2013 NASCAR race reviews and results

Garrett Duke

Well, qualifying for the Camping World RV Sales 301 at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway has just finished. I didn't see all of it, but I believe all of the top ten broke the lap record.

Jimmie Johnson failed initial inspection because of some problem with his car's side skirt and had to go through a second inspection before qualifying out of turn.

Morgan Shepherd is set to become the oldest Sprint Cup driver at the age of 71. Only eight of the other drivers had been born when he made his debut.

David Stremme had some kind of problem, but I only tuned in as he was coming back to pit lane, so I missed what was up.

Here's the provisional starting order:

1 Brad Keselowski

2 Jimmie Johnson

3 Kurt Busch

4 Dale Earnhardt Jr.

5 Kyle Busch

6 Jeff Gordon

7 Carl Edwards

8 Denny Hamlin

9 Kasey Kahne

10 Jeff Burton

11 Juan Pablo Montoya

12 Jamie McMurray

13 Matt Kenseth

14 Brian Vickers

15 Paul Menard

16 Ryan Newman

17 Tony Stewart

18 Aric Almirola

19 Kevin Harvick

20 Martin Truex Jr.

21 Clint Bowyer

22 Marcos Ambrose

23 Greg Biffle

24 Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

25 David Gilliland

26 AJ Allmendinger

27 Joey Logano

28 David Reutimann

29 Casey Mears

30 David Ragan

31 Michael McDowell

32 Travis Kvapil

33 Danica Patrick

34 Bobby Labonte

35 Mike Bliss

36 Josh Wise

37 Landon Cassill

38 Ken Schrader

39 Joe Nemechek

40 Dave Blaney

41 J.J. Yeley

42 Morgan Shepherd

43 David Stremme

The race starts at 01:00 PM ET on Sunday.

The last I heard was that JJ will start in the back due to failing inspection...something about the skirt of the car.

Well y'all, bet you can guess who is NOT happy :-o about this. Last week, at Daytona - one of the fastest tracks on the schedule, 31 drivers failed pre race inspection for manipulating their roof flaps - which keeps their cars on the track in accidents and from flipping - and all NASCAR did was take the roof flaps away and made them put new ones on.

But this week, with Jimmie Johnson, it is a whole different outcome...instead of starting second as he should...he will be starting in the back.

Am I the only one seeing something WRONG with all of this?

Well, it matters where you finish the race, not where you start. You make JJ mad more than not, he ends up going to the front or winning the race.

Despite that, this NASCAR fan, is NOT happy with NASCAR's lack of consistency with their penalizing...if they aren't going to penalize those 31 drivers for MANIPULATING their roof flaps, they shouldn't be taking JJ's qualify lap away from him. :(

Sorry...my opinion. And had to vent...:mad:

When I posted the starting lineup I was under the impression that JJ had passed the second inspection and everything was fine. I think the difference between this issue and the roof flaps is that JJ qualified with an illegal car whereas the 31 last week all fixed their cars before qualifying. It's still a tough decision to take when it's your driver - at least JG moves up to 5th :).

When I posted the starting lineup I was under the impression that JJ had passed the second inspection and everything was fine. I think the difference between this issue and the roof flaps is that JJ qualified with an illegal car whereas the 31 last week all fixed their cars before qualifying. It's still a tough decision to take when it's your driver - at least JG moves up to 5th :).

Yeah maybe so...still not happy about it.

Guess you are right...it does give Gordon an extra spot. Only positive thing about it...

I thought Garrett might post the results last night, but, since I had a few minutes to spare, I thought I'd do it myself.

Kurt Busch led most laps (102), but got into a wreck with Ryan Newman around lap 230. Tony Stewart led 84 laps, but ran out of fuel at the end, and came home as the last car in the lead lap. The race ended with a green-white-checkered-flag finish, and the surprise winner was Brian Vickers, the part-time driver with Michael Waltrip Racing.

Jimmie Johnson didn't let starting from the back get in the way of a top ten finish, eventually coming home in 6th.

Ricky was progressing nicely at around 20th for most of the race until Danica took him and Travis Kvapil out on lap 237. There were several other spins and small crashes, but nothing on the scale of last week's race.

