.)

Well it is only Monday and I am already looking forward to / excited about Talledega on Sunday! Going to be a long week I have a feelin'...

I appreciate you updating the standings Garret but could you please put Dale at #1 and Jeff at #2 the next time you do it.

Well Roger...I really wish I could. But sadly I am unable to convince NASCAR to change the points around in Dale Jr's and Gordon's favor. :( Though I would really love to... :D

Well after the wild race at Talladega, here is the official point standings:

1 - Jimmie Johnson

2 - Carl Edwards

3 - Dale Earnhardt Jr.

4 +1 Clint Bowyer

5 +1 Brad Keselowski

6 -3 Kasey Kahne

7 +4 Aric Almirola

8 +1 Paul Menard

9 -2 Kyle Busch

10 -2 Greg Biffle

wc 11 +2 Matt Kenseth

wc 12 -3 Kevin Harvick

13 +2 Martin Truex Jr.

13 +1 Jeff Gordon

15 -3 Jamie McMurray

16 +2 Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

17 -1 Ryan Newman

18 -1 Joey Logano

19 - Jeff Burton

20 - Kurt Busch

21 +2 Marcos Ambrose

22 -1 Tony Stewart

23 -2 Mark Martin

24 - Casey Mears

25 -1 Juan Pablo Montoya

26 +2 David Ragan

27 -1 Danica Patrick

28 -1 Bobby Labonte

29 +4 David Gilliland

29 -1 Dave Blaney

31 -3 Denny Hamlin

32 - J.J. Yeley

33 +2 David Stremme

34 -3 David Reutimann

35 -1 A J Allmendinger

36 +1 Landon Cassill

37 -1 Travis Kvapil

38 +2 Scott Speed

39 -1 Michael McDowell

40 +3 Michael Waltrip

41 -2 Terry Labonte

42 -1 Timmy Hill

43 -1 Ken Schrader

Official points as of Monday, May 13, 2013:

1 - Jimmie Johnson

2 - Carl Edwards

3 +1 Matt Kenseth

4 -1 Dale Earnhardt Jr.

5 - Clint Bowyer

6 - Brad Keselowski

6 +1 Kasey Kahne

8 +2 Kyle Busch

9 -1 Aric Almirola

10 -1 Paul Menard

10 +2 Kevin Harvick

wc 12 +1 Jeff Gordon

wc 12 -1 Greg Biffle

14 -1 Martin Truex Jr.

15 - Jamie McMurray

16 - Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

17 - Ryan Newman

18 +2 Kurt Busch

19 -1 Joey Logano

20 -1 Jeff Burton

21 +1 Tony Stewart

22 +3 Juan Pablo Montoya

23 -2 Marcos Ambrose

24 -1 Mark Martin

25 -1 Casey Mears

26 +5 Denny Hamlin

26 - David Ragan

28 -1 Danica Patrick

29 -1 Bobby Labonte

30 -1 Dave Blaney

31 -2 David Gilliland

32 - J.J. Yeley

33 - David Stremme

34 - David Reutimann

35 +1 Landon Cassill

36 +1 Travis Kvapil

37 -2 A J Allmendinger

38 - Scott Speed

39 - Michael McDowell

40 - Michael Waltrip

41 - Terry Labonte

42 - Timmy Hill

43 - Ken Schrader

So does anyone have $30 million laying around you can give me to buy Jeff Gordon's Central Park Condo? Would really love to live in a place that Jeff Gordon use to live in...though would hate to live in New York City. But I guess everything would have a negative side. But being the BIG JEFF GORDON fan that I am...do believe I deserve his old condo. Don't you? ;)

So does anyone have $30 million laying around you can give me to buy Jeff Gordon's Central Park Condo? Would really love to live in a place that Jeff Gordon use to live in...though would hate to live in New York City. But I guess everything would have a negative side. But being the BIG JEFF GORDON fan that I am...do believe I deserve his old condo. Don't you? ;)

Just PM me your PayPal details :).

