2013 NASCAR race reviews and results

Garrett Duke

Congratulations on your big Jeff Gordon win Garrett.

I was so happy for you to see him finish #1.

And no, I didn't pick him in our fantasy league.

I'm not sure but I think I can only pick him once more. I know I'm out of Dale Jr picks.

Thanks Roger! It has been a couple of days and I am still on cloud nine with all of this! Super excited! :awesome:

Do believe I can use Gordon and Johnson two more times each...and with three races left, guess that leaves me covered. HA. :)

This Sunday's race is the AAA Texas 500 from the Texas Motor Speedway. Garrett, I guess you'll be reasonably happy with Jimmie Johnson in third and Jeff Gordon in eighth, although Ricky is only one place behind :).

1 Carl Edwards

2 Brad Keselowski

3 Jimmie Johnson

4 Paul Menard

5 Kyle Busch

6 Matt Kenseth

7 Dale Earnhardt Jr

8 Jeff Gordon

9 Ricky Stenhouse Jr

10 Marcos Ambrose

11 Kasey Kahne

12 Joey Logano

13 Ryan Newman

14 Denny Hamlin

15 Martin Truex Jr

16 Juan Pablo Montoya

17 Aric Almirola

18 Greg Biffle

19 Kevin Harvick

20 Jeff Burton

21 Austin Dillon

22 Bobby Labonte

23 Parker Kligerman

24 Jamie McMurray

25 Elliott Sadler

26 Clint Bowyer

27 Casey Mears

28 David Gilliland

29 David Ragan

30 Danica Patrick

31 Kurt Busch

32 Trevor Bayne

33 Mark Martin

34 Josh Wise

35 Michael McDowell

36 Kyle Larson

37 Landon Cassill

38 Travis Kvapil

39 David Reutimann

40 Timmy Hill

41 Joe Nemechek

42 Dave Blaney

43 J.J. Yeley

NASCAR.com says the race will start at 3:00 PM ET, but with their previous record, and the clocks going back, I'd double-check that if I were you. Live coverage is on ESPN.

Thanks Hoss for covering for me...was busy last night and then again today.

Am I the only one finding it hard to believe that there is only THREE more races left? (And that is including tomorrow's race at Texas!) Where has this season gone? Am already dreading that AWEFUL NASCAR off season and the withdrawal that comes from it...and looking forward to Daytona!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Three races to go and as of now, Johnson and Kenseth are tied in points. (If the season ends in a tie they would go by the most wins...which right now Kenseth has more wins than Johnson.) And guess who is now lurking in third place...twenty-seven points behind? JEFF GORDON!!!!!!!!! I will admit with how this season has gone, I really didn't see Gordon getting this close, but yet never gave up hope. Just as Gordon and his team has ran with a never give up attitude. And if I have to be realistically, it is a long shot at him winning his fifth championship. Gordon will need three perfect races and for Kenseth and Johnson to slip up. I still have hope and believe if anyone can do it, it is Gordon and his team. (I really want him to win that fifth championship before he retires. I know he has four championships to his name, but the first two he got before I was a fan and the last two he got when I was a fan, but didn't know enough about NASCAR to know he even won the championships until a couple of years later when I fully understood the sport...so I really want to experience him winning a championship. One I can understand and celebrate with!)

I am glad to see Johnson starting third and Gordon eighth...both are good starting positions and hope they can finish just as good if not better. With Gordon this close and Johnson tied for the lead...I am beyond NERVOUS! LOL. Just wish I could know how Gordon and Johnson finish the season and then watch the last three races...HA HA.

I will keep you all updated with the race tomorrow...no matter what time it is. For all who change times...don't forget to turn your clocks back an hour tonight before going to bed! Woo hoo...will love that extra hour of sleep!

It's a little ironic that tires would be an issue because only a few laps before Kyle Busch crashed, the commentators mentioned the Goodyear blimp and gave a huge plug to Goodyear saying how amazing it was that they could make tires for Texas. I haven't seen Gordon's tires, but Busch's were pretty shredded.

It's a little ironic that tires would be an issue because only a few laps before Kyle Busch crashed, the commentators mentioned the Goodyear blimp and gave a huge plug to Goodyear saying how amazing it was that they could make tires for Texas. I haven't seen Gordon's tires, but Busch's were pretty shredded.

Well Goodyear made some pretty bad tires for Texas...wouldn't be too proud of them if I were Goodyear. :( I will attempt to post a picture of Gordon's tires...hopefully it works.

Gordon's shredded tire

Sorry couldn't figure out how to post the picture on here...

Well the big story coming into today's race was the points...and leaving the race tonight, the big story will once again be the points. Jimmie Johnson and Matt Kenseth continues to be strong.