1. Brian Vickers

2. Kyle Busch

3. Jeff Burton

4. Brad Keselowski

5. Aric Almirola

6. Jimmie Johnson

7. Kevin Harvick

8. Carl Edwards

9. Matt Kenseth

10. Jeff Gordon

11. Kasey Kahne

12. Jamie McMurray

13. Clint Bowyer

14. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

15. Greg Biffle, Ford

16. Martin Truex Jr.

17. Paul Menard

18. David Gilliland

19. David Ragan

20. David Stremme

21. Denny Hamlin

22. A J Allmendinger

23. Dave Blaney

24. Juan Pablo Montoya

25. Joe Nemechek

26. Tony Stewart

27. Bobby Labonte

28. David Reutimann

29. J.J. Yeley

30. Ken Schrader

31. Kurt Busch

32. Landon Cassill

33. Marcos Ambrose

34. Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

35. Josh Wise

36. Casey Mears

37. Danica Patrick

38. Travis Kvapil

39. Ryan Newman

40. Joey Logano

41. Morgan Shepherd

42. Michael McDowell

43. Mike Bliss

Thanks Hoss...had a busy weekend with family at home from out of state. Did watch the race, but didn't want to take time out to write the review. By the time I got away and was online, didn't have the time to write the review. Just hopped on to see how bad I did in my NASCAR fantasy since Yahoo Fantasy will be down today. Was going to do the review today...but you beat me to it. :( Sorry Hoss for slacking this weekend...and thanks for picking up for me. :)

You did a great job with your review...loved the part on how Jimmie Johnson didn't let NASCAR slow him down by penalizing him as they did. Wish he would've won to show them off...but sixth ain't too bad for ol' five time! :D Though I am VERY excited for Brian Vickers. He is a great guy and love seeing him in Victory Lane...not as much as my Hendrick boys, but was very happy for him. So excited that this is his last year of racing part time (for awhile at least) as Brian Vickers will finally have a full time ride in 2014 in the 55 car at Michael Waltrip Racing.

Though you did forget to mention one of the big deals that happened yesterday in the race...then again, perhaps it is a big deal to me since it is Jeff Gordon and he's only the best driver on the track...:lol:. Oops...what I meant to say was that it is Jeff Gordon and since he's my favorite driver and all...:p

It has been a day and am still upset at Paul Menard and how he disrespected Jeff Gordon the way he did. I can't recall what lap they were on...they were towards the end. Perhaps with thirty laps to go or something like that. Gordon was twentieth or so due to pit strategy that put him back there. He went to pass Paul Menard. Mind you, Jeff slid right in front of Paul Menard. But did NOT TOUCH Menard...at all! Menard got mad at how Jeff passed him and INTENTIONALLY spun Jeff out. Bet y'all can guess who was fuming at that time of the race, right? :-o Not only did he do it on purpose, he radioed it into his crew chief saying he did it on purpose and his cc told him he should do it more often! :roll:

What made it worse was the announcers on TNT all siding with Menard...feeling bad for him.. Saying it is the end of the race, late in the day, he's frustrated and tired of being run into.

As if Jeff Gordon isn't.

Well, despite Paul Menard's spinning Gordon INTENTIONALLY...instead of paying Menard back with a dose of his own medicine, Gordon let his skill, talent behind the wheel do his talking. Where Paul Menard finished 17th...Jeff Gordon finished tenth. Which I am very proud of the 24 team...and the 48 team. Great examples to live by...NEVER GIVE UP!

Still wrecking Gordon on purpose like that...very UNCOOL! I would understand it if Gordon bumped him or wrecked him...but Gordon didn't even touch him. Sure he did a slide job on Menard (Menard can't possibly say he has never done that to anyone...they all do it. It is racing!) but he didn't touch Menard or wreck him or anything else like that.

OK sorry for my rant...just can't believe Hoss forgot to mention the one thing that should have had top priority in his review...if you going to write a review, Hoss...don't forget about Gordon. :D (Sorry Hoss for giving you a hard time...you did a great job. You know me, have to vent when something like that happens.)

