Dukes of Hazzard Diecast Models

HossC

I thought we should have a single thread to post information about Dukes-related diecast models, new and old. My interest lies in 1:18 scale models, but feel free to discuss other scales.

Sadly, I don't currently have the funds or the space to add to my diecast collection (especially with a less favorable exchange rate than it was a few years back). That doesn't mean that I've stopped looking at new releases, so I thought I'd start this thread with a slightly belated round-up of some Dukes-related 1:18 scale cars that came out in the months before Christmas. The first three are released under the Johnny Lightning name, but I think they all use the old ERTL molds.

The first is a reissue of the Double Zero Mustang from the 'Reunion' movie. I'm lucky enough to have one of the first issue from 2001 that came with a 1:64 version - with the new release you only get the 1:18 car. It's one of the older diecasts, and doesn't have the same level of detail as some of the more recent releases, but it's still a nice model. On the negative side, the flames haven't been updated to be any closer to the on-screen version, the grille still has the Mustang logo and chrome strip instead of just the two lights, and it's still missing the "GT" badges from behind the front wheels. Even more inexplicable is the addition of a small black hood scoop on the new version - the car in the movie never had one, and nor did the original diecast version, so I can't see why they added one now. Finally, the new packaging calls it "Cooter's Ford Mustang" - no idea where they got that from!

DiecastDoubleZero.jpg

After years of waiting, we can now get a reissue of a Hazzard patrol car with a light bar instead of the incorrect "gumball" lights we've been offered in the past (see inset). You may spot that it's still a '74 Monaco, which never appeared in the show (a couple of the Georgia episodes used a very similar '75), but I'm guessing the manufacturers used the same shell as 'The Bluesmobile'. I wish they'd do a '77/'78 Monaco or Fury, but this is the best attempt so far - they've even put the "SHERIFF" decals on the fenders this time (ironically, none of the Georgia patrol cars had these).

DiecastPatrolCar.jpg

Now we have a first issue, and this time it actually is one of Cooter's cars: his Chevy Camaro from 'Luke's Love Story'. From the pictures I've seen, the interior is pretty detailed and the engine looks great. They even custom-made the hood scoop for this model. It's a shame they didn't pay the same amount of attention to other aspects of the car. First the decals: the stripes are wrong (in several ways), the door numbers should be all straight lines, and the "Cooter" text behind the doors doesn't look much like the on-screen version. There should also be a "350" on the hood scoop. As for the other details: Cooter's car was missing its grille, it didn't have hood pins, the headlights were covered over with discs (not just painted), and it had slotted mag wheels. I'm hoping they'll reissue it with these points corrected, because none of them would require much work.

DiecastCooterCamaro.jpg

Finally, I'll just remind y'all that the AutoWorld 'Silver Screen' General Lee is still available. It has a higher level of detail than the standard models, and the last release has several updated features, including the removal of the headrests, revising the decals and fitting a longer CB aerial. The three models above seem to retail online for between $50 and $60 each, whereas this one costs more like $90. If I didn't already own one of the ERTL 'Authentics' Generals, I think I'd buy one of these. NB. I've seen pictures of these that look as if the roof flag is missing - as far as I know, the flag is still there, but covered with a plain orange sticker. A post on the HNet Facebook page earlier this week seems to comfirm this.

DiecastGeneral.jpg

Still to come, AutoWorld are set to release a 1:18 model of Daisy's '71 Road Runner (Satellite) in the summer. I've seen dates of July and August, so I'll try and let you know nearer the time. There are no pictures available yet, but y'all know what it looks like!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few of the Etrl General Lees including a "stunt car" that has incomplete graphics and primer spots on it. I remember thinking it was unusual when I bought it and I haven't ever seen another one since I bought this one about 15 years ago.

I also have two other releases. One with a black interior and one with the correct tan interior.

Diecastrides003-1.jpg

Diecastrides004.jpg

Diecastrides001-1.jpg

• 3 months later...