Carl Edwards started from the pole and led 38 laps...but ended the day short with a DNF with engine failure.

Kyle Busch early on in the race hit the wall pretty hard, but was able to stay in the race and was able to race towards the front.

Sadly Jeff Gordon had the same tire issues, but hit the wall harder and stayed behind the wall in his garage for a long time to work out all the damage...came back out with 73 laps or so to go. Anything to gain an extra point.

Matt Kenseth, who came into the race tied with JJ for the lead, was strong today but did get caught speeding on pit road and had to do a drive through penalty. Though that didn't slow him down for too long as he was quick to race his way to the front.

Jimmie Johnson had the most dominant car and has led the most laps today at Texas...and of course had to add drama to it with nineteen laps to go start complaining about something being wrong with the car. Jimmie Johnson led 255 of 334 laps today!!!!! :)

1. Jimmie Johnson

2. Dale Earnhardt Jr

3. Joey Logano

4. Matt Kenseth

5. Kasey Kahne

6. Brad Keselowski

7. Denny Hamlin

8. Kevin Harvick

9. Ryan Newman

10. Clint Bowyer

11. Mark Martin

12. Greg Biffle

13. Kyle Busch

14. Martin Truex Jr.

15. Paul Menard

16. Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

17. Kurt Busch

18. Parker Kligerman

19. Elliot Sadler

20. Juan Pablo Montoya

21. Marcos Ambrose

22. Austin Dillon

23. Kyle Larson

24. Jeff Burton

25. Danica Patrick

26. David Gilliland

27. Aric Almirola

28. David Reutimann

29. Trevor Bayne

30. JJ Yeley

31. Jamie McMurray

32. Travis Kvapil

33. Casey Mears

34. Landon Cassill

35. Dave Blaney

36. Joe Nemechek

37. Carl Edwards

38. Jeff Gordon

39. Josh Wise

40. Bobby Labonte

41. Timmy Hill

42. David Ragen

43. Michael McDowell

Well we now have two races to go...Phoenix and Homestead. Two races...Jimmie Johnson is now the leader in points with Matt Kenseth only seven points behind JJ. Bet y'all can guess who I want to WIN it...how about you?

I didn't get to watch the qualifying in pictures, but I was keeping an eye on the drivers' times as it happened. I was happy enough when I saw Ricky in 16th, but then I realized how many fast drivers still had to qualify. It was worse for Dave Blaney - he started out first and slowly slid down to 42nd. Garrett, your drivers did well again, both inside the top five.

1 Jimmie Johnson

2 Denny Hamlin

3 Joey Logano

4 Kyle Busch

5 Jeff Gordon

6 Clint Bowyer

7 Kasey Kahne

8 Kurt Busch

9 Kevin Harvick

10 Martin Truex Jr

11 Dale Earnhardt Jr

12 Brad Keselowski

13 Paul Menard

14 Matt Kenseth

15 Jeff Burton

16 Mark Martin

17 Ryan Newman

18 Greg Biffle

19 Juan Pablo Montoya

20 Marcos Ambrose

21 Aric Almirola

22 Elliott Sadler

23 Carl Edwards

24 Reed Sorenson

25 Justin Allgaier

26 Bobby Labonte

27 Ricky Stenhouse Jr

28 Josh Wise

29 Cole Whitt

30 Casey Mears

31 Travis Kvapil

32 Danica Patrick

33 David Gilliland

34 David Ragan

35 J.J. Yeley

36 Jamie McMurray

37 David Reutimann

38 Timmy Hill

39 Michael McDowell

40 Landon Cassill

41 Tony Raines

42 Dave Blaney

43 Joe Nemechek

The AdvoCare 500 from the Phoenix International Raceway is on this Sunday at 3:00 PM ET. Live coverage is on ESPN.

I didn't get to watch the qualifying in pictures, but I was keeping an eye on the drivers' times as it happened. I was happy enough when I saw Ricky in 16th, but then I realized how many fast drivers still had to qualify. It was worse for Dave Blaney - he started out first and slowly slid down to 42nd. Garrett, your drivers did well again, both inside the top five.

1 Jimmie Johnson

2 Denny Hamlin

3 Joey Logano

4 Kyle Busch

5 Jeff Gordon

6 Clint Bowyer

7 Kasey Kahne

8 Kurt Busch

9 Kevin Harvick

10 Martin Truex Jr

11 Dale Earnhardt Jr

12 Brad Keselowski

13 Paul Menard

14 Matt Kenseth

15 Jeff Burton

16 Mark Martin

17 Ryan Newman

18 Greg Biffle

19 Juan Pablo Montoya

20 Marcos Ambrose

21 Aric Almirola

22 Elliott Sadler

23 Carl Edwards

24 Reed Sorenson

25 Justin Allgaier

26 Bobby Labonte

27 Ricky Stenhouse Jr

28 Josh Wise

29 Cole Whitt

30 Casey Mears

31 Travis Kvapil

32 Danica Patrick

33 David Gilliland

34 David Ragan

35 J.J. Yeley

36 Jamie McMurray

37 David Reutimann

38 Timmy Hill

39 Michael McDowell

40 Landon Cassill

41 Tony Raines

42 Dave Blaney

43 Joe Nemechek

The AdvoCare 500 from the Phoenix International Raceway is on this Sunday at 3:00 PM ET. Live coverage is on ESPN.