We are off next weekend before racing at Indy on July 28th...on ESPN. No more TNT until next year. Though personally...wish they would just keep the races on FOX... my opinion, of course. ;)

What made it worse was the announcers on TNT all siding with Menard...feeling bad for him.. Saying it is the end of the race, late in the day, he's frustrated and tired of being run into.

As if Jeff Gordon isn't.

Surely "the best driver on the track" doesn't get frustrated and tired ;).

I'm sorry I left out the Gordon/Menard incident, but I missed the start of it and only caught the end of the replay.

Surely "the best driver on the track" doesn't get frustrated and tired ;).

I'm sorry I left out the Gordon/Menard incident, but I missed the start of it and only caught the end of the replay.

Well Hoss, what can I say? You are right again...why didn't I think of that? LOL. No wonder why they were just focusing on Menard...

No problem, Hoss...was just giving you a hard time amongst my venting. Just irritated about the whole thing. Gordon finished tenth, so he was able to over come it, it is just the whole concept of why Menard did it and that he did it on purpose...and admit to doing it purpose. And yet NASCAR won't say nothing to him. :(

You did good in your review...thanks for filling in for me. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the line up for Sunday's race at Indy:

Ryan Newman

Jimmie Johnson

Carl Edwards

Denny Hamlin

Tony Stewart

Kurt Busch

Kasey Kahne

Juan Pablo Montoya

Jeff Gordon

Marcos Ambrose

Joey Logano

Brad Keselowski

Matt Kenseth

A J Allmendinger

Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Jeff Burton

Clint Bowyer

Jamie McMurray

Kyle Busch

Austin Dillon

Aric Almirola

Travis Kvapil

Paul Menard

Kevin Harvick

Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

Mark Martin

Greg Biffle

Trevor Bayne

Landon Cassill

Casey Mears

David Reutimann

Josh Wise

Danica Patrick

Bobby Labonte

Michael McDowell

David Ragan

Mike Bliss

David Stremme

Martin Truex Jr.

J.J. Yeley

Joe Nemechek

Dave Blaney

David Gilliland

Well Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson are going into this race favored due to them both having the most wins at Indy...both having four. Jeff Gordon won the inaugural race in '97 (I think).

Also remember, the race will no longer be on TNT...you go to TNT you will be watching something other than NASCAR. ;) The race will be on channel ESPN on Sunday at Pre race on at 12:00 PM with the race starting 1:00 PM EST.

I'm going to have to pay more attention tomorrow. I tuned in for the end of today's qualifying and could've sworn the commentator said that Ryan Newman was driving for Stewart-Hoss, and I started to worry that I should've been at Indianapolis to watch my driver :).

Also remember, the race will no longer be on TNT...you go to TNT you will be watching something other than NASCAR. ;).

TNT are showing 'Rush Hour 3' with Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker at that time - I know what I'll be watching :).

BTW. If you do have NBCSP, you'll be able to watch the Hungarian Grand Prix at 1 PM EST.

I'm going to have to pay more attention tomorrow. I tuned in for the end of today's qualifying and could've sworn the commentator said that Ryan Newman was driving for Stewart-Hoss, and I started to worry that I should've been at Indianapolis to watch my driver :).

TNT are showing 'Rush Hour 3' with Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker at that time - I know what I'll be watching :).

BTW. If you do have NBCSP, you'll be able to watch the Hungarian Grand Prix at 1 PM EST.

Sorry to burst your bubble Hoss, but you didn't somehow inherit Ryan Newman, Tony Stewart, and Danica Patrick as your team of drivers...may have sounded like Hoss, but it was Stewart - HASS racing.

I did find out that my parents' cable does have NBCSP...but I am not going to the Grand Prix race. My channel will be set on ESPN for NASCAR at Indy...

Well the Brickyard 500 race is now over and though I loved every moment of it...but there isn't much to report about. Ryan Newman started from the pole and won from the pole. Jimmie Johnson started second and finished second.

