28 injured fans at Daytona Nationwide Series Race

Garrett Duke

Well the Nationwide Series raced at Daytona today and right before the checkered flag fell, a huge wreck forced Kyle Larson's car up into the fence. Injuring up to 28 fans...12 people getting rushed to the emergencey room...Tony Stewart went on to win the race.

The accident There is a video and an article about the last lap accident...and that is one wicked wreck that left me in chills. Larson's engine was in the grandstand...his front part of his car was completely off. Glad to see him get out OK after that...he has to be shaken up and feel horrible about it. It's another Carl Edwards type wreck he had at Talledega.

Just scary. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved. Hope not to see anything like this in the Sprint Cup series race tomorrow. Just horrible. Those drivers go over 200 mph in restrictor plate races Daytona and Talledega...

Fans go there to have fun...a good time. And end up going to the ER at the end of the race. I know someone who is going to the SPrint Cup race tomorrow and for one ticket for the Sprint Cup it is $130...sure it is less than that for Nationwide Series, but still expensive. Go for a good time and leave with a nightmare.

Just horrible...feel bad for everyone. :(:cry::(:cry:

Last Monday (Feb. 18) marked the twelveth year since Dale Sr died in a wreck at Daytona 500...his too was on the last lap. But Dale's accident was NOTHING like this one. Of what I remember of the accident he got hit from behind and hit the wall. He didn't wear the HANS (Head and Neck Support) which was optional at the time...now a requirement.

Since last night's crash, NASCAR has been criticized for blocking a video on YouTube taken by one of the fans in the crowd. They used the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) to block the video on copyright grounds just minutes after it was uploaded. YouTube have subsquently reversed the ban, and NASCAR have backtracked and now say it "was blocked on YouTube out of respect for those injured in today's accident." It didn't stop them from posting their own video of the crash from the TV feed.

You can read more about it here, here and here, and see the unblocked video

. To me the video looks very similar to the footage that CNN were showing last night.

Yes I agree...I hope that nothing bad happens like that today.

Well I saw the first half of the video last night before turning it off. There is a difference between that video and the video that I think NASCAR put out. The NASCAR video that I saw was of the TV coverage where you see what happened where as that one was in the grandstands. I guess I do agree with NASCAR on this...those fans injured do deserve their privacy during their pain, fear, and all else that went on in the grandstands.

Hoping for a great race today...a great and safe race.

I guess I do agree with NASCAR on this...those fans injured do deserve their privacy during their pain, fear, and all else that went on in the grandstands.

If that's the case then they shouldn't abuse the DMCA. I can see the privacy issue, but I think it was an afterthought. I still don't see where NASCAR gets the right to make that decision.

As for the fans that were injured, most have been released from the hospital and the two that were proclaimed critical has been moved or listed as being stable now. I have read where some of the fans are looking into lawsuits or what they can do lawfully against NASCAR for the accident. Though their lawyers are saying they don't know how far they can take it since NASCAR has on the ticket stating their risk of going to the race.

Personally I don't know what else NASCAR could do to prevent all that had happened to happen. Though I am sure if their is something that needs to be fixed, NASCAR will fix it. They have already stated that the fence was top of the art. Those cars are going 200 mph and are real touchy with air and drafting and all that and when they are all drafting like that who can control where the cars land when they wreck?

I don't know. My prayers are still with the injured. With the drivers. With NASCAR. That they can learn from this and move forward with a higher quality fence or whatever it may take.

Though the fans were not the only ones injured in the Nationwide Series race...I guess there was an eleven car wreck on lap 116 that sent Michael Annett's Richard Petty Motorsport 43 car head on into the wall. He was taken to the same Halifax Medical Center, the fans were taken to, and kept over night for evaluation and observation. Annett was diagosed with a dislocated and fractured sternum and will have surgery for his injury. He will be out for some time...

Aric Almirola who drives the 43 car in the Sprint Cup Series for Richard Petty will be driving Annett's car at Phoenix this weekend.

Well this is unrelated to either Nationwide Series accident but it is in the Nationwide Series so I thought I would post it here. Will have to create a Nationwide Series thread if news from that series keeps going on like it has...

Nationwide Series driver Jeremy Clements has been suspended indefinately by NASCAR for making an "intolerable and insensitive" remark. NASCAR and Clements are both refusing to say what was said, but that it was said during the course of an interview.

I have read in another site that it was of a racial slur... :(

Clements has apologized for what he said and to his fans and NASCAR.

On a positive note...

Lowes has extended their sponsorship of Sprint Cup driver Jimmie Johnson for another two years. It was rumored that they were going to pull out...so this JG/JJ fan is super excited that JJ's main sposnor for the twelve years he has been in SPrint Cup will be with him through the 2015 season. :D

(Sorry I didn't want to cover up this thread by writing up Johnson's news in it's proper Sprint Cup News.)

Please let me know if you are interested in Nationwide Series and I will do my best to post the results of the races. I don't normally watch that series, but I do keep an eye on who wins and if anything had happened during the race. So I would be glad to write that up too as well as the Sprint Cup...may do so either way, but would appreciate to know if anyone would be interested in it. :) Thank you. :D