Thanks again Hoss...don't know what my deal is. Friday night comes and suddenly something comes up and I don't get to the computer...thanks for covering for me. Sorry to hear about Stenhouse...but it don't matter where you start, it matters where you end the race. :) Though I am super excited with how my guys have started...now if only they can end that way!

In the truck series...Darrell Wallace Jr won his first race the other week. Seems like it has gone to his head or something...in final practice Thursday night he got in a wreck with another truck. To me it looks like Wallace Jr went down where there wasn't no room and got spun around. Apparently Wallace doesn't see it that way. He immediately walked to the other driver who was still in the truck and began yelling at him and then leaned in a couple of times into the guy's truck, looking to punch the other guy. They both got called into the NASCAR hauler, but have yet to hear if any punishments will be handed out. If it was in the race, I would say it was in the heat of the moment. Things are tense and what not. But in practice? NASCAR needs to step in and let 'em know that enough is enough already...

Hopefully we won't see none of that tomorrow and all of our drivers will have a clean and safe race. :)

Phoenix race is in the books and talk about a crazy race. It started from the beginning where Joey Logano got into Jimmie Johnson at the start of the race and sent Johnson back, though Johnson saved his car. Later on in the race, Carl Edwards got into the back of Jimmie Johnson and JJ almost spun out, but regained control of his car. Another story of the race was Matt Kenseth's continual struggle with his car which has separated him from Jimmie Johnson in points.

Do believe there was eight cautions and one was with Danica Patrick who was the innocent victim of a wreck. Most cautions was out for people spinning. David Reutimann is lucky for all the safety devices NASCAR has as he had hit the wall HARD and flattened the rear of his car and he was able to walk away from it. Last caution was for debris that the camera did show...so at least there was a real reason for caution.

Kevin Harvick led the most laps and at one point ran out of gas but was definitely able to recover from the pitfall.

With one lap to go...Carl Edwards was leading the race and was expecting to do his victory backward flip that he does out from the window of his car, only on the LAST lap, he ran out of gas and the closer, Kevin Harvick came forward to win the race. His fourth win of the season....

FINAL RESULTS:

1. Kevin Harvick

2. Kasey Kahne

3. Jimmie Johnson

4. Dale Earnhardt Jr

5. Kurt Busch

6. Juan Pablo Montoya

7. Kyle Busch

8. Martin Truex Jr

9. Joey Logano

10. Ryan Newman

11. Brad Keselowski

12. Ricky Stenhouse Jr

13. Greg Biffle

14. Jeff Gordon

15. Mark Martin

16. Paul Menard

17. Jeff Burton

18. Jamie McMurray

19. Aric Almirola

20. Clint Bowyer

21. Carl Edwards

22. Bobby Labonte

23. Matt Kenseth

24. David Gilliland

25. Elliot Sadler

26. Marcos Ambrose

27. Casey Mears

28. Denny Hamlin

29. JJ Yeley

30. Dave Blaney

31. Justin Allgaier

32. Michael McDowell

33. Danica Patrick

34. Timmy Hill

35. David Ragen

36. Josh Wise

37. Reed Sorenson

38. Joe Nemechek

39. David Reutimann

40. Cole Whitt

41. Travis Kvapil

42. Landon Cassill

43. Tony Raines

Well heading into Homestead next weekend, the final race of the season, Matt Kenseth is now twenty-seven points behind Jimmie Johnson. Matt Kenseth will have to have ultimate point race. Pole, lead the most laps, win the race...and Jimmie Johnson finish 24th or worse. All Johnson has to do is finish in the top 23rd next weekend...otherwise if both JJ and Kenseth has horrible races, Harvick is still mathematically in the hunt in third place.

So hard to believe that we are going into the last race of the season...personally, I am DREADING the off season! :( Already looking forward to the Daytona 500!

That was an exciting finish today. Ricky dropped back to 20th after pitting at the last caution, but then made up some places quite quickly. Sorry Garrett, but I cheered when he passed JG and his team mate, Biffle, on the same lap. He was even closing on Keselowski for a while, but got the extra place thanks to Carl Edwards running out of gas. As someone once said, "it don't matter where you start, it matters where you end the race", and I'm happy with 27th to 12th. The result also puts Ricky two points ahead of Jeff Burton and Aric Almirola :).