1. Ryan Newman

2. Jimmie Johnson

3. Kasey Kahne

4. Tony Stewart

5. Matt Kenseth

6. Dale Earnhardt Jr

7. Jeff Gordon

8. Joey Logano

9. Juan Pablo Montoya

10. Kyle Busch

Brickyard 500 finishes

We are at the tricky triangle next Sunday...Pocono.

Great day for team Hendrick as all four Hendrick cars finish in the top ten...plus Stewart and Newman have Hendrick engines in them.

Ryan Newman started from the pole and won from the pole. Jimmie Johnson started second and finished second.

You forgot Ricky Stenhouse Jr. started 25th and finished 25th ;).

Trevor Bayne also started 28th and finished 28th - there may be others.

I'm happy for your sake that JG had another good one. How many seconds did Junior beat him by?

According to the results on www.crash.net, it looks like Jr beat JG by 0.096 seconds.

Here's the top ten so you can check the math:

1. #39 Ryan Newman Stewart-Haas Racing 160 laps 2hrs 36mins 22secs

2. #48 Jimmie Johnson Hendrick Motorsports + 2.657s

3. #5 Kasey Kahne Hendrick Motorsports + 3.183s

4. #14 Tony Stewart Stewart-Haas Racing + 15.465s

5. #20 Matt Kenseth Joe Gibbs Racing + 21.579s

6. #88 Dale Earnhardt Jr Hendrick Motorsports + 22.377s

7. #24 Jeff Gordon Hendrick Motorsports + 22.473s

8. #22 Joey Logano Penske Racing + 23.539s

9. #42 Juan Pablo Montoya Earnhardt Ganassi Racing + 24.510s

10. #18 Kyle Busch Joe Gibbs Racing + 24.731s

According to the results on www.crash.net, it looks like Jr beat JG by 0.096 seconds.

Here's the top ten so you can check the math:

1. #39 Ryan Newman Stewart-Haas Racing 160 laps 2hrs 36mins 22secs

2. #48 Jimmie Johnson Hendrick Motorsports + 2.657s

3. #5 Kasey Kahne Hendrick Motorsports + 3.183s

4. #14 Tony Stewart Stewart-Haas Racing + 15.465s

5. #20 Matt Kenseth Joe Gibbs Racing + 21.579s

6. #88 Dale Earnhardt Jr Hendrick Motorsports + 22.377s

7. #24 Jeff Gordon Hendrick Motorsports + 22.473s

8. #22 Joey Logano Penske Racing + 23.539s

9. #42 Juan Pablo Montoya Earnhardt Ganassi Racing + 24.510s

10. #18 Kyle Busch Joe Gibbs Racing + 24.731s

As I said...he finished too far ahead of Gordon. ;)

Though why would you trust a site that has Crash in it's title? LOL

Tomorrow's race is the GoBowling.com 400 from Pocono Raceway. I didn't get to see the qualifying this week, but it looks like they just managed to squeeze it in around the rain that affected both practice sessions. Here's the starting line-up according to NASCAR.com:

1 Jimmie Johnson

2 Kyle Busch

3 Carl Edwards

4 Ryan Newman

5 Kurt Busch

6 Joey Logano

7 Greg Biffle

8 Marcos Ambrose

9 Denny Hamlin

10 Aric Almirola

11 Brad Keselowski

12 Jamie McMurray

13 Jeff Burton

14 Kevin Harvick

15 AJ Allmendinger

16 Clint Bowyer

17 Ricky Stenhouse Jr

18 Kasey Kahne

19 Juan Pablo Montoya

20 Tony Stewart

21 Paul Menard

22 Jeff Gordon

23 Travis Kvapil

24 Matt Kenseth

25 Dale Earnhardt Jr

26 Martin Truex Jr

27 Michael McDowell

28 Mark Martin

29 Casey Mears

30 David Ragan

31 David Stremme

32 Dave Blaney

33 Bobby Labonte

34 Danica Patrick

35 David Reutimann

36 J.J. Yeley

37 David Gilliland

38 Landon Cassill

39 Joe Nemechek

40 Josh Wise

41 Timmy Hill

42 Alex Kennedy

43 Tony Raines

The race is Sunday, August 04 1:00 PM ET on ESPN.