As this is the information thread for The Dukes of Hazzard Diecast Models I thought I should make a 1:18 Ertl and AutoWorld comparison.

Here in the Netherlands the AutoWorld General Lee is sold as a Greenlight General Lee.

Please don't mind the sligly faded colour and damage of my Ertl General Lee, I bought it second hand and at the time was not sold in the Netherlands.

The Sides:

9095424546_d772bc8775_o.jpg

The upper scale model is the Ertl and the lower one is the AutoWorld. As you can clearly see the Ertl doesn't have a CB antenna.

Both of the models have the same rollcage, It's seems to be a compromised full rollcage. This type of rollcage was not used in the series nor any of the movies.

The Ertl has a big black plate in the rims making them not very good looking, also I think the wheels are a bit to small.

The 01 on the Ertl are a bit too small and have been painted too thick. If you look at the inset you can see that they first painted the white and then the black, to this day that line has always bugged me.

On the AutoWorld the chrome strips are made out of plastic pieces, on the Ertl these have been painted onto the body.

The Roof:

9093202027_d44e389095_o.jpg

As you can see the flag on both models is very similar, though the Ertl has the middle star turned 180° which is incorrect.

The Ertl General Lee has black lettering on the roof written with the wrong font thus making the lettering longer then it should.

The lettering on the AutoWorld seems to be using the right font. It looks to be using the font of the later tv series General Lee's. Even though the AutoWorld has the right font for the lettering and the right colour it does seem like the space between the letters are too small.

As visible in the picture my Ertl General Lee doesn't have window wipers, but they are normally on there.

Also visible in this picture is that the grill in front of the windscreen has a full black patch of paint on the Ertl while the AutoWorld only has black paint in the slots.

The Front:

9095423978_8921ebdb7a_o.jpg

As you can easily see in this picture, the space underneath the front bumper is red on the Ertl. On the autoWorld this is a hole through which you can see the engine bay.

The Ertl has two red rectangles in the grill. this is incorrect and should be black like the one on the AutoWorld.

It is hard to see in this image but the Ertl has a small R/T badge, this should not be here.

Both Cars have a license plate and both are wrong. The General Lee on the TV show mostly had no license plate but sometimes had a fully red plate.

Both Models seem to be sharing the same bullbar but the one on the AutoWorld has been mounted higher which makes it look more close to the one from the tv series.

9093201653_ffdeaaeb31_o.jpg

On the AutoWorld General Lee you can turn the headlights cover to make way for something else, the headlights! the Ertl doesn't have this feature.

The Rear

9095425132_1dd6037ac3_o.jpg

Both Cars have license plates. The Ertl has very detailed Florida plates, but if you ever watched the Dukes you should know that this is wrong. The Autoworld has the correct license plate but this one is not very detailed.

as you can see in this picture the Ertl only has one exhaust, this is because the previous owner of mine had broke it off. luckly I still have it laying in the interior. :)

The Ertl General Lee has white painted backup light, the autoWorld has plastic glass in this place.

As you can see in this picture the AutoWorld has a higher rear, making it more realistic. Also the AutoWorld is more rounded on the lower part of the rear.

The Ertl has painted rear lights, the AutoWorld has plastic glass.

Also the Ertl has an R/T badge, this should not be here.

Engine Bay:

9093203927_de71235f16_o.jpg

As you can see the AutoWold has a better detailed Engine and Bay.

Even though the AutoWorld has a better detailed engine it is not the one said to be in the tv show General Lee as it was a Racing Engine custom made by the Dukes, If someone has a screencap of the engine from the closeup car please post it. The AutoWorld General Lee has a standard 383 Four Barrel. I do not know what type of engine is in the Ertl General Lee.

Also visible in the picture is that the AutoWorld has lettering inside the engine bay, the Ertl does not have this.

Both models have a different color above the grill and both are correct. on the Dukes the General Lee has this black, confederate orange or chromed depending on the episode and reunion movie.