Well at least someone was happy with it... ;) Happy for you that Stenhouse Jr did well for you today. Gordon did well until the last restart and then went backwards. Ah well...still fifth or sixth in points. If he finishes in the top five, it will feel like a win for him. :)

On the other hand... there is 104 more days until the Daytona 500!!!!!

Well y'all...there is thirty-six point races in a NASCAR season. We are going into the thirty-sixth race at Homestead...all that hard work, drama, and excitement of this season has led us to HERE! Going into Homestead Jimmie Johnson has the lead in points by 27 points over Matt Kenseth. 34 points over Harvick. Pretty much all Johnson has to do is finish in the top twenty-three...and that is IF Matt Kenseth leads the most laps and wins the race. (By now, I bet y'all know who I want to win this...who I am rooting for!) Who all are you going for?

Matt Kenseth is off to a good start as he has won the pole for the Ford Ecoburst race at Homestead...though Jimmie isn't far behind as he will be starting seventh.

Official qualifying results:

1. Matt Kenseth

2. Kurt Busch

3. Joey Logano

4. Brad Keselowski

5. Denny Hamlin

6. Kevin Harvick

7. Jimmie Johnson

8. Martin Trues Jr.

9. Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

10. Elliot Sadler

11. Kyle Busch

12. Paul Menard

13. Kasey Kahne

14. Jeff Burton

15. Ryan Newman

16. Greg Biffle

17. Trevor Bayne

18. Carl Edwards

19. Aric Almirola

20. Kyle Larson

21. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

22. Mark Martin

23. Marcos Ambrose

24. Danica Patrick

25. Clint Bowyer

26. Jeff Gordon

27. Juan Pablo Montoya

28. Jamie McMurray

29. David Ragen

30. Parker Kligerman

31. David Gilliland

32. David Reutimann

33. Travis Kvapil

34. Michael McDowell

35. Josh Wise

36. AJ Allmendinger

37. JJ Yele

38. Dave Blaney

39. Landon Cassill

40. Casey Mears

41. Ken Shrader

42. Joe Nemechek

43. Tony Raines

Well congrats Hoss on Ricky's great qualifying run. Don't know what went wrong with Jr or Gordon, but am not happy to see them starting all the way back there. Ah well...it is where they finish that counts. Hope they can at least get a top ten Sunday. Though Gordon got the win last year at Homestead...and am hoping for a repeat. ;)

As always I am looking forward to Sunday's race...and yet dreading it. Dreading it knowing that once the checkered flag drops I will have to wait 98 LONG days until Daytona! Anxious to see who gets crowned the champion (with hopes of it being you know who...) and yet don't want it to end. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate NASCAR's off season? :roll:

This race means so much for different drivers. Some are going for the championship. Some are going for max points to get as far up in the Chase as they go. And there is quite the few drivers who are racing their last race with the team they have raced with for the past few years or more. Come Daytona a lot of teams will have different drivers racing for them. But I will go over that after the race or sometime next week. Right now, I am focused on Homestead...will keep you updated after the race as always. And do my best to keep you informed during the off season as well. ;)

Well, in a break from the norm this week, I actually got to see the qualifying and Garrett beat me to the write-up ;).

Kurt Busch set the early pace, and I was pleased that Ricky Stenhouse Jr held 4th for a while on exactly the same time as Martin Truex Jr. Jimmie Johnson's looking good in 7th, but Jeff Gordon, who qualified straight after Jimmie, starts back in 26th. Elliot Sadler's team were delighted with 10th. In the end, Matt Kenseth got the pole despite a valiant effort by Brad Keselowski, who went last. Sunday is likely to the last Sprint Cup race for 58-year-old Ken Schrader, who starts 41st - read more here.

Sunday's Ford EcoBoost 400 from the Homestead-Miami Speedway starts at 3 PM ET, and is live on ESPN.

Don't forget that F1 is in the USA this week. The action at Austin starts at 2 PM ET (as long as there's no more fog), so y'all can watch some of the F1 race before the engines are started in Miami.

Well after thirty-five point races has led us to here. TODAY. Homestead Miami. The pre race show is on now on ESPN. The championship title is fight between three drivers. Jimmie Johnson who is first in points, Matt Kenseth who is 28 points behind JJ, and Kevin Harvick who is 34 points behind JJ. In order for JJ to win the race, he has to finish 23rd or better. 24th or better if he leads a lap. 25th or better if he leads the most lap.

For Kenseth to win the race...he will need to lead the most laps, win the race, and have JJ finish 24th or worse.

As for me, I am hoping JJ will go from Mr. five time to six pack...winning his sixth championship.

How about you?