The apartment looks good, but it does work out at $10m per bedroom! It's weird to see so many pictures of elephants, but not a single reference to motorsport. Sir Stirling Moss designed his own house in the center of London, and now has a carbon fiber elevator made by one of the F1 teams. His house is full of memorabilia. Maybe Jeff keeps all of his in Charlotte.

Don't understand the elephants, but the pictures I have seen all look very open and beautiful. Who wouldn't want to live there? Especially after Jeff Gordon use to live there? The only HUGE downfall is, is that it is in New York City. I would never survive in a big city...if I could, I'd be living in Chicago! ;)

Though seeing how Hoss has agreed to pay the thirty million dollars, I will over look the whole NYC thing and go ahead and open the paypal account. Am looking forward to seeing that money come in, Hoss!

Am sure Gordon has memorbilia somewhere. Probably in his big house he just built in Charolette. ;)

Though seeing how Hoss has agreed to pay the thirty million dollars, I will over look the whole NYC thing and go ahead and open the paypal account. Am looking forward to seeing that money come in, Hoss!

In case you missed it in another thread, I have to get a new laptop, so I won't be able to afford the apartment this week :(.

Am sure Gordon has memorbilia somewhere. Probably in his big house he just built in Charolette.

*memorabilia

*Charlotte

Did you break that spell checker already? ;)

In case you missed it in another thread, I have to get a new laptop, so I won't be able to afford the apartment this week :(.

*memorabilia

*Charlotte

Did you break that spell checker already? ;)

It must be...I was waiting for it to correct me and it didn't. Figured I actually spelled it right the first time. So blame the computer. Not me. ;)

Forget the lap top...I need that condo way more than you could ever need a new lap top. :D

This has gotten confusing.

I sent Garrett a check for thirty million dollars and the next day I saw that Hoss has sent the money too. After seeing that Hoss had taken care of it I cancelled the check and had the post office cut it off before it arrived. They sent it back and I destroyed it.

Then I noticed that Hoss had just bought a thirty million dollar laptop and couldn't give Garrett the money.

Since Garrett is such a good friend I decided to write another check but noticed I was all out of blank checks.

I then called my bank to ask for more blank checks but they said that they were going out of business because their biggest customer had just withdrawn thirty million dollars out of the bank to buy a computer and they were forced to close their doors.

I was going to file a lawsuit against the bank but then I realized that Hoss is probably the guy they were talking about and he's such a good friend I didn't want to draw him into this mess. Besides, if his thirty million dollar laptop gets confiscated by a civil court judge he wouldn't be able to post anymore.

Maybe you should try a bake sale Garrett.

Thirty million dollars? For that kind of money, I just might sell HazzardNet to you. ;)

Hazzardnet is for sell for thirty million dollars? Just think of all the Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson stuff I could post...could make it a DOH and NASCAR site. ;)

Dang it Roger...I was that close for you giving me thirty million dollars? Why you go and cancel the check for? Just think, if you didn't do that, I could be sitting in the same chair Jeff Gordon sat on when he was at the computer right now. Instead, I'm still here at my own chair...what a shame! Thanks for thinking of me all the same though. :wink:

• 3 months later...

Well I am ashamed of myself for letting this thread go like this...shame on me! Well, I will attempt to do better now that the Chase is about to start...

As much as I want to write through the points and who is where, I better not do it tonight as it is getting too late and I should be in bed (four am comes way too early!). But did find this article that I wanted to share...

Roger asked in my other thread on how Jeff Gordon can get into the Chase (Richmond on this upcoming Saturday night will determine who is in and who is out of the Chase for the 2013 NASCAR Championship.) and Jeff is currently six points out of the top ten where needs to be if he is to get into the Chase without a win (eleventh place and twelfth place are the wild card slots and whoever is 11 -20 in points with the most wins gets into the Chase on wild card).

So hopefully this article will shed some info on how Jeff Gordon and a few others can get into the Chase...though I am really HOPING and PRAYING Jeff Gordon can get into the Chase...

Chase Clinching Scenerios

Hope this helps...

Another Chase contender article. More detailed...

Well the plot thickens as we get to the last race of the regular season...where has the season gone? Anyway I am going to post the drivers in and elgible for the Chase. Everyone who doesn't get into the Chase will still race and can win races, but the best they can finish in points is thirteenth...which earns them a million dollars.