The Hinges on the AutoWorld are the same used on a real 1969 Dodge Charger, they even have a working spring! If they should be chromed or confederate orange slipped my mind.

None of the models have a Dixie horn in the engine bay.

The Booth

9093203687_d3f97b7432_o.jpg

Only the AutoWorld has an openable booth.

The cloth you see in the AutoWorld is a sticker.

In the booth is a pipe going from the fuel cap to the fuel tank, I find this arrow straight tube quite weird as it limits the packing capacity. If this pipe is the same in a real 1969 Dodge Charger please let me know.

Interior front

9095423604_9eaf34cdf2_o.jpg

Even though the Ertl has the wrong colour interior it is surprisingly detailed.

The Ertl has headrest, these should not be here.

The AutoWorld has more trim and even has seat belts.

Interior Rear

9095426010_f46d03f164_o.jpg

As you can see the Ertl doesn't have rear seats, This is wrong.

Also you can see that the Ertl doesn't have upholstery on the ceiling.

Visible in this picture is how detailed the AutoWorld teardrop antenna is.

The Under body

9093203299_9ea4f2c131_o.jpg

I do not know much about the under body of a car so I won't say much about it.

Both under bodies seem to be very detailed but the AutoWorld's is just a bit better.

The AutoWorld has a chromed gastank and driveshaft.

When you turn the Rear wheels on the AutoWorld General Lee the drive shaft starts turning

Extra's

9095425620_ff33edda04_o.jpg

On both models you can turn the steering wheel to make the front wheels turn, I believe this is pretty much on every 1:18 scale model nowadays.

As you can see in the Picture you can see a spring. The AutoWorld General Lee has sprung wheels. The rear wheels are sprung with the spring you can see in the picture I posted meaning the leaf spring is just there for the looks.

My Conclusion

The AutoWorld General Lee is in my opinion better in almost every way.

It might be a bit more expensive but it surely is worth the extra 10 dollars.

Back home between the rest.

9093202311_515fc54a59_o.jpg

Thanks for your contributions, Roth.

Both of the models have the same rollcage, It's seems to be a compromised full rollcage. This type of rollcage was not used in the series nor any of the movies.

As I said above, I have the Ertl Authentics General which is very close to the AutoWorld model. I remember reading a discussion on another website before the AutoWorld one came out. Someone (supposedly) from the manufacturer posted about the improvements they planned, and asked it anything else needed to be tweaked. I know one of the other posters criticized the rollcage design, at which point the manufacturer guy said that they didn't have the budget to redesign anything significant, and he didn't take the further criticism well either.

In the booth is a pipe going from the fuel cap to the fuel tank, I find this arrow straight tube quite weird as it limits the packing capacity. If this pipe is the same in a real 1969 Dodge Charger please let me know.

Yes, the real boot (or I suppose I should say "trunk") really is that badly designed:

p69675_large+1969_Dodge_Charger_RT+Trunk_View.jpg

Thanks for your contributions, Roth.

Thank you for the kind words Hoss.

As I said above, I have the Ertl Authentics General which is very close to the AutoWorld model. I remember reading a discussion on another website before the AutoWorld one came out. Someone (supposedly) from the manufacturer posted about the improvements they planned, and asked it anything else needed to be tweaked. I know one of the other posters criticized the rollcage design, at which point the manufacturer guy said that they didn't have the budget to redesign anything significant, and he didn't take the further criticism well either.

As i'm not English I don't really know how to react to that, but isn't there a saying for that? I believe it is "He just shot himself in the toe".

Why would you ask for tweaks if you don't have the budget to change things?

Anyway, i've just looked at my AutoWorld General Lee. And as there now is a backseat in the car the rollcage is mounted to the backseat.

