2013 NASCAR race reviews and results

Garrett Duke

Grosjean second!

Oh wait... wrong forum. ;)

Record breaking result - Vettel becomes the first driver to win eight consecutive races in a single season. I also enjoyed seeing Nigel Mansell and Sir Jackie Stewart in their cowboy hats (Sir Jackie also had a sheriff's badge :)).

Well y'all...Homestead is now over as well as the 2013 NASCAR season. :( Talk about a wild race, a wild run through the entire season. As well as this race. Not a whole lot had happened other than a few cars hitting the wall and a couple of debris caution. Though there was a scary accident for Paul Menard when his rear caught on fire and blew the back tire off and luckily everyone was OK. Think the big incident happened on a restart w hen Jeff Gordon had a bad restart and Kyle Busch got into him. Which caused Matt Kenseth and JJ to get into each other. JJ went from sixth place to twenty-something. Though he was able to rebound and finish nine...

Matt Kenseth started the race on the pole, best in practice, and led the most laps. He did everything he could to take that championship from Jimmie Johnson. Kenseth had finished second. Finished second to Denny Hamlin who was in need of a win after having a month off earlier this year due to an accident left him with a back injury.

I am super excited and proud to announce that JIMMIE JOHNSON has won his SIXTH CHAMPIONSHIP of his NASCAR Sprint career. Mr. Five time has turned into Six Time or Six Pack! This is Jimmie Johnson's twelfth year in the NASCAR Sprint Cup and his sixth championship. JJ is now batting .500!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also makes Rick Hendrick the winning car owner...giving Hendrick his eleventh championship. The most for all team owners!

And he has Jeff Gordon to thank for all that. Gordon is the one who found him and brought him to Hendrick. Where Hendrick told Gordon to put his money where his mouth was...which was where Gordon came co-owner.

FINAL RESULTS:

1. Denny Hamlin

2. Matt Kenseth

3. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

4. Martin Truex Jr.

5. Clint Bowyer

6. Brad Keselowski

7. Kyle Busch

8. Joey Logano

9. Jimmie Johnson

10. Kevin Harvick

11. Jeff Gordon

12. Carl Edwards

13. Kasey Kahne

14. Elliot Sadler

15. Kyle Larson

16. Aric Almirola

17. Ryan Newman

18. Juan Pablo Montoya

19. Mark Martin

20. Danica Patrick

21. Kurt Busch

22. Ricky Stenhouse Jr

23. Jeff Burton

24. Greg Biffle

25. Parker Kliergerman

26. Marcos Ambrose

27. David Gilliland

28. Casey Mears

29. David Ragen

30. Jamie McMurray

31. David Reutimann

32. JJ Yeley

33. Landon Cassill

34. Ken Shrader

35. Joe Nemechek

36. AJ Allmindinger

37. Travis Kvapil

38. Dave Blaney

39. Paul Menard

40. Trevor Bayne

41. Josh Wise

42. Tony Raines

43. Michael McDowell

Truck Series Championship:

MATT CRAFTON

Truck rookie of the Year:

RYAN BLANEY (Dave Blaney's son)

Nationwide Series Championship:

AUSTIN DILLON

Nationwide Series Rookie of the Year:

KYLE LARSON

Sprint Cup Championship:

JIMMIE JOHNSON

Sprint Cup Rookie of the year:

I don't know yet, but will keep you updated when I find out. I am willing to bet it will be Stenhouse Jr or Danica Patrick.

TOP THIRTEEN POINTS:

1. Jimmie Johnson

2. Matt Kenseth

3. Kevin Harvick

4. Kyle Busch

5. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

6. Jeff Gordon

7. Clint Bowyer

8. Joey Logano

9. Greg Biffle

10. Kurt Busch

11. Ryan Newman

12. Kasey Kahne

13. Carl Edwards

14. Brad Keselowski

Top thirteen in points are the Chase drivers. Top ten in Chase will get to go to the Banquet they have in a few weeks. While Brad Keselowski finished fourteenth to earn the million dollars the first none chase driver earns. Points are unofficial until tomorrow when they will make it official after going over everything.

And with that...the season is over and we have 98 more days until the Daytona five hundred!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations to Jimmie Johnson for winning his sixth championship.

I was keeping an eye on the mid-table towards the end. Aric Almirola managed to finish ahead of Ricky Stenhouse Jr (who had a mediocre second half of the race), but Ricky stayed ahead of Jeff Burton. I think that means that Ricky finished 19th in the table, which isn't bad for a rookie year, although a few more top-ten finishes would have been nice (he did start a race on pole).

I think my favorite move of the race was Junior doing a sling-shot past Keselowski and Hamlin just before Paul Menard's tire incident.

As well as Sebastian Vettel getting his eighth consecutive win yesterday, there was another record set by the Red Bull team at the US Grand Prix. During the race they managed to change all four of Mark Webber's tires in under two seconds. The time his car was stationary was measured at just 1.923 seconds!

• 7 years later...
On 7/6/2013 at 11:15 PM, Garrett Duke said:

Well the Daytona race has gotten over. And well...it was a typical Daytona race. Though I think the big story is that Jimmie Johnson is the first driver since 1982 to win both February's Daytona's race AND the July's Daytona race.

First half of the race was pretty uneventful. Carl Edwards ran over his tire changer's foot...the tire changer was taking the tape off of Edwards' grill and when the guy who holds the car up for the tire change, dropped the car, Edwards went. ( That is the driver's sign that it is time to go when they drop the car) So he dropped the car and Edwards went to run over his tire changer's foot that got caught on the splitter...luckily it was his shoe that broke to save him and not his foot.

And well things got a bit eventful towards the end of the race...and am sure will forget something. So please forgive me. LOL.

Martin Truex Jr got spun out by Denny Hamlin who in turn took out Juan Pablo Montoya.

Jeff Gordon came to pit road on a yellow third...going out of pits he tried to get passed Joe Nemechek and got into the grass which took him back to twelfth. A few laps later "the big one" came about with Denny Hamlin, AJ Allmindinger, Matt Kenseth,...and Jeff Gordon.

Kasey Kahne went up to challenge Jimmie Johnson only to get into Ambrose and slung out into the infield and out of the race.

And on the last lap...(if they wreck on the last lap, the race is over if the caution drops) two big accidents happen at two different places, but NASCAR keeps it green and Jimmie goes on to win the race. Tony Stewart came home second.

Daytona's final results

Sorry to tell you this, Hoss, but Ricky Stenhouse Jr was taken out on the last lap by his own girl friend...

Cousin Garrett Duke... Shame on her! Naughty girl! lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2013 at 12:52 AM, Garrett Duke said:

As Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane would say...I got some baaad news, baaadd news. ;):(

The boys...and Danica are racing at Chicagoland tomorrow/today which is the closest track to where I live...and all week they have been predicting rain/thunderstorms this Sunday (which we need...just wish it wasn't race day...) and after hearing talk on Twitter, I finally looked it up for Joliet Illinois where Chicagoland is at. They have a SEVENTY percent chance of rain on Sunday. Just read someone say on Twitter that the rain is suppose to start in the morning and end around nine or ten at night!

So if it rains it will mean hours of delay before they cancel it and race on Monday around noon...when I have to be at work.

Bet you can guess who is NOT happy with this, right? :(:roll:

Cousin Garrett Duke... Danica Patrick is pretty. ;)