DRIVERS LOCKED IN THE CHASE

1. Jimmie Johnson

2. Clint Bowyer

3. Carl Edwards

4. Kevin Harvick

5. Kyle Busch

6. Matt Kenseth

DRIVERS IN THE WILD CARD POSITION

1. Kasey Kahne is clinched into the Chase since he has two wins so far this season (Kasey is currently 12th in points.)

DRIVERS ELGIBLE TO MAKE THE CHASE

7. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

8. Joey Logano

9. Greg Biffle

10. Kurt Busch

11. Jeff Gordon

(12 in points is Kasey Kahne who already clinched his spot with his two wins.)

13. Martin Truex Jr.

14. Ryan Newman

15. Brad Keselowski

16. Jamie McMurray

17. Paul Menard

As the article says drivers in the 14 - 17 positions would need a super great race and help of other drivers ahead of them having bad races to get in...but it still can happen.

It is only Wednesday...the race is Saturday night at 6:30 and I am already NERVOUS for Jeff Gordon. I may have to watch this race with my eyes closed:popcorn:.

(On a side note about the truck race and Max Papis getting slapped. Mike Skeen's girl friend who slapped Papis has been fined $2,500 and suspended from all NASCAR track activity indefinately. Skeen's crew cheif has been fi ned $2,500 as well...the crew cheif is suppose to be in charge and have control over his driver and crew...she should be arrested, but am glad to see NASCAR FINALLY stepping in and doing something about this.)

(On a side note about the truck race and Max Papis getting slapped. Mike Skeen's girl friend who slapped Papis has been fined $2,500 and suspended from all NASCAR track activity indefinately. Skeen's crew cheif has been fi ned $2,500 as well...the crew cheif is suppose to be in charge and have control over his driver and crew...she should be arrested, but am glad to see NASCAR FINALLY stepping in and doing something about this.)

That's more than I expected from NASCAR - well done them (do they read my posts ;)). I assume the allegation about Max Papis pushing Mike Skeen's girlfriend proved not to be true.

That's more than I expected from NASCAR - well done them (do they read my posts ;)). I assume the allegation about Max Papis pushing Mike Skeen's girlfriend proved not to be true.

In the article I read, it didn't exactly come out and say that...but did say that Max went into Skeen's hauler to talk to him and his girlfriend got in the way (something like that) and Max shoved her aside to get to Mike. So, personally, it sounds like Mike and his girlfriend were trying to use that against Max. I guess it all depends on the way Max did it...but if the NASCAR officials were there as Mike had said, they would have fined Max as well if they saw him do something wrong against his girl friend. . .and I haven't seen anything that points at any wrong doing at Max after the claim. Which I am glad of. Max seems like a good guy...

That slap even made the mainstream media.

Thanks for the update Garrett.

So, when you say the 13th place driver gets a million dollars, I assume that's all his to keep, right? (minus taxes). It isn't how much everybody on the team divides up?

How do they figure out how much each crew member gets?

Well she got her fifteen minutes of fame...hope she finds it worth $2500... :roll:

As for the million dollars, I assume it is for the whole team to split up...but I am not a hundred percent sure on how they do it. I would have to look it up when I have more time. Great question Roger! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well race one of the Chase is in the books...leaving ONLY nine more races left of the season. I am already dreading the off season...why can't we just skip from Richmond to Daytona? Doesn't that sound fair? HA HA.

Here is how the Chase looks after one race:

Position Driver Points Behind Wins

1 Matt Kenseth 2063 6

2 Kyle Busch -8 4

3 Jimmie Johnson -11 4

4 Kevin Harvick -15 2

5 Carl Edwards -23 2

6 Kurt Busch -23 0

7 Jeff Gordon -24 0

8 Ryan Newman -28 1

8 Clint Bowyer -28 0

10 Kasey Kahne -31 2

10 Greg Biffle -31 1

12 Joey Logano -52 1

13 Dale Earnhardt Jr. -53 0

Also today is Jason Leffler's birthday...he'd have been 38 years old. RIP Jason. You are missed!