9094646419_d90c88f08a_o.jpg

Yes, the real boot (or I suppose I should say "trunk") really is that badly designed:

p69675_large+1969_Dodge_Charger_RT+Trunk_View.jpg

Wow, that I did not expect. I thought they would have made a pipe running from the fuelcap to just under the trunk and then to the fuel tank.

Hoss would you like if I'd post my Police Car and Corgi General Lee too? the Rc car is just too badly detailed to review. :-P

As i'm not English I don't really know how to react to that, but isn't there a saying for that? I believe it is "He just shot himself in the toe".

The phrase is usually "He shot himself in the foot", but you're close enough :).

I think he went on the forum to publicize the new product without realizing how many inaccuracies there were. I get the feeling that he thought the decal tweaks were pretty much all that was needed.

Hoss would you like if I'd post my Police Car and Corgi General Lee too?

Yes, please do. Did your Corgi General come with Bo and Luke?

Yes, please do. Did your Corgi General come with Bo and Luke?

Yes, they were included I just realised. To be honest with you I never really liked them as they didn't fit in the General Lee.

I believe I stored them in the box the model came with, but where the box is I do not know. I'll search for it tomorrow. 0:28 am is too late to search. :p

The story with it is also quite funny, I went to my Grandfather on Queensday and it was l laying there at one of the stalls. I couldn't believe my eye's. It was my very first Scale model and I only knew the dukes from a few weeks before.

Overview:

9102841448_14558d96cd_o.jpg

The sheriff's car is less detailed then the AutoWorld General Lee making it also cheaper.

As you can see this model has Dodge lettering on the front where the one in the series didn't.

also this model has an antenna which it should not have.

According to different sources (James Best's Website and HazzardNet) it is either right or wrong that it is a 1974 Doge Monaco. The only changes I could find between an 1974 and a 1975 Dodge Monaco is that the chrome bulge above the front headlights do not exist on the 1975 Dodge Monaco. Thus making this model the wrong year as the one in the tv series didn't have the bulge.

9102841202_3dfed7eeaa_o.jpg

As you can see this model has greenish windows, this is definitely wrong. The version released with the gumball lights had the the right color windows.

Also visible in this picture is that the left rear doors handle isn't chromed while the one on the other side is chromed, if this is with all models or just mine I do not know.

Decals:

9102841934_33b35ce432_o.jpg

The decals of this model are very detailed. Although very detailed the 'T' in 'COUNTY' and the 'SHERIFF' lettering seem to be not thick enough.

9100612899_face64baaa_o.jpg

This decal is very nicely made but should not be here, the Georgia Monaco's only had a Sheriff decal on the back of the car where it says Dodge on this model.

Also, while looking at the bumper it seems Rosco had already driven the car before I got it as there is a black patch on the chrome bumper.

The Under Body

9102842098_a3a64f1ca7_o.jpg

As you can see the model has four holes for screws. As I want to see a car stand on its wheels I took it of the base.

The under body is very detailed but does not have sprung wheels or a turning driveshaft like the AutoWorld General Lee.

The Engine Bay

9102842570_886b88490d_o.jpg

The engine bay is very detailed but does not have any lettering inside.

Most of the hoses are made from rubber.

The Trunk

9100613575_983071da30_o.jpg

Not much to see here, but still a nice feature that it opens.

I did not find a fillercap on the car let alone a pipe for fuel in the trunk, so my best guess is that Dodge Monaco has it's filler cap behind the rear license plate.

Interior

9102841008_6db23ef1a9_o.jpg

The interior has a very detailed interior, I didn't expect this model to have decals on the speedometer let alone the clock.

9100613977_58f69c5dcc_o.jpg

It is very hard to photograph but this car seems to have a CB, not even the AutoWorld General Lee has this. If this thing is something different please let me know.

Doors

9102842744_322ba8919f_o.jpg

Even though this model has opening doors, the rear doors can only be opened by pushing it out with a finger through the car.

Searchlight

9102842256_88a122d77d_o.jpg

This model has a searchlight, it should not have had this.

Aerodynic Lightbar

9100612789_2bb0ee612d_o.jpg

This newer released version has the Aerodynic lightbar we have all been waiting for.

Although there is nothing inside the glass it is very nice to have this instead of the gumball lights.

Conclusion

If you have yourself a 1:18 scale model General Lee I would highly recommend it as a General Lee without a Hazzard Police car chasing it is like an American Muscle Car being built in Europe.

Thanks for the pictures, Roth. I was tempted to get one of these, but I've got nowhere to put it. Besides, I already have the 'Bluesmobile' which uses the same 1974 Dodge Monaco mold. I thought they could've made the County Sheriff star more accurate, but overall it's an improvement on the old one.

I have the Ertl but now I want the AutoWorld General Lee!

By the way, there's more info on this subject 5 sections down under "General Lee Diecast Question" beside "Dukes of Hazzard Collectibles and Memorabilia"

The AutoWorld General might not be perfect, but it's a lot better than the original ERTL release - go ahead, treat yourself :).

I've just checked on Ebay, and while some sellers are asking up to $100, most are between $65 and $75.

The other thread you mention is General Lee Diecast Question, which duplicates some of the info from here. I did my best to list all the previous 1:18 releases (2000-2008) in this post.

Overview FS

9142402005_7d4299bed9_o.jpg

As I used it a lot it is scuffed a little. Note the missing paint next to the grill, a little bit of white gone for the 01 and the out of line wheels.

This model is very nice and the decals are even better then the ERTL General Lee.

The model does not have the correct rims but as this car is very tiny I personally think the wheel would be too black if they used the right wheels.

Overview RS

9142401889_1088a259bc_o.jpg

The chrome trim is painted on.

Notice the Orange on the car, or better said the red. As the car is so dark orange the flag is the same colour as the rest of the body.

Notice the out of line wheels, this is caused by landing damage on my model only.

The Roof

9142401659_f494119828_o.jpg

The flag and General Lee leterring on this model are very good. The only bad thing is the blue of the flag goes a little to much over the white in the lower corner of this picture.

I couldn't get a good picture here. :(

9142401093_6f2b9bb2d2_o.jpg

The 01 is a bit too big but is very nicely detailed.

Underbody

9142400589_b23b765f55_o.jpg

The underbody has a very nice detail for a car of this scale.

Nose

9144626810_01d2ca183b_o.jpg

The pushbar is very nicely detailed.

Interior

9144626558_a88991c86c_o.jpg

This model is so small it is impossible the clean the inside.

The rollcage in this model is very nice, but does not look anywhere near the one used on the show. It seems to be a full rollcage.

This model does not feature a steering wheel but does have a very detailed dash.

Bo e Luke

9142399037_6e29bf58c7_o.jpg

This model originally included a Bo and Luke figure, unfortunately I lost mine. This picture is from the internet.

I remember I played with my Bo figure the most as it broke of the base, the duo was made out of hard plastic though you could bend it a little.

• 3 weeks later...

I mentioned in the first post of this thread that Autoworld were planning to release a 1:18 version of Daisy's Road Runner this summer. The latest news I can find says that the tooling needs to be fixed, so the provisional release date has been put back to the end of 2013. If I get a confirmed date I'll post it here.

• 2 months later...

Supercar Collectibles finally have sample pictures of the upcoming 1:18 model of Daisy's 1971 Road Runner. The expected delivery date has now been put back to March, 2014. More details here.

DiecastRoadRunner.jpg

They also have news of an updated version of Rosco's patrol car, but a "newer yet" lightbar is the only detail listed for the improvements. Release is likely to be May 2014.

Off topic I know, but I seem to remember that Roger has a liking for the Charlie's Angels Mustang II. The 1:18 version by Greenlight Collectibles comes out next week (October 14th), although maybe it's not the same without Farrah Fawcett on the hood ;).

DiecastCharliesAngels.jpg